The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

yash

I draw every day
yes i do. I Also tried migration assistant and here's a screenshot of the window... well, its nothing really, just the empty window... it doesn't show a system I can select to bckup even though the time machine volume is connected. *img299.imageshack.us/img299/4957/picture1ol6.png

sata connector trouble?

no, I am on macbook pro. I have it connected via firewire 800.

Last edited:

yash

I draw every day
yes, i can access them via finder. I can even access them if i click on time machine icon and click "use previous backup disk"

I also took screenshots of the backups in time machine. *img409.imageshack.us/img409/1453/picture2vv5.png

But when I select 'leopard' which is my volume, it asks me to specify a folder for it. *img404.imageshack.us/img404/5778/picture3kw5.png

That's not how its supposed to work!

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
Well here's what I'm getting when I run the Migration assistant > Time Machine Backup >
*img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/a18f33ca76.png

It was the same thing when we tried this at the apple store as well.

Also, for the love of those who don't have a speedy net connection, could you please post Jpegs? Just open in Preview > File Save as > jpeg low quality.

@yash: check out this link. It sort of deals with restoring from a time machine backup. Would you say you followed these steps to begin with?

*gizmodo.com/gadgets/time-machine-h...e-machine+assisted-hard-drive-swap-333319.php

Last edited:

yash

I draw every day
what link?... oh. I don't know why i didn't see it before i replied. LOL. ok, I will upload jpegs from now.

while trying out diff things, I even updated the new install to the latest 10.5.1 and made sure that the name of this computer is same as it was on the time machine backup.

goobimama

 Macboy
Before any of you get excited, these are !Fake!

*farm3.static.flickr.com/2003/2170092898_6774259685_b.jpg

*farm3.static.flickr.com/2358/2170092902_eb04debe73_b.jpg

Just thought I'd post them to get up the macworld fever :p

yash

I draw every day
I went back to the leopard dvd and utilities>restore system from time machine backup..(i did not format the drive. I didn't format the drive from disk utility the first time either! I just did a erase and install.) I am able to see the time machine volume in select backup source window. but in the next dialog that goes select backup, there's nothing! the problem the guy at gizmodo was having was in the select destination dialog because his hdd was new and probably wasn't formatted properly or something.

Another thing which I didn't think would make a difference but tried anyway, used USB cable instead of firewire 800 to connect the external. But still the same result with migration assistant.

did you delete a post?

"In the Mac OS X help menu, I type in "Recovering your system" which
throws up a page where you can specify how to restore your system right
from within OS X. Try that out."

what do u mean OS X help menu? the finder help menu?

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
Heheh. Yeah. You aren't just seeing things. Anyway, that post is irrelevant so I deleted it.

(Even earlier, I added the link a little after posting "check out this link" :) )

As for your problem, I have no idea how to get past it. I'd suggest in these times to just take it to an apple store, if you live close to one.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, you seem to have a knack for it. :p

goobimama said:
As for your problem, I have no idea how to get past it. I'd suggest in these times to just take it to an apple store, if you live close to one.
... or hit the Apple Discussion Forums. :)

yash

I draw every day
tried a couple threads on the apple discussion forums. Waiting for a response. Now, i can access those files on the hard drive. But i have a doubt. should I go on restoring files from the oldest backup to the newest or newest to oldest?

my logic says oldest to newest. Might take really long depending on how many files have changed, but the latest backup folder is only about 30 gigs while I remember it being filled all the way up to 80 gigs or something.

Another damn obstacle! I tried restoring all the folders inside leopard, but I can't replace my current folders because it says osX needs it. Now how do I get those files back?

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
This episode scared me. So I rebooted using the Leopard disc. My Time Machine restore feature seems to work fine. Phew!

goobimama

 Macboy
Font Book: Surprised me!

Today I trashed an application, FontAgent Pro, cause I find that Font Book has turned out to be an amazing tool in Leopard.

*img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.e8036e2b20.jpg

I usually print my own version of fonts but today I was in a hurry and wanted a quick printout of a couple of fonts. FontAgent pro did a horrible job at that. So then I remembered that Font Book 2.0 in Leopard has some print functionality. WTF! Really impressive.

It also supports automatic font activation/deactivation, error checking, resolving duplicate fonts. The only thing sort of lacking is a proper font comparison mode but that's not a big issue for me.

yash

I draw every day
anyone here uses candybar? any idea where the icon database file is saved? I brought back candybar from time machine backup, but it doesn't have all the icons I had added to it.

Top Bottom