the HP dv6-6017tx, 6121tx, 6140tx and dv6-6165tx thread

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Can anyone who has the 6017tx check through their device manager if the chipset has the rev. B2 or B3? You can do this through CPU-Z, in the mainboard tab, or through the device manager:
goto device manager,
expand universal serial bus,
locate intel 6 series/c200 family enhanced USB host controller
Right click-->properties-->details tab-->Hardware ID

If the hardware ID ends in 04 then it is the defective B2 chipset
if it is 05 then it has the corrected B3 chipset.

And if anyone has the 6121tx, could you check in yours too?

Rachit has already said that the effect has been fixed. See first page on how to look for serial number for faulty chipsets. The defective Intel chipsets are actually not defective. This problem will only show up if you are using more than one HDD hence desktops are more affected. Faulty or not you won't be affected. HP has said it is going to replace the faulty chipsets for free if the laptop goes to service for any fault after 25 April 2011.

No need to worry. All companies like Dell and Apple are using the so called faulty chipsets.

Anyways here is the full procedure to test LINK

Last edited:
Rachit has already said that the effect has been fixed. See first page on how to look for serial number for faulty chipsets. The defective Intel chipsets are actually not defective. This problem will only show up if you are using more than one HDD hence desktops are more affected. Faulty or not you won't be affected. HP has said it is going to replace the faulty chipsets for free if the laptop goes to service for any fault after 25 April 2011.

No need to worry. All companies like Dell and Apple are using the so called faulty chipsets.

I have read through the whole blog. I know the 4th through 6th digit of the serial number thing. But that alone is not enough for detecting the faulty chipset issue. All laptops manufactured after march are free of the issue. I want to know is HP using those defective chipsets. PLEASE check your device manager and tell us.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
I have read through the whole blog. I know the 4th through 6th digit of the serial number thing. But that alone is not enough for detecting the faulty chipset issue. All laptops manufactured after march are free of the issue. I want to know is HP using those defective chipsets. PLEASE check your device manager and tell us.

B3 chipsets also show B2 sometimes as they use the same drivers. There is no way you can confirm using software. The serial no. is the only way. This is not rachits way but actually on HP website (see link). We could have done this verification using BIOS but HP uses locked BIOS. CPU-z shows B2 for b3 chipsets. Many users reported change from B2 to b3 chipsets after updating to SP1. Either open up your laptop or believe in HP.

By the way... according to your procedure I am using faulty chipset

Last edited:
B3 chipsets also show B2 sometimes as they use the same drivers. There is no way you can confirm using software. The serial no. is the only way. This is not rachits way but actually on HP website (see link). We could have done this verification using BIOS but HP uses locked BIOS. CPU-z shows B2 for b3 chipsets. Many users reported change from B2 to b3 chipsets after updating to SP1. Either open up your laptop or believe in HP.

By the way... according to your procedure I am using faulty chipset

Thanks. I just wanted to know that it was the fault of the bios, because i had checked it in a shop and it showed B2. Even if the faulty chipset is used, is there any way more than two SATA ports will be used? port 0 and 1 are used for the hard drive and optical drive respectively. The other ports are defective according to intel. Can they be used for anything, even if they were not defective? There is no space for a second HDD, nor is there an eSATA port.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Thanks. I just wanted to know that it was the fault of the bios, because i had checked it in a shop and it showed B2. Even if the faulty chipset is used, is there any way more than two SATA ports will be used? port 0 and 1 are used for the hard drive and optical drive respectively. The other ports are defective according to intel. Can they be used for anything, even if they were not defective? There is no space for a second HDD, nor is there an eSATA port.

Default configurations don't use more than 0 and 1 ports. Unless you plan to detach the lower part and attach multiple hard drives you'll be fine.
Just assume that you have a faulty chipset and it breaks after some time, you'll stilll get a free replacement whether in warranty or not:smile:

OP
rachitboom2

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
Guys i totally forgot to mention this to u, when i first found out the Intel way of detecting faulty chipsets i straight away went to HP to report this issue, none of the guys there knew about it, first the receptionist, then the attending gal, then the HP engineer, then the branch manager, then the sales manager of MP, then the Regional manager of MP, then the first 4 times i got forwarded on HP support line for which i had to wait for like an hour, NONE OF THESE PEOPLE KNEW ABOUT IT !!!
FINALLY i got to a guy on HP support saying that blah blah is the serial no of defected ones and your comes under safe chipset n all crap, i simply told them that i dont believe any of what you are saying, i told them that my chipset shows all of the defected chipset values like B2 revision and rev_04 and Intel 6Series 200 chipset and everything,i told them that i want solid proof and not just a serial no verification, after 10 more mins on line with them i was told this was the first such case in India and that it would be throughly looked upon. And was told that i would get a call back directly from HP.
The next day i got a call from the HP HQ in Hyd or sum place i dont remember, they assured me that it was not the faulty chipset and if in future i have any problems my laptop will be replaced completely...
Huh... Well thats about it... After that i dont even think about it anymore :p ...

By the way for those looking for a good headphones or earphones in a tight budget but with great sound quality, i have 2 suggestions,

Earphones :- ipod/iphone ones:- Apple MA662
Headphones:- Nokia HS-62

Both cost around 500-600 on ebay, i have both and both offer loud and clear sound with good enough beats...

Guys i totally forgot to mention this to u, when i first found out the Intel way of detecting faulty chipsets i straight away went to HP to report this issue, none of the guys there knew about it, first the receptionist, then the attending gal, then the HP engineer, then the branch manager, then the sales manager of MP, then the Regional manager of MP, then the first 4 times i got forwarded on HP support line for which i had to wait for like an hour, NONE OF THESE PEOPLE KNEW ABOUT IT !!!
FINALLY i got to a guy on HP support saying that blah blah is the serial no of defected ones and your comes under safe chipset n all crap, i simply told them that i dont believe any of what you are saying, i told them that my chipset shows all of the defected chipset values like B2 revision and rev_04 and Intel 6Series 200 chipset and everything,i told them that i want solid proof and not just a serial no verification, after 10 more mins on line with them i was told this was the first such case in India and that it would be throughly looked upon. And was told that i would get a call back directly from HP.
The next day i got a call from the HP HQ in Hyd or sum place i dont remember, they assured me that it was not the faulty chipset and if in future i have any problems my laptop will be replaced completely...
Huh... Well thats about it... After that i dont even think about it anymore :p ...

By the way for those looking for a good headphones or earphones in a tight budget but with great sound quality, i have 2 suggestions,

Earphones :- ipod/iphone ones:- Apple MA662
Headphones:- Nokia HS-62

Both cost around 500-600 on ebay, i have both and both offer loud and clear sound with good enough beats...

Thanks rachit. But what happens after the warranty is over? I believe this laptop comes with a one year warranty, and i don't know of any warranty extension. My dealer says that as of now, HP is not offering any 3 year warranty. He may be wrong, but i'm not sure. My point is, just by them assuring you that it will be replaced, how do you know they will stick to their word? And once the warranty period is over, HP or for that matter, any other company will probably back out on their word. In the US, HP took back all the faulty chipset equipped laptops from their customers and offered them a 150$ coupon or something for their troubles, but I seriously doubt they will do any of that here.

Also, PLEASE DO NOT BUY THE APPLE EARPHONES. They always conk off within a year. This happened to anyone I know who owned an iPod- me, my dad, my brother, and all my friends. I cannot comment on the nokia, but for high quality, i suggest investing atleast Rs.1500-2000 on sennheiser earphones. Also the sony ones in Rs.500-1000 range are good.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Thanks rachit. But what happens after the warranty is over? I believe this laptop comes with a one year warranty, and i don't know of any warranty extension. My dealer says that as of now, HP is not offering any 3 year warranty. He may be wrong, but i'm not sure. My point is, just by them assuring you that it will be replaced, how do you know they will stick to their word? And once the warranty period is over, HP or for that matter, any other company will probably back out on their word. In the US, HP took back all the faulty chipset equipped laptops from their customers and offered them a 150$ coupon or something for their troubles, but I seriously doubt they will do any of that here.

HP has quoted this on their website that they will be replacing the faulty chipsets without any payment. And In first case you wont be getting a faulty chipset. Secondly the faulty part is non functional. Dont worry so much just buy and chill out

OP
rachitboom2

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz

Also, PLEASE DO NOT BUY THE APPLE EARPHONES. They always conk off within a year. This happened to anyone I know who owned an iPod- me, my dad, my brother, and all my friends. I cannot comment on the nokia, but for high quality, i suggest investing atleast Rs.1500-2000 on sennheiser earphones. Also the sony ones in Rs.500-1000 range are good.

No this issue is not related to warranty, anyways just to be on the safe side, do one thing a few months after you buy the laptop, get it properly serviced for free, when you get a laptop you will get the job sheet with it, if after an year you find that you have the faulty chipset you can tell them that they were supposed to detect and change the chipset on there own whenever a faulty one was services as mentioned on the HP support site and so you can blame them... And believe me stick to what you think is right and they cave very easily...

And i agree with what you said about the ipod earphones that they wear off but not in a year, i had mine in perfect condition for around 2 years and they offer brilliant sound quality for Rs500-600 earphones even if you have to change them every 1.5-2.5 years...

The Nokia one is really loud, clear, suppresses the background noise very nicely and has good bass...

And by the way i agree that great ones will defiantly cost 1500+, have Turtle Beach X11 for my Xbox 360 which were of 3300 and they can simply blow your mind at full volume when playing games :D .Then are USB powered though so cant be used with ipod/Mobile...

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
It is quite difficult to review this laptop in one go. So I am showing some of the cool features in it. My last video was about the beats audio. This one is about Active noise cancellation. A very good feature actually for video chatting

(PS : I am a noob when it comes to video editing)

[YOUTUBE]V2Il3-BOqHI[/YOUTUBE]

OP
rachitboom2

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
It is quite difficult to review this laptop in one go. So I am showing some of the cool features in it. My last video was about the beats audio. This one is about Active noise cancellation. A very good feature actually for video chatting

(PS : I am a noob when it comes to video editing)

[YOUTUBE]V2Il3-BOqHI[/YOUTUBE]

Nice vid for noobs... But next time start from the beginning i.e. by opening beats then the tab then options n all otherwise many noobs ask from where did u get beats software n all :p

naveen.raptor

Broken In
I had ordered a Dv6 6017TX for 52580 here at Thiruvananthapuram,a week back.But now he says that its not there in ready stock,but the 6121TX with 640Gb HDD and 2Gb 6770M is available in ready stock for 55900.He said he had ordered the DV6 6017TX,but the product has to come from Singapore.

Should i go for the DV6 6121TX?
Did all u guys who bought the DV6 6017TX,get the hp backpack,shown in igyaan reviews?

apurvcn

Broken In
I had ordered a Dv6 6017TX for 52580 here at Thiruvananthapuram,a week back.But now he says that its not there in ready stock,but the 6121TX with 640Gb HDD and 2Gb 6770M is available in ready stock for 55900.He said he had ordered the DV6 6017TX,but the product has to come from Singapore.

Should i go for the DV6 6121TX?
Did all u guys who bought the DV6 6017TX,get the hp backpack,shown in igyaan reviews?
Me to in tvm some of them still hav 6017 but the price they are sayin is 55k.so I had decided to go for 6121tx.the lowest deal which I got was from focus trivandrum.they told 54800.they might further reduce the price if we bargain. It was better to hav 6017 I even had a good deal with one of the sellers for 52k.but now they say that it is not available. So we ill hav to spend 3k more on 6121.
I dont know if there are any games which require 2gb card.
And about the back pack.ya it comes with this model as well.i called the customer care and confirmed it.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Me to in tvm some of them still hav 6017 but the price they are sayin is 55k.so I had decided to go for 6121tx.the lowest deal which I got was from focus trivandrum.they told 54800.they might further reduce the price if we bargain. It was better to hav 6017 I even had a good deal with one of the sellers for 52k.but now they say that it is not available. So we ill hav to spend 3k more on 6121.
And about the back pack.ya it comes with this model as well.i called the customer care and confirmed it.

55k is too much. The price on the HP India website is 52K only.Why don't you tell your dealer about the price on website
The price difference of 3K for 140GB is too much. 6017tx ix better value for money. 2GB is just a marketing strategy. The extra 1 GB is useless

55k is too much. The price on the HP India website is 52K only.Why don't you tell your dealer about the price on website
The price difference of 3K for 140GB is too much. 6017tx ix better value for money. 2GB is just a marketing strategy. The extra 1 GB is useless

The extra 1GB will not be used, as the card itself will become the bottleneck at high graphics settings, not the available memory. The 6770M is a powerful graphics card, but the 2GB version is just a gimmick. But most sellers are kind of unaware of this. To them, a 1GB graphics card (they don't even know diff. graphics cards have diff. performances) is good, and that 2GB is better. You could tell them that now that the 2GB version has come out, the 1GB is obsolete. With a little skill, you could get him to reduce the price to about 50-51K. With the money you save, you could get accessories such as headphones, cooling pads, a proper laptop bag from targus or samsonite. The extra 140GB is not worth the extra money. For 2.8K you can get a 500 gig external drive from transcend. But, if no one has the 6017tx, then the 6121tx is still the best VFM laptop at 55K.

naveen.raptor

Broken In

I got the deal from Indicom systems.Will call the shop guy tommrw and ask the status of the order.Which one have you decided to buy?

OP
rachitboom2

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
Note for all the proud owners of HP dv6-6017tx, I am going to update the first post of this thread with your names and/or user ids so please pm me or post to let me know and i will add your name... :)
Enjoy... ;)

Top Bottom