The Windows 8 Thread

Vignesh B

Youngling
the iso isn't available there yet.

Here's an inside change list for Windows 8.1: Windows 8.1 Product Guide for Developers
Yes, ISO isn't available yet. That's why I mentioned "Windows store" download size.

Edit : The ISO is now available. Windows 8.1 Preview ISO files - Microsoft Windows

Last edited:

noob

Cyborg Agent
How is 8.1 ? MS really trolled by putting back start button but no start menu on click :D

How is 8.1 ? MS really trolled by putting back start button but no start menu on click :D

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

Yeah. For once MS is looking into the future better than these whiners who are too emotionally attached to a round bubbly logo.

Yeah. For once MS is looking into the future better than these whiners who are too emotionally attached to a round bubbly logo.

lol :lol: If used for some time, people will really forget the round bubbly thing. I hope there will be some trick to remove the start menu from 8.1 :)

Gollum

Collector
what I dont like with win 8 is the way it hides the shutdown option
I don't know why they increased the steps for the same

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
^ because this is what micrsoft had found out from their research

Shutdown has become a less frequent activity. Most laptops and desktops sleep when inactive.

but good news, shutdown is added to Win + X menu in 8.1. only two clicks now.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
what I dont like with win 8 is the way it hides the shutdown option
I don't know why they increased the steps for the same

windows 8 is primarily targeted towards mobile devices mainly and hardly anyone shuts down .. my Android phone is up for past 15 days and that's why MS thought of removing the option but still IU do think pc/laptop should have that option along with hibernate option visible by default.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
win 8 gathered the unwanted comments because of the no-different UI for both the mobile devices and pc. They could have very well avoided all the fuss just by tweaking the OS for pc a bit and make it less cumbersome to use.

Their start screen is still intiutive and easy to adapt with some practice and I believe is the right step forward from the traditional windows so far. Infact the search features in win8 is the best so far in any version of windows before. people complained even about start screen only because it was new and adapting to changes take some time.

Gollum

Collector
windows 8 is primarily targeted towards mobile devices mainly and hardly anyone shuts down .. my Android phone is up for past 15 days and that's why MS thought of removing the option but still IU do think pc/laptop should have that option along with hibernate option visible by default.

you don't really need hibernate, just put the pc in sleep mode and disconnect power
later when you start the PC it will switch On as if you put it in hibernate.
Its called hybrid sleep which I like a lot.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the info .. so is there any difference between Hybrid Sleep and Hibernate ?

Hrishi

Thanks for the info .. so is there any difference between Hybrid Sleep and Hibernate ?

The later is meant primarily for laptops.When the computer is totally switched of , instead of being in a low-power state.
Additionally , all the data is stored on the HDD only (hibernate).

The Hybrid-Sleep acts just like sleep because the hibernate data is stored on RAM modules(+HDD) , so it boots up as if it were just sleeping.

BTW , I was trying to install WIn8 on VMware8.x and it gave me some error related to the "Key". Can't recall what is was exactly.
I had to create a blank Vmware boot-up and then mount the image later. Was it because of the trial/preview version ???

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
so the Hybrid sleep mode stores data on Ram ? HDD or on Both ? because according to Gollum you can disconnect power from pc after put it in Hybrid Sleep mode but if it stores all the data on Ram it will be lost but if it puts all the data on HDD I don't there's any difference between Hibernate and Hybrid Sleep then.

Hrishi

so the Hybrid sleep mode stores data on Ram ? HDD or on Both ? because according to Gollum you can disconnect power from pc after put it in Hybrid Sleep mode but if it stores all the data on Ram it will be lost but if it puts all the data on HDD I don't there's any difference between Hibernate and Hybrid Sleep then.

Well , in Bybrid Sleep the System copies data from RAM to HardDrive gradually.
It also retains the data in the RAM module as well.

Now there exists two copies of the same data , one in hard drive and other one is RAM.
If the system is in low-power state , it'll retain the data in RAM and will behave just like a SlEEP mode does.It'll restore/access data from RAM.

If there's a power cut , the RAM will loose it's data.(FLush RAM contents). However , there was a copy of data in Hard drive , right ?? So it'll restore the data from HardDrive just like it does on a normal hibernate mode.

So in a simple and plain language , the system will behave to be in "SLEEP" mode , when there's no power-cut. And it'll behave as if it was hibernated if somebody snatched the plug from the port.

Last edited:
Well , in Bybrid Sleep the System copies data from RAM to HardDrive gradually.
It also retains the data in the RAM module as well.

Now there exists two copies of the same data , one in hard drive and other one is RAM.
If the system is in low-power state , it'll retain the data in RAM and will behave just like a SlEEP mode does.It'll restore/access data from RAM.

If there's a power cut , the RAM will loose it's data.(FLush RAM contents). However , there was a copy of data in Hard drive , right ?? So it'll restore the data from HardDrive just like it does on a normal hibernate mode.

So in a simple and plain language , the system will behave to be in "SLEEP" mode , when there's no power-cut. And it'll behave as if it was hibernated if somebody snatched the plug from the port.

So, if you manually disable hibernate to save a couple of GB's off disk space, then no hybrid sleep for you :(

Gollum

Collector

its called hybrid since you can remove power
the major difference is the time it takes to come back from sleep.
if I remove the time for my PC to post, the boot takes 2~3 seconds to load completely
That's lightning fast when compared to win7

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
thnaks guys and here I found a nice link which describes it in depth :
What is Hybrid Sleep and Differences with Basic Sleep Mode in Vista « My Digital Life

so in Hybrid sleep mode if pc loses power it wiull have to restore data from HDDs hibernate.sys file but restoring anything from HDD is slow [ talking about restoring about ~4-5 Gb data ] unless you are using a SSD or have a very few apps running.

Top Bottom