Which LINUX???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
coolsunny said:
which one is the latest linux os ?
kernel 2.6.20. There are a lot of distributions which are based on linux kernel. We don't just use the kernel but we using it along with all the tools and softwares, that is called a linux distribution, popularly known as a distro.
coolsunny said:
microsoft software like windows media player11,"Visual Studio 2005"
will they work fine on linux ?
There are a lot of softwares for linux too. There are n number of media players for linux.
And a lot of IDE's too. A replacement for Visual Studio is mono project but it is still in nascent stage. But, if you want to code in other languages like python, java, c/c++ there are a lot of nice IDE's available.

OP
DDIF

DDIF

Custom User Title
I have Fedora Core 6 and Open Suse 10.2 installed. How should i make it detect my PCI 56K Intex modem and how to configure it for NetOne. Please Explain. Others thread didn't helped me.

Last edited:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
ManiDhillon said:
I have Fedora Core 6 and Open Suse 10.2 installed. How should i make it detect my PCI 56K Intex modem and how to configure it for NetOne. Please Explain. Others thread didn't helped me.
hmmm...
Are you sure U want this?
Its hard, if not impossible

Scan modem

OP
DDIF

DDIF

Custom User Title
gary4gar said:
who told you there are no drivers for linux?
there are drivers but the thing is the are integrated in the install disc itself so need to worry about just go and install & if does not work then have patience
when install suse u will encounter a screen where it asks for your gfx driver.
somewhere in the starting only. select via there and install.
I mean to say that there are no drivers for my onboard graphic adapter VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP. Sound and other drivers are present but no drivers for that display adaptor. And i really need to scan my modem.

mehulved

ManiDhillon said:
I mean to say that there are no drivers for my onboard graphic adapter VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP. Sound and other drivers are present but no drivers for that display adaptor. And i really need to scan my modem.
The drivers are already installed or else you would never get a GUI if driver wasn't there. Most of the drivers in linux are built into the kernel.
As for the modem try the scanModem utility that gary4gar has given, it will tell you if your 'winmodem' is supported or not. These internal modems or so called as winmodems are a sort of software based modems and their manufacturer's don't provide drivers for linux or if they provide it is for 2.2 or 2.4 kernels, 2.4 kernels are found in very few modern distros.
If you find that your modem is supported then we can have a look and maybe get it to work. Or else if you can buy an external modem it will more or less surely work, just look up the compatibility lists. Most external modems are supported as they're hardware based modems unlike internal modems.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
ManiDhillon said:
I mean to say that there are no drivers for my onboard graphic adapter VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP. Sound and other drivers are present but no drivers for that display adaptor.

is that is the case then how can i boot into GUI desktop as i also have the same gfx adapter which u have.may be Linux is angry with you:D

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
Connecting to BSNL dial-up Internet Server using wvdial

If this is the first time you are connecting to the internet, then you have to 'su' to root and execute the command :
$ su -
# wvdialconf
Now you have to open the /etc/wvdial.conf file and enter the BSNL dial-up access phone number, your username and password as follows:
; /etc/wvdial.conf file
Phone = 172222
Username = "your login name"
Password = "your password"
Also make sure that the line -
New PPPD = yes
exists in the /etc/wvdial.conf file in the [Dialer Defaults] section. If it is not there, then include that too.
Next you have to modify your /etc/resolv.conf file and enter the primary and secondary DNS servers of BSNL for name resolution. If you do not do this then, you will be able to login to the BSNL server, but will not be able to browse the web. My /etc/resolv.conf file is as follows:
nameserver 61.1.96.65 #Primary BSNL DNS Server
nameserver 61.1.128.5 #Secondary BSNL DNS server
nameserver 61.0.0.5 # Tertiary BSNL DNS server
Now to connect to the internet, just run wvdial command in the console as follows:
# wvdial
By default only root can run wvdial. To let other users execute wvdial utility, I did the following:
First I created a group called 'modem'.
# groupadd -g 503 modem
I Made sure that the group id 503 is not used by any other group; If not then you could use any other unique number greater than 500.Then I included all users who are allowed to connect to the internet to this newly created group.
# usermod -G modem ravi
# usermod -G modem sada
Then I permitted the modem group to connect to the internet by editing the sudo configuration file /etc/sudoers as follows:
# visudo
//Now you are in /etc/sudoers file
%modem localhost=/usr/bin/wvdial
From here onwards, those who are in the modem group can execute the following command to connect to the internet.
$ sudo wvdial
password: ******
My complete /etc/wvdial.conf file is as follows:
[Dialer Defaults]
New PPPD = yes ;Don't forget to include this line
Modem = /dev/modem
Baud = 14000 ;I use the linuxant driver so speed is less
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ISDN = 0
Modem Type = Analog Modem

;BSNL phone no:,username and password settings
Phone = 172222
Username = "My login name"
Password = "My Password"

Taken from a Blog...

OP
DDIF

DDIF

Custom User Title
gary4gar said:
is that is the case then how can i boot into GUI desktop as i also have the same gfx adapter which u have.may be Linux is angry with you:D
Bro GFX ADAPTER even works without drivers but that mean buzzy grphic while dragging and droping and while scrolling pages also while watching videos on full screen mode!

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
My frnd has a PC with config given below...He needz to run linux on his comp..which is the best distro suitable for him...He needs lot of applications with less eye candy as his main intention is learning;)

RAM:159.49 MB
Processor Speed: P3 processor with a speed of 334 MHz :)

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Slackware is best for him

ManiDhillon said:
Bro GFX ADAPTER even works without drivers but that mean buzzy grphic while dragging and droping and while scrolling pages also while watching videos on full screen mode!
Thays because of VESA
Vesa Stands for Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA). You can get your unsupported graphics card to work if you can specify vesa in the driver section and later install the appropriate driver and update the xorg.conf file.

Last edited:

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
gary4gar said:
Slackware is best for him

Thays because of VESA
Vesa Stands for Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA). You can get your unsupported graphics card to work if you can specify vesa in the driver section and later install the appropriate driver and update the xorg.conf file.

Slackware Linux doesn't require an extremely powerful system to run (though having one is quite nice :). It will run on systems as far back as the 486. Below is a list of minimum system requirements needed to install and run Slackware.
  • 486 processor
  • 16MB RAM (32MB suggested)
  • 100-500 megabytes of hard disk space for a minimal and around 3.5GB for full install
  • 3.5" floppy drive
Additional hardware may be needed if you want to run the X Window System at a usable speed or if you want network capabilities.

So any other distro with such least minimum requirements but is very powerful and has lotz of features..?I dont know them as i have used distros like fedora,suse,ubuntu,mandriva which cannot be opted for his PC;)

mehulved

Use any distro which is slackware based. Vector Linux is a good option. BTW, what's the problem with slackware? I agree that slackware will be too difficult if he/she is just starting up with linux.
Another option is debian with some light window manager like enlightenment. I am using debian etch in vmware with 128mb of RAM running enlightenment, it's nice eye candy and lighter on the system than gnome or kde.
Actually any distro with a light WM can be used but it would be better to use ones optimised for 486's, like slackware than those for 686's, like ubuntu.

OP
DDIF

DDIF

Custom User Title
Manshahia said:
Connecting to BSNL dial-up Internet Server using wvdial

If this is the first time you are connecting to the internet, then you have to 'su' to root and execute the command :
$ su -
# wvdialconf
Now you have to open the /etc/wvdial.conf file and enter the BSNL dial-up access phone number, your username and password as follows:
; /etc/wvdial.conf file
Phone = 172222
Username = "your login name"
Password = "your password"
Also make sure that the line -
New PPPD = yes
exists in the /etc/wvdial.conf file in the [Dialer Defaults] section. If it is not there, then include that too.
Next you have to modify your /etc/resolv.conf file and enter the primary and secondary DNS servers of BSNL for name resolution. If you do not do this then, you will be able to login to the BSNL server, but will not be able to browse the web. My /etc/resolv.conf file is as follows:
nameserver 61.1.96.65 #Primary BSNL DNS Server
nameserver 61.1.128.5 #Secondary BSNL DNS server
nameserver 61.0.0.5 # Tertiary BSNL DNS server
Now to connect to the internet, just run wvdial command in the console as follows:
# wvdial
By default only root can run wvdial. To let other users execute wvdial utility, I did the following:
First I created a group called 'modem'.
# groupadd -g 503 modem
I Made sure that the group id 503 is not used by any other group; If not then you could use any other unique number greater than 500.Then I included all users who are allowed to connect to the internet to this newly created group.
# usermod -G modem ravi
# usermod -G modem sada
Then I permitted the modem group to connect to the internet by editing the sudo configuration file /etc/sudoers as follows:
# visudo
//Now you are in /etc/sudoers file
%modem localhost=/usr/bin/wvdial
From here onwards, those who are in the modem group can execute the following command to connect to the internet.
$ sudo wvdial
password: ******
My complete /etc/wvdial.conf file is as follows:
[Dialer Defaults]
New PPPD = yes ;Don't forget to include this line
Modem = /dev/modem
Baud = 14000 ;I use the linuxant driver so speed is less
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ISDN = 0
Modem Type = Analog Modem

;BSNL phone no:,username and password settings
Phone = 172222
Username = "My login name"
Password = "My Password"

Taken from a Blog...
I did that but it say something like "No modem exist in dev/modem directory".
Problem is that it does not detect my modem.
By the way it is a 56K Intex PCI modem.

The Outsider

Beneath The Eyelids
ManiDhillon said:
I did that but it say something like "No modem exist in dev/modem directory".
Problem is that it does not detect my modem.
By the way it is a 56K Intex PCI modem.

things mentioned by Manshahia are meant to be done after you install your modem drivers and get it properly detected, scanmodem is the way to go ;)

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
tech_your_future said:
Actually any distro with a light WM can be used but it would be better to use ones optimised for 486's, like slackware than those for 686's, like ubuntu.

Can u name some distros with light window managers?How abt Xubuntu?and B/w how is it possible to change window manager of one to another, of distro than downloading it separately?Like For example i am using ubuntu 6.06 LTS with Gnome running as default on it...Is it possible for me to change the window manager to KDE or XFCE without downloading a separate distro of Kubuntu or Xubuntu?Plz throw some light on this...!

mehulved

KDE, XFCE and GNOME are desktop environments.
Yeah you can very well install whatever DE/WM you like on whatever distro. But, for some distros like ubuntu, it's good to get kubuntu-desktop for KDE cos if you just install KDE you may miss a few packages which come from kubutu-desktop. kubuntu-desktop, ubuntu-desktop, gnome-desktop, ubuntu-server and such are not real packages but meta packages, they collect together all essential and extra packages.
I remember having used - gnome, kde, fluxbox, xfce, enlightenment, fvwm and a couple more on ubuntu.

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
tech_your_future said:
KDE, XFCE and GNOME are desktop environments.
Yeah you can very well install whatever DE/WM you like on whatever distro. But, for some distros like ubuntu, it's good to get kubuntu-desktop for KDE cos if you just install KDE you may miss a few packages which come from kubutu-desktop.
Yeah,I knew that..:)
tech_your_future said:
kubuntu-desktop, ubuntu-desktop, gnome-desktop, ubuntu-server and such are not real packages but meta packages, they collect together all essential and extra packages.
I remember having used - gnome, kde, fluxbox, xfce, enlightenment, fvwm and a couple more on ubuntu.
But how to shift frm one DE/WM to another ?I still havnt tried it coz i felt it might lead to some discrepancy:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom