the HP dv6-6017tx, 6121tx, 6140tx and dv6-6165tx thread

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
I have mixed Arctic Silver 5 with Cooler MAster Xtreme Fusion and applied to my CPU and GPU :hyper:....Applied a very fine layer of Arctic Silver 5 in the middle of the Proccy and surrounded it with Xtreme Fusion on the sides.......Surprisingly,it now takes a looong long time to hit 90'C for the CPU...Also replaced thermal pads of northbridge and other elements,and the dv6 is now extremely cool.ALso I dont have coolsense on my pc now,so that kind of performance is commendable.I've also done some cooling mods on my dv6,some were inspired from youtube and some were on my own.

Prongs298

In the zone
what were the mods? and mine hits 90 after gaming. i guess its the summer. but it has been almost a year and a half so i should change the paste.

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
My setup for keeping the lappy cool-
1.I use a notepal E1 laptop cooler all the time.
2.When you open the service bay(the plastic part which is removed to get access to HDD,RAM etc),you'll see a net like sticker stuck underside it,to cover the vents with a mesh like material...You'll find similar meshes underneath every vent under the laptop...I have removed them all(the stickers.)So my laptop has clear vents now,devoid of any meshes.I'll post a picture showing what I mean,in case you dont get it.
3.The third mod was to remove a design flaw by hp....You must have felt hot air out of side vents,but if you have seen,there's another vent at the back of laptop,which seems to have the same fan,but no air comes out of it....atleat in my case,I never felt air coming out of it.I opened the heatsink and cut open the plastic wall which was restricting airflow out of the rear vent....This mod in itself has made the laptop more cooler than any other mod...A nice 5-8'C was shaved out....
4.I raised the heatsink a bit,from the base enclosure using double sided thick adhesive tapes....This was done so as to provide airflow under fan,so that it gets a wee bit of more air.....
5.Use Arctic Silver 5 as the thermal paste...Also clean the heatsink thoroughly of any dust,catfur etc.....blow air strongly in the heatsink....When using AS5 as the thermal paste,take care to make as thin you can make the layer..Trust me,it works best when you have the thinnest layer possible....ALso take care not to spill it over mobo,as it will damage it.

*img515.imageshack.us/img515/5258/46095410.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1.In the picture showing rear of lappy,that was the vent of of which I had never felt air,just heat.
2.The circles at the back of laptop shows vents from where I removed the mesh sticker.
3.Heatsink shows where the plastic wall of fan was there,and the straight lines show the area I'd cut to ensure that rear vent also works.

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
^^
I admit I now have to be extra careful with my laptop,bu t since I always use my laptop with a cooler,its bearable with me.........You dont anyways use your lappy on a beach shore or in a desert,with the lappy mounted on back of a huge sand-dune....:lol:

Prongs298

In the zone
My setup for keeping the lappy cool-
1.I use a notepal E1 laptop cooler all the time.
2.When you open the service bay(the plastic part which is removed to get access to HDD,RAM etc),you'll see a net like sticker stuck underside it,to cover the vents with a mesh like material...You'll find similar meshes underneath every vent under the laptop...I have removed them all(the stickers.)So my laptop has clear vents now,devoid of any meshes.I'll post a picture showing what I mean,in case you dont get it.
3.The third mod was to remove a design flaw by hp....You must have felt hot air out of side vents,but if you have seen,there's another vent at the back of laptop,which seems to have the same fan,but no air comes out of it....atleat in my case,I never felt air coming out of it.I opened the heatsink and cut open the plastic wall which was restricting airflow out of the rear vent....This mod in itself has made the laptop more cooler than any other mod...A nice 5-8'C was shaved out....
4.I raised the heatsink a bit,from the base enclosure using double sided thick adhesive tapes....This was done so as to provide airflow under fan,so that it gets a wee bit of more air.....
5.Use Arctic Silver 5 as the thermal paste...Also clean the heatsink thoroughly of any dust,catfur etc.....blow air strongly in the heatsink....When using AS5 as the thermal paste,take care to make as thin you can make the layer..Trust me,it works best when you have the thinnest layer possible....ALso take care not to spill it over mobo,as it will damage it.

*img515.imageshack.us/img515/5258/46095410.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1.In the picture showing rear of lappy,that was the vent of of which I had never felt air,just heat.
2.The circles at the back of laptop shows vents from where I removed the mesh sticker.
3.Heatsink shows where the plastic wall of fan was there,and the straight lines show the area I'd cut to ensure that rear vent also works.

thanks mate. this is much appreciated. i will do your rear vent cutting mod.

Prongs298

In the zone
*www.nextworld.in/product.aspx?sku=HW8568

@swiftsashi - is this compounds fine? is the site ok?

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
that website is fine ( some of our members have bought items from there ) but if you have doubt use CoD option and get CM TF 400 only but did you notice both of the products are not available on there ?? ;-)

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
@Prongs298
IC essential e1 is a very basic TIM.....Since AS-5 has become very expensive these days,my suggestion would be__

go for *www.shopclues.com/cooler-master-extreme-fusion-x1.html

It has a performance comparable to AS-5,double the thermal conductivity of IC E1,and the best part is,curing time is zero and is electrically non conducting also........So its a lot safer to use.......Plus,at shopclues,you are getting it at an unbeatable price.....I have used it and I felt it is slightly better than AS-5...
However there is difference between AS-5 and Xtreme Fusion X1 in the way of applying...AS5 works best when layer of compound is thin,where as with xtreme fusion X1,apply a uniform slightly thicker layer...thin layer doesnt work with Xtreme Fusion X1

Last edited:

Prongs298

In the zone
@sashi - thanks mate. but i wonder how did i not find that shop while searching on google?

and just to be safe can you give the link for the service manual of our dv6121 tx. i trust you.

I, too, own a Pavilion dv6, and after much work, I have figured out the problem, as well as how to permanently fix it. I believe the problem is a design flaw that is simple in nature, but difficult to find and fix.

Now, first let me explain how cooling works for the dv6. The computer's fan is hooked up to a series of flat copper tubes, which then pass over the CPU, Integrated VPU, and the additional Video Card if you have one. The purpose of the copper is to efficiently conduct heat, which the fan then removes from the computer via airflow. In order to ensure that the heat exchange between the chip and the cooling system is maximally efficient, the contact area between them is filled with a layer of thermally conducting paste.

That's the theory, anyways. But when I took apart my laptop (and my father, who also has a dv6, found the same thing when he took apart his), what I discovered is that the Integrated VPU and the heat ducts had too much space between them. Evidently, HP also noticed this, so they made up the difference by sticking a square piece of material between them so that they're in contact.

Now, in order for the VPU to dump heat properly, the padding in this space would have to be comprised of metal and thermal conduction paste. However, what I actually found there was a square of soft, heat-insulating silicon. The same was found in my father's laptop, and if those in this thread were to take their laptops apart and look at the heat conduction system, they would probably find the same thing.

So how to fix this? What I did was to remove the square of silicon. I then sawed off an appropriately-sized piece from an old heat sink and used that to make up the gap, sealing both the top and bottom with thermal conducting paste. DO NOT forget to scrape off the old thermal conducting paste they already used for the contact area of the CPU and non-integrated VPU (if you have it) and replace it. That stuff has to be replaced every time you remove the heat conduction array. Also, don't add too much paste; a thin uniform layer across the chip's black contact square is enough (it's a good idea to spread it thin with a thin, flat blade). Make sure the paste doesn't touch anything outside that contact square. That stuff's highly conductive, and it'll short any circuit it touches. I accidentally smeared it because we'd added too much the first time we took it apart, and we wound up spending ages cleaning it off the CPU and Video Card. Once you've got the CPU, Integrated VPU, and Non-Integrated VPU properly sealed, reconnect and reassemble the laptop.

Both computers, after implementing this fix, now run like a dream. Temperature doesn't exceed 70 degrees, and it only gets up there on a spike. The fan runs pretty quiet, and the computer doesn't produce anywhere near the heat levels that used to make it spontaneously shut down.

source - *//h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-e-g-Windows-8/Pavilion-dv6-Overheating/m-p/975733#M56593

anyone tried doing this....

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
Here You Go---
Manuals for HP Pavilion dv6-6121tx Entertainment Notebook PC | HP® Support

Select "HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC - Maintenance and Service Guide-6.19MB"

Take Care of every screw,its already mentioned in the manual.....if you interchange the screws,you'll end up damaging the threads of the base enclosure.
Also,you'll find two things difficult if you follow the manual....For opening keyboard,first remove the 5mm screw...Then look from the dvd side,you'll see the base of the kbd....push gently from there..In manual,its told to push the kbd using screw driver,which is not very promising for the first time..
Secondly,take ultimate care near the dvd drive area,the top panel near the area is very weak,and may crack if you mishandle it....Best of Luck.....!!
Do write in if you find yourself stuck somewhere

Prongs298

In the zone
[URL=*imageshack.us/photo/my-images/403/13062012348.jpg/]*img403.imageshack.us/img403/5180/13062012348.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/URL]

Sorry for the grainy picture quality,it was from my nokia 5235.

*i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n542/prongs298/original15_zps146f4eba.jpg

i compared these two pictures.

did you also apply the thermal paste on the green area of the cpu and gpu as well as the shiny area? sorry for the layman terms. but those areas in your picture have a black rubbery thing on them? what is that?

also where do i get a thermal pad to replace that silicon piece??

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
no ....apply thermal paste only on the shiny area.....dont replace the pads,leave them as it is...

My processor has a plastic lamination sort of thing,its looking like a rubbry substance,did you remove it by any chance??

BTW,are you sure your model is 6121tx??Sorry for the insanely stupid question but my mobo looks a lot different from urs....

rider

as Kratos
Remove that plastic lamination properly. Put the thermal paste in a shot and cover it normally with the fan.

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
@Rider.
Are you sure that plastic wrap around the processor is to be removed??It covers only the green area,and the top shiny part is exposed

Prongs298

In the zone
no ....apply thermal paste only on the shiny area.....dont replace the pads,leave them as it is...

My processor has a plastic lamination sort of thing,its looking like a rubbry substance,did you remove it by any chance??

BTW,are you sure your model is 6121tx??Sorry for the insanely stupid question but my mobo looks a lot different from urs....

i am the one insanely stupid. that is the old dv6 mobo pic i picked form google, just to ask you about the thermal paste. its not mine. and my laptop is a 6121tx. pretty sure.

and i havent still opened it. waiting for thermal fusion x1 form shopclues.

but i have questions about the 6770 drivers.

i was using the 12.10 official hp ones for a long time now. that sp55092.exe ones.
decided to update and downloaded 13.4 mobility ones from amd site. messed up the brightness controls. but it also messed up opencl and ccc. tried reverting back. did not know how so it took a day. and a half.

after which i uninstalled the drivers using control panel.

then went to safe mode and unistalled both intel and amd gpus form there.

then used driver sweeper in safe mode to completely remove the amd drivers.

then installed the leshcat 13.1 drivers which also included the updated intel ones.

problem is FIFA 13 stutters from time to time. but everything else is perfect. brightness controls are alright. now what i want to ask is whether i can just update the AMD display driver to 13.4 using device manager or will it mess up the other components of unifl? please shed some light.

Last edited:

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
Sorry bro....but I wont be able to help you with this,as I'm myself on age old 12.6 drivers, because I've overvolted to 1.1V & overclocked to 900/1050Mhz...and 12.6 drivers gave me the best stability.
Also I faced numerous issues on other drivers like brightness issues, drivers not getting installed etc...Asked many times for help but looked like no one had the idea.So, I'm sticking to 12.6
@Prongs
bro, can you just look for one thing, double click the 13.4 drivers, and in installation mode, select custom, not express, and then please let me know the amd driver version its showing...you may cancel the installation after that.please??

And BTW, sp55092 is not 12.10....its probably a 11.xx version driver. ..

Prongs298

In the zone
the driver version on 13.4 is 12.104.0.0000.

and that on 12.10 is 9.002.0.0000.
and the sp55092.exe has the same drivers as 12.10.

can you post the steps you did to overclock your 6770m?

Last edited:
Top Bottom