the HP dv6-6017tx, 6121tx, 6140tx and dv6-6165tx thread

rahul3221

Broken In
Prashant: i am getting a 6121tx for 55k here in lucknow....
i wanna ask you the price of the care pack which includes- accidental damage coverage and 2 years extended warranty on my laptop.....with the 1 yr onsite warranty
should i go for this care pack????
here they are offering it for Rs.3800 within 9 days of buy.....after that Rs.4500

sarathsnair

Journeyman
i do not get unity in ubuntu 11.04 in my 6121tx. how can solve this problem ? whenever i login to ubuntu, it says their is no hardware support for unity so it switches to classical desktop.

Last edited:

rahul3221

Broken In
You can't get discount on Carepack. I say you should take the carepack except if you plan to dump this laptop in 1-2 years.

thanks for the advice mate.....and i am not planning to dump this laptop...
hoping to extract great performance for next 2.5-3 yrs
i suppose i should take the care pack then...
the dealer from jumbo electronics here in a mall @lucknow said that if u dont take the care pack in 9 days u will have to pay 700 more....which according to me was BS....as on HP's website its stated you can buy care pack from 90days of d purchase....
with this kinda service from HP......its a downhill for dell xps.... :)

P.S. Getting no goodies @54.5K

rajatseth03

Right off the assembly line
i am not able to play games on full screen e.g fifa10 counterstrike nfs all runs at small screen cutting out some portion from the width plz suggest any solution to this also i am able to play games like black opps n medal of hounour on full screen plz help
@prashant

arsenalfan001

Arsenal Fan
the dealer from jumbo electronics here in a mall @lucknow said that if u dont take the care pack in 9 days u will have to pay 700 more....which according to me was BS.

Correct. Within 9 days 3800 else 4500.

P.S. Getting no goodies @54.5K
IMHO, no point getting those useless goodies (read el cheapo mouse and headphones). Rather bargain. Ask them to keep goodies and give some more discount.

ron_devon

Broken In
Just stating to people who intend to buy the 6121tx in the near future. In no case go beyond Rs 54k to buy this laptop. I bought it for 53.5k late august from Kolkata and what I hear is it is available now for even less in places.

Goodies are no good if you pay for them and not for the actual price of the laptop.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
i am not able to play games on full screen e.g fifa10 counterstrike nfs all runs at small screen cutting out some portion from the width plz suggest any solution to this also i am able to play games like black opps n medal of hounour on full screen plz help
@prashant

In Counterstike : Source Go to Options > Video. Set Aspect Ratio as 16:9 and resolution as 1366*768 :wink:

Some old NFS editions dont support Widescreen resolution. There is a small UNIWS utility. Google for it along with your edition of game Ex. nfs undercover uniws and you'll find appropriate instructions for enabling widescreen :))

Sorry I've never played Fifa:neutral:

ron_devon

Broken In
@prashant

Yeah it goes wrong with fifa old versions too.
Well what you could do is change the desktop's native resolution to say 1024x768 or as required (sure the desktop does look a bit odd then) and then try playing the game. The aspect ratio shouldnt be a problem then.

Revert back when you're done.

Well, I have a query being, how do i get to work the media keys on the laptop keyboard with VLC (and set that default) instead of WMP?

Last edited:

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Hi

I'm also look to purchase this lappy, any one knows where can I get best deal in East Delhi or Noida?

cheers
HP world in GIP or Jumbo.

i do not get unity in ubuntu 11.04 in my 6121tx. how can solve this problem ? whenever i login to ubuntu, it says their is no hardware support for unity so it switches to classical desktop.
Laptops with switchable graphics have this problem. Some people have got it to work though.

Yeah it goes wrong with fifa old versions too.
Well what you could do is change the desktop's native resolution to say 1024x768 or as required (sure the desktop does look a bit odd then) and then try playing the game. The aspect ratio shouldnt be a problem then.

Revert back when you're done.

Well, I have a query being, how do i get to work the media keys on the laptop keyboard with VLC (and set that default) instead of WMP?
You can set a custom resolution by creating a ini file in the main FIFA folder. Google for the exact details.

A "trainer" like patch also exists for NFS.

chirag_marwaha

Right off the assembly line
Hey Guys! I've been following this awesome thread passively for quiet some time & now that I've finalized upon 6121tx just wanted some info in advance....

