what should be india's national language?

what should be india's national language.

• english

Votes: 61 34.5%
  • hindi

Votes: 98 55.4%
  • your own mother tongue.

Votes: 18 10.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

faraaz

Evil Genius
@planetcall: Dude! I was just throwing in my 2 cents...I'm sure if I'm violating forum rules, the mods will let me know, so what say we back off eh?

vijay2525

Right off the assembly line
Say no to Hindi

There is no need for any national language... The central government's hindi imposing attitude should end!

[Edit]- Mind your language please. You are not allowed to target any community/region and abuse them

If anyone desparately wants India to have a national language, I suggest it be the 23 official languages, rather than 1 language which is as foreign as English to many in south India and east India!

Last edited by a moderator:

praka123

left this forum longback
slowly @tleast Hindi speakers will be understanding the real attitude of Non-Hindi Speakers I believe.Its not as easy as in Bollywood film,where anywhere in the world u go,u'll see ppl speaking hindi-which is unrealistic!.hindi is not our pride.but India ofcourse;with its diversity.

Aberforth

The Internationalist
planetcall said:
^^ If you mean by adopt english to accept it as national language then i completely disagree. I dont think you understood my statement well.

I mean to say that English is not our language by lineage. We as Indians have a rich heritage of languages and we should discuss over that only. We have our opinions but we should have it in the very periphery of our distinct identity. Our national language must reflect we Indians.

Neither is Hindi our language by lineage, it is far from it. If you really like Hindi, consider it as your state language but not force it on others too. We have a rich culture as Bengalis who if you notice were scientists and intellectuals even before the advent of modern universities. I would consider talking my language as a better sign of my identity, not some language Hindi which is same to me as English. At least armed with English and Bengali I have a much wider reach then I do with Hindi. If being an Indian means neglect my own language for the sake of Hindi(another man's language) I'd rather not be one - artificial nations never survived without some kind of supression. It is much like Sunni ideologies forced in Kurdish and Shias in Iraq, never worked.

faraaz said:
English is used more widely than Hindi, all our bureaucracy, documentation etc is in English, so WTF is the point of having Hindi as the national language?

It might not be correct in the exact sense but I have to agree. Hindi documentation and official procedures exist only in Hindi speaking belts of Bihar, UP, Rajasthan, etc. while it is English and Regional Language for non- Hindi areas. Except central government officials that is. When I check the history I notice the prominence of Hindi speaking or pro-Hindi people as 'freedom fighters' and very little (or no) reference to non-Hindi people except recent Bollywood movies.

For Hindi-Is-More-Indian people, I'd say the Dravidan languages like Tamil, Malayalam are more Indian than is Hindi.

planetcall

Indian by heart
Aberforth, I admire your post. I wanted to reply it would be the repetition of the same thing. Unfortunately it does not reflect your knowledge about my posts over our regional language including bangla. Search here and you will get it. I never intend to impose hindi over anyone. Nor I said Hindi is the lineage of all indians but still there are reasons to prefer hindi. I might have raised my concerns about my regional tongue as well but because of the reasons already posted I prefer to vote Hindi.
I said that any Indian Language is more preferable to me than choosing English. The national identity is not based on the recent developments rather it reflects the entire culture and the gamut of history that surround the totality of the very nation. I indeed love bangla and I repeat Aberforth that someday you will see me speaking more than Kothae bari aaschi. :D As far as my liking for hindi is concerned, you will find be able to find my statements in this thread stating my love for various other languages. Please go through.

ssdivisiongermany1933

Still in war with allies
What ever is language , leave it don't disrespect it , since hindi is growing more faster than english , America not able to explore their market in india bcauz english not more influencial then hindi here

Last edited:

lalam

In the zone
In india hindi should be the national language thats 100% fair nothing more to say.....Just because of westernization doesn't mean we adopt english as the national language!

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
yes..we dont need to change our national language.And if u think practically ..this is impossible to make our national language as english.People from 10 big citices may accept english but..have u ever thought of people living in lakhs of small towns and vilaages.

praka123

left this forum longback
ravi_pintu2001@yahoo.com said:
yes..we dont need to change our national language.And if u think practically ..this is impossible to make our national language as english.People from 10 big citices may accept english but..have u ever thought of people living in lakhs of small towns and vilaages.
Oh Yeah?But have u ever thought of people living in lakhs of small towns and vilaages in south india and northeast india who are having Hindi as a foreign language too?So You Ppl want to impose on south.ain't u...English is the Universal Language-with due respect to our local languages-We(south) want ENGLISH to be our national language.
Mind it.Hindi is not our pride.there is no use of showing ur patronage for Hindi in a country which has thousands of languages to speak with.

S

SE><IE

Now why don't you understand a damn simple thing. (we) north-indians (almost all) have no problem if you guys (the ones supporting english) choose your local language to be the national language.
The problem with english is- ENGLISH IS NOT OUR HOME-LANGUAGE (yes, I was shouting). If you really care for the nation then choose a home-born language.

And for God's sake, don't bring professional importance of english in the fight err.. debate :)

Aberforth

The Internationalist
For those who argue that English is a foreign language couldn't be a national language - the fact is it hurts your pride to accept another language spoken by another group of people as your language. So does it hurt South/ East/ North-East Indians to have Hindi as the national language. They don't share history, culture, ideology or anything such with Hindi language and putting it as their national tongue hurts their ego and creates anti-national feeling (feelings of non-belongingness). Instead of integrating the nation, it seperates (anti Hindi riots in Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Assam, Manipur, etc. prove this).

S

SE><IE

For those who argue that English is a foreign language couldn't be a national language - the fact is it hurts your pride to accept another language spoken by another group of people as your language.
Really? No one thinks that way, read the replies if you can , please. IIRC, no-one said they can't accept regional language, its just that some have created false perception.

I said earlier, and would say again. "We don't hate regional language, we hate foreign language to be national language"
And how on earth can you compare english and hindi sayng both are foreign?

praka123

left this forum longback
SE><IE said:
Really? No one thinks that way, read the replies if you can , please. IIRC, no-one said they can't accept regional language, its just that some have created false perception.

I said earlier, and would say again. "We don't hate regional language, we hate foreign language to be national language"
And how on earth can you compare english and hindi sayng both are foreign?
Yes.Hindi is a foreign language for many parts of this country,you better understand that,English is the Language which historically united south Indian states for administrative purpose.THINK BEYOND...south is different.no arguements stands for forcing hindi on india.English-can be accepted for communication.Why hate English saying a foreign?Nationalism Ohh? then cant u ppl able to think more than india-A world country-where people all are happy to communicate in English for all purposes eh?And U want Hindi to be forced on Non-Hindi speaking People....gr8 friend ur ideoligies are gr8 :confused: South Indians are not the people you are estimating from ur cluttered views.they are very proud of their lineage.

lol just think about it if u didnt no english then u wouldnt be postin anythin over here u can live in the world without knowin hindi but english is important
now ur used to english now i find it easier to communicate thgrough english than my own lang
but i m south indian i can find anotha south indian verever i go in the middle east so i use my lang with them but with other ppl i can only communicate in english

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom