The Windows 8 Thread

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
but fastboot disables stuff like USB boot, or booting into other systems (OSs), etc ?

I am sure you can always activate usb as the first boot device whenever you need.

And BTW the reason why windows 8 feels to boot fast is as per my observation is that windows 8 have its own boot loader. What I mean is that when bootloader of windows 8 starts almost the entire OS is already loaded completely. That's apparent when you select other OS from the list then the PC reboots from scratch to load the other OS.

That makes another thing of W8 which I don't really like.

I created a 15-20GB partition for installing Ubuntu (trying it out), no more using it. So I want my 20GB back in one of my partitions. How can I do it ?

My laptop is currently running in Windows 8.1

I created a 15-20GB partition for installing Ubuntu (trying it out), no more using it. So I want my 20GB back in one of my partitions. How can I do it ?

My laptop is currently running in Windows 8.1

If you want to just try out the OS, why not run it in a virtual machine instead? Much safer and easy.

aaruni

The Linux Guy
OK, I need to install windows server 2012 R2 (so, that's windows 8.1), but it won't install if I don't enter the product key. It is a genuine product, and I can activate it twice, and twice only, so I don't want to waste those activations on a non-stable PC (read previous page for my multi-boot aims). Any workarounds for this problem ?

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
OK, I need to install windows server 2012 R2 (so, that's windows 8.1), but it won't install if I don't enter the product key. It is a genuine product, and I can activate it twice, and twice only, so I don't want to waste those activations on a non-stable PC (read previous page for my multi-boot aims). Any workarounds for this problem ?

I did this for Windows 8.1, you can try for server.

create a bootable USB.

Now go to the USB, then source folder.
Create a file named "ei.cfg" there and add the following lines.

[EditionID]
Professional
[Channel]
Retail
[VL]

Now boot from the USB, It will not ask for 8.1 key in the beginning of the installation. Once the installation completes, you can skip he steps where it ask for product key.

For activating, you can try any license backup and restore tool like Advanced Token Manager.

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
So if you dont update to 8.1 update 1 before may 12 or something you wont get any updates later... wth microsoft

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
What if I'm already in 8.1 and didn't update to 8.1 update 1 by may 11 ? What will Happen!

You will still remain in W8.1.

Jokes aside, whats the big confusion? You can unpdate whenever you want, if you want. But if you want the latest update, you have to update all the previous versions as well. Thats how incremental updates work, universally.

Top Bottom