what should be india's national language?

what should be india's national language.

• english

Votes: 61 34.5%
  • hindi

Votes: 98 55.4%
  • your own mother tongue.

Votes: 18 10.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SE><IE

Did anyone ever say they will force Hindi on SIs? No-one said. still you guys cram abut imposing Hindi in south. Buddies, we just said we don't want English to be the national language. Just because its a globally accepted lingo then does it mean every nation which can understand English should change its national lingo to English.

Yes.Hindi is a foreign language for many parts of this country,you better understand that,English is the Language which historically united south Indian states for administrative purpose
I meant Hindi is a home-grown language, our own country's whereas English is not our home-grown. I know what you'll say "why don't you understand it is south, it is different, we don't know hindi" etc. Then again, look at the very first line of this post.
If you chose your regional lingo then I and many others would be having no problem. Break the shalks man, think beyon what is required in the corporate world.

Aberforth

The Internationalist
SE><IE said:
Really? No one thinks that way, read the replies if you can , please. IIRC, no-one said they can't accept regional language, its just that some have created false perception.

Really??? :) :) How true! What about people actually calling us 'shameful' for not being able to talk 'shudh' Hindi, harassment in college by Hindi speaking people for our hard quality of Hindi??? If someone denys hammering of Hindi language on non-Hindi population I guess it makes them immature to have their language as national language. I don't want Hindi as a national language, it is the language of a group of people, not us and we belong to this nation so our language must be equally respected.

SE><IE said:
Just because its a globally accepted lingo then does it mean every nation which can understand English should change its national lingo to English.

If English, as a language helps in the economic development I think it is justified enough. English is not a foreign language per se, it is a global language, countries like Singapore, Hong Kong, etc. have realised that. And those who have fought for Hindi nationalism have gone into quagmires. Example is Karnataka, fight over regional and Hindi led to adoption of Kannada. Today the rural Kannada educated population is unsuitable for the IT boom happening in their own backyard. The government realised its mistake and English has been put back to first standard. Same in West Bengal... :D The same politicians who fight for Hindi nationalism (read chauvinism) are those who send their kids to English schools (Lalu Prasad, etc.).

S

SE><IE

Really??? How true! What about people actually calling us 'shameful' for not being able to talk 'shudh' Hindi, harassment in college by Hindi speaking people for our hard quality of Hindi???
Its they who are fools not you. If you can't speak hindi then thats not any issue as far as you can communicate easily. But bringing the issues of some people here isn't good either. :)

I never said, let hindi be the national lingo (though I voted for Hindi :D )
and force it even on those who don't know and maybe will never need.
The simple point is, I don't want a foreign lingo to be made a national lingo.(thats why I didn't vote for English)

amol48

Searching...
Well i think it should neither be Hindi/mother tongue nor English but i should be what we speak more, i.e. "Hinglish"

SolidSnake

Broken In
Arre yeh noora-kushti abhi tak chal rahi hai? :D

How about doing a Hebrew here and make Sanskrit our national language so that almost everyone starts from zero. :p

SolidSnake

Broken In
SE><IE said:
@solidsnake: Are you the solid-snake from SKOAR! :D

No, I am afraid No...I am the original Legendary Solid Snake:D but after Kojima plagiarised my name for MGS, everyone started using it. j/k :lol:

mediator

Technomancer
SolidSnake said:
Arre yeh noora-kushti abhi tak chal rahi hai? :D

How about doing a Hebrew here and make Sanskrit our national language so that almost everyone starts from zero. :p
:D Haan bana, hamne to sanyas le liya is thread se. Everyone's just repeating. The thread has attained its perfection level and number of new points is zero now I guess.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
shadow slayer 2007 said:
me cant speak hindi i can understand just a few words
i stick to english
its universally accepted
i aint talkin of makin it our national lang

By the look of it, you can't speak much English, either.

Do you use hand signs to communicate?

