The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

praka123

left this forum longback
transmission is this much popular among os x users! :shock: In Linux,no body seems interested!most are azureus or deluge etc users

gauravsuneja

macaddict
i want to decrease uplod and increase download rate .so that i can do what i can with the slow net connection. what r he settings?i am using tomato torrent for mac

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
i want to decrease uplod and increase download rate .so that i can do what i can with the slow net connection. what r he settings?i am using tomato torrent for mac
There's nothing much you can do. Just follow these 2 rules:
1. Limit your upload to 75-80% of the BW. For Eg, I've set 5/6 KBps upload limit for my 256k line.
2. Download from Private Trackers.

goobimama -
How to select between the two options of the USB thingy?

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
transmission is this much popular among os x users! :shock: In Linux,no body seems interested!most are azureus or deluge etc users
Obviously. Linux users can never like Mac applications. Unless they have to type in five commands and do all sorts of high-tech wizardry for the simplest of tasks, they just don't find it satisfying.

Transmission is way too easy to use for a Linux user! :p

@gauravsuneja,
Switch to Transmission ASAP. Tomato Torrent is a dead application. :)

goobimama

 Macboy
@Darky: Put it at 0kbps bandwidth for the rest of the period, that is, turtle speed. I'm not sure if LittleSnitch will allow you to schedule something more specific, I can check up on that.

Check out the Tranmission Download page!
Mac: Download (2.3 MB) Requires version 10.4 or later. 10.5 or later is strongly recommended.
Universal Binary

Linux:Check your distribution's package manager (ensure any repositories are up to date)
Download the Source Code and compile it with the instructions on the development page

goobimama

 Macboy
@Dr: I'm not sure how to do that in the HP models. I've used only Nikon and Sony. It's somewhere in the setup menu (in the camera). USB mode or something like that.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
@Darky: Put it at 0kbps bandwidth for the rest of the period, that is, turtle speed. I'm not sure if LittleSnitch will allow you to schedule something more specific, I can check up on that.

Check out the Tranmission Download page!
Mac: Download (2.3 MB) Requires version 10.4 or later. 10.5 or later is strongly recommended.
Universal Binary

Linux:Check your distribution's package manager (ensure any repositories are up to date)
Download the Source Code and compile it with the instructions on the development page
No, need to go thru all that. Transmission and Deluge both are available in the repos. So one just needs to install it via Synaptic or single click on apt url. No need to even download manually. One click will do everything.

Also Mac OS X version of Deluge is available. Its much more feature rich but as easy to use as Transmission. Check it out here: *deluge-torrent.org/downloads.php

drgrudge

^^ WTH is this:
Once Mac Ports is installed, you can then install Deluge by simply:
sudo port selfupdate
sudo port install deluge

I've no clue as what to do with the downloaded thing. Yeah, Mac and Windows users are dumb. Linux is HARD, IMHFO. I need a .exe or .dmg.

goobi -
Hmm... I got my Windows PC doing nothing for a while now. Got to make use of it now. :D

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
Still, you should never give up. Cameras work right out the box on OS X. There should be no reason you have to go through Windows for that. Have you updated your system?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
@Ashwin
Oh I see.... macport. I don't haf much idea about it. Mebbe its like an emulator or something? Can someone try it out and let us know whether it really works?

BTW, on a Linux machine its very simple to install. Head to synaptic (package manager) and tick deluge, click Install. Thats it. Mebbe deluge is not available as a native mac app, hence all the trouble.

Here are dmg disk images of macport: *www.macports.org/install.php

Once this is installed, with xcode and x11 libraries from Mac os x dvd, you can install Aqua or X11 based OSS on Mac.

List of software by category available via macports: *www.macports.org/ports.php

I see a lot of software, from electronics, multimedia, science, mono, emulators et al. Looks interesting :)

Last edited:

drgrudge

^^
You're the ANi man! Looks cool and similar to ATi.

On Topic: Yeah, it's not yet available as a native app for Mac. I'm patiently waiting for uTorrent Mac edition. Till then uTorrent (on Crossover) & Azureus will do. :)

GOOBi -
The "i effect" your nick as well. :p No updated but for the 10.5.1; didn't go for the security update as you said so. Will try with the Digicam and see what happens. My dell used to have this 5-in-1 card reader which is a much easier way to transfer photos.

goobimama

 Macboy
Just check in your system profiler whether your Cam is detected at all (Apple icon > About this mac > More information > USB devices).

As for uTorrent mac edition, I don't think it will ever see the light of day. The last private beta I heard about was somewhere in June. By now there should have at least been a public beta.

I quote one of the comments from torrentfreak
a freak said:
It’s officially dead now. They gave up because uTorrent uses to many strange windows api calls so it cannot be ported withtout a complete rewrite which basically means it will be a totally different, less lightweight, less fast, application

Also: *enjoys.it/2007/07/28/µtorrent-for-osx-its-been-stopped/

(I think I should stop with the proof)

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
No, need to go thru all that. Transmission and Deluge both are available in the repos. So one just needs to install it via Synaptic or single click on apt url. No need to even download manually. One click will do everything.

Also Mac OS X version of Deluge is available. Its much more feature rich but as easy to use as Transmission. Check it out here: *deluge-torrent.org/downloads.php
You're know what, I concur. I think you're right. That does sound easier than even the Mac OS X method. :)

goobimama

 Macboy
Overflow
I remember using Overflow when I first got a mac. Then I started using Quicksilver and it all went away. Long after that I see Jobs introduce Stacks. And the grid stack pretty much did was Overflow did so I thought it was a dead app. But not quite.

*img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/61440ac7fe.png

I tried it out today, and I must say, it is holding out on it's own.

- There's no fancy animation like in the Grid stack so it's faster. In fact, very fast, with almost no delay.
- The icons are pre-cached in so there's no delay there either.
- You can customise the apps, their order, groups and such.
- Adding important folders in there is also a plus.
- Right-click menu for a list of files/folders/apps.
- You can put it on the left side of the dock!

*img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/5e9b28615a.jpg

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
I found this on the net. Thought many might want to use this for some automatic iTunes action. For instance, it will automatically add any music files to the iTunes library (it will copy it if that option is checked within iTunes).

A question though. Transmission 1.0 seems to be storing the incomplete files in the same downloads folder (by default). I wonder how they've managed to keep Time Machine from backing up incomplete stuff. I think one will have to change the directory if this option is to work cause it will add the incomplete file to the library the moment it is created.

1. Copy this script and paste it with in the script editor (can be found in Directory Applications/Applescript/ )

Copy text inside stars
on adding folder items to thisFolder after receiving theseFiles
repeat with thisFile in theseFiles
tell application "iTunes"
copy (add thisFile) to newTrack
-- the "newTrack" variable is a reference to the added track
-- which could be used for further processing in iTunes
end tell
end repeat
end adding folder items to

2. Then go to file save as add itunes.scpt ***save the file in the following directory Library/Scripts/Folder Actions scripts

3. Navigate to the directory where your mp3s are stored I use the default folder on Os X User/Music/Itunes/Itunes Music (replace user with your own username)

4. Right click or ctrl click on Itunes Music and attach a folder action. This is where you choose add itunes.scpt

5. Now after that any folder with mp3's that you add to your itunes music folder should be automatically added into itunes.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
hey goobi cud u post ur desktop - ur dockkinda looks sexy wanna see the full thing with the wally

goobimama

 Macboy
Phew! Thank god this time you didn't make a typo, especially with the word Dock. Cause that would have completely changed the meaning of that sentence :D

Anyway, here's a screeny of my desktop. It's not much actually. The wally is a wallclock from vlad studio, the dock is blue-black-holes.

*img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.aff29fcfcb.jpg

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Phew! Thank god this time you didn't make a typo, especially with the word Dock. Cause that would have completely changed the meaning of that sentence :D

Anyway, here's a screeny of my desktop. It's not much actually. The wally is a wallclock from vlad studio, the dock is blue-black-holes.

*img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.aff29fcfcb.jpg
you seem to be addicted to HD:p

Top Bottom