The Samsung Galaxy Y Thread

quicky008

Technomancer
One of my neighbours is really interested in buying the galaxy Y.He intends to use the phone primarily to browse the internet from his pc using GPRS and therefore he wants to know whether the Galaxy Y supports this feature or not.Can this phone be used as a data modem for browsing the internet from a computer via USB tethering?If yes,I'd be delighted if someone could post step by step instructions on how it can be achieved.Does it require any kind of PC suite for this purpose?

p.s. My neighbour isn't a tech-savvy guy and so he has no intention of rooting his phone.

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
i think a small software, easy tether can be used to setup the mobile as modem. i use this app & most likely its universal.

quicky008

Technomancer
Thanks for your advice Sam.My neighbour will be using it with his pc that runs Win XP sp2.Does he need to install the drivers for galaxy y before he can use it for usb tethering?If yes,please tell me from where can those drivers be obtained.I've checked Samsung's official website but no drivers or PC suite are available there for this particular phone.

It seems there are two versions of this utility-the full version and a "lite" version,the latter is probably available for free.Can Easy tether lite be used for this purpose?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
yes, most likely only the USB drivers will be required. easy tether is a 2 part app. 1 part for mobile, next part to be installed in pc/laptop. about usb driver, i don't know. i don't own a samsung droid. but usually 1 usb driver works for almost all similar mobiles (fit, pop, etc). so a simple google search should give you the link or it may ship in the driver cd for the mobile.

manoj_299

Out of Stock
One of my neighbours is really interested in buying the galaxy Y.He intends to use the phone primarily to browse the internet from his pc using GPRS and therefore he wants to know whether the Galaxy Y supports this feature or not.Can this phone be used as a data modem for browsing the internet from a computer via USB tethering?If yes,I'd be delighted if someone could post step by step instructions on how it can be achieved.Does it require any kind of PC suite for this purpose?

p.s. My neighbour isn't a tech-savvy guy and so he has no intention of rooting his phone.

You don't need any special software for tethering. This phone has option of usb & wifi thetering. Even u can make it wifi hotspot by enabling wifi thetering. I checked this features by activate EDGE GPRS connection and enable wifi thetering by option. And yes my friend using other wifi mobile detect an access point and then connect to it and browse smoothly using my GPRS connection via wifi.

manoj_299

Out of Stock
For wifi thetering there is no need of Kies just need wifi enable device. For USB I think Kies should be enough.

quicky008

Technomancer
Thanks to all of your for your support.According to what most people have suggested,it seems Kies includes all the necessary drivers for this phone and therefore it will not be necessary to install the drivers separately for usb tethering-can someone kindly confirm it?

Earlier today,i came across a website which contained an article about using using USB tethering on Galaxy Y.Here the author hasn't mentioned anything about Kies or Easytether and has claimed that one doesn't need any drivers to enable usb tethering on windows 7.He has also suggested that users running windows XP will need to install the drivers before they can enable tethering,the driver is actually some kind of .inf file which can be downloaded from android.com.Does this driver really work?How is someone supposed to install the drivers from an .inf file?The link to this article is given below:

Android News, Tips and Reviews: Browse the Internet in Your Desktop using Samsung Galaxy Y

Can someone check it and confirm whether these techniques are really gonna work or not?

I tried downloading Easytether from android marketplace but it says one can only download it from an account which is registered to an android device.Does it mean one can only download this utility from an android phone?Can the phone be used as a data modem even if one doesn't make use of easytether?(just as it has been suggested in the aforementioned article).

@manoj_299:thanks buddy but this guy has no intention of using it in Wi-fi mode,he merely wishes to connect it to his pc via usb for browsing,like what most people usually do with their ordinary GPRS enabled handsets.

Last edited:

andro

Broken In
^^no need for anything..u dont even have to install kies...connect the phone to the system and there's an option provided in it to usb-tether...have used personally on my system with a friends GY many times..

RBX

In the zone
I got my sis a Wave 525 this Rakshabandhan which costed nearly 6500 with memory stick. I wish I had waited for some time.

quicky008

Technomancer
@andro:Thanks a lot for your advice.Which version of windows are u using?I've heard that although windows 7 doesn't require any drivers for tethering,they are needed for windows xp.Can u tell me the exact steps that you had taken to connect to internet from your pc through galaxy y?Do i need to setup this phone as a dial-up modem from network settings in control panel or will it be configured automatically? Please note that my neighbour doesn't have windows 7 on his pc,he uses XP.

manoj_299

Out of Stock
Today I tether my mobile with USB connection and it automatically installed driver (maybe driver has been installed with Kies). I just insert the usb jack in computer attach with handset on other hand it just installed all needed driver automatically & connect with internet. No need to start Kies. I'm using Vista along with Reliance 3G on mobile.

utkarsh009

In the zone
Does the super paltry 130 PPI screen even look good? And what about the worst video recording QCIF @ 15 FPS? Well how's it compared to SE zylo and Motorola charm which are much much better in this respect? And don't compare it with LG o1 xperia mini. They have much better ppi and outperform galaxy y. You must be talking about the old xperia mini ....lol. :-D

andro

Broken In
@andro:Thanks a lot for your advice.Which version of windows are u using?I've heard that although windows 7 doesn't require any drivers for tethering,they are needed for windows xp.Can u tell me the exact steps that you had taken to connect to internet from your pc through galaxy y?Do i need to setup this phone as a dial-up modem from network settings in control panel or will it be configured automatically? Please note that my neighbour doesn't have windows 7 on his pc,he uses XP.

I am using Win 7 ultimate 64 bit,although 32 bit is also compatible for sure.Regarding XP I am not sure coz have not used with it.
You dont need to do anything on WIN7,it will automatically detect it as a new network.For win XP you have to try with someone else coz I currently have Linux and W7 installed so cant tell u about that.

icebags

Technomancer
how is the battery life of galaxy Y, with moderate talking and a little chatting browsing ?

is there any call receiving issues while the phone is locked ? :)

manoj_299

Out of Stock
Android is battery hungry. On call battery has a good life but on internet, GPS, 3G as they use screen brightness too the battery life if not good.

The best thing I liked about the Galaxy Y since I bought it is its Routing capabilities. I spent a few days trying to figure out from which port was the phone's modem accessible (for nokia its port 1). Then I found out that the phone acts as a router, not a modem.

On linux, I simply plugged in the phone to my laptop via cable and ran
Code:
sudo dhcpcd
and this thing was auto discovered and used as a router. This router can be used to access both 3G/EDGE as well as WiFi through USB interface. Really good for those who have laptops with wifi driver issues, or those on desktops who wish to access a wifi network.
Android is battery hungry. On call battery has a good life but on internet, GPS, 3G as they use screen brightness too the battery life if not good.

Seriously avoid making random statements without using something the right way.

Any phone where you keep a gazillion widgets and apps running when you don't need them, with WiFi, 3G, Bluetooth and GPS on at the same time, you will obviously end up wasting battery life.

I've seen this "issue" happen on a Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, a bunch of androids and even a HTC Touch (winmo device).

If you wish to have an optimum battery life, turn off WiFi, 3G/EDGE, GPS and Bluetooth when they are not needed. Use the Android task manager to kill off unwanted apps.

how is the battery life of galaxy Y, with moderate talking and a little chatting browsing ?

is there any call receiving issues while the phone is locked ? :)

For me with moderate use the battery lasts about 36 hours (a day and a half). Galaxy Y has a smaller battery capacity compared to fellow androids but the smaller screen I guess balences things out.

And no there is no call receiving issues while the phone is locked. Whenever there is a call, simply press the answer button on the headset or hold and drag the onscreen answer button to the right.

vishald

Broken In
Hi,

I am planning to buy this phone and need to know if you experience any issues while surfing Internet using wifi. I will b using this phone mainly to surf using wifi netwok.

Thanx in advance

Vishal

Hi,

I am planning to buy this phone and need to know if you experience any issues while surfing Internet using wifi. I will b using this phone mainly to surf using wifi netwok.

Thanx in advance

Vishal

No issues with WiFi as such. If you are comfortable with typing on a touch screen, get this.

manoj_299

Out of Stock
My statement is based on my usage. U r right. I use many application on device same time so battery dont last long. Mostly I'm online almost all day, even do blogging too from this phone. My battery dont last long as I'm a hardcore user. I do charge daily mostly twice a day. When I don't use it much only use for call point battery life is good.

Yes, I this phone work as router.

Top Bottom