Apollo

"Technologic"
Staff member
Remember all the time you spent doing homework cooped up inside your house, trying to pay attention to what's inside your textbook while all your friends were busy playing cricket or football downstairs and creating an unusually loud ruckus? Distracting you to the maximum? Turns out, homework's an utter and complete waste of time...

... at least for elementary students (re: primary school).

Not kidding. This is what a Duke University researcher has concluded, after compiling around 180 studies conducted in 1989 and 2006 trying to find out the academic benefit of homework at the elementary level. Turns out homework had an overwhelmingly negative impact on children's attitudes towards school altogether.

Time to make recommendations to NCERT?

Read the article here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Time to make recommendations to NCERT?

good luck, NCERT is a joke, they are still using Turbo C and graphics.h library to teach students basic programming, no wonder the average 11th and 12ther hates programming so much

sujoyp

Grand Master
there should be no homework for primary students. regular unit test and scolding the parents seems enough for us for now :D

how student study will reflect on report card, which will reflect in PTA meetings and would ultimately effect on goodies the kid gets ;)

vedula.k95

Behind Enemy Lines
IMO,Education in India is the biggest joke and the biggest scam,since our school days we have being taught how to do the homework and perform well in test,seriously who gives a **** about environment? after all the time we have invested in Environmental Education,still every one thinks global warming is just a phenomenon on books and we are immune to any environmental changes,this education system isn't working anymore if the overall development comes under play,what a country we live in,where father scolds his son for not performing well in Environmental Education and meanwhile dumping plastics outside the house?

school are great till we learn to read and write after that its just fish-market.

saswat23

Human Spambot
IMO,Education in India is the biggest joke and the biggest scam,since our school days we have being taught how to do the homework and perform well in test,seriously who gives a **** about environment? after all the time we have invested in Environmental Education,still every one thinks global warming is just a phenomenon on books and we are immune to any environmental changes,this education system isn't working anymore if the overall development comes under play,what a country we live in,where father scolds his son for not performing well in Environmental Education and meanwhile dumping plastics outside the house?

school are great till we learn to read and write after that its just fish-market.

Very true ;)

icebags

Technomancer

environmental education cannot be taught from books at the basic level, its a cultural & mental standard.

for academics, indian education was okayish, not very good, not very bad, but recent trends of no exams in secondary schools screw things up.
no homework, no exam, no beating, no guardian lookafter = too many curious children having too much free time to try too many weird things in this ever increasing number of distraction stuffed world.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
homework is not needed. i hated assignments and I still do. and i hate that kind of teaching style also where loads and loads of homework is given from all 5 or 6 teachers in each subject. that just make me run from studies, those teachers and then eventually those subjects too. assignments should be much more than just filling 20 pages for 5marks of internal.

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
homework is not needed. i hated assignments and I still do. and i hate that kind of teaching style also where loads and loads of homework is given from all 5 or 6 teachers in each subject. that just make me run from studies, those teachers and then eventually those subjects too. assignments should be much more than just filling 20 pages for 5marks of internal.

Just copy it from your friend :)

TheSloth

The Slowest One
lol i did that almost everytime. but never liked to write cause I can't write faster. Same thing happened in college too, i will stuck at page 3 and my college mates are at page 6. then they will finish soon and leave to play fifa :( thats the case from schooldays :(

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
lol i did that almost everytime. but never liked to write cause I can't write faster. Same thing happened in college too, i will stuck at page 3 and my college mates are at page 6. then they will finish soon and leave to play fifa :( thats the case from schooldays :(
Do you have problem in concentrating or are you a slowlearner ?

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I am not slow learner, neither fast leaner. I am decent. its just that i write really slow. i have tried writing fast, my hands will shake fast and give a feeling like I am writing fast, my handwriting will become terrible, but actually i will writing just a bit faster which will hardly make difference of 3 or 4 mins in 15 page assignments.

- - - Updated - - -

and yes, i have concentration issues also. its sh!t. i was a terrible student.

Top Bottom