Hahhahahah. South Africa. Hhahahaha. Just look at their apartheid era flag, and you will know why they adopted English as their national language. They came to those parts from England. That is why their national language is English. Do you even know that South Africans, along with the Australians, are the biggest racists in this world?

My native language is Punjabi, and still, I speak Hindi flawlessly. It's not about the accent, it's about the words. If you can learn a language like English, there is no reason why you can not learn Hindi.

It's like a Brit saying that he can learn Hindi but not French, as French is as foreign to him as Hindi is. That's not true, and so is you argument.

Thank god all Bengalis don't think like you. I know a LOT of them, and all of them speak Hindi, without any problem.

Last edited:

shakshy

Broken In
mail2and said:
By the look of it, you can't speak much English, either.

My native language is Punjabi, and still, I speak Hindi flawlessly. It's not about the accent, it's about the words. If you can learn a language like English, there is no reason why you can not learn Hindi.

It's like a Brit saying that he can learn Hindi but not French, as French is as foreign to him as Hindi is. That's not true, and so is you argument.

Thank god all Bengalis don't think like you. I know a LOT of them, and all of them speak Hindi, without any problem.
Hey!! HOW do u know he can't speak enlish. Did u hear him speaking??? U shudn't judge other's like this. Can u tell me whether I can speak enlish??

Punjabi is pretty much same as hindi, we can understand punjabi if we know hindi. And there is a lot about accent--An Indian can't talk english like an American, his flow and pronounciation won't come alike. Its same with Indians--- The southern, the easter, or the nort-eastern can't SPEAK hindi as the central does (which is excepted as a standard Hindi).
And I think that there's lot of giglling, laughing and joking behind people who can't speak hindi properly,

Like this- Hom hindi Bol nohi pata hu.

mediator

Technomancer
shakshy said:
Punjabi is pretty much same as hindi, we can understand punjabi if we know hindi.
I can but most of my friends can't understand when 2 of my sikh friends start their chat in front of us in punjabi. So if most N.Indians can't, how can S.Indian say that??

shakshy said:
And there is a lot about accent--An Indian can't talk english like an American, his flow and pronounciation won't come alike. Its same with Indians--- The southern, the easter, or the nort-eastern can't SPEAK hindi as the central does (which is excepted as a standard Hindi).
On contrary u'll find many teenagers and college phreaks trying to ape westerners and their accent. I think most Indian teenagers today are the ones who try to show off by aping Western accents and styles. Can't say the same about S.Indians as their accent reflects in all other languages be it English or Hindi. Its always seems like they speaking tamil even if they r communicating in hindi or english. U have to decode and decrypt their language and accent carefully.

Neways let me repeat once again I've toured almost 60-80% of India. In east and west I rarely found anyone talking in English except tourist guides and we freely and easily communicated with everyone in Hindi. The same was in South too, but I would say the English was at equal stakes. So south is exception. So u can't say and drag the east and west without actually touring the place urself and imagining things like that.

shaky said:
And I think that there's lot of giglling, laughing and joking behind people who can't speak hindi properly,
Absoutely NO! But most do giggle when the people bring their local accent in Hindi. The point is understability. If people cant understand what ur saying then they'll obviously look at each other's faces in hope of some clue of what the person is saying be it in English or Hindi. Thats the human nature and u can't help it.

Neways its been 14 pages and there are so many Indian languages to be called national. But I dont know why people are still miserably suffering from ignorance and still debating when they really don't know the meaning of the terms "National" and "Indian" and bringing and dragging foriegn languages to the debate unnecessarily and foolishly. Most debating here dont even know the difference between "National" and "Offical" language.

