what should be india's national language?

what should be india's national language.

• english

Votes: 61 34.5%
  • hindi

Votes: 98 55.4%
  • your own mother tongue.

Votes: 18 10.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

planetcall

Indian by heart
Caleb, thanks for the clarification. It indeed is nice to hear that you do not hate Hindi. I also have Kishor kumar as one of my favorites. Anyways, I intended not to you in person, rather a generic group of people having some level of hatred to a particular language.
English ubiquitously is the most widely accepted language for computer. Mostly, countries not using English as default for their computers are the one who have got their languages standardized for the computing needs or are not well versed with English. Unfortunately we are still in development and very soon I see we will have an accepted and widely used standard. The deeper penetration of computer to masses will facilitate the quicker formulation and acceptance of universal standards of hindi and other indian languages.
Being a good person should indeed be the top priority of every human being. Still, the discussion here is on what should be india's national language. I dont think this thread is a time pass reading. It will help in the change of hearts and opinions. There are many who never thought over this topic or never decided a stand. Reading to the logics and opinions provided by many would help many others form their own ideology about the possible national language of india.

praka123

left this forum longback
Hindi Speaking Belt definitely dont know the condition in South.that's why ppl are coming here without reading @least brief of the thread and about the anti-Hindi revolt which is running now also in TamilNadu.sure with your Hindi Pulling Habits,National Integration will remain a dream never come true.guys,why?think above ur Region?English is a Universal Language and its not something related to your patriotism about ur land!With all these Computers and internet,World is now called as Global Village.learn to respect other languages,but never force ur language.also think bigger,south indians majority except northern Karnatak/Andhra are as different from you as you can think of as You ppl versus Chinese.now try to teach Cheenevale Hindi and understand that the same pain we southerners feel if you ppl are forcing us of learning da Hindi.if you northern belt have a thinking that southerners are equal to those comical Hindi film roles,you are wrong.SOutherners are proud of their culture and Madrasi is not equal to what you are thinking...come on...here in my place a small town Muvattupuzha,Kerala itself there are hundreds of northerners who are working as factory workers and are proficient in local language Malayalam.See Once you know that Southerners are not what you have experianced watching crappy Bollywoood films.
Anti-Hindi revolts had taken thousands of lives in tamilnadu and other southern states are supproting this revolt.get the facts buddy before putting some crap in Hindi Fonts to patronise your mother tongue.
so we southerners says:
हमें हिन्दी नहीं चाहिए,बिलकुल नहीं चाहिए

outlaw

De@d
^^^^ awesome

tamil/malayalm/kannada/telungu..... deserves the same status as hindi....

we DONT need a national language

learn to respect other culture/language...

we southies are not asking northies to speak in our language then why the hell do u wan us to speak in ur language !!!!!!

Aberforth

The Internationalist
QwertyManiac said:
Yep Hindi it is and will ever be, English is the trade language and no country EVER forgets its national language no matter how much you force other languages down thier throats...

....but Hindi as a language is your culture and you must preserve it.

Well I can't accept that. I am an Bengali and I find it hard to accept another language as my culture say Hindi because well, for me my language is best.. I don't hate Hindi just like I don't hate English. I know everyone's mother tongue can't be a national language so why not accept English?

Now if we get egoistic over our own languages it will lead nowhere so we might as well decide to go the Singapore or South Africa way and make English a national language. It won't hurt anyone, it would help. I have seen the pro-American type of arrogance in Hindi speaking north Indians, they abuse me saying 'Angrez ban raha hai...' if I talk complete English or call me anti patriotic if I support my language over Hindi.

Tell me which matters more to a person's culture, his mother tongue or another language which has been forced down his throat as national language. If Hindis are not comfortable with English as National Language because it is 'another' language so are non - Hindis not comfortable with Hindi, you have to understand that. I don't need Hindi to be patriotic.

If a Bengali, Assamese, Tamil has to learn Hindi only for use in North India why not better still everyone learn English which will be much more helpful besides communication, for example reading what I'm saying now.

Last edited:

Aberforth

The Internationalist
mediator said:
I see Nothing new here. Points are being repeated again n again.

If someone has my opinion and posted above should I just sit mum and not post my opinion?

mediator

Technomancer
Nope, who said not to post? But if u have read the debate from the start then u'll realise that ur posting nothing new, but only repeating the points. So better reply to the existing points and make some new entries here! Wat say? :)

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
outlaw said:
we DONT need a national language
If we do not have a national language, there won't be any consistency throughout the country. All official Government notices will be in varied languages depending on the state it is meant for. There won't be any national television or radio channels. There won't be a common platform in which you can communicate. India will lose its identity. That is a ridiculous suggestion indeed.

planetcall

Indian by heart
Aberforth said:
Well I can't accept that. I am an Bengali and I find it hard to accept another language as my culture say Hindi because well, for me my language is best.. I don't hate Hindi just like I don't hate English. I know everyone's mother tongue can't be a national language so why not accept English?

Now if we get egoistic over our own languages it will lead nowhere so we might as well decide to go the Singapore or South Africa way and make English a national language. It won't hurt anyone, it would help. I have seen the pro-American type of arrogance in Hindi speaking north Indians, they abuse me saying 'Angrez ban raha hai...' if I talk complete English or call me anti patriotic if I support my language over Hindi.

Tell me which matters more to a person's culture, his mother tongue or another language which has been forced down his throat as national language. If Hindis are not comfortable with English as National Language because it is 'another' language so are non - Hindis not comfortable with Hindi, you have to understand that. I don't need Hindi to be patriotic.

If a Bengali, Assamese, Tamil has to learn Hindi only for use in North India why not better still everyone learn English which will be much more helpful besides communication, for example reading what I'm saying now.

Language is not water, food or air. I dont say that we cant survive without hindi being our National Language. The fact is that here we are all having our opinions about what could be the National Language of India. Well, it is certainly adamant that the language most agree upon would be the one from the rich pool of lingual diversity that we Indian proudly treasure.

We as Indians have a different identity. Indeed English will be helpful for your communication to the world but remember my friend, you cant go far if you are disconnected from your root. Remember, we as Indians are proud to have a civilization which has been alive for thousands of years. When our civilization was on its peak, those english speakers were still nomadic. The choice of something we call national would be definitely something that reflects the true identity of United India. I said earlier that given the opportunity I will blindly vote for Sanskrit which should be far more acceptable to south than hindi is. Having said that, I would like to add that since hindi is the most widely spoken language of india and it reflects the identity of hindustan and we hindustanis so it is a natural contender of this post. We should be proud to accept it as by accepting it your language is not going to be undermined, nor you are being forced to speak hindi if you are a non hindi person. Certainly, if you are not a hindi hater you would like to learn it the same way as I am trying to learn kannada (nivu yake nagutta idira ? , Why are you laughing ? ) right now and also learnt a little malayalam( nee ende kutkaran aan , You are my friend ) from my friend long back in school. I believe someday I will learn bangla too. None of these languages are my native but I dont say these languages are not mine. I love them as much as a native speaker of these languages love them. I am proud to be born in such a colourful land having so much diversity. If I spend my lifetime observing the colours of India, It would not be enough.
Above post by aryayush precisely answers why we need a national language. My native language is Bhojpuri. It is the symbol of bihar which has been popularised by Lalu. Though he speaks it in more humorous way. Still, I dont propose it to be the National Language, nor I demand a revolution for it. I know that by accepting Hindi my language will not be threatened as the people of my state and all bhojpuri speakers will continue to speak it.

