the Intel LGA 1155 motherboard thread

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Let me correct AcceleratorX's words

Uh, let me clear this up a bit. Intel designs only the BIOS/UEFI and the general layout of the motherboard (ports, slots, VRM). The manufacturing as well as the choice of components are left to Foxconn within reasonable expectations of quality and discounts for using Intel chips wherever possible (e.g. using Intel's own ethernet chip).

Foxconn and LOTTES (there's more- and these are 2 of the 3, maybe 4, who make processor sockets) also manufacturers of connectors and sockets and these are bought by nearly all motherboard makers to fit into their boards. So Pegatron manufactures ASRock and some Asus boards (not anymore though, newer Asus boards from August will be made by ECS) and designs ASRock boards and also selects the components to be used themselves (or based on what Asus tells them). Only connectors and sockets are bought from Foxconn.

In my opinion after general analysis I think ASRock, Gigabyte, MSI and Asus all offer comparable, if not better value than Intel boards for the same price range. Intel's extreme series boards are good but for a value board you are probably better off getting an ASRock, MSI or Biostar because they offer more features (e.g. solid capacitors, more ports), better reliability (better VRMs) and ability for overclocking (Intel's non-extreme boards are simply no good for overclocking or even tweaking of any kind. You better believe it).

( dunno about this part) The Intel DH67 is a good product for the price. You can also try for Foxconn's Z75 series (Z75M-S and Z75A-S, should be available at same or lower prices from Compuage Infocom).

Done. If ASRock, Gigabyte, MSI and Asus make comparable boards, then why do of them claim that they have digital VRM on certain model of the boards, including on the newer one like Z77 when its actually nor Digital VRM? And one of them don't even design their own bios/UEFI.

Cheers.

Last edited:

WILDLEGHORN

Journeyman
Guys can you suggest me any good OC'ing mobo for core i5 2500k having these min features:
1 LAN port, 1 pci-ex x16 slot, 2 usb 2.0 ports & 4-8 GB of DDR3 memory support. Not at all planning to crossfire in future so 1 gfx card slot is enough.

Features I don't need/won't use include:
Usb 3.0 ports, pci-ex 3.0, &/or excessive unnecessary ports that I don't know about.

Other extra ports are fine but probably won't be used since I'll only mainly do gaming, watch movies & download stuff :) The problem is I need this mobo around Rs. 5-7k & it should be a good reliable mobo as well. So are there any good ones out there in that Rs. 5-7k price range?

the_conqueror

Ambassador of Buzz
OCing won't prove much helpful when gaming at 1080p. GPU will play the major part. At 5k-7k budget, no z77 board is available AFAIK, and even IF you are able to find one, then it won't be a good one. Better get a locked processor and a H67 board and save a few bucks.

WILDLEGHORN

Journeyman
OCing won't prove much helpful when gaming at 1080p. GPU will play the major part. At 5k-7k budget, no z77 board is available AFAIK, and even IF you are able to find one, then it won't be a good one. Better get a locked processor and a H67 board and save a few bucks.
Ok! What's the cheapest one that I can get for OC'ing core i5 2500k with those min features that I listed above??

the_conqueror

Ambassador of Buzz
Biosta TZ68K+ for around 7.5k is the cheapest option. Even though it has got good reviews, i personally do not recommend it.
BTW, if you are planning to OC then you'll need a good aftermarket cooler like Cooler master hyper 212 evo. Add another 2k for that.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
errr....
:facepalm:

care to elaborate?

MSI's VRM components are simply not rated to the same standard as ASRock, Asus, Biostar or other good brands. You'll find a lot of threads about it on the net where MSI boards VRM caught fire or failed (across many platforms, not just 1155(. MSI's solution to those issues was to limit the power handling to a safe limit so the tweaking is somewhat limited except for the highest end motherboards. For example a lot of midrange MSI motherboards have VCore capped to around 1.35V and don't allow you to tweak offset modes.

A good Gigabyte, Asus or ASRock board will shut down the motherboard when a dangerous situation occurs w.r.t the VRM temperatures. MSIs are known to simply catch fire instead. It's not that big a deal however since most of us aren't extreme overclockers but that's a fact right there.

And you elaborate too please. ASRock and Biostar provide great OC ability within their price range. Nearly all the reviews show it. In fact as far as Z68 was concerned there was little reason to get an Asus because other brands offered so many features for the same price! And if you are not OCing, you are buying a budget board and they are still winners there because of good features at a good price.

@The Sorcerer: How much difference do you think a Digital VRM makes? You will find not much. Theoretically you can just call any VRM digital because the output has to be a signal level that goes to the processor in digital form ;) {AFAIK Gigabyte doesn't make false claims about VRM and MSI doesn't use Digital VRM much anyway}

As for comparisons, see this quote:

Analog is slightly faster adapting to voltage changes but worse at fine tuning. Digital offers the best user controls and fine regulation. New tech vs old tech. While the old tech can certainly get the job done the new tech is doing it better with less phases.

It doesn't matter that much when you have 8 phases or more anyway within the VRM circuitry. In fact Intel has commented several times that 4+1 phase is more than enough and more than 8 phases is overkill for nearly any motherboard and Intel doesn't use digital VRM everywhere either. Design matters!

let's face it - if you're purely talking textbook based featuring ASRock and Biostar probably won't make the cut of an Asus or Gigabyte but they are simply the best for price-to-performance ratio right now, even compared to Intel whose only benchmark is that of reliability. I've stated several times what you lose when you go for an ASRock or Biostar: PCB thickness, layers of copper, maybe a few heatsinks. But you still get high quality and reliability. And it's good enough when you don't have deep pockets. If you do, you wouldn't look at anything other than Asus and Gigabyte anyway ;)

Last edited:

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
I am not saying it makes a difference. You're the one who said "In my opinion after general analysis I think ASRock, Gigabyte, MSI and Asus all offer comparable, if not better value than Intel boards for the same price range."

But what makes a difference is maximum switching frequency- dual mode method or as a doubler- in both cases, doesn't matter. That's why some boards are meant for overclock don't overclock that well. Some companies put good enough PWMs for CPU whereas use some crap for VCCSA, VTT and for DRAM. Everyone makes it differently for different models with different maximum switching frequency- even MOSFETs- low-side and high side configuration. That's all the more reason it makes more sense to test the entire board with all the slots filled up- including the I/O ports, OC the rig and stress test it. That's the way to know how good your board really is. Not everyone makes the board the same way. Some use more than 2-4 PCIE 3.0 and 2.0, some don't, Intel doesn't make a design- not even a reference design. They probably might have some reference design and give it to foxconn to make boards on behalf of them, but that- a maybe- and even if it is Intel makes pretty good boards for a stock.

And I wasn't talking about Gigabyte. Keep on guessing which company I am referring to :p.

You're the one who nees to check the facts properly. Problem with MSI is that their lower board isn't good at all, but some of their mid-to-high end is good but unfortunately for them there are better boards- and its not Biostar, not even close- ironic since MSI makes good graphic cards.

Biostar has a thing to degrade quality of newer batch productions. You're lot better off buying an intel counterpart over Biostar and such boards.

Bios/UEFI are designed by the manufacturers of the board themselves. Couple of companies- not Tier 1 for sure...not really Tier 2- don't make their own UEFI/bios. They have contracts with other manufacturers to make their bioses for their boards. These companies are not How to use PCIe lanes circuitry designs depends on the company themselves. Spacing between the slots, around the processors, ATX type- decided by them. Intel gives them the chipset and an instructional manual, rest the RnD guys of the motherboard take care of it.

And not all enclosed capacitors are solid capacitors and not all of them have the same resistance. Same goes for MOSFETs, Phase inductors and Driver ICs. Same goes for the quality of the PCB, the printing methodology of the PCB. Even the plastic quality differs in slots- even if the manufacturer is the same.

Last edited:

WILDLEGHORN

Journeyman
^^ Yes I'd like to know the same. How's that board? It's pretty cheap comparatively @ Rs. 7,200. Will it be suitable for my needs that I mentioned above? Will it be good for OC'ing i5 2500k & R7870 ?? Just need only one x16 lane for a single gfx card, won't CF ever in future. Flipkart got it for a bit high @ Rs. 10176 & only online shop I can buy from is FK :(

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
so it's not even suitable for mild OC then - say ~4 Ghz ?? overall TZ68K+ is still a good option at ~7.5k if one can get one or else Biostar TZ75B loks also good for it's price @ $ 100.

saswat23

Human Spambot
Compared here:
Gigabyte GA-Z77P-D3 Motherboard vs ASUS P8Z77-M Motherboard vs Biostar TZ68K+ Motherboard: Compare Motherboards: Flipkart.com

The P8Z77-M is the best option for its price.

WILDLEGHORN

Journeyman
OK guys how is theITwares.com for online shopping? I'm thinking of getting every single component from there as it's cheapest even compared with flipkart. Once payment & everything is cleared will they ship to my doorstep? How is the package delivered? Using couriers? I'm not really sure how online shopping works & currently on the fence about it right now :(

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
OK guys how is theITwares.com for online shopping? I'm thinking of getting every single component from there as it's cheapest even compared with flipkart. Once payment & everything is cleared will they ship to my doorstep? How is the package delivered? Using couriers? I'm not really sure how online shopping works & currently on the fence about it right now :(

They're fine.

Top Bottom