The Windows Mobile Thread

Flash

Lost in speed
Re: The Windows Phone Thread

I don't like this folder specific idea anyways. WP8 should have a file manager. It's too daunting to maintain everything by apps.

Actually, there's a lengthy discussion is going on in wpcentral, and some really advocate that there shouldn't be a file manager, as providing them will be risky for WP-platform itself..
Have fun here: Will Windows Phone continue to avoid to make a File Manager? - Windows Phone Central Forums

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member

Thanks for the link..!! Though I'm registered on their Forum I hardly visit there..!! Generally I look at the Apps and Games tabs everyday :p

Anyway, regarding File Manager I agree with that. But then WP should do what pranav has suggested. Downloads should go to a folder named Downloads. Otherwise downloading something on phone (i.e. Smart Phone) have no meaning, if we can't get the files.

WP still have few basic issues left to sort out. I guess they fixed these things on August Update.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

Unfortunately, they arent fixed in the August update. This is what worries me. Apparently GDR3 is already being tested on final devices by OEMs and still a few basic things havent been sorted out. MS is taking way too long to fix things - others bug for example. If anything, I believe its because of the similar kernels that we are seeing a few of these issues and therefore MS doesnt want to tinker with it. If true, thats going to be a bit of an issue. :|

Flash

Lost in speed

VLC is now available for iOS too, after android..
When'll be for WP.. :(

GDR2 is out to HTC8X... :hyper:, but not to Lumia phones.. :cryeyesout:

*gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/wind...rolling-out-to-select-non-nokia-phones-394431

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

^ Thats because Nokia has upgraded its firmware too, the Amber update. The rest are just passing on MS updates as such. Amber should be available by end of this month or early august.

Also I heard that the VLC for IOS is very much inferior to the stock player in performance. I'd much rather not have it so than a namesake app. Its a pain to use formate conversion, but I'll stick with handbrake if I have to.

Flash

Lost in speed

^
Also I heard that the VLC for IOS is very much inferior to the stock player in performance. I'd much rather not have it so than a namesake app. Its a pain to use formate conversion, but I'll stick with handbrake if I have to.
Won't the VLC player for mobile plays .mkv format? Sorry, i don't much about the vlc for iOS/Android..

Another update for Whatsapp today. No changelog. :|
*weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/epic-jackie-chan-template.png

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

Won't the VLC player for mobile plays .mkv format? Sorry, i don't much about the vlc for iOS/Android..

*weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/epic-jackie-chan-template.png

From what I heard it stutters badly on playing even 720p content as it uses software rendering as opposed to hardware rendering. It can play mkv precisely because of the reason that it relies on software rendering to overcome the lack of sopport for a particular codec in hardware. A catch-22 situation TBH.

Flash

Lost in speed

Only 0.24% of Windows Phone 8 apps are incompatible with 512 MB devices | WMPoweruser
:mrgreen:

ankit360

Journeyman

when lumia 920 lunch i was plan to buy it desperately . but now i m dropping idea of buying windows phone . not worth to spend 20k + on windows phone because less app / too much restriction .

Nokia will totally responsible for there disaster . they sell there new launch phone + 30k and after some time you will get it for 14k :shock: take lumia 900 for example .
only advantage nokia phone has that camera is awesome . but how many time you take photos from camera in one day compare to using whatapp,facebook, playing game and surfing internet on phone ???

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

You make it sound like I cant read up websites on my L920. Except for some games, there isnt anything missing from the marketplace from what you pointed out. L920 owner here and staying with WP as it stands :)

ankit360

Journeyman

You make it sound like I cant read up websites on my L920. Except for some games, there isnt anything missing from the marketplace from what you pointed out. L920 owner here and staying with WP as it stands :)

you can read websites on ur L920 but not as good as iPhone / android . they can't compress data on cloud . some good feature like text wrap don't work which is pain is a**
yep they will stand because they paid 30k + for device and can't talk bad about it :p

just tell me one answer. did you recommend any lumia / BlackBerry device for Rs30k ? did they worth to spend + 30k ? if yes tell me the reason .

Gauravs90

geek........

what do you mean by text wrapping is not working, it perfectly works on thinkdigit. Can you tell me a website which ie10 is not able to wrap the text. Ie10 on lower end lumias can beat the browsers of under 20k androids.

sujoyp

Grand Master

@ankit ...I think battery life, lag on top end androids and extra large shirt pocket :D maybe some reason to neglect androids
Nokia have done well with camera, battery life is good in WP phones, Windows phones are total lag free , better built quality (IMO) and Nokia maps/guidance system is unmatchable

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

you can read websites on ur L920 but not as good as iPhone / android . they can't compress data on cloud . some good feature like text wrap don't work which is pain is a**
yep they will stand because they paid 30k + for device and can't talk bad about it :p

just tell me one answer. did you recommend any lumia / BlackBerry device for Rs30k ? did they worth to spend + 30k ? if yes tell me the reason .

Wrong. Nokia express browser does data-compression. Anyways I dont care about this part IE is plenty for me even with the flash-support lacking. I can look up youtube and thats the only flash site I care about.
Text warp (reflow) doesnt work, agree. I never so far needed to do it, but then I dont browse much so I cant speak for everyone.

Yes. I recommend a L920 for 30k. Thats why I got it.
I'd recommend it at 37k, thats how much I paid for it. But not now - now would be the time to wait for the next wave of devices.

Its not like I didnt have choices. I did. Its not like I didnt know the android experience - I did.
I did my research, I know my usage patterns. I dont wish to root and stuff. I dont play much games. I didnt use whatsapp or flipboard (free msg offer is what I use for the ones I care dont always have net connectivity and therefore I NEED text messaging, whereas IM is just a value add-on). I wanted a fuss-free phone. And a stand-out device that shows me where my money went.

S3, S4 were ruled out because I positively hate their cheap looks and build. HTC One was on the horizon, but couldnt compete with the L920 on camera and audio and didn't really have anything else that made me favour it. The Xperia is too cold and feels like a fish to hold - glass on the back is a stupid design idea.

Then there is the Live tiles which I like a lot. And the monolithic design of WP. I am also a bit concerned on maps - personally preferred Google maps but offline search is a feature I have come to love (like I pointed out earlier I dont use data plans - its either wifi at work or home) Nokia maps looks a lot less detailed where I live, even though sometimes slightly inaccurate but it hasnt let me down yet and thats as good a test as any for usability. And I have the option of google maps anyways if I really need it (Use gmaps or google maps to search and find the location before you start and then use Nokia maps to route offline. Hell I can (and I have) even reroute offline without data because Nokia maps supports it should I unfortunately need to. Try beating that.)

So here is your answer : I recommend a L920 over any other phone if you have the cash to burn and your needs are met. Cant say about the BB10 devices - they are not for me, maybe for somebody else.

There is no absoluteness here. No pride or prejudice. L920 was the best phone for me, and it is for a lot of people. We dont give a damn about the number of cores you got. :p

Last edited:

ankit360

Journeyman

Wrong. Nokia express browser does data-compression. Anyways I dont care about this part IE is plenty for me even with the flash-support lacking. I can look up youtube and thats the only flash site I care about.
Text warp (reflow) doesnt work, agree. I never so far needed to do it, but then I dont browse much so I cant speak for everyone.

you r taking about this ? check review bu urself

Nokia Xpress | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (भारत)

I didnt use whatsapp or flipboard (free msg offer is what I use for the ones I care dont always have net connectivity and therefore I NEED text messaging, whereas IM is just a value add-on). I wanted a fuss-free phone. And a stand-out device that shows me where my money went.

Then there is the Live tiles which I like a lot. And the monolithic design of WP. I am also a bit concerned on maps - personally preferred Google maps but offline search is a feature I have come to love (like I pointed out earlier I dont use data plans - its either wifi at work or home) Nokia maps looks a lot less detailed where I live, even though sometimes slightly inaccurate but it hasnt let me down yet and thats as good a test as any for usability. And I have the option of google maps anyways if I really need it (Use gmaps or google maps to search and find the location before you start and then use Nokia maps to route offline. Hell I can (and I have) even reroute offline without data because Nokia maps supports it should I unfortunately need to. Try beating that.)

i think u can even use nokia asha then :p no offense . just joking

@ankit ...I think battery life, lag on top end androids and extra large shirt pocket :D maybe some reason to neglect androids
Nokia have done well with camera, battery life is good in WP phones, Windows phones are total lag free , better built quality (IMO) and Nokia maps/guidance system is unmatchable

i m totally agree with you . . windows phone are lag free and has good battery life and beat android . and that's is there main disadvantage . they bulid windows phone like that it' should be lagfree so they put restriction on ram usage of application . same goes to battery u can't run application in background like it's run in android . it will cause some problem in application like whatsapp or any other messenger application .

what i m taking is . if you put Rs30,000 on some device it's should be better in build quality which nokia has so nothing to talk discuss about it . but when it come to internal part like IPS screen / processor / RAM battery . r u really think nokia should sell L920 for 30k ?

forget about OS r u really think you can compare S3 / S4 HTC one with L920 if u compare internal part of this device ? yes i think there maybe upper hand in build quality of lumia it you compare it with samsung phone .

i m not saying windows phone is bad . but id you look microsoft / nokia marketing strategy is total fail .. i saw some online shop selling L900 which launch @ 40k . same goes to surface .

i don't like to go for Microsoft product because if they think it's not working they simply kill them it. like they do to windows zune . and windows phone 7 . though windows phone 7 is not too bad ..

what do you mean by text wrapping is not working, it perfectly works on thinkdigit. Can you tell me a website which ie10 is not able to wrap the text. Ie10 on lower end lumias can beat the browsers of under 20k androids.

try to open gptoday.com

i think it's better to have 2-3 browser . specially browser like opera mini in phone when there is no 3g coverage

i m totally agree with you . . windows phone are lag free and has good battery quality and beat android . and that's is there main disadvantage . they bulid windows phone like that it' should be lagfree so they put restriction on ram usage of application . same goes to battery u can't run application in background like it's run in android . it will cause some problem in application like whatsapp or any other messenger application .

what i m taking is . if you put Rs30,000 on some device it's should be better in build quality which nokia has so nothing to talk ducuss about it . but when it come to internal part like IPS screen / processor / RAM battery . r u really think nokia should sell L920 for 30k ?

forget about OS r u really think you can compare S3 / S4 HTC one with L920 if u compare internal part of this device ? yes i think there is upper hand in build quality of lumia it you compare it with samsung phone .

i m not saying windows phone is bad . but id you look microsoft / nokia marketing strategy is total fail .. i saw some online shop selling L900 which launch @ 40k . same goes to surface .

why i don't like to go for Microsoft product is if they think it's not working they simply kill them it. like they do to windows zune . and windows phone 7 . though windows phone 7 is not too bad ..

try to open gptoday.com

i think it's better to have 2-3 browser . specially browser like opera mini in phone when there is no 3g coverage

bottom line .

i personally don't recommend any Lumia 920 925 or another costly windows phone model . price tag won't deserve what phone is offering.
but if phone we get phone like L520 there is no reson to look any other android / apple product

Last edited:

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

Why dont you read the reviews about it ? :p

Somebody wants a .exe, someone want Opera, and somebody else is just ranting. So much for reviews :D

Of course I can use an Asha phone. But then why does one want an S4 then ? Is he going to really attach a keyboard to it mid transatlantic flight and send out a top secret mail to a freshly opened email account on the other side of the planed using tor ? Seriously? How long does the battery last playing these games you speak of ? Does everyone who bought a S4 reall NEED it ?

I'd much rather own a sleek, streamlined device than a master of all trades. Just because a device can do something doesnt automatically mean its the better value. You speak of customisation - I love the tiles. You speak of open-source - I dont care. You speak of the number of cores and RAM - I ask you about user experience. you speak of the 700k apps - I look at my phone which does all I want out of the box generally and the rest with apps I find. You call upon google maps - I have that and offline maps.

WP is not perfect, there are things to be sorted out. But its not as bad as a lot of people claim. And for some people its the best device that money can buy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom