Which LINUX???

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
DDIF

DDIF

Custom User Title
I have Ubuntu 6.10 installed on my System having configuration AMD Sempron 2800+ ,704 MB RAM , 80GB SATA+80GB PATA HD.
I got a DVD with PCWORLD which have Mplayer and VLC player for Linux on it. But i can't install them. It said something about error in c compilation. Please help me to install them as i am unable to play mp3 and videos. And i don't have BroadBand. I use DialUp for connectivity.

FatBeing

Administratus Rotundus
ManiDhillon said:
I have Ubuntu 6.10 installed on my System having configuration AMD Sempron 2800+ ,704 MB RAM , 80GB SATA+80GB PATA HD.
I got a DVD with PCWORLD which have Mplayer and VLC player for Linux on it. But i can't install them. It said something about error in c compilation. Please help me to install them as i am unable to play mp3 and videos. And i don't have BroadBand. I use DialUp for connectivity.
By default, Ubuntu doesn't come with the tools necessary to complie programs from source. You need to install binutils from the Ubuntu CD - just pop in the CD, start synaptic and search for the package

OP
DDIF

DDIF

Custom User Title
FatBeing said:
By default, Ubuntu doesn't come with the tools necessary to complie programs from source. You need to install binutils from the Ubuntu CD - just pop in the CD, start synaptic and search for the package
Thanks Buddy for your help. I'm gonna try it.

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
FatBeing said:

Isn't it build-essential ?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Well it seems it's better to have build-essential on debian systems cos you can't build debian binaries with binutils, you'd need build-essential for that.
If both are available, it won't be a problem to install both.

OP
DDIF

DDIF

Custom User Title
I just found a OLdddddd Laptop. I want to use it for watching movies and listen songs.
IBM Thinkpad 600E
Intel Pentium II 300MHz
192 MB SDRAM
6 GB HDD
13.3 TFT LCD

DVD ROM
Which Linux distro will be good to use on it except DSL?

Last edited:
OP
DDIF

DDIF

Custom User Title
@MehulDev Which SlackWare distro brother? By the way I don't have BB so can you provide me with any SlackWare distro having kernel 2.4 and Xfce environment pls. I'll pay the expense.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Try Zenwalk.Its a 2.6 kernel based distro with Xfce.
It completely works out of the box,
You can listen songs , watch movies right out of the box.
So no need for net connxn.
Also, its quite small ~450Megs i guess.

Site:www.zenwalk.org
Forums:support.zenwalk.org

Regards,
ray

OP
DDIF

DDIF

Custom User Title
@RayRaven I've already stated bro that I don't have BroadBand. So I can't download it. Well today I'm again gonna try Suse 10.2 hope it work.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
SUSE 10.2 on that system?? :D :D

Better stick with ZenWalk, you can also try ArchLinux (since its a PII = P6core). Arch will require quite some configuration but prolly will give you the best performance (as in gentoo).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom