Xperia mini or Moto DEFY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soumik

Padawan
Hey guys, i am handling X8 for 2 days now. (I got it from a friend to try and get new covers, screen gaurds and OS for it). My experience says that 3" is simply inadequate to enjoy Android... I own a Defy and my roomie has a Desire. Beside these two, X8's 3" simply feels unusable. No matter the resolution and clarity, 3".. or for that matter, i now feel anything less than 3.5" is not adequate enough to let u enjoy the benefits of a smart phone. Mini Pro does have a hardware querty, but taking it out every time u wanna type a few letters, is surely going to be a pain.
Internals of Mini Pro are good, but its seriously a waste on such a screen. It will feel barely faster than X8. more RAM will help in multitasking, but that about it. dont know the price of mini, but at same price.. Defy is certainly a better choice.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Bro its just that u r used to big screens...I am using 5800's 3.2" and dont face any problem....If u get a 4.3" and after sometime u will say that 3.5 inch is too small...thats natural:smile:

Soumik

Padawan
Hey guys, correct me if i am wrong... Sound quality on a device depends on the bitrate of the file, software which does the playing/rendering of the file, and the transducer inside device which actually produces the final sound. So, theoratically, we can get very similar sound output from any mobile phone we want. So, am not getting the point when u say one device has better sound output compared to the other... Or am i missing something here?

@sujoyp - Come to think of it that way... You do have a point there... :)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Hey guys, correct me if i am wrong... Sound quality on a device depends on the bitrate of the file, software which does the playing/rendering of the file, and the transducer inside device which actually produces the final sound. So, theoratically, we can get very similar sound output from any mobile phone we want. So, am not getting the point when u say one device has better sound output compared to the other... Or am i missing something here?

@sujoyp - Come to think of it that way... You do have a point there... :)

you cannot get to make a phone with poor sound quality sound like a Cowon or iPod. It simply ain't possible.

Soumik

Padawan
Yeah i know that its not possible. But how exactly does this happen? I mean do they have some amazing software inside them? Is it the chipset? Do phones/players have sound cards like in PCs? If so, yes its a wall we cant overcome. But if its just software on the device, we should be able to replicate similar output on Androids.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Yeah i know that its not possible. But how exactly does this happen? I mean do they have some amazing software inside them? Is it the chipset? Do phones/players have sound cards like in PCs? If so, yes its a wall we cant overcome. But if its just software on the device, we should be able to replicate similar output on Androids.

yes sir. they have audio chips. Some use advanced audio SoC like Wolfson's and Yamaha's.

here's Wolfson's list of audio hubs: Audio Hubs | Wolfson Microelectronics

Soumik

Padawan
hmm then its a wall. :(
Any idea where can i get information abt what audio chips the different phones/players use? I never noticed them earlier.
I see the list u gave, but i cant find a mapping to the devices that they are being used in. Lke how to know whats inside my Defy?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
hmm then its a wall. :(
Any idea where can i get information abt what audio chips the different phones/players use? I never noticed them earlier.
I see the list u gave, but i cant find a mapping to the devices that they are being used in. Lke how to know whats inside my Defy?

I don't think it has a powerful or a dedicated audio chip. Galaxy S for example uses WM5100 which is advanced audio SoC. If you want to get better music quality with Defy, try a quality external headphone amp.

randomuser111

Technomancer
From user reports, the mini pro apparently has better audio quality than the Arc, which has as good audio quality as GS2

Defy's proccy can be overclocked past 1Ghz easily. so that problem is solved. also PowerVR SGX 530 outperforms Adreno 205 GPU (former found in Defy. latter found in Xperia Mini Pro).

lastly, 1200mah battery mayn't hold charge long enough to let you enjoy your game. defy has a much bigger battery.

May I know the source behind that statement ? The PowerVR SGX530 in no way outperforms Adreno 205 GPU. It is "arguably" the best Single Core SoC chipset GPU.
Check the Benchmarks by Anandtech yourself. (Possibly one of the more reliable tech source on the Internet) Adreno 205 even beats The SGX540 of the Hummingbird SoC in most tests, the 530 has no chance in front of the Adreno 205.

