The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

ray|raven

Think Zen.
NTFS i guess, considering you dont want to install extra s/w on every windows box you wanna use the drive on.

But, you'd have to follow a guide , Or, buy a software to write on NTFS.

But, if you want to use it on only one windows system, format it with HFS, and install this s/w to access the drive on windows.

Last edited:

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
I can't seem to copy HD files (.mkv) to my WD HDD. It's showing this error:

*farm3.static.flickr.com/2331/2433533654_2a048893a3_o.png

Can anyone help?

I got exactly the same error when I connected MacBook to Vaio via a crossover cable ( I have to state here that WiFi sucks for file transfers!! ). After a little investigation I realized that it was because I didn't enable the sharing on the drives!! Try enabling sharing from properties dialog box of that drive and you should be fine.
I am pretty sure it has got nothing to do with Fat or ntfs thing. As for Fat not able to save larger files, thats true!!

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
I got exactly the same error when I connected MacBook to Vaio via a crossover cable ( I have to state here that WiFi sucks for file transfers!! ). After a little investigation I realized that it was because I didn't enable the sharing on the drives!! Try enabling sharing from properties dialog box of that drive and you should be fine.
I am pretty sure it has got nothing to do with Fat or ntfs thing. As for Fat not able to save larger files, thats true!!
I'm going to try this sharing thing but unfortunately my HDD is full. Mac HDD is also going brimming. Anyway what's the point if it can't save over 4 GB. My HD movies are around 8 GB in size.

rayraven -
Thanks a ton. Would've liked to have HFS but it would be a pain in windows box. Let's see what I can...

By the way, how to delete locked items? The files goes to thrash but refuses to be deleted even if I press option key. Any other way y

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
I'm going to try this sharing thing but unfortunately my HDD is full. Mac HDD is also going brimming. Anyway what's the point if it can't save over 4 GB. My HD movies are around 8 GB in size.

HD movies have made me realize that GBs don't matter, time to switch over to TBs. I burn my HD movies on Dual layer disks, Rs 80/- for each DL Disk, but I think HD movies deserve this royal treatment!!
While enabling sharing on a drive don't forget to check allow users to change the contents of drive ( something like this ). Also when you click apply some activity takes place, like files flowing, you don't have to wait till if finishes, you can cancel that thing and press OK.

Onyx deleted my locked and trashed items!!

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Anyway what's the point if it can't save over 4 GB. My HD movies are around 8 GB in size.

Exactly. FAT is obsolete if you ask me.

rayraven -
Thanks a ton. Would've liked to have HFS but it would be a pain in windows box. Let's see what I can...

Happy to help.
You could do something else, if you truly want to use HFS.
Make a small FAT partition, and copy the HFSExplorer in it.
You can then use it from the drive, to access the HFS partition in Windows.
But, then again, this is a sort-of tedious process to access files every time , and HFSExplorer needs Java, something you guys aren't very comfortable with.

drgrudge

HD movies have made me realize that GBs don't matter, time to switch over to TBs. I burn my HD movies on Dual layer disks, Rs 80/- for each DL Disk, but I think HD movies deserve this royal treatment!!
While enabling sharing on a drive don't forget to check allow users to change the contents of drive ( something like this ). Also when you click apply some activity takes place, like files flowing, you don't have to wait till if finishes, you can cancel that thing and press OK.

Onyx deleted my locked and trashed items!!
Hazel couldn't delete! Gonna try Onyx if there's no other way.

Hmm... copying to HDD is pointless now. I'm going to buy DVDs and then burn. :D

drgrudge

^^
I can understand how to operate the option key.

I did hold down the option key, which right clicking the trash icon and selected the empty thrash. Still it's not able to delete. :(

Hey MacBoys,I'm throwing some questions here.Can you guys tell me any good chat application for iPhone?I installed Apollo from the repos or whatever you call it(installer),works fine but no support for Yahoo and Gmail so useless for me.Mobile Chat ,however , supports Yahoo and Gmail but it isnt's installing and giving some error-'package install error'
Is there iChat for iPhone as there is for Mac OSX??
And ,will anybody help me regarding updating and unlocking my iPhone??
Ayush where are you??
And,What is the cost of a 20" iMac??with 2600 Pro,C2D,500GB HDD?I'm planning to buy one and will surely buy if my dad gets convinced.
We almost bought a MacBook Pro 17" but fugging office guys some how made my dad believe that Windows wont install on a mac and Mac OSX is crap.Bloody hell!!Still he hasn't bought a new lappy.How do i convince my dad that MacBooks are....................AWESOME?

Help would be appreciated guys!

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Think cups, C cup, D cup, E cup ZOMGWTF.

And all this time I was thinking it was exam grades. :D

BTW I want to ask how to make Safari (for Windows) go full screen. Also what is the purpose of the 'Bring All to Front' option?

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
"Bring All to Front" brings all open Safari windows to the… er… front. :p

I was about to ask what a "bust" was… and then I checked the dictionary. :oops:

Mobile Chat ,however , supports Yahoo and Gmail but it isnt's installing and giving some error-'package install error'
Launch Installer and then press and hold the home button for seven seconds, until the Installer quits. Relaunch it and you should be able to install Mobile Chat now.

Is there iChat for iPhone as there is for Mac OSX??
No, not officially. It's coming in June though. You can use meebo.com for now.

And,What is the cost of a 20" iMac??with 2600 Pro,C2D,500GB HDD?I'm planning to buy one and will surely buy if my dad gets convinced.
Around Rs. 65,000. It's a little less than that, actually.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
"Bring All to Front" brings all open Safari windows to the… er… front. :p
:lol:

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer. :p

Also I assume there is no way to make Safari fullscreen.

BTW I'd like to specially thank Goobimama a.k.a. Milind a.k.a. Guruji for bringing the Windows version of Safari to my notice by his blog post. Its an excellent piece of software and I'm completely satisfied with it. I especially like its suave and minimalistic look and the super fast page loading. I'll recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it yet. Even the fuzzy font problem isn't noticeable now. Actually thats only on some forums like ThinkDigit. Everywhere else Safari's font's actually look better than other browser's.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Glad you noticed. :p

Also I assume there is no way to make Safari fullscreen.
Drag the window to the top left edge of the screen and then drag the resize handle on the bottom right corner of the window to the bottom right edge of the screen. There you go. :)

------------

Milind, I want to kill you. Why didn't you tell me about VisualHub earlier? I could've saved about ten frickin' GB if I'd encoded all my TV episodes using it. Arrgh! It's impossible to re-encode 192 episodes now (there are a lot more on the external HDD).

Top Bottom