Which LINUX???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
intelomkar said:
For me.... any Linux is crap ! Ubuntu is just better scrap !

crap ! crap ! crap !
If you don't like linux go and user your favourite OS. Stop trolling

OP
DDIF

DDIF

Custom User Title
Chester said:
become root and enable repos
Code:
rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/*
rpm -ivh *rpm.livna.org/livna-release-6.rpm
rpm --import *rpm.livna.org/RPM-LIVNA-GPG-KEY

then issue this command, it will take some time to check repos
Code:
yum install audacious audacious-plugins-nonfree*

it will play mp3, wma, ogg, wav, aac and wav by default.

btw, its all mentioned there, you should read man pages and other documents, linux is not a piece of cake.
The main problem for me with YUM is that ,i don't have an Internet connection. What should i do then?

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
intelomkar said:

crap ! crap ! crap !
Care to explain why?

Speaks a lot about you, if you mere allege without substantiating with meaningful arguments.

drsethi

Journeyman
ManiDhillon said:
The main problem for me with YUM is that ,i don't have an Internet connection. What should i do then?
Yes, Linux cannot be easily installed with multimedia support without Broadband. Can someone provide easy solution to those who donot have Broadband?
@intelomkar Are you same writing in Chip forums?

nach p

Journeyman
intelomkar said:

crap ! crap ! crap !

OMG how dare u ?
If I was Mod I would have either banned u or given u warning

OP
DDIF

DDIF

Custom User Title
Hey buddies any one installed the Linux distro called Simply MEPIS ? It is in the DVD given with PCWORLD. Is it good for internet usage and for multimedia? Pls tell me about it.

mehulved

If you go on distro hopping from the beginning you'll never get anywhere. Try and get things sorted out with what one you select. Then once you understand little about linux then you can start trying different distros.
Well for Simply Mepis. Nope I haven't tried it but it seems good.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
ManiDhillon said:
Hey buddies any one installed the Linux distro called Simply MEPIS ? It is in the DVD given with PCWORLD. Is it good for internet usage and for multimedia? Pls tell me about it.
i think u must uninstall Mepis and go back to suse. not because its bad, but simply few have tried that distro so support will be less as compared to suse which was been backed by Novel.Anyways its just a advice from me. You are free to do as u like

When trying linux go slow & have patience
give a distro atleast 3 months & decide what is good or bad

for your gfx card problem, i can help as i have the same motherboard chipset

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
if you have unlimited broadband, then ubuntu

if u don't, & u download stuff somewhere else, then Slax, though install Slax on harddisk is tough cos it's a LiveCD distro

OP
DDIF

DDIF

Custom User Title
gary4gar said:
i think u must uninstall Mepis and go back to suse. not because its bad, but simply few have tried that distro so support will be less as compared to suse which was been backed by Novel.Anyways its just a advice from me. You are free to do as u like

When trying linux go slow & have patience
give a distro atleast 3 months & decide what is good or bad

for your gfx card problem, i can help as i have the same motherboard chipset
Okay bro. Then how did you solve graphic card problem with Open Suse. Coz there are no drivers for Linux for the card VIA/S3G unichrome pro igp on internet. Do you have any solution?

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
the only prob i havent been able to sort on linux is getting my 5.1 speakers to work. same is true on vista too .. :)

mehulved

ManiDhillon said:
Okay bro. Then how did you solve graphic card problem with Open Suse. Coz there are no drivers for Linux for the card VIA/S3G unichrome pro igp on internet. Do you have any solution?
How much RAM you have? And how much memory have you given to onboard video? Don't expect it to give you exceptional 3D effects and all. Onboard adaptors, especially from S3 Savage and such suck. I have one too. Beryl and compiz aren't supported on this chipset, either.
Give a output of
Code:
lspci

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
ManiDhillon said:
who told you there are no drivers for linux?
there are drivers but the thing is the are integrated in the install disc itself so need to worry about just go and install & if does not work then have patience
when install suse u will encounter a screen where it asks for your gfx driver.
somewhere in the starting only. select via there & install.

as far as enabling 3d support we need to configure /etc/xorg.conf file but it can be little tough for newbies so don't panic i can give u my xorg.conf file u can use it with little or minor varitions

[edit] there is a gui tool named system-config-display u can enable 3d support for it easily

Last edited:

coolsunny

Journeyman
which one is the latest linux os ?

microsoft software like windows media player11,"Visual Studio 2005"
will they work fine on linux ?

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
coolsunny said:
which one is the latest linux os ?

microsoft software like windows media player11,"Visual Studio 2005"
will they work fine on linux ?
No, there is no native support for that.
however u can try ur luck with emulators like wine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom