The LG Optimus One Thread

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Finally Upgraded to Gingerbread! :D

So yesterday I finally did something which was long due. I flashed a custom ROM and said bye to my beloved stock ROM, which was not bad. And I am here to share my experience from a noob point of view for anyone who would still want to upgrade!
Following are the phases of my upgradation...

Denial to upgrade
Yes, I did like the stock ROM. It had nice icons. Nifty camera, which IMO is still better than what most custom ROM offers. FM player was also really good where we could have saved stations. It also had a good licensed navigation app called, NMap. The good thing about the stock Froyo was that it was stable. All the necessary apps were bundled together and everything just worked out of the box.

With all these good things there was possibly no other reason to upgrade to a custom ROM other than to improve battery life and to taste the new cookies launched by Google and to eat them with the sprinkles of chocolate chips being coated by enthusiastic DEVs.

Preparation
I had already rooted my Android with gingerbreak, and custom recovery called TWRP was already flashed. The thing which I did before flashing was to take Nandroid backup, in case anything goes wrong, I would be able to revert back to stock. Well, it didn't pan out like the way I had planned, as you will figure out later.

Shock
So, I downloaded Oxygen ROM (oxygen_popdog123_v1.0.zip) to kick start customizing the OS. I copied it to the card, and then booted into recovery. I flashed the zip file and then rebooted the phone. The phone didn't show the beautiful logo of LG and it was replaced by a static LG logo. Well, I had no problem with that as long as I get to the home screen. But to my dismay even after 15 min, I was not taken to the home screen. Instead was stuck in what I think is referred as boot loop. So I had to pull out battery. I tried to re-flash Oxygen two more times. But not worked!

I was in panic now. And so I thought to get back to the stock ROM after restoring Nandroid. BUT, no my shock restoring the Nandroid backup through TWRP was not working! Flashing was successful, but couldn't boot into stock. Sam gave a recommendation to use AmonRa recovery. I tried to flash Nandroid through AmonRa but this recovery was even unable to restore the Nandroid! I was devastated to know that I may never be able to use stock again. Oh well.. it was no use to mourn then! So I moved on...

Journey
Next ROM which I tried was, ARC (ARC_OS_2.0a.zip). It flashed pretty quickly and I was finally at the home screen. But to my dismay I was greeted with a force close of the launcher which the ROM had used. I tried to get around to it but couldn't do so. It was too obtrusive. I tested that I could receive calls in this mode, but couldn't make calls since I don't had access to dial pad. Now this particular problem could have been solved using ADB tool from a PC. But I just didn't felt like the need to do that, since the ARC ROM was looking like a safe mode equivalent of Windows! Big black fonts. No sharpness of color.

Success
Later I managed to download a third ROM. It was PerfectPeso (PerfectPeso v1.2 - OBB Edition.zip). It flashed successfully on the first try and I was finally at the home screen of the ROM. I took a deep breath. But problems were not over. I was unable to connect with the Google account. And after quite a research, today morning, I was able to solve the problem when I installed Gapps from the web. Now my mobile is synced to the cloud, and there's a lot of synchronizing to do, which it's currently on.

Conclusion
I am finally using Ginger Bread, and despite of frightening experience, it was an unforgettable and nerve wrecking experience! Even though I may not be able to get back to the stock, I am still happy. And I can try to get used to GB now. There are a lot of things which are bugging me in this ROM, but I am saving it to share those sometime later...

