the HP dv6-6017tx, 6121tx, 6140tx and dv6-6165tx thread

sachin99

Broken In
@marvelousprashant
So is it good to buy 6121tx.? i am asking this because i haven't Found any reviews about 6121 in net..and the dealer is sayin that
hp has discontinued production of
6017 but when i contacted hp cc they are saying that its production not yet stopped.. so What to do.?

From what I have read on other forums, the 61xx series is just a minor update of the 60xx series. The 6121tx which as you say contains the 2gb graphics card and 640gb HDD will probably have the newer Catalyst drivers (11.5b hotfix which lacks the manual switch option). Other than that, the 2gb VRAM is just a gimmick, and is certainly not required on the 1366x768 screen. None the less, for 56K its still a good buy. Also, if you find an HP seller having the 6017tx stock, you can lower his price by saying that it has become outdated (Trust me, those salesmen think more VRAM means better graphics, so keep letting em think that). Also the 7200rpm will not make a noticeable difference in HDD read/write speeds, and the usefulness of the 140gb extra storage is entirely based on your usage and opinion. But they will not be as quiet as the 5400rpm drives.
Can anyone PLEASE tell me how is the Dell service in Kolkata? The 3 year warranty on the new Dell Inspiron 15r (with the 1gb NVidia 525m) is the only thing keeping me from getting the HP.

Last edited:

apurvcn

Broken In
HP allows to custom build dv6 laptops in US. In hard drive they have three options
500GB @ 5400rpm
640GB @ 7200rpm
750GB @5400rpm

So I suppose the 640GB HDD would come at 7200rpm. Not sure though Just a guess

6121tx too comes with a 5400rpm HDD.I got a detailed technical specification sheet for 6121tx from the dealer.But not able to upload it as it exeeds the upload limit of the forum.Can anyone help me with a way to upload?

Last edited:
6121tx too comes with a 5400rpm HDD.I got a detailed technical specification sheet for 6121tx from the dealer.But not able to upload it as it exeeds the upload limit of the forum.Can anyone help me with a way to upload?

You don't have to upload the entire spec sheet, just the main differences. Like if it has 2gb DDR5 6770M graphics or 640 GB harddrive. If you want to post it, you could just scan it (if you have a scanner, otherwise click a photo in Macro Mode on a digital camera) and downsize it. Maybe crop it and post in 2-3 different posts. I'm not exactly sure what is the upload limit.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent

Upload it to picasa/flickr and post a link

Updated the driver. WEI is same but looks turbo boost has been disabled. This problem occurred yesterday also and i removed the drivers and reinstalled the bios. Any other solution?

This problem re-occurred. But this is not a problem but a very cool feature. HP Coolsense on Coolest Mode disables Turbo Boost. This leads to 5 to 10 degree decrease in temperatures. Re-installing bios automatically resets Coolsevnse so problem disappears. I ve tested and crossed checked. I m feeling so relieved now. I thought there was some serious problem with my processor

nishanth1234

Broken In
hey guys i have 60k to buy myself a lappy. i am really interested in the dv6-6017tx and the dv6-6121tx pls suggest.
And does anyone have any idea about when the lenovo y570 is gonna release in india ??

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
@marvelousprashant
So is it good to buy 6121tx.? i am asking this because i haven't Found any reviews about 6121 in net..and the dealer is sayin that
hp has discontinued production of
6017 but when i contacted hp cc they are saying that its production not yet stopped.. so What to do.?

Do you need 640GB. If yes go for 6121tx. Otherwise go for 6017tx save 4k and buy a cooling pad and dr Dre headphones for that. I don't think HP is gonna discontinue this model so soon. It is the best gaming laptop in sub 55k category. No heating issues also.

hey guys i have 60k to buy myself a lappy. i am really interested in the dv6-6017tx and the dv6-6121tx pls suggest.
And does anyone have any idea about when the lenovo y570 is gonna release in india ??

Lenovo Y570 i7 +GT555 wont come within 60k. i7 (1st gen) + 5730m will come for 55k. Nvidia cards are costly.
Go for dv6017/6121tx (see last post on these too) 555M isnt much of a performance boost

OP
rachitboom2

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
Go for 6121tx only if you want the extra 140 gb because the 2 gb vram is just a sales gimmick, it wont provide any benefit unless playing a game at 1080p which most probably you wont...
You can get a nice 1TB external HDD for 4k... thnk abt it :)

And guys my exams are on now so will reply less often... Bt i guess marvelous-prashant ;) will take care of all ur queries :p

Last edited:

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Go for 6121tx only if you want the extra 140 gb because the 2 gb vram is just a sales gimmick, it wont provide any benefit unless playing a game at 1080p which most probably you wont...
You can get a nice 1TB external HDD for 4k... thnk abt it :)

And guys my exams are on now so will reply less often... Bt guess marvelous-prashant ;) will take care of all ur queries :p

Thanks and all the best for your exams man

nishanth1234

Broken In
hey. thx for the quick reply guys:smile:
i am thinking of going for the dv6-6017tx with cooling pad.
and how much do the " Dr. Dre" earphones cost??:?:

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
hey. thx for the quick reply guys:smile:
i am thinking of going for the dv6-6017tx with cooling pad.
and how much do the " Dr. Dre" earphones cost??:?:

No idea. Will update ASAP. Dr DRE headphones are actually the Beats audio headhphones and come bundled with HP Envy series. The quality is very good.

No idea. Will update ASAP. Dr DRE headphones are actually the Beats audio headhphones and come bundled with HP Envy series. The quality is very good.

For high quality, you don't have to stick with the Dr. Dre headphones. Check out some good ones by Sennheiser. I use the mx-760 with my iPod and they blow me away. Superb bass and crystal clear mids and treble. You can choose from a wide range of headphones at Flipkart. The Dr. Dre headphones are unnecessarily expensive on eBay.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
For high quality, you don't have to stick with the Dr. Dre headphones. Check out some good ones by Sennheiser. I use the mx-760 with my iPod and they blow me away. Superb bass and crystal clear mids and treble. You can choose from a wide range of headphones at Flipkart. The Dr. Dre headphones are unnecessarily expensive on eBay.

Edit : 15 k according to a websie. I have dropped the idea of buying it. Its too good for me. I can get a notebook for that price

Edit : 15 k according to a websie. I have dropped the idea of buying it. Its too good for me. I can get a notebook for that price

Hey, marvelousprashant, i've been meaning to ask you if the Cougar Point chipset issue has been corrected in your laptop. Don't check by your serial number, check through your device manager.

nishanth1234

Broken In
dude i am plannin to go for dv6-6017tx now:smile:
i am also plannin to add an extra 4gb ram stick. will it have any difference gaming??

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
dude i am plannin to go for dv6-6017tx now:smile:
i am also plannin to add an extra 4gb ram stick. will it have any difference gaming??

No effect in games except in a few exceptions. Most games have a RAM requirement below 4GB. It will effect video editing, conversion rates etc. Not a bad idea actually

Can anyone who has the 6017tx check through their device manager if the chipset has the rev. B2 or B3? You can do this through CPU-Z, in the mainboard tab, or through the device manager:
goto device manager,
expand universal serial bus,
locate intel 6 series/c200 family enhanced USB host controller
Right click-->properties-->details tab-->Hardware ID

If the hardware ID ends in 04 then it is the defective B2 chipset
if it is 05 then it has the corrected B3 chipset.

And if anyone has the 6121tx, could you check in yours too?

Top Bottom