The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Phew! Thank god this time you didn't make a typo, especially with the word Dock. Cause that would have completely changed the meaning of that sentence :D
the o and i are next to each other ... either my typing has improved or just go lucky :D

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I curious to know that too.

Macworld is only a week away now. It's time for your predictions, hopes and wishes. Let us start, ladies, gentlemen and Goans. :p

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
The size of the image? What's that got to do with HD and Milind's fascination for it? It only gives away the fact that he owns a monster 20-inch display.

goobimama

 Macboy
I'm trying hard to figure out what exactly apple has in store for Macworld. Apart from the ultraportable multi-touch notebook, I just can't see anything else happening.

I do hope for:
- iPhone 2G. Cause I don't want to buy a 1G iPhone and find out it's been outdated two months later
- A new and updated Macbook Pro with a brand new design that makes the old one, which aayush has got, look like the rear end of the monkey cricketer Symonds.
- A major update to AppleTV, making it open with regard to formats and such. Make it a real product.

What I feel is going to be introduced:
- the ultraportable everyone's talking about
- a mid range mac tower. Maybe iMac minus the display.
- Option of Blu-ray in many mac products
- iPhone SDK preview
- Jessica simpson performing a car wash on stage... :p

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Four things...

... that are definitely happening:

1. New, updated MacBooks;
2. iTunes Store movie rentals;
3. Mention of the iPhone SDK; and
4. Something very surprising that no one predicted.

... that have a very high probability of happening:
1. Ultraportable or Tablet Mac;
2. Mention of Blu-ray;
3. Flash storage and Multi-touch capabilities; and
4. Some mention of India/Asia.

... that might or might not happen:
1. New Mac Pro or MacBook Pros;
2. New displays;
3. New TV; and
4. Steve Jobs saying "One more thing...".

... that definitely won't happen:
1. New iPhone;
2. Dockable Mac;
3. Apple branded external optical drive; and
4. Mid range Mac tower.

I have a strong feeling that we're going to see two new Macs and between the two of them, they'll feature both Multi-touch and flash based storage. The announcements of movie rentals coming soon to the iTunes Store is a given. Jobs will also probably have some news about the iPhone SDK and of course, lots of off-the-charts, record breaking sales figures.

I'm curious though... why do you want to see a headless Mac?

Last edited:

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
1. New, updated MacBooks (aluminium casing)
If that happens, with not much difference in the price, I'm jumping :)

4. Something very surprising that no one predicted.
Ofcourse :D

1. Ultraportable or Tablet Mac (featuring multi-touch, of course);
If this happens, I'm gonna LMAO for Axiotron's Modbook.

3. At least one of the three Mac products mentioned above will have flash storage;
That would be great.

4. Some mention of India/Asia.
Why would you think that ? The store has been down for over 6 months now for "scheduled maintenance" :|

goobimama

 Macboy
I see beta has thought this through, then posed a question, waited for my crappy reply and trumped it over with his super thought out, formatted analysis of Macworld. Nice one beta, nice one.

As for the headless Mac, I don't 'want' to see it. Just have this feeling that we might be forced to see it.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
goobimama said:
I see beta has thought this through, then posed a question, waited for my crappy reply and trumped it over with his super thought out, formatted analysis of Macworld. Nice one beta, nice one.
Certainly seems that way, doesn't it? But appearances can be deceptive. ;)

I typed that post up after reading your reply and it ended up being so well thought out and properly formatted after several edits. It has, however, become so good now that I'm going to post it on Apple Matters. :D

DARK LORD said:
If that happens, with not much difference in the price, I'm jumping
The price will remain the same.

DARK LORD said:
Why would you think that ? The store has been down for over 6 months now for "scheduled maintenance" :|
Yes, but Reliance is opening them iStores and they're going to have to bring the iPhone to India. The iPhone will have an iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store that won't let you buy any music. Does that make any sense? I think he's definitely going to mention at least Asia, if not India. The store is probably being prepared for a big launch with the capability to actually buy stuff from there and is therefore taking so much time. Maybe he'll announce the launch of the Apple Store in several new countries at this year's keynote, India being one of them. Oh, the possibilities... :D

----------------------------------------------------------------

The Apple Store is down

It’s a Tuesday evening and the Apple Store is currently displaying that tiny little sticky that makes us fans go numb with excitement and impatient anticipation. Yes, the store is down, folks. It appears that they’re busy updating it for us. Read more...

[Via MacUser]

Last edited:

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
This Overflow is crashing whenever I launch it. It's the latest version. Anyone had issues with it?

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I'm a little surprised that Milind liked Overflow. Why would anyone launch stuff with the mouse when Spotlight in Leopard is so darned efficient!

@drgrudge,
No thoughts on the Macworld Expo?

drgrudge

We've Spotlight and Quicksilver, but nothing like having icons on Dock and clicking it. I really don't want to have more than 10 items in dock. I love uncluttered desktop environment. That's why I'm a huge fan of Stacks too.

With Overflow, I get the most used Apps on dock and the rest goes in it. Dunno why it's crashing...

Regarding Macworld Expo, I think:-
1. iPhone v.2 ; SDK stuffs
2. Apple TV updates/upgrades (IMO the most ordinary Apple Hardware)
3. A Tablet or a ultra portable Mac. This one got a lot of potential (and less competition) as many would be Business people or Travelers who love to have a portable PC.

goobimama

 Macboy
No problems with overflow crashing. Try and fix disk permissions using disk utility.

As for me using Overflow, well, it is nice to have icons instead of typing them out. Also, Since I use the pen tablet all the time, it's easier to click on something than type it. Actually, it's more of a disadvantage, that is, it is more difficult to type something now than it used to be.

Might I ask, which version you are using? Cause we all know what happened the last time you were using 'the latest' ;)

So, new mac pro's eh!

*images.apple.com/home/2008/images/macpro_20080108.jpg

*www.apple.com/macpro/

Last edited:

drgrudge

It's 2.5.4. How to set the permission in Disk Utility.

Here's the screenshot: (after which it crashes)
*farm3.static.flickr.com/2234/2177514981_6d5c214286.jpg

If you see in the screenshot that it says something about setting permissions in Universal Access but still the same problem.

goobimama

 Macboy
Did you turn on Universal access? It's in System Preferences > Universal access

Anyway, just run a disk permissions repair using Disk Utility just in case something is messed up...

drgrudge

goobi-
It says: "Enable Access to Assistive Decices". Now how do I run a disk permissions repair using Disk Utility

goobimama

 Macboy
Open Disk Utility. Select your Mac HD. Then click on Repair disk permissions in the right side.

As for enabling assistive devices, go to the system preferences > Universal access.

yash

I draw every day
I restarted my laptop this morning, and it would only show me the mouse and blue background. No matter how long I waited. So I decided to try restoring from the time machine backup. I popped in the Leopard dvd and went to utilities, restore from backup. I selected the time machine volume, but the next screen didn't show any backup for me to be able to select! WTF! I decided to erase and install leopard and then transfer settings from old time machine backup. But even after the setup process, when I said To look for time machine backup, it didn't even show the time machine volume, even though it was connected.

Someone get me out of this shithole!

Top Bottom