25GB in 70 seconds with USB 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

soumya

In the zone
At the Windows Hardware Engineering Conference (WinHEC) 2008, USB-IF President, Jeff Ravencraft revealed that the new specifications for USB 3.0 would be fully released on November 17 at the SuperSpeed USB Developers Conference in San Jose. The USB 3.0 architecture is also named SuperSpeed USB due to its incredible 5 gigabit per second (Gbps) data transfer speed.

*thefutureofthings.com/upload/items_icons/USB-3.0-mini.jpg

The USB 3.0 specification guarantees an increased performance of 10 times compared to the capabilities of the current USB 2.0, providing a bandwidth of 600 MB/s second. Devices employing USB 3.0 specifications are planned to be available to consumers in 2009 or 2010 and would be backwards compatible with USB 2.0 and USB 1.1.

“Delays have held USB 3.0 back,” said Lars Giusti of Microsoft. However, he predicts that the fully signed-off USB 3.0 specifications would only be presented to the implementers in the USB 3.0 Promoter Groups in 2009. Subsequently, it would take approximately another year until broad-scale product deployment of host controllers, devices, and systems utilizing USB 3.0 would be available in the market.

President and general manager of the chipset business unit at AMD, Phil Eisler, released a statement saying, "The future of computing and consumer devices is increasingly visual and bandwidth intensive. Lifestyles filled with HD media and digital audio demand quick and universal data transfer. USB 3.0 is an answer to the future bandwidth need of the PC platform.”

Source

From what I read the last time, these freaks were arguing about the shape of the USB 3.0 port though Intel and others had decided on the technology long back.

Glad to see that the stuff has materialised at last.

Its amazing to know that USB 3.0 will be comparable in speed to SATA II.

But I think this might also possibly result in a reduction of number of other ports, possibly reduction in no. of PCIe 2.0 Lanes by a few numbers, to allow entry of USB 3.0 lanes instead.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Technology changes fast. With the change in port, it'd mean it won't be backward compatible??!

But I think this might also possibly result in a reduction of number of other ports, possibly reduction in no. of PCIe 2.0 Lanes by a few numbers, to allow entry of USB 3.0 lanes instead.
What??!!! :confused:

Pathik

Google Bot
Nope. The new connector will be divided in 2 parts. And it will be backward compatible with USB 2.0

Technology changes fast. With the change in port, it'd mean it won't be backward compatible??!

What??!!! :confused:
I said the bandwidth for USB lanes would increase, due to which some other lanes from existing motherboards may have to be used up to compensate for this.

If USB 3.0 is as fast as it claims, a PCI-to-USB3.0 card would provide only one USB 3.0 port.
Nope. The new connector will be divided in 2 parts. And it will be backward compatible with USB 2.0
2 parts ?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Not entirely a correct way to put it. The extra pins will now be placed at the opposite side so that USB 1.1 and 2.0 connectors will cut them off and only the USB 3.0 connectors will haf access to it.

I said the bandwidth for USB lanes would increase, due to which some other lanes from existing motherboards may have to be used up to compensate for this.
You are talking in terms of 1x cards. By the time USB3 devices will be common we'd prolly haf PCI-E 3.0!

parthbarot

In the zone
i thought this when i read this 2 days before... that how much it will cost us to replace our existing 2.0 ports? Also if your PC is having USB 3.0, all the hardwares we use with USB also gonna have 3.0 na, OW we will not get such great speed i think...

what you guys say?

but this gonna make blast when you have all devices having 3.0 USB .. amazing... :)

regards

nvidia

-----ATi-----
^^Initially the prices will be very high, maybe more than that too.. They will come down eventually..

As for firewire 800 ports today and usb 2.0 ports of 2004, all you need to do to get usb 3.0 support is to buy a PCI or PCIe 1x usb 3.0 port reader card which provides a handful of expansion slots.

I hope we can see cards fitting in PCIe 1x 2.0 ports with a handful of USB 3.0 and FireWire 800 slots for under 1K within an year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom