The Samsung Galaxy Y Thread

Hi guys!!

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Y. Its got a 240x320 screen. Knowing this limitation, please suggest some nice apps for it :D

I want the following:

1. Twitter, Facebook, Google+ Apps (installed official ones from the market)
  2. Document Editing - I need an office suite (quickoffice is preinstalled - is it good enough ?)
  3. GMail - I've app preinstalled. Anything better will be welcome
  4. Document Viewing - PDF and DJVU and TXT files to read books. Suggest a good app. Not sure how good adobe acrobat is. Any other app ? Should be light and fast.
  5. Maps & GPS - please suggest what all apps to install. Some people think I lack a sense of direction but that's only because most of the time I end up visiting places for the first time all alone. So I need a nice set of apps to help me :D (I'm using default maps app for now...)
  6. Games - DUH!!!

Filemanagement - are there any good apps better than preinstalled ones ??

Mod Edit: since quite a few people are starting to buy this phone, let this be the one thread to discuss stuff about the Galaxy Y.

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Re: Bought a Galaxy Y - Suggest good apps

first of all congrats. now the wait for the review begins :grin:

ThinkFree Office Mobile can be used for doc viewing but it is only for Froyo. or you may search ThinkFree Office for Optimus One (it was bundled & someone extra the apk. not sure if it'll work).

for filemanager, you may use OI file manager but extremely basic.

btw can you test your mobile with Neocore & post the result here.

thinkfree office vs quickoffice. which ? I plan to have one app per purpose to avoid wasting memory.

PS: Also got an iPad 2. Review just written so this one will need to wait a bit longer maybe till this weekend :D

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends

Filemanagement - are there any good
apps better than preinstalled ones ??
Astro File manager is the best low level file manager which is enough for most tasks.
1. Twitter, Facebook, Google+ Apps
(installed official ones from the
market)
the official ones are best according to me. They are best in functionality and are most stable and good :)

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent

Root it
install -setcpu,Barcode scanner,Tapatalk,Total recall call recorder,Games-Angry birds & plants v/s zombies,warmux

rockgrenade_7

Right off the assembly line
samsung galaxy y

im planning to buy samsung galaxy y for (android 2.3 :D @ the price)
though im worried about 2.0 MP camera,...
im eager as this would be my first android..
anybody using this phone, or with genuine revievs please help!

Xbox

Inclined to Tech
Re: samsung galaxy y

U r getting more for the amount ur paying..
as it has 2.3.5 GB OS,832 MHz, 3 Inch QVGA screen for Rs 6500 is a steal..
2 MP Camera is adequate for such a feature rich device in this range..
Go for it if u have tight budget and want everything android offers..

Minion

Conversation Architect

rockgrenade_7,Currently it is the best phone you can get at this price Everything is good in this phone 2megapixel camera is ok.Don't worry go for this baby.
processor is quite powerful its a broadcom iv every thing is good for the price you pay.

rockgrenade_7

Right off the assembly line

:D thanks a lot everybody, thats exactly what i wanted to hear :D
i hav a really tight budget, cant spend more than 7-8k right now :|... so i guess galaxy y :)

diagus

Journeyman

its available at homeshop18 at rs 5999 with 1000 discount coupon

or

if your budget is 8000 buy LG Optimus One at Rs 77740.0 from letsbuy with discount coupon

manoj_299

Out of Stock
I'm using galaxy y even I'm now posting from this. Camera pic quality can't be justified by mega pixel. Mega pixel only says about size of the image. I'm using it and I can say pic quality is excellent.if u want I can upload a snap for u.

I brought it from ebay almost a month ago when I had a Rs 1000 voucher from ebay. Price was 7199 but I got it just for 6199, whereas local seller offer me last 7000 in Kolkata. I'm fully satisfied with it. A real value for money. Right now I think its cheapest available on snapdeal.com for something 6250 approx

ravikovela

Broken In

Manoj,

Can you please upload a sample snap?

What about the screen size? I think 3 inch is very less for comfortable browsing and texting. How is your experience?

Thanks

manoj_299

Out of Stock
Can you post the cons of Galaxy Y?

This is my first Android phone, so can't say exactly the con by comparing with other Android. My friend has LG P500 which I used some before buying this for mine. All I can say this phone is great value for money if compare with LG P500. This phone has faster processor of 832Mhz compare to P500 but has less RAM of 289 MB only compare to 512 MB of P500. Camera image shoot @3.2 mpixel in p500 compare 2 mpixel to this handset but pic quality is very good. Rest is screen size is some smaller just 2.8 inch. But when we compare the price then we can say 6200 of this set is great value of money compare to 9000 of P500.

Overall I recommend this handset.

manoj_299

Out of Stock
Thank you Manoj.

How is your browsing experience?

Browsing experience was little bit difficult first because of small screen size and not habit of touch screen but now I'm expertise in SWYPE Keyboard function.just check I'm posting from this mobile so easily without any problem. Using android forum application Tapatalk.

Top Bottom