Credits
Special Thanks to Sam for helping me keep my patience while I was going through the “torture” ;)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ it was a nice experience for me too. installing custom rom. starting from basic :smile:

one offline :

What is the "minimum" amount of phone memory required for the GB/Android fone to work smoothly ????

memory means? rom or ram? ram: 128Mb rom: 256Mb maybe as X10 mini have same rom & most likely have a few gb rom.

kaz

right here
yes, if you revert back to Android 2.2.2.

bro but i dont think its because of gingerbread
because i am using gingerbread for few months
n this battery backup problem started few days ago..
probably after i partitioned my sd card n installed links2sd
planning to flash stock v20c back again..
n remove the sd card partition

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
bro but i dont think its because of gingerbread
because i am using gingerbread for few months
n this battery backup problem started few days ago..
probably after i partitioned my sd card n installed links2sd
planning to flash stock v20c back again..
n remove the sd card partition

before doing that, install spare parts and calibrate your battery once.

kaz

right here
it'll show what app is consuming how much battery. everything in detailed graph.

ooo is that an app :) ?
let me search

it'll show what app is consuming how much battery. everything in detailed graph.

that worked..even i doubt the same app
i switched to lg home launcher instead of go last nyt n there was a remarkable change in battery backup

after installing spare parts i got to know that go sms pro is running for the most time..
so m using the default messaging app now

but i think that all these r bcoz of links2sd app..
gonna remove that n delete the partition today n it will then clear if sd card partition is the main reason or not ?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
so LG launcher was the culprit. also if you have google maps installed, it can drain battery quite fast. also install fast reboot. it stops all processes. necessary process start again while useless apps shouldn't.

no idea about link2sd. wait for others to clear your doubts regrading this.

@AndroidFan, this is for you
*i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g367/kaushiksam/Screenshot_2012-02-07-21-27-26.png
went to a place where network was really poor. still network showed no red spot, neither it dropped. usually the bar drops to 1-2. consider upgrading baseband. this really helps. or you may wait for Android 4.0.4 to be released. heard it improves network reception.

kaz

right here
so LG launcher was the culprit. also if you have google maps installed, it can drain battery quite fast. also install fast reboot. it stops all processes. necessary process start again while useless apps shouldn't.

no idea about link2sd. wait for others to clear your doubts regrading this.

thanks bro :)
n which rom are you using?

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
@AndroidFan, this is for you
*i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g367/kaushiksam/Screenshot_2012-02-07-21-27-26.png
went to a place where network was really poor. still network showed no red spot, neither it dropped. usually the bar drops to 1-2. consider upgrading baseband. this really helps. or you may wait for Android 4.0.4 to be released. heard it improves network reception.

This is super-awesome bro... Upgrading baseband is a priority for me now...

This is the thread -- [HOWTO] Flashing baseband (radio) via LGMDP.exe - xda-developers

Should I flash the baseband first, or install new Baseband CM7 first?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
first install latest nightly build. then flash new baseband. though the opposite is valid also.

BTW tried Google Chrome Beta on my O1. FC as soon as i open it. supports only ICS.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
first install latest nightly build. then flash new baseband. though the opposite is valid also.

BTW tried Google Chrome Beta on my O1. FC as soon as i open it. supports only ICS.

Have just flashed N2 ROM (CM7) based on new baseband...

Phone boots fine... No signal...

Flashing New Baseband now...

EDIT: 2:25 AM, successfully flashed new baseband... Cell towers being detected... Can make phone calls...

Cheers! :D

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Have just flashed N2 ROM (CM7) based on new baseband...

Phone boots fine... No signal...

Flashing New Baseband now...

EDIT: 2:25 AM, successfully flashed new baseband... Cell towers being detected... Can make phone calls...

Cheers! :D

for new baseband i have not tested anything other than CM9. deleted all old baseband rom & kernels.

nice to know your mobile successfully passed though the death zone. welcome to new baseband club ;-)

now the waiting part starts. will new baseband really make a difference.

kaz

right here
why do we need to change the baseband....

@sam u said that its already the new baseband on v20c

is there any bug in cm9 ????

what is nv2 backup?
how can we boot in emergency mode ???

Neo

^^ LG had provided 2 basebands for our Optimus One . (don't know why) And now There are some ROMs for the old baseband and some for the new one. we need to change baseband to get data and signal work on the ROM.

CM9 has many bugs.

Top Bottom