The Windows 8 Thread

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I upgraded from win 7 to win 8 by paying Rs.1999 online and after installation spent some 10 minutes to shutdown my PC. What the hell is shutdown doing in settings???

Pssst.... let me tell you a secret
Press the power button

or just right click at the left bottom of the taskbar ;)

gurujee

Can't Talk. In The Zone.
The version available on flipkart is probably(almost 90%) the version which MS offers for (1999+1060), the DVD version. And it doesn't matter if you're running a genuine or non-genuine version of windows, you can flawlessly upgrade to Win 8 or do a clean install of the OS as I did. Even on MS website they nowhere mentioned the word "Genuine".

That means, If i buy the win8 from flipkart for 3.5k, then i can clean install the OS from the dvd supplied?

ritwiksondhi

Journeyman
That means, If i buy the win8 from flipkart for 3.5k, then i can clean install the OS from the dvd supplied?
I believe that's the case but I'm just 90% sure. It'd be better if you buy it through Windows Upgrade Assistant because that's what I did which makes me 100% sure.

icebags

Technomancer
For those who are confuzed with box packs of win8 in store/flipkart, read in order::

# Boxed copies of Windows 8 Pro do not work for clean installs - Operating Systems - Build - News - Atomic MPC
# windows 8 retail box version - Microsoft Community
# Retailers confused on Windows 8 licensing - Software - Technology - News - CRN Australia

reniarahim1

Youngling
For those who are confuzed with box packs of win8 in store/flipkart, read in order::

# Boxed copies of Windows 8 Pro do not work for clean installs - Operating Systems - Build - News - Atomic MPC
# windows 8 retail box version - Microsoft Community
# Retailers confused on Windows 8 licensing - Software - Technology - News - CRN Australia

Confused now. I got the product key for win8 pro and i want to do a clean install of the OS as my Windows 7 is 32 bit and i am planning to install 64bit win 8. Any one tried this using Rs 1999 update. Will the clean install dont work?

dissel

Cyborg Agent
did you install in a new machine like a newly assembled desktop or just in a laptop which comes Win 7 or Vista with preloaded with OEM key (COA) at the back ? Can you let me know....Please.

reniarahim1

Youngling
I didnt install till now. I have the product key with me. have to download win 8 first.

The laptop came preloaded with Vista and i upgraded to Win 7 HP and activated win 7 using the new licence key i got.

The laptop has windows vista OEM key (COA) at the back and i want to install win 8 64 bit now.

icebags

Technomancer
^^
(1)buy win8 upgrade with upgrade assistant. after showing the new key, when it starts download, cancel it. go to the mail address u gave. u will see the bill + key + a download link.
(2)in another empty 25GB+ partition, install 64 bit win8 release preview / demo (expires on jan 15 probably) and open the mail there again. from the download link in mail u get a new upgrade assistant, open it and it will ask for ur new win8 key. write it and start download. after download completes, select "create dvd media" and save iso . it will be the 64 bit iso u need.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
^^
(1)buy win8 upgrade with upgrade assistant. after showing the new key, when it starts download, cancel it. go to the mail address u gave. u will see the bill + key + a download link.
(2)in another empty 25GB+ partition, install 64 bit win8 release preview / demo (expires on jan 15 probably) and open the mail there again. from the download link in mail u get a new upgrade assistant, open it and it will ask for ur new win8 key. write it and start download. after download completes, select "create dvd media" and save iso . it will be the 64 bit iso u need.

or simply download win8 from upgrade assistant on a 64bit OS to get a win8 64 bit version.

when u download win 8 on 32 bit OS (eg::win 7 32 bit), it will download the 32 bit version on win 8. if you do it on 64 bit version, u will end up getting a 64bit win 8 version :p

gameranand

Living to Play
Too much confusion for a OS installation eh....I am better with Win 7 for some some months for sure until all of this dust settles down. :p

reniarahim1

Youngling
thanks all..i have 64 bit release preview installed in my laptop. i will download win8 from there and reformat the drive with release preview and do a fresh install.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Yes....it is too much confusion now...and some user @ FK (who bought that particular copy) said in the product review section that the listing is for full copy. No need any genuine previous version of windows as pre-requisite. FK's windows package can be installed in any bare bone machine which can capable running win 8.

But surprisingly no "Certified Buyer" tag beside his review/name.

here the review by Abhimanyu Shukla

Full version and Can be installed on any PC. Bought and Installed myself.

Flipkart rocks. I got confused from another comment from Rahul that it may be upgrade, and asked Flipkart to cancel. They called me and informed me that it is a Full version, however if I still want to cancel, I should not take shipment delivery, and they will return the money. I did take delivery of shipment. I have a Microsoft packing box with both 64 and 32 bit dvd, and a valid key card. I installed it fresh on a system with Linux, and enjoying it.

It is full version and can be installed in any supporting system without any prior windows. Happy Flipkarting.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Yes....it is too much confusion now...and some user @ FK (who bought that particular copy) said in the product review section that the listing is for full copy. No need any genuine previous version of windows as pre-requisite. FK's windows package can be installed in any bare bone machine which can capable running win 8.

But surprisingly no "Certified Buyer" tag beside his review/name.

here the review by Abhimanyu Shukla

I believe you (whoever has installed) has activated the OS after installing.

Thats where the error pops up.

Just for reassurance, can you confirm if that has done

icebags

Technomancer
^^ right, he can't activate the FK version without upgrade.

or simply download win8 from upgrade assistant on a 64bit OS to get a win8 64 bit version.
when u download win 8 on 32 bit OS (eg::win 7 32 bit), it will download the 32 bit version on win 8. if you do it on 64 bit version, u will end up getting a 64bit win 8 version :p
that is what i said, purchase in existing 32 bit, download in 64 bit.
or one can order the DVD box pack, it contains both 32bit & 64 bit dvds.

Last edited:
Hi, as you know that in Win 8's task Manager, the Network usage is displayed in Mbps. I currently access internet through my 2g mobile and thus get speed around 30-40 kbps. So whenever I have to check an application's internet usage, I have to go to resource monitor which displays network usage in kbps (which is more appropriate for the speed I'm getting). So, I want to know if there's some way of displaying network usage in task Manager in kbps instead of Mbps.

Thank You.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
people who dont like win 8's modern ui can simply think of the start screen as a glorified start menu. And there you have win 7 supercharged= win8. Use only the desktop.

Top Bottom