Time to end piracy....at least to an extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
ionicsachin

ionicsachin

Ambassador of Buzz
@anurag_panda
dude, what if u make a software and spend 5-6 years and countless hours daily with a huge team.....and later your software sells not even for 1% of its price....you can feel it only if u r a software developer

amitava82

MMO Addict
But in case of piracy no body actually loses anything.
O RLY? Probably you want to do little more research before you make stupid assumptions.
Say for instance Maya is above one lakh or something. Will the pirate ever BUY it. Definitely not.
Maya is not for individuals. If you really want to learn, go get PLE. Don't give stupid excuses.
companies help in getting the free marketing by word of mouth, a fact even Bill Gates admitted in China.
If a company wants to do marketing, they would give it for free. You don't have to steal it.
For most of us, piracy is a phenomenon by which corporates do not get their extra pocket money at the end of the month.
There is nothing called "extra cash" in business.
But yes, being proud of piracy and pirating for the heck of it is uncool as well.
Setting right price(say Rs. 400-1000) for games is only the right way.
Games are already 50% cheaper in India then US or EU.

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
^^ ya i agree...that was result of the distribution of unix in 70-80's ...which was forbidden to share......when geeks formed GNU/Linux to give freedom of customisation n sharing

but observe there isnt that much piracy in commercial edition of linux AFAIK like Redhat

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
O RLY? Probably you want to do little more research before you make stupid assumptions.
I think you are the one making stupid assumptions. Say for instance Mr. X, wants to use a software, and his pirate friend gives him a copy of Office 07 Professional and he uses it. Now say if his friend gives him OpenOffice, and he uses it.
In both these scenarios, Microsoft doesn't earn anything at all. If fact whatever Mr. X gets, he will get used to it and if friends ask for it, he'll probably recommend the same, and by word of mouth that software would be spread. In case he chooses to use the pirated copy of MS Office, in fact Microsoft gains because he is dependent on their software and would magnify the technological dependence Microsoft has on the world. In case He goes OpenOffice way, Microsoft would actually lose out his dependence. Imagine what happens if all those pirated users of MS Office move to OpenOffice, there would be no bigger loser than Microsoft.
Thus with increased technological dependence, companies can target corporates who have to buy original software.

Maya is not for individuals. If you really want to learn, go get PLE. Don't give stupid excuses.
I was only giving an example, I don't need Maya.

Code:
 If a company wants to do marketing, they would give it for free. You don't have to steal it.
I say again Piracy is an illegal activity but not stealing, read my previous post properly.
And they can't give the same for free. They would lose that cash they earn already. Here they already get cash and marketing, why they'll choose to get marketing alone.
Anyway corporates and OEMs are the main clients of software companies, who don't pirate anyway.

Code:
That's not the consumer's business.

Games are already 50% cheaper in India then US or EU.
Exactly why I brought an original copy of the Orange Box.

Have you ever wondered why companies haven't been able to stop piracy? I am pretty sure it is not impossible to stop piracy. Every problem has a solution but companies don't want the solution.

As a side note, I do not pirate. I only use free and OpenSource software.
Also, I think you should be more polite while making online discussion. Give respect to others, and you'll get respect.
And BTW Do NOT take my quotes out of context, like you did in my your first quote of mine.

@anurag_panda
dude, what if u make a software and spend 5-6 years and countless hours daily with a huge team.....and later your software sells not even for 1% of its price....you can feel it only if u r a software developer
I know. That is why I chose to buy original orange box.
But guess what what would be worser? If nobody uses my software, at all.

If you want piracy to end promote the adoption of FOSS
Exactly. FOSS for the way...

Incidentally the worst victims of piracy is FOSS itelf. :|

Last edited:
OP
ionicsachin

ionicsachin

Ambassador of Buzz
I think you are the one making stupid assumptions. Say for instance Mr. X, wants to use a software, and his pirate friend gives him a copy of Office 07 Professional and he uses it. Now say if his friend gives him OpenOffice, and he uses it.
In both these scenarios, Microsoft doesn't earn anything at all. If fact whatever Mr. X gets, he will get used to it and if friends ask for it, he'll probably recommend the same, and by word of mouth that software would be spread. In case he chooses to use the pirated copy of MS Office, in fact Microsoft gains because he is dependent on their software and would magnify the technological dependence Microsoft has on the world. In case He goes OpenOffice way, Microsoft would actually lose out his dependence. Imagine what happens if all those pirated users of MS Office move to OpenOffice, there would be no bigger loser than Microsoft.
Thus with increased technological dependence, companies can target corporates who have to buy original software.