I request again and again, Please read all the debate from the start and come up with new points and make me happy. :)

Last edited:

shakshy

Broken In
@mediator
Why don't u explain us if u know.
National---Of nation. Recognized by nation
Official---Used in office. Varies from state to state, english or hindi or both along with the state language.

mediator said:
bsoutely NO! But most do giggle when the people bring their local accent in Hindi. The point is understability. If people cant understand what ur saying then they'll obviously look at each other's faces in hope of some clue of what the person is saying be it in English or Hindi. Thats the human nature and u can't help it.
Its not a human nature but a sign of immaturity and lack of respect. Why will a good-mannered person ever giggle or look each others face on hearing the person's local accent poured on hindi. Its purely a sign of disrespect.

mediator said:
On contrary u'll find many teenagers and college phreaks trying to ape westerners and their accent. I think most Indian teenagers today are the ones who try to show off by aping Western accents and styles.
Mind it they aretrying to ape westerners and their accent. not they have it naturally. And its all about class and status, somewhat like if I can say english in an Amercian accent I am more cool. And its all about college-goin people.
mediator said:
Neways let me repeat once again I've toured almost 60-80% of India. In east and west I rarely found anyone talking in English except tourist guides and we freely and easily communicated with everyone in Hindi. The same was in South too, but I would say the English was at equal stakes. So south is exception. So u can't say and drag the east and west without actually touring the place urself and imagining things like that.
Yes, u wont find any trouble if u can speak hindi well and travel around India. The trouble is with those unable to speak hindi well and had gone to a hindi-speaking region.

mediator

Technomancer
shakshy said:
Why don't u explain us if u know.
National---Of nation. Recognized by nation
Official---Used in office. Varies from state to state, english or hindi or both along with the state language.
Dude, if u even bothered to read the whole thread from the start, then u'll realise that I already explained everything in detail!

shakshy said:
Its not a human nature but a sign of immaturity and lack of respect. Why will a good-mannered person ever giggle or look each others face on hearing the person's local accent poured on hindi. Its purely a sign of disrespect.
And S.Indians treating N.indians as Aliens when they speak Hindi in front of them is a bigger sign of immaturity and lack of respect. And looking at each other's faces is not something found in N,Indians alone. Its soemthing found in people all across the world when they dont understand what the person is saying. U cant run from it, it indeed is human nature.

shakshy said:
Mind it they aretrying to ape westerners and their accent. not they have it naturally. And its all about class and status, somewhat like if I can say english in an Amercian accent I am more cool. And its all about college-goin people.
Why r u deviating from ur words? U said "An Indian can't talk english like an American, his flow and pronounciation won't come alike". U said nuthing about accent coming "naturally". ANd what do u mean by naturally? Indians speaking with american accents naturally? How absurd! Thats possible only if they have one of the parents, a firang! But then also chances of accent coming "naturally" are dim.

shakshy said:
And its all about class and status
Why dont u come to N.India and communicate with Jats and Dalits and OBCs in colleges in English?? Then u'll realise that its nothing about class and status!

shakshy said:
The trouble is with those unable to speak hindi well and had gone to a hindi-speaking region.
And the point is understandibilty! In companies they hire u, if ur english is somewhat even understandable!

Neways I request u again to read the thread from the start or u'll come and accuse me for being absurd with u. After reading the thread from start if u have anything new to say then be my guest and debate. :)

shakshy

Broken In
who reads this fu**in thread from beginin. See my good fella, I voted for hindi and I won't like a foreign language to be a national language. But I only hope that Indians do not discriminate Indians on grounds of language or anything else.

planetcall

Indian by heart
You did the right thing to vote for hindi. Now for your all queries go read this thread and you wont be wasting time repeating the same thing.

mediator

Technomancer
shakshy said:
who reads this fu**in thread from beginin. See my good fella, I voted for hindi and I won't like a foreign language to be a national language. But I only hope that Indians do not discriminate Indians on grounds of language or anything else.
Mature and sensible people do find out what has happened in a debate, how much it has completed and what else needs to be debated! They dont jump in between when the debate has finished already or almost finished and then ask everyone to start afresh. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom