Time to end piracy....at least to an extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
arrrgggggggghh.. So assuming you have a software company and some publisher from US published your newly developed cool game which took 3 years and 100 developers to develop. Now someone bought a copy and made it available on internetz. Now, everyone starts downloading the game and you sold merely 50 copies.

So, according to you, you get free marketing. People know about your cool game but where is the cash you are talking about? What happens next? You go bankrupt since you could not recover your investment (I hope you know intangible objects also has production cost since according to you "stealing" applies to only tangible objects), your 100 developer lose job, some of them may suicide without any job since other companies too laying off, government loses tax revenue, that foreign publisher would never invest invest in your country again so, there goes your FDI, ultimately GDP goes down and I can go on.

Nevermind, bunch of 15 year kids I'm arguing with.. I'm not gonna teach you business and economy.. Go read yourself.

First of all your assumption is faulty. A pirate will 99% NEVER be a real consumer EVER no matter whatsoever. They will NOT buy the software.
Consider if Microsoft makes Windows 7 absolutely piracy proof. What will happen? Do you think everyone will buy the original copy? Nope. Most of them will stay with older version and some may even move to Linux/*BSD/Solaris.
Don't believe me? Maybe start a new thread with a poll.

So many companies have have released games and most of them are victims of piracy. In fact most of their games copies are pirated they lament. But companies going bankrupt due to piracy has been rare, if any at all. Bankrupcy happens mainly due to factors like complete failure of a product, aberration of funds, and poor corporate governance.
As for your case if that game is good enough, it will surely get consumers. Not all people choose to pirate, you know. There are plenty of buyers of the original anyway. But If that game sucked, even pirated users won't play them...
As for non-gaming industry, the corporates are the main targets, and they don't/can't pirate anyway...

BTW your lack of reading the preceding posts and the manner you post yours, cements who the kid here really is.

OP
ionicsachin

ionicsachin

Ambassador of Buzz
I use following:-
Windows Vista Home Premium(Genuine) and Windows 7 beta
VLC Media Player
OpenOffice
Firefox
Audacity
and many google products...

And feel much better then using pirated(like how i used office 2003 before).....ofcourse i miss the softwares i used before, but this feels much better

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
I use following:-
Windows Vista Home Premium(Genuine) and Windows 7 beta
VLC Media Player
OpenOffice
Firefox
Audacity
and many google products...

And feel much better then using pirated(like how i used office 2003 before).....ofcourse i miss the softwares i used before, but this feels much better
That's very good. :)
I got rid of piracy on my PC in a different fashion though:
Linux OS (currently OpenSUSE) after removing old pirated Windows
OpenOffice
The GIMP
Opera
etc. etc.
and yes my original Orange Box.

Funny thing is actually I dont miss Windows at all (except the games which don't run on WINE :( )

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
arrrgggggggghh.. So assuming you have a software company and some publisher from US published your newly developed cool game which took 3 years and 100 developers to develop. Now someone bought a copy and made it available on internetz. Now, everyone starts downloading the game and you sold merely 50 copies.

So, according to you, you get free marketing. People know about your cool game but where is the cash you are talking about? What happens next? You go bankrupt since you could not recover your investment (I hope you know intangible objects also has production cost since according to you "stealing" applies to only tangible objects), your 100 developer lose job, some of them may suicide without any job since other companies too laying off, government loses tax revenue, that foreign publisher would never invest invest in your country again so, there goes your FDI, ultimately GDP goes down and I can go on.

Nevermind, bunch of 15 year kids I'm arguing with.. I'm not gonna teach you business and economy.. Go read yourself.
Government is backed up by Churches :p and stupid nuts.

And not every person knows to pirate a software. Dont even know what a torrent is or a crack is.

Let us assume that you have two movies to choose and you like one of them really. But you got cash for only one. Then most probably you will get one and rest at home watching it. And dont even give a sh!te about the other one.
But if your friend shares the another movie with you then you will certainly watch it for the sake of watching. If you are a purist then you will pay for it sometime.

If what you say is piracy then uploading videos with audios of artists will too be labeled as piracy. Even hearing song from someones earphone will be piracy. Internet is a big home now, and you can possibly share what you get :D

And why should one buy a DRM sh!te when there is a much better copy available without any restrictions. Of course, companies are supposed to be intelligent with their piracy reduction plan. But they do stupid things which ultimately frustrates consumers.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Man Windows is not that bad...its just too overpriced....more then double of what it shud be

Not bad...yes...but why should I pay Rs.4000+ for an OS, when I could get such high quality open source software for free.
If MS sets Vista Home Basic Price < Rs.2000, then only I'll consider buying it...

