The Windows 8 Thread

gameranand

Living to Play
Yeah well already faced some problems like My Corsair Vengeance 1500's drivers not installing on Win 8. Though a quick google search revealed that it should work in Win 7 compatibility mode, will try that at home.:)

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
Getting used to Windows 8 from 7 is not that hard, though I still miss my start button.

But eventually you will like it's simplicity & cleaner interface..

BTW 1 offtopic query :

I'm trying to create a torrent but content is not getting uploaded.. any help??

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
about making torrent file :
How to Make a Torrent - Videos & Guides - Help - µTorrent - a (very) tiny BitTorrent client
User Manual - Documentation - Help - BitTorrent - Delivering the World's Content

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
Thnx..

BTW is there any way for backing up all installed updates or anything that would allow me to stop from going thru pain of installing all updates again (after a format)??

Vignesh B

Youngling
^^ Try creating a slipstream installation. It will install all the updates while installing Windows. There are even methods to slipstream your drivers/softwares etc too. Google is your teacher :)
Another method is to use some software like WSUS Offline Update - Update Microsoft Windows and Office without an Internet connection
I had used Windows Download integrator in a lot of Windows 7 installations. Seems it supports Win 8 too now. During the time of XP, there was something called nlite(?) which did the same job and also allowed many other features.

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
I found out that "Windows Download Integrator" would work for me but couldn't find a proper download..
could u help??

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
You can download the update files from Microsoft Download Center and install the updates offline.

Well I guessed that but downloading about 45 updates of which 5-10 are 50-100mb range & 20 are 5-10mb & rest are <1mb & then installing them in a particular sequence & that too individually is real pain in@$$

Vignesh B

Youngling
I found out that "Windows Download Integrator" would work for me but couldn't find a proper download..
could u help??
WDI seems to be unavailable as of now as Alphawaves is updating the version. There are download links in the wild but I won't suggest using them. Hopefully, WDI should be up within a month.
As an alternative, try out Win Toolkit - WinCert.net Forums

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
When will be Windows 8.1 released??
If we install 8.1 over 8, what will happen to OEM apps? As currently I'm using OEM modified Windows 8 in a laptop.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
When will be Windows 8.1 released??
If we install 8.1 over 8, what will happen to OEM apps? As currently I'm using OEM modified Windows 8 in a laptop.

If you install the preview, you have to reinstall the actual 8.1 when it releases AFAIK (not very sure though).

What is this OEM modified W8 ?

nikufellow

In the zone
Guys i have a few queries
*where do i find a ' download in progress ' from the modern ui incarnation of IE10 i mean the one we start from 'start screen'
*is windows defender enough for protection? If not please recommend a free AV that'll hold up to thee task
*I have about 1.3gb of windows updates (over half of them are security fixes) should i update now or wait for 8.1 as it might include all these updates and i don't have to waste bandwidth now

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
*where do i find a ' download in progress ' from the modern ui incarnation of IE10 i mean the one we start from 'start screen'
*is windows defender enough for protection? If not please recommend a free AV that'll hold up to thee task
*I have about 1.3gb of windows updates (over half of them are security fixes) should i update now or wait for 8.1 as it might include all these updates and i don't have to waste bandwidth now

* no idea man, btw why do you download from ie anyway?

* no Windows defender is not good. Use avast or avira or avg antivirus.

* I'm also thinking same. ;)
Waiting for 8.1

amjath

Human Spambot
Below close button u can see settings/options icon click to drop down select "View Downloads" or "Ctrl+J", if and only if u dont have any third party download manager
IMO Windows Defender is enough, I faced zero issues using it for the past 2 years [Microsoft essential in Windows 7]. U can go by others comments too
It ll available on October 26 only. So i suggest u download atleast security fix which will consume less bandwidth
Source
answers are in red

Vignesh B

Youngling
Ctrl+j. Already answered above.

Yes, for all all the basic purposes if you follow some common sense approach.

Security updates are not bandwidth "wastage". Update them now.

Top Bottom