Why shd I b allowed to install Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
nitish_mythology

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
Finally I gathered my courage and asked him...
He said,"Well lets see if I can get a dual boot on one of the P.C....I need to talk to Mr.Babu(the man who manages network and install everything is on leave!)."

I wll soon remind and ask him again.

OP
nitish_mythology

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
Update:
Its all of no use!!!!!!!!
My It admin says tht he is ready to install Linux but tht p.c wont b on network!
it wont b having net access!!!!!!!!!!!
The Reason given is tht it wll decrease the security!
So wht wll I do without net!
I would need to manually down dependencies! Wll b stuck again as down is banned so I wll hv to ask Admin evry time I want to install a soft!!!!!

NO one cares fr Linux & u,especially whn u r a youngster enthusiast fr Linux
huh.............

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
nitish_mythology said:
Update:
Its all of no use!!!!!!!!
My It admin says tht he is ready to install Linux but tht p.c wont b on network!
it wont b having net access!!!!!!!!!!!
The Reason given is tht it wll decrease the security!
So wht wll I do without net!
I would need to manually down dependencies! Wll b stuck again as down is banned so I wll hv to ask Admin evry time I want to install a soft!!!!!

NO one cares fr Linux & u,especially whn u r a youngster enthusiast fr Linux
huh.............
How will installing linux decrease security? Unless of course the admin has no idea of administering a Linux machine. If you can ask him to provide a reason. It will be quite fun to see his answer.
If you can get him to install debian or some debian based distro you can try out pypt-offline, about which I PM'ed you. Here's a link to pypt-offline for those interested *pypt-offline.sourceforge.net/ . I haven't tried it but if someone can try it and give some feedback about how it is, it will be great.

Satissh S

Youngling
Try telling that idiotic Fascist admin the merits of Free software.
Heres what i did in my college.
Approach the HOD and the principal of your college and try to convince them, you have to talk mostly in humble words with a bit of salt mixed here and there, also u have to back that up with ur exam scores. ;)
Tell them how its secure, how UNIX environment is the best for learning and doing programming.
Tell them the merits of how it helps for code reuse. Tell him to read, "The Art of UNIX Programming".
Try convincing your class mates first though, and when u all collectively appeal, theres absolutely nothing they can do (a better idea to do this is to show of AIGLX) .

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
you don't need to install linux to use it!
Yup thats right!. puppy linux will save the whole ext3 file-system on a single 512mb file on a fat32 or ntfs partition! So even without having to install the OS it will still save all your settings(on that 512 mb file)!!

Its a live cd so just boot with it and start using!
download size 70-80mb

I would need to manually down dependencies!
dependencies dependencies, ufffff . why isn't there a solution for this??
Anyways in puppy you can download windows style double-click to install dotpups(look on the puppy forums)

Last edited:

mehulved

chesss said:
dependencies dependencies, ufffff . why isn't there a solution for this??
Well there is kind of, for debian based distros. Check pypt-offline that I have mentioned earlier. I haven't tested it but if it works it will be really good.

Nitish i guess let him go ahead with installing Linux without access to network. Atleast there are man pages to read so you can do some learning. And tell him, don't install Red Hat 9, those stupid sys admins seem to be very fond of Red Hat 9 for God knows what. I can send you Debian CD's if needed. It's a set of 14 CD's. It's got some softwares that are quite outdated but still it will be great to learn and you will have lots of software available directly from the CD's.

Slowly you can get the head of the college convinced by showing around how linux is or giving him the reason or even by showing a few websites and this thread too.

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
Well there is kind of, for debian based distros. Check pypt-offline that I have mentioned earlier. I haven't tested it but if it works it will be really good.
er there is already a solution for this for ubuntu..
1. aptitude --download-only opera
2. Move all downloaded stuff to a cd (which can be used as a repo) *help.ubuntu.com/community/AptMoveHowto/simple?highlight=(aptmove)

Simple!

possible future dependency solution: *www.linux-watch.com/news/NS4586903228.html

mehulved

chesss said:
er there is already a solution for this for ubuntu..
1. aptitude --download-only opera
2. Move all downloaded stuff to a cd (which can be used as a repo) *help.ubuntu.com/community/AptMoveHowto/simple?highlight=(aptmove)
It still needs a debian system. Pypt-offline works from a linux/windows/mac system connected to the net.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
best thing is to persuate him for network access but i don't think he can block orkut and other things there :p

mehulved

gary4gar said:
best thing is to persuate him for network access but i don't think he can block orkut and other things there :p
Why not? I don't think it is a server machine, it should be a client machine. And in institutions sites are blocked at some server so none of the clients will be able to open the sites no matter the OS.

OP
nitish_mythology

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
Hmm.......
Lots of discussion!

aryayush said:
nitish_mythology, are you a member of the 'Cray Club'?

Well till 10th u r said to b a membewr of crayclub! I hv Csc in 11th so I m as good as a crayclub member!!
R u a mayoite?

Well,He has agreed to install fc6(I bought the dvd frm home)

chesss said:
Guess: by giving free access to dump sam files of any windows on the network . Windows file-permissions suck hard afaik
Tht could b a reason!
In Mayo Admins r pretty concerned abt Security!

Ps:: Dont flame my admin coz he is const monitoring all the activities of all studnets!!! It might b poss tht he is watching this thread toooo..:D

Update:
Admin says tht u can install Linux till the time u r in 11th and I hv my final exams the next month! Frm March 1str I wll b in 12th. He wants me to then conc on C++.
SO iIwont b using it much this month and it wll get removed when I m in 12th!!
:( :(

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
nitish_mythology said:
Well till 10th u r said to b a membewr of crayclub! I hv Csc in 11th so I m as good as a crayclub member!!
R u a mayoite?
No, but my brother is the president of the 'Cray Club'. He is in the tenth standard. He told me there is an iMac in the Cray Club. I just wanted to make sure. He told me it did not have an iSight camera, which sounds unbelieveable because AFAIK, there never was an iMac sans iSight.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Yes, he is Ankush Arya.

It is very surprising though, that Apple ever made the present iMacs without built in iSight cameras. Anyway, thanks for the info and back to the topic at hand.

You could always run Ubuntu of course, even if you cannot install it.

OP
nitish_mythology

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
Well tdy I booted into a lab p.c using my ubuntu's live cd........
I then conf the network and tried some tweaking!( It was a bit diff with teachers roaming all around in lab)
I could surf the servers and actually see the file name(could nt open the folders as it asked fr pass)! Was pretty impressed....

Me noob in networking so lets se if I can learn some more aspects abt it!

Ps:Where r u tech_your_future? I m w8ing fr ur response!

mehulved

Which folders were asking for password? On local machine or some machine on the network?
Live CD will be very limiting but nonetheless, it 's good to start with.
As to myself, I hardly know anything about networking since I just have a single PC here.
Can you access the net? Then you can check out the guides at TLDP, they will help you get started. There's a network administrator's guide there. It will be helpful to learn networking. Also, check your library, they should have some good books on linux.

praka123

left this forum longback
for most livecds to access a share already mounted(even as root) it mostly will be mounted as readonly.so umount the device and mount it manually for full access as sudo or root.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom