The LG Optimus One Thread

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
LOL yeah... I learned it the hard way...
OR.. "Hard-reset" way... :rofl:

Now I have to find ways to completely remove dependencies on the phone memory. One of the thing would include, finding a messaging app, that stores messages on Card, or on Cloud.
Dont forget to share if you find one ;)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Sure Nipun! That goes without saying! ;)

Btw, I am feeling like O1 got a reincarnation too, along with me on TDF!! Double :rofl:

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
LOL yeah... I learned it the hard way...
OR.. "Hard-reset" way... :rofl:

Now I have to find ways to completely remove dependencies on the phone memory. One of the thing would include, finding a messaging app, that stores messages on Card, or on Cloud.

All my contacts are synced to Gmail, so I never lose them.

Images are stored on SD Card, so are safe...

For messages, I use a free app called "SMS Backup+". It backs up all the messages to Gmail under label SMS.

Cheers!

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
For messages, I use a free app called "SMS Backup+". It backs up all the messages to Gmail under label SMS.

Cheers!

Installed SMS Backup+ RIGHT AWAY!! Thanks dude! :bananana:

(I should have installed it before.)

Edit: It backs up Call logs too, pretty incredible! :shock:
:D

One strange thing happening right now is that Every app which I had downloaded from Market is currently being downloaded.... ALL AT ONCE!
Yeah! :lol:

Ok, I had got that wrong. It does NOT automatically starts to install every app that was installed before. (For which I am grateful).
The phenomenon I previously observed was the installation of "updates" of already installed app.

Thought to make it clear. :)

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
I think nobody read my post above. I say it again. Is anybody using market enabler?

I have Market enabler on my phone... Might have used it once or twice to download apps available only for the US. But don't remember which one...

IMO, nowadays, most apps and games are available for India too... So, its not really useful anymore...

judelaw99

Right off the assembly line
i am in uk, i bought new lg optimus one p500 from prepaymania.co.uk
i update my phone to android 2.3.3 with lg pc suite
phone run properly but oi manager is not in new version so how can i uninstall android 2.3.3 and install android 2.3

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Ok, I had got that wrong. It does NOT automatically starts to install every app that was installed before. (For which I am grateful).
The phenomenon I previously observed was the installation of "updates" of already installed app.

Thought to make it clear. :)

i think to let apps get downloaded by its own you need to install a software that keep tracks of what app you have.

i am in uk, i bought new lg optimus one p500 from prepaymania.co.uk
i update my phone to android 2.3.3 with lg pc suite
phone run properly but oi manager is not in new version so how can i uninstall android 2.3.3 and install android 2.3

download from market: OI File Manager. if market is not accessible, try from here: crocko download

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
i think to let apps get downloaded by its own you need to install a software that keep tracks of what app you have.

Since their is a limit to the internal memory of the phone, and which is very low, its good that apps are not getting downloaded automatically. That's not a problem since market DOES shows the list of apps which I had downloaded before, and with a click can be reinstalled.

Though I hope, market allow me to remove an app from is web interface, just like it allows for installation of the same remotely. Their are many apps which I want to remove, but can only be done by installing and then uninstalling from phone itself.

X-jo

Broken In
which is the best CM 7.2.0 ROM,
IcsLunarPro V2.7 based CM 7.2.0-RC0 A7
or
CyanogenMod 7.2.0-RC0-OptimusOne-KANG [.32][.35] ?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
After waiting for more than a month now, I am ready to give my phone a performance boost which he deserves. (Ya, my O1 is like a good friend now.. always helps me, when I need! :D)

To do my research I tried to read the two threads: Review thread, and this one. Since I didn’t wanted to ask same questions which have been cleared. But hardly reached Page 16, when I realized that there were hell lot pages to cover and not enough time. This thread have grown too large in a short time, thanks to the Android enthusiasts here! :)

Following is a post which I think summarizes the procedure to root for me (pun intended). Please suggest if its adequate:

Z4root is available in the Android Market. Just install it and then hit root. Should take about a minute or two and then automatically restart (may even take 5 mins...). Try it a couple of times...

You should have a new app called SuperUser installed now. That confirms you are rooted. Somehow this did not work but it works in other android phones.

Another is a PC software ([APP]SuperOneClick v1.5.5 (Root, Unroot, Enable Non-Market App, Get UNLOCK code) - xda-developers) called SuperOneClick. Install it and then simply hit root. You have to enable USB debugging mode before rooting the phone.
This software seems buggy and does not quite say it is finished (wait for a couple of minutes). But check the phone and SuperUser should be installed... If you see that icon then you can simply pull out the usb plug and then restart your phone.

