Which LINUX???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDIF

Custom User Title
Hi, I have a PC with config given below.
VIA k8m800 motherboard, AMD Sempron 2800+, 704M DDR, 80G SATA + 80g PATA HDD, LG Combo.
I need your suggestions in choosing right version of LINUX for my PC, as i'm bored off Windows. And one thing, my nokia PC SUITE should run on that version coz i connect to net using my phone as modem. I can handle any type of OS, so no matter that it should be easy to use or not. But it should have all functions and compatibilities for multimedia and for my hardware. Pls Pls help me.

Last edited:

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
You can try any latest version of Linux on your system and there are many ways to connect to net using your phone. Just search the forum...

Last edited:
OP
DDIF

DDIF

Custom User Title
subratabera said:
You can try any latest version of Linux on your system and their are many ways to connect to net using your phone. Just search the forum...
Yeah Bro thanks for your reply. Can you help me in getting that? Coz we haven't received broadband service in our village yet. And my AirTel GPRS is too slow to download a damm 680+ MB for those files!

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
You can buy this month's PCWorld. They are providing OpenSuSE 10.2 DVD, which is an excellent distro and has many proprietary packages too. It has a huge collection of softwares which can save you from downloading many needed packages from the net...

OP
DDIF

DDIF

Custom User Title
Here in the city near our village ,we can only avail of Digit. No other magzine is available here. But Thanks for your help. Someone from Digit members is gonna send me Fedora Core 6. Anyway Thanks again for your help.

OP
DDIF

DDIF

Custom User Title
As i think Live CDs are from which you can directoly boot to a GUI of LINUX and that directoly Run from the cd. But i need full installation. May be i'm wrong about it, if i'm wwrong then pls explain about UBUNTU live cd.

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
ManiDhillon said:
As i think Live CDs are from which you can directoly boot to a GUI of LINUX and that directoly Run from the cd. But i need full installation. May be i'm wrong about it, if i'm wwrong then pls explain about UBUNTU live cd.

U can Test them as Live CDs b4 Install and also do a Full install on ur HDD and Boot Through it!:)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
You are right, but Ubuntu cd is a live installer cd. So, you use it as a live cd as well as for installtion.
So, you can get the glimpse of linux from the live cd, and if you like it and get used to it, you can directly install from the same cd by starting the installer.
Also, the live cd helps in determining if something isn't detected or so.
PC suite won't work on linux as Nokia have not made any provision for it. But it is perfectly possible to connect to the net using your cell phone on linux.

borg

In the zone
As for Linux, hardware compatibility with your system cannot be guaranteed, but I see no reason why you shouldn't get 80 - 90% functionality. First try it out using a live disc of Ubuntu or whatever OS you want to run.

Also, I don't know what you mean by 'bored with Windows' . Wiping off Windows completely is BAD idea. I suggest you dual boot instead.

OP
DDIF

DDIF

Custom User Title
borg said:
As for Linux, hardware compatibility with your system cannot be guaranteed, but I see no reason why you shouldn't get 80 - 90% functionality. First try it out using a live disc of Ubuntu or whatever OS you want to run.

Also, I don't know what you mean by 'bored with Windows' . Wiping off Windows completely is BAD idea. I suggest you dual boot instead.
I'm bored of WINDOWS due to some major Reasons. I can't use Yahoo messenger, DEP is preventing it from runnig. Even if turn off DEP , i'm unable to run some applications. And have bad feelings for WINDOWs for some days, don't know why.
AnyWay thanks to you all for your suggestions.

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
ManiDhillon said:
Yeah Bro thanks for your reply. Can you help me in getting that? Coz we haven't received broadband service in our village yet. And my AirTel GPRS is too slow to download a damm 680+ MB for those files!

From which village and District r u ??
May b i can help u.
I m also from Punjab.

OP
DDIF

DDIF

Custom User Title
Manshahia said:
From which village and District r u ??
May b i can help u.
I m also from Punjab.
Sat Shri Akaal Ji, I'm from Nawanshahr Distric. If you can help then i'll be thankfull. You can PM me your number so that i can contact you. By the in PUNJAB from where are you?

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
PMed u

Also check out this
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22767

Last edited:

The Outsider

Beneath The Eyelids
Manshahia, i guess ur frm Mansa :D , right?

back to the topic, you can use gprs net in almost all latest linux distros and i must say its rather easy to set it up in linux than windows.

OP
DDIF

DDIF

Custom User Title
Chester said:
Manshahia, i guess ur frm Mansa :D , right?

back to the topic, you can use gprs net in almost all latest linux distros and i must say its rather easy to set it up in linux than windows.
Yeah It can be easy on LINUX to setup the GPRS to use internet, but what about the modem drivers for my phone as i use a datacable and phone as modem. The Drivers are autometically installed when i install PC Suite for my phone. Thats the only problem which i think i'll face!

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
When we install suse 10.2, a software called Gnokki can b installed which will detect ur fone. But donno abt the update for new fones. No need to install PC SUITE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom