the HP dv6-6017tx, 6121tx, 6140tx and dv6-6165tx thread

aniket.cain

Padawan
hey found out the reason gpuz is showing 100mhz/80 in 6121. This card is designed to save power. so it uses less clock speeds for small applications that are not system intensive. for eg aero on win 7. it needs only 100mhz to show aero theme in win 7.thus it can save power. If u run a game,the graphics driver automatically increase the clock speeds so that the game runs better.

u can see this if u start gpuz while running crysis or cod etc... u can disable this dynamic clocking thing by using any overclocking software. u dont need to overclock....but just apply standard settings. now ur gpu will always run at full speed and power.

Even if you run a taxing game in the background, and set GPU-Z to record the maximum clock speeds, it still won't show more than 216MHz for the memory speed, though it will record 725MHz for the GPU clock.

Now, for the overclocking thing, I have read it, but it does not work with the switchable graphics of these HP laptops. These software require the AMD GPU to be set as primary, and it can't be done using CCC. There is no way to completely disable the onboard graphics using any software. None that I have heard of.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Even if you run a taxing game in the background, and set GPU-Z to record the maximum clock speeds, it still won't show more than 216MHz for the memory speed, though it will record 725MHz for the GPU clock.

Now, for the overclocking thing, I have read it, but it does not work with the switchable graphics of these HP laptops. These software require the AMD GPU to be set as primary, and it can't be done using CCC. There is no way to completely disable the onboard graphics using any software. None that I have heard of.

check forum.notebookcheck.com. Guys over there have successfully managed to overclock

cyanide911

Broken In
I have a few questions.

Is this laptop available with a Full HD Screen in India?
How much does +3 years warranty cost?
How much does onsite repairs warranty cost?

*HP dv6t, dv7t Select Edition / Quad Edition (6XXX series) Owners Lounge* - Page 129 my bad those guys have overclocked but dont mention how. You'll have to ask them

Actually, the owner's lounge does not have much info about overclocking. The gaming specific page however has quite a lot, but this was from before the automatic switchable graphics problem. They used Sapphire Trixx or MSI Afterburner.

Gaming - dv6tqe/dv7tqe

aniket.cain

Padawan
None of them work now after the implementation of dynamic switching.
The problem about the GPU clock has been faced by many owners of HP DV6 all around the globe. Many people have claimed that this really hampers the performance of the system and setting the clock right improves the performance by a significant margin. But alas it can't be done now with the crappy dynamic switching.
It seems all HP laptops can never be trusted to work flawlessly.

Shashank_PEC

Right off the assembly line
Just bought a 6121tx.Can someone tell me how to manually switch GPUs and how to find which GPU is active ??
While playing FIFA 11 I am getting a constant frame rate 60 on both medium and high settings.Is this normal ?

Thanks

aSd

Unfortunately, no. I was almost about to buy it, when I kinda changed my mind about going to college this year (for health reasons, and because I thought Sikkim Manipal is not a great college, no matter what rank I scored on their entrance exam). I'll prepare for next year, and if I get a good college in my city, I'll get a desktop, otherwise i'll get a laptop. The only reason I know almost everything about the processors and GPUs and stuff is because I'm one of those freaks who does a whole lot of research, so I can tell you this with absolute certainty.

Ha ha . . .me too
But, I kinda fell behind. . .
Anyway, Where are you from?
I'm from Lucknow.

nskaries

After doing a bit of research I purchased hp dv-4 3016tx laptop. This laptop has plenty of features like the latest sandy bridge processor and 1 gb ddr5 hd 6750 graphics card. One day while surfing the net I came across an article about the sata bug in the latest intel series 6 chipsets. Unfortunately my laptop has that series 6 chipset. Here is the linkto that article
*www.intel.com/support/chipset.../CS-032521.htm
Intel has issued a recall order for all chipsets of this series with stepping b2. I used various methods to determine my chipset stepping and found out that my stepping was b2. I immediately informed hp customer support and there they directed me to this link
*h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ctID=c02712015
In that link it is clearly mentioned that if the fourth to sixth digits of your serial numer are greater than or equal to 108 then your laptop does not have the faulty chipset that is the chipset stepping is b3. It also says that because of some bios issue third party software show the chipset stepping as b2 instead of b3.

I used several methods to determine the chipset stepping of my laptop and they all show my stepping as b2. So I am in a dellema now. The only proof that hp is giving me is the serial number of my laptop and that proof dosen't sound good enough to me. All third party software show that my chipset stepping is b2. The olny certain way of identifying the chipset stepping is to look for the s-spec no. The link provides the details
*www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/specupdate/324646.pdf
How can I find out the s-spec no of my chipset?
Do I need to open my laptop for that?
Will that void my warrenty?
Can a hp service center check my chipsets s-spec no?
Why isn't hp fixing this bios issue thats responsible for third party software showing the chipset stepping as b2?
Does any one else have a new intel series 6 laptop from hp?

Last edited:

siddharth290

Broken In
Hi guys,
Recently purchased HP DV6 6017tx laptop and i am ecstatic about it..It runs all the games I throw at it.So far i ran Crysis Warhead, Dawn of War 2K, League of Legends, NFS hot pursuit 2 and deadspace 2.They all run fluently at MAX settings :D .

This laptop is truly amazing and at this resolution(1366x768) the ATI 6770m GPU is truly future proof.

shashankm

I reign hell..
Finalizing Dell XPS i5 version this week over HP DV6-6017TX
Reasons for choosing Dell:
  1. I can get Dell cheaper, thanks to corporate discount!
  2. I am also getting it with 1+3 yrs complete warranty setup. Mean lesser hairfall in case of any up-downs!
  3. the over all setup is still going to make me poorer by 55K but I think it shall do!
  4. Infamous HP customer support stories. I asked HP CS guy why doesn't provide extended support to DV6 *snap*.
  5. I asked HP store will he be interested in giving some discount etc. He was baffled to hear the word discount and started screaming but said politely, that he doesn't give discount to companies which buy in bulk, then why me?
  6. On other hand, Dell guy told me that first finalize the configuration, mail it to him. Though he didn't told much, but hinted for a discount in range of 8-10%!
Things I will miss with Dell XPS!
  1. The gaming bazooka, 6770 itself!
  2. Premiere few elite clubs of i7 owners.
  3. extra 140GB of storage, though thats not an issue!
  4. Targus backpack ;)
Don't know why, heart says Dell(..mind says Hell!), Mind says HP (....heart says himachal pradesh? :grin: )

EDIT: I have to admit, this is one of the most close encounters of laptops! I have experienced them both, both felt great, great sound though Dell spwans over HP in bass department. Spearheaded competetion! Wished I could've purchase both! Joys of being a Central government employee ;)

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Laptops are bound to have close competitions because the configs are bit limited.
The pricing makes the fight INTENSE!

Ha ha . . .me too
But, I kinda fell behind. . .
Anyway, Where are you from?
I'm from Lucknow.

I'm from Kolkata. Competition's intense in this country, isn't it? Same case with laptops.

Finalizing Dell XPS i5 version this week over HP DV6-6017TX
Reasons for choosing Dell:
  1. I can get Dell cheaper, thanks to corporate discount!
  2. I am also getting it with 1+3 yrs complete warranty setup. Mean lesser hairfall in case of any up-downs!
  3. the over all setup is still going to make me poorer by 55K but I think it shall do!
  4. Infamous HP customer support stories. I asked HP CS guy why doesn't provide extended support to DV6 *snap*.
  5. I asked HP store will he be interested in giving some discount etc. He was baffled to hear the word discount and started screaming but said politely, that he doesn't give discount to companies which buy in bulk, then why me?
  6. On other hand, Dell guy told me that first finalize the configuration, mail it to him. Though he didn't told much, but hinted for a discount in range of 8-10%!
Things I will miss with Dell XPS!
  1. The gaming bazooka, 6770 itself!
  2. Premiere few elite clubs of i7 owners.
  3. extra 140GB of storage, though thats not an issue!
  4. Targus backpack ;)
Don't know why, heart says Dell(..mind says Hell!), Mind says HP (....heart says himachal pradesh? :grin: )

EDIT: I have to admit, this is one of the most close encounters of laptops! I have experienced them both, both felt great, great sound though Dell spwans over HP in bass department. Spearheaded competetion! Wished I could've purchase both! Joys of being a Central government employee ;)

Seems to me that the only reason you purchased the XPS 15 was because of the discount you're getting and the extended warranty (correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't it 3 years of warranty in all, not 3+1? Because 4 years on a laptop seems a little more than Dell can handle). Also, without the discount the scales tip largely on the 6017/6121tx's favour- the 6770M is the best laptop graphics any one of us has seen on a sub 60K laptop. It actually beats the Nvidia 555M, simply because it uses DDR5 memory, while the 555M (used by dell in their xps 17 and alienware 14) uses DDR3.

shashankm

I reign hell..
Yes thats an extended warranty of 3 years all in one!
but tell me, in the worst case scenario, if HP or Dell(w/o warranty) dies on me, what would I do with a dead horse?
And discounts are logical for any sane person out there, ain't they? ;)
And I do mentioned what I will missing in buying Dell XPS 15!
So, I guess that clears the air.

amirtaraj

Broken In
hi friends......i was planning to get HP dv6 6017tx but while researching on net found about dv6 6121tx and apart from 2GB VRAM and 640GB HDD is there any physical change coz i found somewhere that 6017 as bronze and 6121 as black so does the 6121 have beats audio and same metal case......?

Yes thats an extended warranty of 3 years all in one!
but tell me, in the worst case scenario, if HP or Dell(w/o warranty) dies on me, what would I do with a dead horse?
And discounts are logical for any sane person out there, ain't they? ;)
And I do mentioned what I will missing in buying Dell XPS 15!
So, I guess that clears the air.

Hey, relax. I'm not criticizing your decision, just laying it out. It is very much possible your laptop will die out in 3 years, in fact the warranty will definitely be used in the 3 year period. It may be to replace the display, or change the CPU fan. I'm not saying you made the wrong choice. Honestly, Dell's service (the extended warranty. The service centre of HP in kolkata atleast is better than Dell) is the only reason it sells more than HP. If HP introduced a 3 year warranty, no one would bother with Dell, unless they had a bitter experience with HP in the past.

hi friends......i was planning to get HP dv6 6017tx but while researching on net found about dv6 6121tx and apart from 2GB VRAM and 640GB HDD is there any physical change coz i found somewhere that 6017 as bronze and 6121 as black so does the 6121 have beats audio and same metal case......?

No difference between the two except for the HDD size, and the increased VRAM. The colour is deep chocolate brown, almost like the colour of coffee beans (check the pics posted on the beginning pages of this thread). I believe the 6017tx is no longer available at most stores, at least not at stores i checked.

Top Bottom