the Intel LGA 1155 motherboard thread

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ I think you can but better would be if you look for B75 motherboards - these can be found around ~4.5k ( for eg. Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H @ ~4.35k )

great_manish

Journeyman
do you mean the gigabyte one??
which shop ??

yes the gigabyte one, from starcomp in ganesh chandra avenue. Starcomp Infotech Pvt. Ltd.

i think you can bargain a little more.

the shop which i trust most in chandni is arihant infotech. rates are more or less the same in evry shop.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ yep, like USB posrts ;-)

BTW, check this out :

ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard | Hardware Secrets

AcceleratorX

Youngling
Very good board. Again, spending >15K on a asrock board doesn't make any sense at all.

ASRock's high end boards are very much comparable to the best ones from Asus and Gigabyte IMO. HardOCP, who has always been hard on ASRock boards due to perceived issues with product quality was pretty impressed by their X79 board, for example.

BTW ASRock now has in their UEFI the "No-K OC function" which gives an instant overclock to a non-K processor and also allows some tweakability (i.e. OC headroom).

Those of you who own an ASRock Z77 board should update their BIOS to the latest version to avail of this functionality.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ never heard of anything like No-K OC function though i know the non K cpus can be OCed to some extent but this non K OC things really wroks a little better than manually OCing a non K cpu - found something here :

Non-K overclocking! ASRock released NO-K OC overclocking technology | Pc-Union

don't count on the English though but it's understandable ;-)

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
ASRock's high end boards are very much comparable to the best ones from Asus and Gigabyte IMO.
Now it comes down to personal choice. Asrock boards are cheap, and if anyone already made up his/her mind about buying the cheapest motherboard availible in the motherboard regardless of its quality, he or she is most welcome to buy boards from Asrock, biostar, murcury, ECS, sapphire(available in india?) etc etc.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
Now it comes down to personal choice. Asrock boards are cheap, and if anyone already made up his/her mind about buying the cheapest motherboard availible in the motherboard regardless of its quality, he or she is most welcome to buy boards from Asrock, biostar, murcury, ECS, sapphire(available in india?) etc etc.

The difference between ASRock and Biostar/ECS/Sapphire/Mercury etc. is that ASRock actually actively targets the enthusiast segment. See how many enthusiast boards you find from ECS or Biostar - very few!
ASRock features a value line *and* an enthusiast line. The quality and features *do* scale. Some of their Fatality boards are very much comparable to the ROG series from Asus, for example. For this reason, in a high end board costing 15K+ there is little difference which brand you are buying (Anyway you won't find a lot from ECS or Biostar or some such brand at that price). When HardOCP, who has consistently bashed ASRock's value boards for the thin PCB and perceived quality issues (even when the rest of the internet was giving those boards awards) praises their higher end board in terms of quality as well as performance, you should know there is a difference there.
Value range is a different beast - there you look for a balance between features, performance and reliability. But paying 15K+? You'll be hard pressed to find a difference. Even ECS produces some decent boards at that price range......

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
the term value needs to be redefined...
also...boasting of digital VRM while using a analog controller is kinda pushing the envelop in unfair trade treatises...

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Sapphire has few very good motherboards ( they don't makes lots of mobos like other manufacturers ) for LGA 1155 socket and you can't compare the quality of Sapphire motherboards with Mercury ( recent mobos ) :

*www.kitguru.net/components/motherboard/zardon/sapphire-pure-platinum-z77k-motherboard-review/
Sapphire Pure Platinum Z77K Review - Overclockers Club
Sapphire PURE Platinum Z77/K | Pure Overclock

*www.kitguru.net/components/motherboard/zardon/sapphire-pure-platinum-z68-motherboard-review/
Sapphire Pure Platinum Z68 review | Expert Reviews

but you are right about the availability .. though Sapphire gfx cards are readily available same can't be said about motherboards.

digitfan

Right Off the Assembly Line
Ok guys this is what i understood.

If you want overclocking and usb 3.0 then go for i5 2500k or above with a z77 mobo If you dont want overclocking then go for any non k processor with same speed with a compatible mobo.

For eg:performance wise an i5 2500k @3.3ghz and an i5 2400 @ 3.3ghz will be almost same?(ignore Quick Sync & igp)

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok guys this is what i understood.

If you want overclocking and usb 3.0 then go for i5 2500k or above with a z77 mobo If you dont want overclocking then go for any non k processor with same speed with a compatible mobo.

For eg:performance wise an i5 2500k @3.3ghz and an i5 2400 @ 3.3ghz will be almost same?(ignore Quick Sync & igp)
What you've understood is completely right.

Yes, processing wise they both are going to be exactly same. Slight difference here and there.

Top Bottom