AnandTech - Samsung's Galaxy S II Preliminary Performance: Mali-400MP Benchmarked

randomuser111

Technomancer
Galaxy SII audio quality is average. SGS audio quality was among the best (after a s/w tweak)

Yes I know. :) But Mini Pro seems promising SQ wise.
Anyways apart from the awesome hardware, I too feel that the mini pro is a bit too small. Screen as well as overall.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
3.2" with better resolution was expected.

anyway they are targeting this for some specific customers. those who are new to smartphone & want "Android only". and have 15k to waste.

Soumik

Padawan
Hmm okay.. so by using external amplifier, eg: Fiio, i can get great audio quality from basically anything that can play a song. The audio chipset from the external amplifier would re-process the song and play it. Thats a good idea actually. How big are they in real life? anyone using them? I mean it would hang on the wire between my cell and my ears.. so how heavy or big are they actually? :)

@randomuser111 - SGX530 is comparable to Adreno 205 in 3D applications and games. In 2D and UI rendering, Adreno 205 over shadows SGX530 by a large margin. Hummingbird chipset is superior to Adreno 205. In the benchies u posted, Hummingbird is beaten only in CPU benchmarks... not in GPU ones.
But anyways, no one is going to buy a Xperia mini pro for gaming. :p And even if they do, the power is gonna be wasted on a resolution like that. So far in Android market, there isnt much of any graphics intensive games. There was no need for a txt er phone to be having such powerful internals. It would have reduced the price and made it more value for money.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Hmm okay.. so by using external amplifier, eg: Fiio, i can get great audio quality from basically anything that can play a song. The audio chipset from the external amplifier would re-process the song and play it. Thats a good idea actually. How big are they in real life? anyone using them? I mean it would hang on the wire between my cell and my ears.. so how heavy or big are they actually? :)

@randomuser111 - SGX530 is comparable to Adreno 205 in 3D applications and games. In 2D and UI rendering, Adreno 205 over shadows SGX530 by a large margin. Hummingbird chipset is superior to Adreno 205. In the benchies u posted, Hummingbird is beaten only in CPU benchmarks... not in GPU ones.
But anyways, no one is going to buy a Xperia mini pro for gaming. :p And even if they do, the power is gonna be wasted on a resolution like that. So far in Android market, there isnt much of any graphics intensive games. There was no need for a txt er phone to be having such powerful internals. It would have reduced the price and made it more value for money.

not everything. The amp should get clean audio from the source. You can't expect a 1000 rupee chinese **** sound like quality source by connecting an external amp. :)

am not exactly an expert in explaining this but do check out at head-fi or abi forums

ssb1551

Technomancer
3.2" with better resolution was expected.

anyway they are targeting this for some specific customers. those who are new to smartphone & want "Android only". and have 15k to waste.

I like your part about "15k to waste"..:rofl:..for 15k one can get better phones like DEFY!!

sujoyp

Grand Master
I just dont understand ....If I need a good cam and good sound quality and type 50 SMS per day...y xperia mini pro is a waste for me and defy is VFM or good buy....somebody explain:shock:

y u people r just stuck on screen only...video and games need screen...what else???

sach1000rt

Journeyman
I just dont understand ....If I need a good cam and good sound quality and type 50 SMS per day...y xperia mini pro is a waste for me and defy is VFM or good buy....somebody explain:shock:

y u people r just stuck on screen only...video and games need screen...what else???
android is best experienced in high resolution. nobody is telling you to waste your money on this or that. they are telling their opinion on their needs, their experience. if your needs are different then dont listen to them. its your money, buy whichever you can.
Me too had same needs some months back , as far my needs only galaxy sl was my option. i didnt wanted a big phone but i had no other choice. i bought galaxy sl. Within a month i started to regret my buy because of the big size. so sold it. now im having defy which has balanced things which i needed. decent camera, small size, high resolution everything almost same as galaxy sl.

Last edited:

ssb1551

Technomancer
When you get the all the same for the same price in DEFY then temme why one shouldn't go for DEFY when it has amazing screen??and a smaller screen kills the android experience..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom