the HP dv6-6017tx, 6121tx, 6140tx and dv6-6165tx thread

aniket.cain

Padawan
Underpowered is an understatement. This card is crippled! There is only one solution to it, and that is to manually set the desired clocks. But I have not yet found any method to do that. It can be done easily on systems having the option to manually select which card to run. But not on systems with auto-switching...

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Underpowered is an understatement. This card is crippled! There is only one solution to it, and that is to manually set the desired clocks. But I have not yet found any method to do that. It can be done easily on systems having the option to manually select which card to run. But not on systems with auto-switching...
The 6000 series uses the old mux-based switchable graphics. That means that both GPUs (the Radeon and the Intel) are connected to a mux, and the mux connects to the display. When you switch graphics you are changing which GPU connects to the display.

The 6100 series uses a muxless design. This is the same basic design as NVIDIA Optimus. What that means is that the Radeon GPU renders into memory, but the Intel GPU is used for outputting the final image. This is the key here - the Intel GPU is always active, it's just that the Radeon does the rendering work when it's selected.

Clearly the problem is that AMD hasn't gotten working OpenGL support with the muxless design. That's probably because they didn't have the software engineering resources to get it done right away. Since most games on Windows are Direct3D (not OpenGL), it makes sense to focus on that first. But rest assured that there is nothing intrinsic to the muxless design that makes OpenGL impossible. It's just a matter of AMD getting the driver support right.

You are never going to be able to switch purely to the Radeon graphics like you can on the 6000 series. The muxless technology doesn't work that way. You may at some point be able to force-select the Radeon GPU, but the Intel GPU will still be active.

aniket.cain

Padawan
The 6000 series uses the old mux-based switchable graphics. That means that both GPUs (the Radeon and the Intel) are connected to a mux, and the mux connects to the display. When you switch graphics you are changing which GPU connects to the display.

The 6100 series uses a muxless design. This is the same basic design as NVIDIA Optimus. What that means is that the Radeon GPU renders into memory, but the Intel GPU is used for outputting the final image. This is the key here - the Intel GPU is always active, it's just that the Radeon does the rendering work when it's selected.

Clearly the problem is that AMD hasn't gotten working OpenGL support with the muxless design. That's probably because they didn't have the software engineering resources to get it done right away. Since most games on Windows are Direct3D (not OpenGL), it makes sense to focus on that first. But rest assured that there is nothing intrinsic to the muxless design that makes OpenGL impossible. It's just a matter of AMD getting the driver support right.

You are never going to be able to switch purely to the Radeon graphics like you can on the 6000 series. The muxless technology doesn't work that way. You may at some point be able to force-select the Radeon GPU, but the Intel GPU will still be active.

What about the DV6-6017TX? It is 6000 series, but it still has got no option of manual switching. And anyhow, I hope AMD fix this issue real soon, coz i am very pissed off at this laptop which struggles to touch a playable 30fps in all the games.

EDIT: Anybody interested in buying this model, please read THIS first.

Last edited:

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
That is not a pretty post mate.

The problem is with OpenGL or Direct3D ?
The problem is that, in the the 61xx series HP moved on to a newer Auto-Switch tech for AMD GFX. But due to AMD drivers, OpenGL applications (Adobe CS5, Minecraft etc) cannot access the powerful HD6770M. They have to run on the Intel HD3000.

Most users won't be affected by this problem.

Nvidia's Optimus tech also had similar problems. They were fixed and hopefully AMD will fix theirs too. And soon.

I think Aniket's problem is something else. I couldn't find much about his problem.

Can anyone tell me the exact model of the wifi adapter in this notebook?
Can be found in device manager.
Bump

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Now it says that the OpenGL programs will have a problem but I know that most of the games run in the Direct3D mode.
Yes that's why its not a problem for most users.

Photoshop will work with slight lag.
After effects and other hifi Adobe products will not work well.
Most rendering apps won't work well.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
What about the DV6-6017TX? It is 6000 series, but it still has got no option of manual switching. And anyhow, I hope AMD fix this issue real soon, coz i am very pissed off at this laptop which struggles to touch a playable 30fps in all the games.

EDIT: Anybody interested in buying this model, please read THIS first.
I found a possible solution for your problem.
Try to disable hardware acceleration in flash and your browser and see if that works.

ATI downclocks its cards when in Idle/2D mode and goes back to normal when in 3D mode.

HW Acceleration will switch it to 2D mode.

If this doesn't work,
Disable Powerplay in the Ati CCC.

If it still doesn't work, try *www.techpowerup.com/rbe/ at your risk.

Flash content plays using the H.264 codec. This will clock some graphics chips at 400 MHz for the Unified Video Decoder (or UVD for short), assuming you have hardware acceleration enabled.

It is not gonna affect most users is very true but it will affect a small majority.

AMD might release a Fix soon .
Or it may take a lot of time. They haven't even acknowledged the problem yet.
Nvidia took a half a year to fix Optimus.

Last edited:
They will be aware of the problem as people have contacted them . They might not acknowledge it as that might affect the sales so lets hope our friends can have a end to there problem.

aniket.cain

Padawan
My problem is mentioned in THIS thread.

If you go through all the posts, you'll find that there are some users which are getting pretty good performance in all the games, even at FullHD resolutions. But, there are many users, who are facing some problem with the 6770M. I am one of those unfortunate sufferers.

Like I have mentioned numerous times before, I'm not getting good fps in any of the games. And yes, I do know how to set it to 'High Performance' etc, so please don't suggest me to do so time and again. I have updates the drivers, removed all the crapware, keep the laptop plugged in while gaming and even upgraded the RAM to 8 GB because the damn thing was showing me low on memory error while playing games.

Last night, I set all settings to 'Low' in Battlefield : Bad Company 2 and still it wasn't touching 40fps. At all settings max, it runs at 18-20 fps. How pathetic is that? And I know it is not running on onboard graphics, because if I set it so, the performance drop is immense. Now I would like to know how many other owners of 6121TX here are having this problem.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Now I would like to know how many other owners of 6121TX here are having this problem.
This problem can be seen on desktop cards as well. ATI as well as Nvidia.

Try the flash HW Acc fix I mentioned on the last post of the last page.

aniket.cain

Padawan
This problem can be seen on desktop cards as well. ATI as well as Nvidia.

Try the flash HW Acc fix I mentioned on the last post of the last page.

I would do that in the evening when I get back to my room. But I doubt that it will fix that. This problem is widespread and nobody has found any solution to it yet. :x

ankurgel

He loves himself.
Seems like 6770M has pissed up everyone. Read the details posted by aniket.cain at HP Pavillion DV6-6XXX series Owners Lounge V2 . IF one goes with either GeForce 525M or 540M in Dell, don't they create problems with this muxless dynamic switching ?

Nope they done !

I have NFS Ho Pursuit and it does no show my GFX but my GFX works during the game and I get great FPS .

The reason is Nvidia have solved this problem .

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Seems like 6770M has pissed up everyone. Read the details posted by aniket.cain at HP Pavillion DV6-6XXX series Owners Lounge V2 . IF one goes with either GeForce 525M or 540M in Dell, don't they create problems with this muxless dynamic switching ?
As xtremevicky said, Nvidia have solved this problem (as they launched this last year). Amd will release new drivers to solve this problem.

And AMD's design is only giving problem with OpenGL. So windows gamer will not be effected by this. (Unless you like Minecraft)

Also this problem only exists in 6121TX and not 6017TX.

If you are not a gamer or don't use windows, then this Laptop is not for you. Dell XPS15 is a better option with much better speakers and screen. Also a backlit KB.

Aniket Cain's problem is not related to HD6770M or HP. Its a problem with ATI and their (not so good) power saving feature.

ankurgel

He loves himself.
As xtremevicky said, Nvidia have solved this problem (as they launched this last year). Amd will release new drivers to solve this problem.

And AMD's design is only giving problem with OpenGL. So windows gamer will not be effected by this. (Unless you like Minecraft)

Also this problem only exists in 6121TX and not 6017TX.

If you are not a gamer or don't use windows, then this Laptop is not for you. Dell XPS15 is a better option with much better speakers and screen. Also a backlit KB.

Aniket Cain's problem is not related to HD6770M or HP. Its a problem with ATI and their (not so good) power saving feature.

Okay! It is finally starting to sink in.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
My problem is mentioned in THIS thread.

If you go through all the posts, you'll find that there are some users which are getting pretty good performance in all the games, even at FullHD resolutions. But, there are many users, who are facing some problem with the 6770M. I am one of those unfortunate sufferers.

Like I have mentioned numerous times before, I'm not getting good fps in any of the games. And yes, I do know how to set it to 'High Performance' etc, so please don't suggest me to do so time and again. I have updates the drivers, removed all the crapware, keep the laptop plugged in while gaming and even upgraded the RAM to 8 GB because the damn thing was showing me low on memory error while playing games.

Last night, I set all settings to 'Low' in Battlefield : Bad Company 2 and still it wasn't touching 40fps. At all settings max, it runs at 18-20 fps. How pathetic is that? And I know it is not running on onboard graphics, because if I set it so, the performance drop is immense. Now I would like to know how many other owners of 6121TX here are having this problem.

It might be worth trying to downgrade to v11.5 that allows manual switching option

Top Bottom