*www.2ni2.com/emoticon/amor/grupo_amistad.gif

Aberforth

The Internationalist
@planetcall - You say we should not forget our roots and adopt English, neither can I accept Hindi as my root. It is as much a language to me as English is, nothing more than that. And so is the sentiment reflected by a lot of people from the non-Hindi belt. We can learn language by choice but giving importance to one language in particular at the cost of others' identity is not fair. The problem with not accepting Hindi is not that Hindi will wipe out these languages..but it is the same sentiment you feel for English.

planetcall

Indian by heart
^^ If you mean by adopt english to accept it as national language then i completely disagree. I dont think you understood my statement well.
Indeed English will be helpful for your communication to the world but remember my friend, you cant go far if you are disconnected from your root.
I mean to say that English is not our language by lineage. We as Indians have a rich heritage of languages and we should discuss over that only. We have our opinions but we should have it in the very periphery of our distinct identity. Our national language must reflect we Indians.

praka123

left this forum longback
then those followers of "Hindi" will have Hindustan upto Satara District Maharashtra,leaving Southerners to have the choice of their own language and English.dont think the same case is with ppl in south,they dont want hindi means they dont want and English is our common communication language,leave us we Madrasis,we dont want Hindi crap on the basis of whatever reason u gonna post and definitely Hindi is not our lineage or root.keep it with you,for Nation's sake.otherwise already going "National Dis-Integration" Will come true very fast.
I have a suggestion,keep ur Hindi upto your areas as official language,and we southerners choose English definitely.
If you choose the Logic that "Language most are speaking must be the National Language" then what about democracy?Madras is much different from northern belt and they are famous for their love for Tamil EELAM or Tamil Nation including Keral,Karnatak,Andhra,Srilanka etc.
Good U r friend,We have terrorism eating on extreme north of the coutry and Hindikkar's want this to happen on south also.great,we southies can at last have AK-46 and bombs on our hands at the expense of the imposition of Hindi Language!definitely southern states will unite for their goodness,if Hindi forcing continues,making Hindi Natioal/Official Language.try to make ur Brain think unbiased.

faraaz

Evil Genius
I know Hindi, Urdu, Telugu, Kannada and English (well, German too but thats not relevant here)...guess what happens if I go to Chennai!? That's right...I use English...

English is used more widely than Hindi, all our bureaucracy, documentation etc is in English, so WTF is the point of having Hindi as the national language?

planetcall

Indian by heart
^^ Have the patience brother. Don't put the same thing which has already been replied to. I request you to read the points already mentioned in this thread. I welcome your debatable replies to it. And yes, unlike a few, while replying we all should try to show proper respect for the languages and respective community being mentioned so that people like to reply back .

Last edited:

faraaz

Evil Genius
This thread is 12 pages long...do you honestly expect me to read all the posts so far, and ONLY post if I have something to say that has not been already mentioned?? Which is highly unlikely...

If so, then I suggest the OP makes a disclaimer in the first post to inform future members who plan on posting in this thread that their opinions are not required...:p

planetcall

Indian by heart
faraaz who takes interest in repeating the same replies ? until you post something new you wont get replies. I know this debate has reached its 12th page, but you can atleast go through a few to see the mood of the debate and the questions which have been answered.

English is used more widely than Hindi, all our bureaucracy, documentation etc is in English, so WTF is the point of having Hindi as the national language?

Who told you English is more widely spoken than Hindi in India ? And you don't want me to put all those points already mentioned here again. Do you ?

do we really need a "National Language"???

will just giving this name-tag to a language make people wanna learn it????
hasnt 60 yrs of experience taught us anything? it does not matter which language is called as the national language people will still use the language they are used to or the one which the situation demands (like english at work and some other at home)...........

the important thing is everyone learns to respect each others language and leaves it at that......
also the governments should not try to impose a particular language over the people (like they are trying to do with kannada in karnataka)......
leave the choice of language to the people.....

it is always the people who take the best decisions, the governments decisions always SUCKKKKK!!!

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
Well Said preethesh...Even I have the same feeling...there is no need for a term like National Language....leave it to the people. Politicans should concentrate on more important issues than deciding national language and dividing people over it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom