the HP dv6-6017tx, 6121tx, 6140tx and dv6-6165tx thread

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
Sorry for the delayed reply...
Here you go
-
Overclocking-*forum.notebookreview.com/hp-pavilion-notebooks/599746-overclocking-radeon-6770m-dv6t-61xx.html
Overvolting-*forum.notebookreview.com/hp-pavilion-notebooks/669603-how-overvolt-amd-12-3-tested-6770m.html

NOTE-I recommend overclocking and overvolting ONLY if you have an extended warranty in place...I may also remind you that both these procedures are known to be harsh on the GPU life.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
GUYS........................PLEASE HELP

Why do I see this when I try to install AMD 13.4 drivers.
*img845.imageshack.us/img845/3383/17624534.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If you notice,there's no driver listed in the package....
I am currently running on AMD 12.6 drivers,at stock clocks.

Prongs298

In the zone
i am just guessing here, but you should download the drivers from a different place. The size is 135 mb.

And maybe the drivers are already updated. Its just the catalyst suite version that is 12.6. Check in gpu z before the catalyst no. If its 12.104 then you are in 13.4 catalyst driver version otherwise 12.6.

But my advice is not to go for them, the 12.10 are the best. Or the leshcat ones except for the open cl errors.

And i applied the CM thermal fusion x1. :) The temps are down from 95 at full load to 85 at full load in perf optim mode. :) 80 in coolest.

Idle tems around 45.

Its was a pain to disassemble the dv6. But easier to out it back. It will last thats for sure. The keyboard and hd ram wifi cover were the hardest.

Does your kb pop out a bit when you press the center of the brown metal area directly below the hp logo on the speaker line below the display?

Mine does.

Also the thermal paste application process was messy to be blunt. I had to use my fingers at last. Do share your own experiences with thermal paste application.

This is from my nokia e63. Bsnl is a *****. Wire cut. Will post pictures later.

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
You mean Xtreme Fusion X1...???
You shouldn't have touched it by your hands. ..The plastic part is given to spread the tim evenly..Anyways, its great that you are satisfied with your laptops performance.

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
Yes its normal for the kbd to pop out...There are some points where the kbd clips into the top panel...the points are f1,f5,f9,prt sc,and pg up keys...If you press above these keys,the kbd will disengage from its hook..The point you've mentioned is above the f9 key.

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
__________________________________________________________________________________________]HP itself is responsible for screwing its laptop,and making them equal to HEATERS!!!!

As my laptop's internals were last cleaned in December last year(It was opened by HP's engineer a month back,but that was to replace the front speaker),I thought it to clean it,and give a fresh dose of TIM if necessary.
I removed a plastic which used to be loosely attached over my processor and GPU(refer to the mobo's image in prongs post on this very page,a brown plastic is visible),and thorughly cleaned the processor's top and gpu's surface...The TIM was good to go for a few months more,but replaced it.Cleaned the internals and took care to remove every visible dust particle!!!
Reassembled the laptop and checked the temperatures...It was astonishingly idling around 35-38 constant!!!Earlier it used to be around 45!!!Don't know whether its because of removing the plastic or something else.
I agree the temperature of my city has decreased a lot due to rain,but such a temperature was not achieved earlier ever under normal room conditions(without AC/Cooling Pad).

*img248.imageshack.us/img248/1285/56259933.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As my cooling pad is burnt,I could not use the same.This temperature was achieved in Normal Room with temperatures~24'C(shown in my Galaxy S3).Power Mode was HP Recommended and CoolSense was ON.

Gaming Performance-Played Crysis 3 for about 45min;Max Temp for CPU Core was 71'C,GPU-70.
CoolSense-ON,Power Mode-High Performance :lol:

Last edited:

praveen786

Tech Master
Frnds i own hp dv6 6165tx.
I wanted to increase my ram from 4 gb to 8 gb i just wanted to know whether increasing ram will increse graphics performance or not.

And is there any other benefits of increasing ram???

Plz also suggest some ram models and provide their link on flipkart.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
No. Increasing RAM helps only if you find that RAM usage currenlty is too much (under the task manger performance tab)

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
Frnds i own hp dv6 6165tx.
I wanted to increase my ram from 4 gb to 8 gb i just wanted to know whether increasing ram will increse graphics performance or not.

And is there any other benefits of increasing ram???

Plz also suggest some ram models and provide their link on flipkart.

Best possible RAM for your lappy-

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) Laptop RAM (CMSX4GX3M1A1600C9) - Corsair: Flipkart.com

However there are other cheaper options as well.Works well if both the RAM's are same.

praveen786

Tech Master
Best possible RAM for your lappy-

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) Laptop RAM (CMSX4GX3M1A1600C9) - Corsair: Flipkart.com

However there are other cheaper options as well.Works well if both the RAM's are same.

Any cheaper option??

And is this ram is compatible with my HP pavilion dv6 6165tx

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) Laptop RAM (CMSX4GX3M1A1600C9)
Flipkart link

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
Have a look on the second review on the flipkart page,its for the 6165tx

To quote-
"A good upgrade for HP-DV6-6165TX! Worth the price!
I currently own a HP-DV6-6165TX laptop, bought a year back. It had 4GB RAM and wanted to upgrade to 8GB RAM. Accidently, found about Corsair and Vengeance RAM. Took a chance and got 2 Pcs of 4GB from Flipkart. As usual Flipkart service was good and received it in 2 Days Time. Put it in my Laptop today and found the RAM's OK and Laptop working OK.

System Info: Core i7 2670QM at 2.2 Ghz, RAM: 2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz, 750GB HDD, ATI AMD Radeon 6770M (Switchable Graphics), Windows 8 Professional.

My DV6 is now running in Dual channel Mode at 800MHz frequency. Windows 8 Performance Index has improved. Processor Performance increased from 7.3 to 7.4 and Memory performance increased from 7.3 to 7.8. It was an easy installation and no tweaking necessary in the CMOS setup.

Overall good Corsair product. Definitely a match for Core I7 processors.

Once again my confidence in Flipkart service is maintained and Thank you Flipkart for such a good service."

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
^^ I believe Windows Performance numbers arent a good indicator of performance.

And 4GB of RAM is pretty sufficient for most. A more marked improvement can be found with the switch to an SSD.

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
^^ I second that...SSd is a great way of increasing laptop's performance.I upgraded to 12GB of RAM simply because I multitask heavily,and a 4GB memory used to bog down!!...Though I admit,for most normal users and for most practical purposes,4GB is almost enough,though 8GB is useful for gamers.

praveen786

Tech Master
Have a look on the second review on the flipkart page,its for the 6165tx

To quote-
"A good upgrade for HP-DV6-6165TX! Worth the price!
I currently own a HP-DV6-6165TX laptop, bought a year back. It had 4GB RAM and wanted to upgrade to 8GB RAM. Accidently, found about Corsair and Vengeance RAM. Took a chance and got 2 Pcs of 4GB from Flipkart. As usual Flipkart service was good and received it in 2 Days Time. Put it in my Laptop today and found the RAM's OK and Laptop working OK.

System Info: Core i7 2670QM at 2.2 Ghz, RAM: 2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz, 750GB HDD, ATI AMD Radeon 6770M (Switchable Graphics), Windows 8 Professional.

My DV6 is now running in Dual channel Mode at 800MHz frequency. Windows 8 Performance Index has improved. Processor Performance increased from 7.3 to 7.4 and Memory performance increased from 7.3 to 7.8. It was an easy installation and no tweaking necessary in the CMOS setup.

Overall good Corsair product. Definitely a match for Core I7 processors.

Once again my confidence in Flipkart service is maintained and Thank you Flipkart for such a good service."

bro but the ram frequency is 1600 mhz and i m not gonna buy 2 so is this ram supports my current ram ?
And one more thing many members are saying ram increasing doesn't boost your performance.
But i wanted to play some new games like DMC 5, NFS run etc. So increasing ram would increase the performance of game or not??

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
bro but the ram frequency is 1600 mhz and i m not gonna buy 2 so is this ram supports my current ram ?
And one more thing many members are saying ram increasing doesn't boost your performance.
But i wanted to play some new games like DMC 5, NFS run etc. So increasing ram would increase the performance of game or not??

Theyy are right, increasing RAM doesnt help gaming all that much. I had a weaker gpu than yours, an ATI 6750, and 4GB of system RAM, played a lot of games on it, still do, but was never memory bottlenecked.

Fact is there isnt much apart from a better GPU that can help gaming. You can try overclocking (voids warranty) but thats about it. If you werent being held back by RAM prior to the upgrade, you wont see any improvements in gaming. I was able to play Crysis 2, Dirt 2, Metro 2033 etc on a processor set to not run at more than 70% of maximum.

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
For Rider

Dual Harddrive laptop: Add an SSD into an HP DV6 6190us.flv - YouTube

You r the best person to say whether you need additional RAM or not;If 4 GB ram is bottlenecking the performance,you definitely need an upgrade,else,save your money and go for an SSD

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
Try local market...I got here in Ranchi for about 800 bucks.Even a 3500 model is on offer,its all about the fit and finish.
Try Ebay,if unavailable in local market

samudragupta

Youngling
hi friends my dv6165's fan has stopped working the 2nd time in 2 months... the technician had come last month and cleaned the dust from the laptop and applied thermal paste and was working fine until today... i got the same blue screen error saying fan has stopped working!!! i will call hp again tomorrow, but in the meantime can someone pls shed some light on this issue... i have even stopped playing games since 3 months and just use the laptop occasionally...

Top Bottom