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted
Piracy will only stop if software prices are reduced . Companies like microsoft only want their shareholders to get richer and hence the higher price , also indias tax system on software products is not good . Prices of software product will fall if the tax structure is changed , my friend has a small software firm in mumbai and he has to pay about 21% tax on each product he sells .

RMN

In the zone
i was surprised to see the price of the original DVD(GTA4).....500bucks is good.fakes ones cost 200!
i don't mind spending that amt for good games.
i thought it would cost 2k or so.!:)

and i don't think that piracy harms any company....if that was the case then 50Cent and Jay-Z would have been driving a Corolla by now.

Last edited:

moshel

Padawan
everyone here is saying that we should use open source software.....how would that help, i dont understand.....

for eg. lets say im using a pirated version of MS office......cos i dont have money or rather dont feel right paying 21K for the MS office Suite......so i download Open Office for free and use it......

so what does microsoft gain from this?
If u say that im stealing Microsoft money by using their software and not paying for it, and i should move to open office, in that case too microsoft is losing money, cos im STILL not buying their software.

u know wat, everyone in this world should start using open source, so companies like microsoft, EA, rockstar, etc etc....who charge so much money for their softwares shut down due to which the '000s of employees of these companies become unemployed.

OP
ionicsachin

ionicsachin

Ambassador of Buzz
^ In that way the company will be losing money coz of its selling strategy, NOT BECAUSE OF PIRACY. If such happens then Microsoft will have to slash the prices.

and
EA, Rockstar???????

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
piracy is not mere about using an unpaid or illegally downloaded software or games......!!!
its also about pirated movies dvd and musics........if v google for any song.....v find hundreds of sites offering u free download......!!! how can we stop it....!! Screening version of movies r available on net before being actually released...!! And dvd's (pirated) of every movie is out on the release date .....Palika bazaar (of delhi) is flooded with lakhs of pirated cd's/dvd's of movies, musics, games and s/w......mere using open source dont affect any bit of piracy. And MS, EA etc etc cant slash their rates to the price of a pirated dvd.......they r also doing for earning some bucks......!!! Its apart from their reach.........hehe

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
u know wat, everyone in this world should start using open source, so companies like microsoft, EA, rockstar, etc etc....who charge so much money for their softwares shut down due to which the '000s of employees of these companies become unemployed.
It will help in creating new jobs too, and a bit of independence and probity :p
Why ?
Because even though open source things are free but still we can open a lot of service centres, customer care and other customization centres for them. Even lots of media shipping companies will come up.

This will actually be a good step for us. We will not be dicked every now and then by falling economy in US (cuz of outsourcing we suffer).

Just thing about how wordpress became so popular ?

OP
ionicsachin

ionicsachin

Ambassador of Buzz
@pr.itdude
Now take two cases
MS Office is 20000 bucks and MS Office is 2000 bucks....
now if 100 users buy the first case and 1000 users buy in the second case the extra zero will be compensated for MS....
The same thing happened with GTA IV

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
everyone here is saying that we should use open source software.....how would that help, i dont understand.....

for eg. lets say im using a pirated version of MS office......cos i dont have money or rather dont feel right paying 21K for the MS office Suite......so i download Open Office for free and use it......

so what does microsoft gain from this?
If u say that im stealing Microsoft money by using their software and not paying for it, and i should move to open office, in that case too microsoft is losing money, cos im STILL not buying their software.

Open source generally doesn't challenge games, period.
And about MS, etc. being closed due to Open Source? Gosh! I'll love it. Their developers will only have to shift their jobs (as due to use of more open source software, there is more demand for progress, and services in open source companies and more jobs in them), no innocent user would be called a "thief" just for using a service which is actually in a sense "forced"/"expected to be used" among them.

OP
ionicsachin

ionicsachin

Ambassador of Buzz
No one is "forced/expected" to use a piece of software, its a dream of everyone from a panipuri stall man to a giant company owner that everybody uses their product

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
@pr.itdude
Now take two cases
MS Office is 20000 bucks and MS Office is 2000 bucks....
now if 100 users buy the first case and 1000 users buy in the second case the extra zero will be compensated for MS....
The same thing happened with GTA IV

Actually there is MS Office Home and Student Edition about Rs.2000-3000 AFAIK. I dunno what it lacks in comparision to the full edition though.

OP
ionicsachin

ionicsachin

Ambassador of Buzz
Thats wat is not known abt our minds.....wen we use something pirated we want it full(like utimate, professional of Vista and XP)

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Thats wat is not known abt our minds.....wen we use something pirated we want it full(like utimate, professional of Vista and XP)
Very, very true.
Yes. But the fact is that we don't even use those features. हमें सिर्फ़ लालच आता है. :D

OP
ionicsachin

ionicsachin

Ambassador of Buzz
haan...we never use most of the features, Maya PLE teaches us any and everything, but we download Unlimited version for no use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom