Which LINUX???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
1. Is that the graphics adapter? If yes, then are you getting GUI? If yes, then which drivers are you searching for?
2. See the sticky thread on multimedia
3 Configure it as root

OP
DDIF

DDIF

Custom User Title
tech_your_future said:
1. Is that the graphics adapter? If yes, then are you getting GUI? If yes, then which drivers are you searching for?
2. See the sticky thread on multimedia
3 Configure it as root
Yes it is a graphic adapter. I'm lokking drivers for VIA/S3g Unichrome Pro IGP adapter. My motherboard is k8m800.

OP
DDIF

DDIF

Custom User Title
tech_your_future said:
Isn't GUI working?
GUI is Working bro. But animations are too slow and in My Computer Under Display Info it Says Driver= Unknown.

OP
DDIF

DDIF

Custom User Title
Thank You Very Much DrSethi for sending me th DVD of Fedora Core 6.
I'm very glad to get it.
Adding to your reputation.

OP
DDIF

DDIF

Custom User Title
I have now installed Fedora Core 6 on my PC and i love its user friendly interface. But Pls i need all your help in these topics:-
1. Where to find and how to install video and DVD plugins for Tootean Player.
2. How to mount my windows partitions on FC6.
3. How to install the applications and softwares from tar.gz archieves.
Pls help me on this.

Last edited:

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
Suse 10.2 works fine with Airtel GPRS, it also included the drivers for my Nokia 6681. All I had to do was configure a dial up connection to dial *99# with abcd as the user name and password.

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
ManiDhillon said:
I have now installed Fedora Core 6 on my PC and i love its user friendly interface. But Pls i need all your help in these topics:-
1. Where to find and how to install video and DVD plugins for Tootean Player.
2. How to mount my windows partitions on FC6.
3. How to install the applications and softwares from tar.gz archieves.
Pls help me on this.

1. *www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc6.html

2. Answered many times in the forum. Please search.

3. untar the archive using the following command

$ tar -xvzf filename.tar.gz

or

$ tar -xvjf filename.tar.bz2

now go into the directory

$ cd dirname

now follow the commands

$ ./configure
once successfully finished

$ make

$ su

$ make install

This is a generic solution. Please read the README or INSTALL file more specific installation instructions.

OP
DDIF

DDIF

Custom User Title
desertwind said:
1. *www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc6.html

2. Answered many times in the forum. Please search.

3. untar the archive using the following command

$ tar -xvzf filename.tar.gz

or

$ tar -xvjf filename.tar.bz2

now go into the directory

$ cd dirname

now follow the commands

$ ./configure

$ make

$ su

$ make install

This is a generic solution. Please read the README or INSTALL file more specific installation instructions.
Let i have the directory named MPlayer, then with that name explain me how to install.
And tell me how to use YUM also.

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
ManiDhillon said:
Let i have the directory named MPlayer, then with that name explain me how to install.
And tell me how to use YUM also.

Let the filename be Mplayer-0.9.5.tar.gz

$ tar -xvzf Mplayer-0.9.5.tar.gz

$ cd Mplayer-0.9.5

$ ./configure

$ make

$ su

$ make install

But again, this is a generic solution. Please read the README or INSTALL file more specific installation instructions and configuration options.

But as you're a newbie, i suppose, i suggest you to use CheckInstall or GNU Source Installer for installing software from source.

For your second query regarding yum:

$ man yum

mehulved

If you try to install from source then you might face dependancy problems. If you don't mind messing around then go ahead otherwise just use yum to get mplayer.

OP
DDIF

DDIF

Custom User Title
tech_your_future said:
If you try to install from source then you might face dependancy problems. If you don't mind messing around then go ahead otherwise just use yum to get mplayer.
Isn't there anyway to install plugins except Internet.
Thats why LINUX is far behind WINDOWS, coz when freshly installed it can't play any media file!!

mehulved

ManiDhillon said:
Thats why LINUX is far behind WINDOWS, coz when freshly installed it can't play any media file!!
So, what can we do? Go and abolish the patent system or ask the copyright holders of those codecs to release it under a GPL compliant license.

OP
DDIF

DDIF

Custom User Title
tech_your_future said:
So, what can we do? Go and abolish the patent system or ask the copyright holders of those codecs to release it under a GPL compliant license.
Brother why are you angry with me?
I just wnna say that if we can install codecs from web via YUM then why not they send it with the package.
Coz the package is more than 2GB!
In this case Fedora is better than OpenSuSE.

mehulved

You can't bundle these packages in free distros cos of problems with copyrights. Be ready to pay for it. Get paid distros, they will include all these in the distro itself.
Or try to find distros created/maintained by small companies/individuals. They are able to bundle such codecs as they aren't likely to get sued. Free versions of suse, FC, mandriva and all can't bundle proprietory codecs. All GPL compatible codecs are bundled in. Convert all your music to ogg vorbis and all your videos to ogg theora you will not need to download any extra codecs.

OP
DDIF

DDIF

Custom User Title
tech_your_future said:
Convert all your music to ogg vorbis and all your videos to ogg theora you will not need to download any extra codecs.
I'm using Fedora Core 6, will converting my music files to .ogg work?

The Outsider

Beneath The Eyelids
it will work but best thing to do is check the link given by Desertwind and install Audacious
*www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc6.html

its like a 3MB download.

OP
DDIF

DDIF

Custom User Title
Chester said:
it will work but best thing to do is check the link given by Desertwind and install Audacious
*www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc6.html

its like a 3MB download.
I've installed MPlayer, but it is not being shown in applications. What will AUDACIOUS do? How to install it?

The Outsider

Beneath The Eyelids
become root and enable repos
Code:
rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/*
rpm -ivh *rpm.livna.org/livna-release-6.rpm
rpm --import *rpm.livna.org/RPM-LIVNA-GPG-KEY

then issue this command, it will take some time to check repos
Code:
yum install audacious audacious-plugins-nonfree*

it will play mp3, wma, ogg, wav, aac and wav by default.

btw, its all mentioned there, you should read man pages and other documents, linux is not a piece of cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom