The Windows 8 Thread

gameranand

Living to Play
So basically Win 8 is not worth the upgrade if I am on win 7. I read on various forums that it conflicts with many games which is a real real bad thing for me, Maybe I'll wait for SP1 to cure all the diseases this OS have and then I'll use it. :)

Neo

So basically Win 8 is not worth the upgrade if I am on win 7. I read on various forums that it conflicts with many games which is a real real bad thing for me, Maybe I'll wait for SP1 to cure all the diseases this OS have and then I'll use it. :)

+1 totally agree. Plus this with the metro UI , which makes no sense on a desktop.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Got Win8 for my dad's new system. I didn't bother to check the Rs. 699 promo, paid Rs. 1,999 from my brothers CC :p , also bought Start8 for Windows® 8 - Bringing back the Windows Start menu for $4.99 so that my dad doesn't get totally confused with the new Interface :p . I was very doubtful if I would ever use Win8, but initial impressions are good. I need to setup a Live account for my dad. Also I have to get a copy of Office Home & Student edition. I'm not sure if I have to wait till the next version comes out?? .. I heard its a PITA as its suppose to be locked to a Live ID.

EDIT: BTW.. I did a clean install of Win 8. was initially pi$$ed about the text as it look too rough.. but then I reset my monitor to factory defaults and it worked fine :)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ I need to pay him back :p (i Think :D), or I can say that there is mutual understanding :p

hari1

In the zone
@rcuber
You wasted $5 on Start8?
There are many free alternatives available. Reasearch before you spend money on software.

icebags

Technomancer
Got Win8 for my dad's new system. I didn't bother to check the Rs. 699 promo, paid Rs. 1,999 from my brothers CC :p , also bought Start8 for Windows® 8 - Bringing back the Windows Start menu for $4.99 so that my dad doesn't get totally confused with the new Interface :p . I was very doubtful if I would ever use Win8, but initial impressions are good. I need to setup a Live account for my dad. Also I have to get a copy of Office Home & Student edition. I'm not sure if I have to wait till the next version comes out?? .. I heard its a PITA as its suppose to be locked to a Live ID.

EDIT: BTW.. I did a clean install of Win 8. was initially pi$$ed about the text as it look too rough.. but then I reset my monitor to factory defaults and it worked fine :)

u could have used classicshell, that's free and more classic. :D

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
@rcuber
You wasted $5 on Start8?
There are many free alternatives available. Reasearch before you spend money on software.
haha.. I could have got Start8 itself for "say free".. I used it ..liked it .. bought it .... I chose software which satisfies my requirement.. be it free or paid.. :)

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ Download the windows upgrade assistant , and follow the steps there, it will show Rs 1999 as the price, but continue and in the checkout page you can enter the upgrade key, that'll reduce the price to Rs 699

^ errm he says his friend already purchased the upgrade.
tell ur friend to open the mail he received as purchase bill, there is a link for another "upgrade assistant". download that and execute it by double click, ur friend will be prompted to enter serial. do that, and choose upgrade path as "keep no files" (if it asks for such option), upgrade by creating media (usb/dvd), select dvd and it will ask for location save the download as .iso file. save it. ur friend then can create usb/dvd by using "windows 7 usb/dvd download tool".

justs remember, downloading the upgrade in 32 bit os will give u 32 bit upgrade iso, while in 64 bit os it will give 64 bit iso.

Ideally from "anywhere". But the key would have come, after certain questions were asked, so he should get 32 or 64BIT respectively. Else, what was said below your question. Use the upgrade assistant. And before you ask: UA, will not analyze the license status of the computer used to DL the ISO. Else the person can open his user account from M$ (they ask for last name, country, order number), and a DL ISO link will be there. Then your friend can use the Win 7 USB Tool, to build the bootable USB, and pronto.

Something like this:
*i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i450/anilasingh1977/Photobucket%20Desktop%20-%20ANILSINGHPC/WindowsOrderSummary.png

Thanks. :)

aaruni

The Linux Guy
I am installing the Windows 8 Release Preview now, from Digit DVD, and it asks for a serial key. Where do I get that???

Makx

Game on
I am installing the Windows 8 Release Preview now, from Digit DVD, and it asks for a serial key. Where do I get that???
key here - [Direct Download Links] Windows 8 Release Preview (RC Build) - Tweaking with Vishal

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Microsoft Windows 8 Professional: Flipkart.com: Microsoft Operating Systems

Is this is full retail copy or just 1 time activation machine locked version ? Though no where they mention this upgrade version.

What will be the actual price of win 8 pro in india ?

icebags

Technomancer
i think MS has not released retail versions in anywhere yet. almost certain it's upgrade version. retail pro is expected to be priced @ ~11k.

gurujee

Can't Talk. In The Zone.
the license available at flipcart is a upgrade version only ????? i want to buy one, but not upgrade but full license as i dont have any license version of MS OS. please confirm someone.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
I'm thinking going to mail FK Customer Support team about that listing, What is it ? They must put some label that it is a Upgrade version or what ? It is hell of confusion right now. Look at the review of that , people asking the same question.

But if anyone got genuine previous version of windows (From XP to Seven any one) in their computer, for them it is economical to go online way (Windows Upgrade Assistant) which cost just 1999/- and 2 gb download.On the flip side user must either hold CC or Paypal advantage as pre-requisition .

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
BTW.. one thing I noticed.. some member mentioned their dislike of Live integration. though I was a bit unhappy when I read a little about Live integration. I don't think its wrong.. it was just time Microsoft implemented it. Also take Android(yea.. its a mobile OS) or Chromium OS. Integration with Google account is by default. I am still exploring Win 8 (hardly get time) so cant comment how well Microsoft have integrated Live with Windows 8.

kaudey

Journeyman
I upgraded from win 7 to win 8 by paying Rs.1999 online and after installation spent some 10 minutes to shutdown my PC. What the hell is shutdown doing in settings???

ritwiksondhi

Journeyman
I'm thinking going to mail FK Customer Support team about that listing, What is it ? They must put some label that it is a Upgrade version or what ? It is hell of confusion right now. Look at the review of that , people asking the same question.

But if anyone got genuine previous version of windows (From XP to Seven any one) in their computer, for them it is economical to go online way (Windows Upgrade Assistant) which cost just 1999/- and 2 gb download.On the flip side user must either hold CC or Paypal advantage as pre-requisition .

The version available on flipkart is probably(almost 90%) the version which MS offers for (1999+1060), the DVD version. And it doesn't matter if you're running a genuine or non-genuine version of windows, you can flawlessly upgrade to Win 8 or do a clean install of the OS as I did. Even on MS website they nowhere mentioned the word "Genuine".

I upgraded from win 7 to win 8 by paying Rs.1999 online and after installation spent some 10 minutes to shutdown my PC. What the hell is shutdown doing in settings???
That's how they've made it. You can use Alt+F4 to shutdown or just install Classic Shell to get the old start menu back.

Last edited:
Top Bottom