1. I suppose not, but would the BIOS Update VOID the Warranty if it goes wrong or maybe even when it goes right. Just needed a little clarification on this one.
2. I have a confusion between CCC & Graphics Drivers. Will I have to update both or any one of them. Also does the CCC package drivers as well?
3. Besides BIOS Update, Graphics stuff & uninstalling Beats any other similar enhancement suggested?
4. Any benchmarking, framerate, partitioning, temperature etc monitoring and tweaking softwares such as GPUZ, Fraps, MSI Afterburner suggested... Actually I forgot the names... :-?
5. Is it possible to copy Recovery DVDs to another set of DVDs? I want to keep another set as backup.
6. I have not been into OCing so could you tell me what are those 2 values(eg 850/950) mean. I guess they are related to memory or Graphics processor clock speed & why undervolt while OCing?
7. Some games such as Age of Empires 3 won't run on 64-bit, so is there a way out to run them directly without using XP Mode, VMWare etc.
8. I heard that 60 days free AV would be provided. I guess that will be Norton again. Has that thing started working? or uninstalling at a minimum. :evil:

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
You do not even know what you are talking about!

yes. My friend has a macbook air and it reaches 84 degrees on heavy load. I know macbook air is not made for intensive tasks. And apple products are one of the best when it comes to heat management. Point is that new line of HP is pretty good at heat management too (although not upto Apple's level compared over the same HW). I did not mean to troll Apple. Just wanted to emphasize that HP is pretty good too :wink:

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
@prongs
*lh6.googleusercontent.com/-LOPUZa_7A8A/ToFIbonWmfI/AAAAAAAAAjo/GBW7jtc4zsY/s640/27092011155.jpg
*lh3.googleusercontent.com/-77rIR4RHB4U/ToFIf6DmrmI/AAAAAAAAAjw/lJFdvLYCAc4/s640/27092011154.jpg
*lh3.googleusercontent.com/-gMp4WFZZgWs/ToFIb9cGEdI/AAAAAAAAAjs/3Yv4QgHSKAk/s640/27092011153.jpg
*lh6.googleusercontent.com/-cJKV8UQkiv4/ToFIjo3KqmI/AAAAAAAAAj0/NVB383SBkk8/s640/27092011152.jpg

Hey Guys! I've been following this awesome thread passively for quiet some time & now that I've finalized upon 6121tx just wanted some info in advance....

1. I suppose not, but would the BIOS Update VOID the Warranty if it goes wrong or maybe even when it goes right. Just needed a little clarification on this one.

No. It wont void your warranty. Usually bios update does not go wrong

2. I have a confusion between CCC & Graphics Drivers. Will I have to update both or any one of them. Also does the CCC package drivers as well?
CCC contains gfx drivers also
3. Besides BIOS Update, Graphics stuff & uninstalling Beats any other similar enhancement suggested?
Uninstalling wireless assistant and HP display utility speeds up startup
4. Any benchmarking, framerate, partitioning, temperature etc monitoring and tweaking softwares such as GPUZ, Fraps, MSI Afterburner suggested... Actually I forgot the names... :-?

Temperature monitoring : CoreTemp - Set overheat protection at 85 degrees
Partition : Easeus Partition manager
Tmonitor : lightweigt and better alternative to Intel Turbo boost monitor
5. Is it possible to copy Recovery DVDs to another set of DVDs? I want to keep another set as backup.
Not tried. Should be possible
6. I have not been into OCing so could you tell me what are those 2 values(eg 850/950) mean. I guess they are related to memory or Graphics processor clock speed & why undervolt while OCing?
Ocing is not suggested unless you are sure why and what you are doing. Better read a full guide.
7. Some games such as Age of Empires 3 won't run on 64-bit, so is there a way out to run them directly without using XP Mode, VMWare etc.
I think they run. Not sure. AOE3 automatically runs in compatability mode in win7 and disables Aero effect.
8. I heard that 60 days free AV would be provided. I guess that will be Norton again. Has that thing started working? or uninstalling at a minimum. :evil:
I am a norton fanboy :mrgreen:

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
Sorry for the late reply, had gone home for the weekend.

@luckystar - where did u buy your laptop from??

I bought it for 53k from SP Road, Bangalore. Got a crappy mouse and a keyboard cover with it.

@marvelousprashant -

Oi ! you mean that its coming from the side and not through the screen, right ?? :)
@aniket - sorry buddy! My bad. And anyway i wasn't talking about your pics. Your one as well as prashants ok. I just made a mistake. Now i'm sure these dv6's are fine. BUT WHAT ABOUT LUCKY STARS???
@ishu - i love these dv4's and dv6's as much as you do. Just trying to make sure before buying.

I usually download stuff @ night before going to sleep. So, with the lights switched off, and the screen turning off after 5 minutes, the light bleed becomes visible. Since its an LED, I think it should not harm the screen in anyway. But, the HP's QA team really missed out on this one. They should have covered the LED with a barrier or reflector of some sort, so that it doesn't shine through the opposite way.

If you are planning on opening the screen, then instead of turning of the logo light, I would suggest covering it with an aluminium foil.

To all who bought this laptop, What kind of carry bag did you get?
Those guys were giving me a duplicate bag, and when I shouted, they gave me an original HP one. But that one too looks like some cheapo roadside stuff with an HP logo. It has got a single opening to keep the laptop and nothing else :(

Top Bottom