Now you are good to go. Apps to install after rooting... Root Explorer and Titanium Backup (Must have). And you can delete all the crap (Bollywoodji :grin:)

Rooting is not really a must for Froyo IMO... You've already got most of the good features pre-installed (wifi tethering for eg)... Installing custom ROMs are a must though (Watch out the XDA forum :D)

And do install SWYPE... It is definitely the best keyboard for this mobile

A pretty good guide to root:
How to Root LG Optimus One & remove unwanted apps | AndroidOS.in

I have made a list of all the questions which arouse in my mind while reading the thread. My heartiest apologies if I am asking some noob questions again, but its just that I want to clear the queries right from the root. After all, its the matter of my precious O1!

Some (few :oops:) Important Questions:

Q1: Can we revert the rooting, to claim warranty again, in case it has to go for RMA?

Q2: Can the 3 button reset feature be used to restore LG’s stock ROM if ever I want to revert from any custom ROM or will it work in any case installing custom ROM goes wrong?

Q3: Are launchers for O1 and custom ROM, mutualy exclusive? Means, that can we install any launcher over any ROM, or does each ROM comes bundles with its specific launcher?

Q4: Why is hardware acceleration, always being advised to be disabled? If hardware acceleration refers to the use of GPU, then wouldn’t disabling it fails the whole concept of having Adreno!

Q5:
try the latest build of andy GB rc2, you will never go back to froyo. I am running it like a charm with a2sd darktremor. After installing 150+ apps, phone memory is still 190mb+ :grin:

PS : FM radio (And it might never work in GB), USB tether doesn't work. For USB tether you can use third party apps :)

Is it correct that FM won’t work in GB? Cause then installing GB will be out of question for me!

Some Questions and Probable answers from me: (Corrections highly recommened)
Q6: @Sam: You had said that N Map is a paid app, comes from around Rs. 500. So will after rooting and installing custom ROM, I will loose this precious app. (I like the app very much).
A: After my little hard-reset accident I came to know that my apps are tied with my google account, so even if I install custom ROM, the app won’t get loose

Q7: What was the dust problem in O1.
A: What have I found out is that O1 suffered from an issue where dirt used to enter inside the phone and accumulate below the screen, mostly right at the centre (most annoying!).
But now the problem is resolved with newer models, and new models don’t have this issue.

Q8: Why does keeping finger on screen while neocore runs in the background affects the score? As seen in this vid: LG P500 NOVA + Neocore - YouTube
A: It was a software glitch, which have been rectified with an update to the firmware.

Miscellaneous Questions: (Pls answer if anyone can)
Q9: P500 does not support Flash, so are YT videos which gets played with the Youtube, plays in HTML5?

Q10: If the phone boasts of 3.15 mp camera (on GSM Arena), why in the back it’s written, just 3.0 ? :shock:

Q11: Is Class 4 card sufficient of O1? Will Class 10 could be of any advantage over Class 4 or 6 in O1?

Q12: Is Cortex A8 – 700 Mhz Processor better than O1’s 600 MHz Qualcomm with Adreno 200 GPU? (An offtopic question to compare O1 with Ubislate 7+) :D

Bonus Q: Where can I find this wallpaper which made me fall in love with this phone, in the first place? :p
*st2.gsmarena.com/vv/pics/lg/LG-OPTIMUS-One_01.jpg

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Q1: Can we revert the rooting, to claim warranty again, in case it has to go for RMA?

YES.

Q2: Can the 3 button reset feature be used to restore LG’s stock ROM if ever I want to revert from any custom ROM or will it work in any case installing custom ROM goes wrong?

NO. it'll take you to custom recovery. you can do 2 things: backup LG ROM using custom recovery. later you can restore it. its known as Nandroid backup. secondly, you can flash stock LG ROM using KDZ updater but its a high risk tool. many (& i mean maaaaaaaaaaany) have bricked their mobile using this piece of crap. do it if absolutely no option is left.

Q3: Are launchers for O1 and custom ROM, mutualy exclusive? Means, that can we install any launcher over any ROM, or does each ROM comes bundles with its specific launcher?

ROM comes with their own launcher & app. you can install any launcher over it. you'll have 2 or more launchers then. set one as default & you are good to go. going back to old launcher is easy too.

Q4: Why is hardware acceleration, always being advised to be disabled? If hardware acceleration refers to the use of GPU, then wouldn’t disabling it fails the whole concept of having Adreno!

rendering of the menu system & UI using the GPU. as its hardware accelerated hence takes lot more power. the GPU can be used for games & watching videos only. else even websites will start using the GPU & battery backup will get cut in half. last used in Android 2.2 ROM.

Q5:Is it correct that FM won’t work in GB? Cause then installing GB will be out of question for me!

who said that? Oxygen ROM have some FM problem which most likely was sorted out. else install some other radio from market :p

Some Questions and Probable answers from me: (Corrections highly recommened)
Q6: @Sam: You had said that N Map is a paid app, comes from around Rs. 500. So will after rooting and installing custom ROM, I will loose this precious app. (I like the app very much).
A: After my little hard-reset accident I came to know that my apps are tied with my google account, so even if I install custom ROM, the app won’t get loose

yes you'll loose them. your apps are linked to google account but for current ROM. change rom & most likely everything will get erased. you can try 1 trick (don't blame me if you break your mobile :p ). root, install titanium backup, backup that N-Map. save the titaniumbackup folder in PC. install custom rom, install titanium backup, restore folder to memory card & try to restore. app may fail to respond or may through FC (force close).

Q7: What was the dust problem in O1.
A: What have I found out is that O1 suffered from an issue where dirt used to enter inside the phone and accumulate below the screen, mostly right at the centre (most annoying!).
But now the problem is resolved with newer models, and new models don’t have this issue.

yes. i have this problem. 1 single dust particle but visible :(
fixed in newer models & old models can be taken to service center where they'll fix it. i don't trust service center guys to open up my mobile. so didn't bother to take it.

Q8: Why does keeping finger on screen while neocore runs in the background affects the score? As seen in this vid: LG P500 NOVA + Neocore - YouTube
A: It was a software glitch, which have been rectified with an update to the firmware.

forget Neocore. take a game. CPU+GPU renders the game & make it playable. now you swipe your finger on the screen. CPU need to check for extra inputs at the screen decreasing performance. something like this happens. modded kernel fixes this almost perfectly.

Miscellaneous Questions: (Pls answer if anyone can)
Q9: P500 does not support Flash, so are YT videos which gets played with the Youtube, plays in HTML5?

Miscellaneous Answer: Adobe Flash Player 10.3 on ARMv6 :smile:

Q10: If the phone boasts of 3.15 mp camera (on GSM Arena), why in the back it’s written, just 3.0 ? :shock:

3.0MP looks clean, maybe ;-)

Q11: Is Class 4 card sufficient of O1? Will Class 10 could be of any advantage over Class 4 or 6 in O1?

Class4 is enough. there will be definite advantage but not worth the pricetag of Class10 cards.

Q12: Is Cortex A8 – 700 Mhz Processor better than O1’s 600 MHz Qualcomm with Adreno 200 GPU? (An offtopic question to compare O1 with Ubislate 7+) :D

Is Intel 2nd gen Core i*** series better than 1st gen Intel Core i***? new architecture. but old GPU architecture. GPU is modified a bit & hence may run at higher clock or maybe with more cores.

Bonus Q: Where can I find this wallpaper which made me fall in love with this phone, in the first place? :p
*st2.gsmarena.com/vv/pics/lg/LG-OPTIMUS-One_01.jpg

will search & post the link soon :smile:

Wow!This little phone has such a huge fan following!!
Amazing!!

yup. a true DEV's mobile but not made by Google. Check this list: REPOSITORY OF ROMS & TWEAKS. more than 70 roms & many more tweaks (not shown in the post)

red dragon

Master troll
rendering of the menu system & UI using the GPU. as its hardware accelerated hence takes lot more power. the GPU can be used for games & watching videos only. else even websites will start using the GPU & battery backup will get cut in half. last used in Android 2.2 ROM.

:
No sir!It is the other way around...heavy flash based websites needs gpu acceleration,heard of hw acceleration of ics?

Number of ROMs does not mean anything,all are based on 2 sources...stock lg or AOSP and thousands of their derivatives(and photoshop skills)
The real challange for a dev is making a kernel.

With a badly cooked ROM can give bootloops at worst,but a bad kernel can really brick a device.

I have not used optimus one,but I can guess that the disable gpu advice is given,because lg did not release the gpu drivers for the devs.

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Thanks Sam. Your replies were near instantaneous! :shock:

Will post another round of post (with fewer questions) after shortlisting and thoroughly examining your replies. :|

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
No sir!It is the other way around...heavy flash based websites needs gpu acceleration,heard of hw acceleration of ics?

well yes. and our mobile mayn't get ICS cause 3D acceleration is not possible due to missing driver.

Number of ROMs does not mean anything,all are based on 2 sources...stock lg or AOSP and thousands of their derivatives(and photoshop skills)
The real challange for a dev is making a kernel.

some quality roms are there. there was a time when this mobile saw extreme kernel cooking but now its all cooled down. most are really stable & improved battery life but the weak processor can't do anything better.

With a badly cooked ROM can give bootloops at worst,but a bad kernel can really brick a device.

thanks. didn't know that.

I have not used optimus one,but I can guess that the disable gpu advice is given,because lg did not release the gpu drivers for the devs.

yup. DEVs asked qualcomm for the drivers & Qualcomm asked them to contact LG. LG straightforward rejected.

Thanks Sam. Your replies were near instantaneous! :shock:

Will post another round of post (with fewer questions) after shortlisting and thoroughly examining your replies. :|

not instantaneous. late by 1hr :p searching for the wallpaper in the meantime. or if you have that wallpaper in your mobile, you can extract it for later use.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Our beloved phone will see a new world in 2012..!!

Check [ROM][07JAN] CyanogenMod 7.2.0-RC0-OptimusOne-KANG [.32][.35][BothBasebands] - xda-developers

Top Bottom