I was only giving an example, I don't need Maya.

Code:
I say again Piracy is an illegal activity but not stealing, read my previous post properly.
And they can't give the same for free. They would lose that cash they earn already. Here they already get cash and marketing, why they'll choose to get marketing alone.
Anyway corporates and OEMs are the main clients of software companies, who don't pirate anyway.

Code:
That's not the consumer's business.

Exactly why I brought an original copy of the Orange Box.

Have you ever wondered why companies haven't been able to stop piracy? I am pretty sure it is not impossible to stop piracy. Every problem has a solution but companies don't want the solution.

As a side note, I do not pirate. I only use free and OpenSource software.
Also, I think you should be more polite while making online discussion. Give respect to others, and you'll get respect.
And BTW Do NOT take my quotes out of context, like you did in my your first quote of mine.

I know. That is why I chose to buy original orange box.
But guess what what would be worser? If nobody uses my software, at all.

Exactly. FOSS for the way...

Incidentally the worst victims of piracy is FOSS itelf. :|

Look, of course piracy is making the software famous and somewhat getting fame and base for the company and software, but its like militants making AK-47 famous...
Abt the Office part, any commercial software is like ur driving licence, u can give it to ur friend for riding, but he cant own it, and if he gets caught he'll have date with police... Microsoft wont earn anything if people use OpenOffice, but if they use original MS Office(i agree its too costly) it will earn....now if no people use MS Office it will be like a business fall, not a fall by piracy....If a company's product doesnt sell then they ll have to take some other steps, like reducing price, adding offers and all...many of us just got used to piracy, but it is declining the industry badly...imagine those billions of copies of pirated games, if they were sold in retail then companies wud have earned lot more and maybe got us some better game in future....maybe thats one of the reason why Need For Speed series is declining....
It is STEALING, the licence actually binds the person who buys the software as "only his and no one else's" , thats what the product key differentiates him from others...now if one person buys a land and allows other to use it, then he is a big fool, not only he is giving away his land but also not allowing other people to buy there own lands...thus slapping the economy
Companies are looking hard for solutions....they are not able to implement the high securities coz it is a pain in neck for genuine users, today one has to pass many security checks and online activations for the softwares, any genuine user wont like that....thats why companies dont want their softwares to be painfully overgaurded...

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Playing GTA 4 make you virtual goons, so its like giving ak47 in real life will make you 14 carat gangsta sh!t...loooooool

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
What does a releaser get after releasing a release ?
What does a ripper get after ripping a movie ?
What does a cracker get after cracking a software ?

What does Robin Hood get after looting riches ? :D
And how similar is the word pirate to the above ?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Using open source software is one of the most effective method to reduce piracy.

But IMO piracy can't be uprooted completely. In fact, it will make the internet as bland as a wall without texture. Not many have privilege to have everything, and thats where piracy helps. You get to know things that you couldn't coz simply you are stratified into a lower income group as opposed to the wealthy 20% sh!tes who are capable of being prodigal son.

When the whole world itself is an irony then how come one comment upon piracy.

amitava82

MMO Addict
arrrgggggggghh.. So assuming you have a software company and some publisher from US published your newly developed cool game which took 3 years and 100 developers to develop. Now someone bought a copy and made it available on internetz. Now, everyone starts downloading the game and you sold merely 50 copies.

So, according to you, you get free marketing. People know about your cool game but where is the cash you are talking about? What happens next? You go bankrupt since you could not recover your investment (I hope you know intangible objects also has production cost since according to you "stealing" applies to only tangible objects), your 100 developer lose job, some of them may suicide without any job since other companies too laying off, government loses tax revenue, that foreign publisher would never invest invest in your country again so, there goes your FDI, ultimately GDP goes down and I can go on.

Nevermind, bunch of 15 year kids I'm arguing with.. I'm not gonna teach you business and economy.. Go read yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom