the Intel LGA 1155 motherboard thread

amruth kiran

I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them
instead of the z77 or h67 ,why not the h61??
the asrock mobo's has great features.

amruth kiran

okay d6bmg and topgear. got your point. thanks. i was trying to save a few bucks for a good gpu

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ I though you were going to use the Intel HD gfx ;-)

anyway, there's not much ground breaking difference between H61 and H67 ( performance wise ) - so saving money for a gpu always gets more priority as this will boost up the performance really well and you can go with the ASRock H61M/U3S3.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
My point: A big NO NO for ASRock H61M/U3S3.

It is never a good idea to compensate the quality & reliability of motherboard only to buy a good graphics card.

amruth kiran

so d6bmg, i should take the ol' reliable intel mobo.??

but i thought asrock was quite good..? any mother board benchmarkers??

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
My point: A big NO NO for ASRock H61M/U3S3.

It is never a good idea to compensate the quality & reliability of motherboard only to buy a good graphics card.

so d6bmg, i should take the ol' reliable intel mobo.??

but i thought asrock was quite good..? any mother board benchmarkers??

EVEn Intel is better than Asrock..

Foxconn makes Intel motherboards and Asrock makes their own motherboards ( correct me if I'm wrong ) - so which one is better considering ~2.5-5k mobos ?

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Foxconn makes Intel motherboards and Asrock makes their own motherboards ( correct me if I'm wrong ) - so which one is better considering ~2.5-5k mobos ?

All the Asus/Asrock boards are also made of Foxcon parts.
For example, if you see the name on the steel of the LAN from inside, you will see 'foxcon' there.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ I thought Asrock makes their own mobos and some of the Asus mobos too ( though Asus is going for another manufacturer ) - is it possible that only the lan port is made by foxconn ? coz on many Intel ( original and 3rd party ) mobos I've seen the cpu socket protector cover has foxconn written on it.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
All the Asus/Asrock boards are also made of Foxcon parts.

Every manufacturer uses I/O connectors, DIMM slots and PCie slots (maybe even those USB/Firewire headers too) and sockets Foxconn or LOTTES, even Gigabyte has it too. No1 makes all that on their own. If you're looking at it this way, Low RDS mosfets, Phase inductors, solid capacitors and all are obviously made by someone else irrespective of the brand. They have to source those connectors from somewhere, ya know!

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
If i am not horribly wrong only the QC is done by the companies and they choose whatever they seem fit to use in their product and that makes all the difference...
(correct me if i am wrong)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ The Sorcerer - thanks for your reply.

BTW, I think the thread name should be changed to Intel LGA 1155 motherboard thread so it can represent both the Sandy and Ivy Bridge cpus.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
Uh, let me clear this up a bit. Intel designs only the BIOS/UEFI and the general layout of the motherboard (ports, slots, VRM). The manufacturing as well as the choice of components are left to Foxconn within reasonable expectations of quality and discounts for using Intel chips wherever possible (e.g. using Intel's own ethernet chip).

Foxconn and LOTES are also manufacturers of connectors and sockets and these are bought by nearly all motherboard makers to fit into their boards. So Pegatron manufactures ASRock and some Asus boards (not anymore though, newer Asus boards from August will be made by ECS) and designs ASRock boards and also selects the components to be used themselves (or based on what Asus tells them). Only connectors and sockets are bought from Foxconn.

In my opinion after general analysis I think ASRock, Gigabyte, MSI and Asus all offer comparable, if not better value than Intel boards for the same price range. Intel's extreme series boards are good but for a value board you are probably better off getting an ASRock, MSI or Biostar because they offer more features (e.g. solid capacitors, more ports), better reliability (better VRMs) and ability for overclocking (Intel's non-extreme boards are simply no good for overclocking or even tweaking of any kind. You better believe it).

The Intel DH67 is a good product for the price. You can also try for Foxconn's Z75 series (Z75M-S and Z75A-S, should be available at same or lower prices from Compuage Infocom).

Last edited:

WILDLEGHORN

Journeyman
Wow this cleared up my confusions with chipsets & their relation to motherboards :)

BTW what mobo would you suggest under a budget of 10K Rupees with a P67 (or Z68) chipset for a Core i5 2500K + R7850?? Not planning on Crossfire but will OC the processor. USB 3.0, on-board GPU & excess slots, etc are not necessary.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
BTW what mobo would you suggest under a budget of 10K Rupees with a P67 (or Z68) chipset for a Core i5 2500K + R7850?? Not planning on Crossfire but will OC the processor. USB 3.0, on-board GPU & excess slots, etc are not necessary.

ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 @Rs.10000

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ actually that's a little over 10k - under 10k WILDLEGHORN can get ASRock Z77 Pro4 but ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 is a better choice.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
If you don't need crossfire or extra slots you can go for the ASRock Z77 Pro4. It is feature rich with extra SATA ports and USB 3.0. However, if you can settle for a Z68 chipset you also have the barebones Biostar TZ68K+ and the MSI Z68A-G45 B3 and G3 (B3 - 8.5K, G3 - 9.5K from SMC). Both MSI boards have two PCIe x16 slots so you can do Crossfire if you wish. B3 version doesn't have PCIe 3.0 support.

For a good overclock I'd recommend a Biostar or ASRock board, MSI has limited certain tweak options in their BIOS because their VRM isn't rated upto the same standards as ASRock and Biostar. Given the price difference between Pro4 and Extreme4, it's probably better you just get the Extreme4 since it has a better VRM (8+1 phase), more features (i.e. Crossfire x8/x8 vs. x8/x4, better audio chip). The Pro4 does have one advantage in that it has 8 rear panel USB ports compared to the Extreme4 which has 6.

Last edited:
Top Bottom