the HP dv6-6017tx, 6121tx, 6140tx and dv6-6165tx thread

aSd

Right off the assembly line
Hello friends,
I have been following this thread and the reason being that i have planned to buy a laptop i was fixated with the 6017tx but as you must be aware it is unavailable, so the next logical choice becomes 6121tx but it is really biting me to pay an extra 2-3k bucks for relatively unimportant upgradations when i was already stretching my budget for the 6017tx.

However, I came across HP dv4 3016tx

HP Pavilion dv4-3016tx Entertainment Notebook PC (LQ389PA) specifications - HP Home & Home Office products

It is really cheap (about 43k) and houses a nice GPU ATI HD 6750M

but again it is an i5-2410M , 14.0" , and the HD is 5400rpm.
I need the laptop for heavy gaming. . .
so what do you guys think. . .

And, thanks in advance. . .

Hello friends,
I have been following this thread and the reason being that i have planned to buy a laptop i was fixated with the 6017tx but as you must be aware it is unavailable, so the next logical choice becomes 6121tx but it is really biting me to pay an extra 2-3k bucks for relatively unimportant upgradations when i was already stretching my budget for the 6017tx.

HP Pavilion dv4-3016tx Entertainment Notebook PC (LQ389PA) specifications - HP Home & Home Office products

The 3016tx is an amazing laptop for 43k.

The 6750M is a very good graphics card. Actually the 6770M is nothing but a 6750M which has been overclocked. The performance difference between them is about 15%.

The 14" screen and the low weight (2.2kgs) will make it more mobile.

I'm sure a quad core CPU will help in multithreaded applications (like 3D modelling software) but for games, a dual core is sufficient. Maybe in games like crysis 2 and all, a quad core might help, but not in most games. Spending 12K just on an i7 over an i5, seems a little overkill. The only things you will find missing are the Beats audio (which is better than the altec lansing on the 3016tx), the i7 and the overclocked graphics (you can do that too by using MSI Afterburner or Sapphire Trixx).

And why are people worrying about HDD RPMs? That does not determine how fast your read/write speeds will be? You wont even realise whether the HDD you're using is a 5400rpm or a 7200rpm. The read/write speed is almost the same. In fact, people say the 7200 is actually noisier. If you want HDD speed, install a SSD drive and just see your machine fly. Although with the reliability issues and steep prices as of now, I don't recommend it.

All in all, this is one great mid-range laptop. You won't regret it.

I have a question to the people who own the 6017/6121tx. Do we HAVE TO download drivers provided by HP only? Or do we directly go to the AMD radeon site and download them?

apurvcn

Broken In
hi,
how about the dv4 3016 tx laptop. it has Radeon HD 6750m which gives similar framerates like 6770m(notebookcheck.net)..

Initially i too was planning to buy that ..
But this lap is not in production ryt now...no one has it...not even customer care had heard of such a model...Dont know why.
I tried contacting dealers as well..

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
I have a question to the people who own the 6017/6121tx. Do we HAVE TO download drivers provided by HP only? Or do we directly go to the AMD radeon site and download them?

I have done it both ways and had no problems

Hello friends,

You need to see if it ha heating issues. Only a user will be able to tell that. HP is notorious for that. No need to worry however if specs mention HP Coolsense technology

naveen.raptor

Broken In
I downloaded Turbo boost monitor from many souces and tried them.now its working fine.

Is it turned on in BIOS?

And are you sure you have a processor among these-

The Intel support page-
Processors — Intel® Turbo Boost Technology frequently asked questions

now its working.can u plz upload t monitor.the ones i download gives processor not supported error.

download T monitor. It uses much less RAM

Ruthra kumar

Broken In
Initially i too was planning to buy that ..
But this lap is not in production ryt now...no one has it...not even customer care had heard of such a model...Dont know why.
I tried contacting dealers as well..

I dont know whether dv6 3016tx is in production or not but it's still available in many shops..even HP showrooms are having it..

aSd

The 3016tx is an amazing laptop for 43k.

The 6750M is a very good graphics card. Actually the 6770M is nothing but a 6750M which has been overclocked. The performance difference between them is about 15%.

The 14" screen and the low weight (2.2kgs) will make it more mobile.

I'm sure a quad core CPU will help in multithreaded applications (like 3D modelling software) but for games, a dual core is sufficient. Maybe in games like crysis 2 and all, a quad core might help, but not in most games. Spending 12K just on an i7 over an i5, seems a little overkill. The only things you will find missing are the Beats audio (which is better than the altec lansing on the 3016tx), the i7 and the overclocked graphics (you can do that too by using MSI Afterburner or Sapphire Trixx).

And why are people worrying about HDD RPMs? That does not determine how fast your read/write speeds will be? You wont even realise whether the HDD you're using is a 5400rpm or a 7200rpm. The read/write speed is almost the same. In fact, people say the 7200 is actually noisier. If you want HDD speed, install a SSD drive and just see your machine fly. Although with the reliability issues and steep prices as of now, I don't recommend it.

All in all, this is one great mid-range laptop. You won't regret it.

Thanks for the insight,but you see im planning on using this laptop for a long time 4 to 5 years atleast so wont a dual core be pretty old by then and be little supported ?
Im ready to buy the 6121tx,if offers more value over time.
And Im not quite satisfied with a 14" .Also, is the battery backup significantly higher for a 14" than a 15.6" ?

And the overclocking part. . .how harmful can it be ,if at all ?

I have done it both ways and had no problems

You need to see if it ha heating issues. Only a user will be able to tell that. HP is notorious for that. No need to worry however if specs mention HP Coolsense technology

I've observed that overheating is more related to laptop handling than make. . .for example a basic laptop with clogged vent,dusty fans can get hotter than a new high performance laptop. . .your laptops might be operating at reasonable temperatures nowadays but overtime they will develop heating problems as will any other laptop. . .unless,of course you are very meticulous
about cleaning and servicing. . .but. . .HP is notorious for it. . .AGREE !!!

Thanks for the insight,but you see im planning on using this laptop for a long time 4 to 5 years atleast so wont a dual core be pretty old by then and be little supported ?
Im ready to buy the 6121tx,if offers more value over time.
And Im not quite satisfied with a 14" .Also, is the battery backup significantly higher for a 14" than a 15.6" ?

And the overclocking part. . .how harmful can it be ,if at all ?

I've observed that overheating is more related to laptop handling than make. . .for example a basic laptop with clogged vent,dusty fans can get hotter than a new high performance laptop. . .your laptops might be operating at reasonable temperatures nowadays but overtime they will develop heating problems as will any other laptop. . .unless,of course you are very meticulous
about cleaning and servicing. . .but. . .HP is notorious for it. . .AGREE !!!

First of all, any laptop you buy today will not last more than 2 years if you're a serious gamer. Sure, 2 years ago the 8500 would run all games (except crysis) smoothly at high settings, but now the 8500 can't run a game at low settings and at a res of 1024x768 without stuttering. The 6770M is a powerful card, but in today's world where every 6 months, CPUs jump forward by 40% and every year better graphics cards come out. Future proofing is really not possible. Maybe, after two years, you will be able to run games in low settings, after that you will have to decrease your resolution. Also, what will most likely become outdated will be your graphics, not your CPU. A machine having a nice i5 2410M and one having an i7 2630qm (say they have the same graphics) will show about a 10% increase in games, which is seriously not worth it if you plan on primarily gaming. But, for any CPU intensive task, the i7 will be miles ahead. Games are usually not CPU intensive, and considering that they are mostly ported for that outdated rubbish called an xbox 360, you will do just fine for about 1.5 to 2 years. The i7 will have extra flaunt value, maybe about 10-15% increase in game FPS (for eg, from 30 FPS to 34FPS) and a massive increase for multi-threaded apps. When games will require quad core CPUs, then their graphics requirements will far surpass the 6770M. In the end, you will have to sell your lappy and buy a new one. Only question is, do you really want an i7? Because the future proofing you will get in games (about 6 months more than the i5) is not worth the extra dough. If you want a laptop that lasts for 4-5 years, then gaming should not be your priority. If it is, then you will have to sell your laptop in 2-2.5 years, and get a new one.

Overclocking will cause more heat. But a 10% overclock IMHO is perfectly safe. Anything over 20% can reduce the longevity of your computer.

And HP is notorious for their laptops overheating. It is true that dirt in the heat sinks and fans will hamper their efficiency, but HP laptops (maybe they are cursed, I don't know) tend to overheat. Many of my friends have returned HP laptops because they get so overheated. But if the 3016tx has HP CoolSense, which controls the laptop cooling rather efficiently, and if you get a good laptop cooler, you won't face any such problem.

AhsanTheBest

Broken In
hey found out the reason gpuz is showing 100mhz/80 in 6121. This card is designed to save power. so it uses less clock speeds for small applications that are not system intensive. for eg aero on win 7. it needs only 100mhz to show aero theme in win 7.thus it can save power. If u run a game,the graphics driver automatically increase the clock speeds so that the game runs better.

u can see this if u start gpuz while running crysis or cod etc... u can disable this dynamic clocking thing by using any overclocking software. u dont need to overclock....but just apply standard settings. now ur gpu will always run at full speed and power.

sachin99

Broken In
hey found out the reason gpuz is showing 100mhz/80 in 6121. This card is designed to save power. so it uses less clock speeds for small applications that are not system intensive. for eg aero on win 7. it needs only 100mhz to show aero theme in win 7.thus it can save power. If u run a game,the graphics driver automatically increase the clock speeds so that the game runs better.

u can see this if u start gpuz while running crysis or cod etc... u can disable this dynamic clocking thing by using any overclocking software. u dont need to overclock....but just apply standard settings. now ur gpu will always run at full speed and power.

Hey bro. Please provide the direct downloadable link of any good overclocking software.. Please..

aSd

First of all, any laptop you buy today will not last more than 2 years if you're a serious gamer. Sure, 2 years ago the 8500 would run all games (except crysis) smoothly at high settings, but now the 8500 can't run a game at low settings and at a res of 1024x768 without stuttering. The 6770M is a powerful card, but in today's world where every 6 months, CPUs jump forward by 40% and every year better graphics cards come out. Future proofing is really not possible. Maybe, after two years, you will be able to run games in low settings, after that you will have to decrease your resolution. Also, what will most likely become outdated will be your graphics, not your CPU. A machine having a nice i5 2410M and one having an i7 2630qm (say they have the same graphics) will show about a 10% increase in games, which is seriously not worth it if you plan on primarily gaming. But, for any CPU intensive task, the i7 will be miles ahead. Games are usually not CPU intensive, and considering that they are mostly ported for that outdated rubbish called an xbox 360, you will do just fine for about 1.5 to 2 years. The i7 will have extra flaunt value, maybe about 10-15% increase in game FPS (for eg, from 30 FPS to 34FPS) and a massive increase for multi-threaded apps. When games will require quad core CPUs, then their graphics requirements will far surpass the 6770M. In the end, you will have to sell your lappy and buy a new one. Only question is, do you really want an i7? Because the future proofing you will get in games (about 6 months more than the i5) is not worth the extra dough. If you want a laptop that lasts for 4-5 years, then gaming should not be your priority. If it is, then you will have to sell your laptop in 2-2.5 years, and get a new one.

Overclocking will cause more heat. But a 10% overclock IMHO is perfectly safe. Anything over 20% can reduce the longevity of your computer.

And HP is notorious for their laptops overheating. It is true that dirt in the heat sinks and fans will hamper their efficiency, but HP laptops (maybe they are cursed, I don't know) tend to overheat. Many of my friends have returned HP laptops because they get so overheated. But if the 3016tx has HP CoolSense, which controls the laptop cooling rather efficiently, and if you get a good laptop cooler, you won't face any such problem.

ENLIGHTENED !!!
So, you too own a 6017tx ???

ENLIGHTENED !!!
So, you too own a 6017tx ???

Unfortunately, no. I was almost about to buy it, when I kinda changed my mind about going to college this year (for health reasons, and because I thought Sikkim Manipal is not a great college, no matter what rank I scored on their entrance exam). I'll prepare for next year, and if I get a good college in my city, I'll get a desktop, otherwise i'll get a laptop. The only reason I know almost everything about the processors and GPUs and stuff is because I'm one of those freaks who does a whole lot of research, so I can tell you this with absolute certainty.

Top Bottom