the HP dv6-6017tx, 6121tx, 6140tx and dv6-6165tx thread

rider

as Kratos
Which cooling pad should I buy for my dv6 6121tx?? I earlier had a Coolermaster Notepal E1 Cooler Master NotePal E1 Cooling Pad | Cooling Pad | Flipkart.com,but last night,it burnt on its own(white fumes started coming,i thought that my lappy is on fire :p)
I am eyeing Cooler Master Notepal Infinite Evo Cooling Pad | Cooling Pad | Flipkart.com model.How is it??

Better to try some chinese brands this time.

Gollum

Collector
Just wanted to ask a question here.
If you guys call CC, do you get effective and prompt service or do you have to make multiple calls to get service.
Also, do you guys have to wait in line for a long time for the next available engineer on the phone?

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
I have always got a prompt service response with a single call;mostly next day onsite visits.
No waiting in line on phone for a long time...2 min maxm.

Chinmay91

Insomniac
Today, I opened HP Connection Manager on my dv6-6121tx running Win7 64 bit and noticed that Wi-Fi(Wireless LAN) has been disabled by Mobility Center.However, Bluetooth connection is enabled.
When I open Windows Mobility Center, there is no option to change Wireless Network Settings.
Other than than Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, Ethernet(Wired LAN) is displayed as "Not Connected" in the HP Connection Manager.
I have already tried these steps before posting, but was unsuccessful:
1.I opened Network and Sharing Center and in "Change Adapter Settings" I tried to enable the Wireless Network Connection but it is not gtting enabled.
2.Tried to see if there was any option to enable/disable Wlans in BIOS, but there were none.
Also, I have installed EasyTether which facilitates USB Network connectivity for Android phones.
Please suggest some solutions for this problems.
Regards.

rider

as Kratos
Just wanted to ask a question here.
If you guys call CC, do you get effective and prompt service or do you have to make multiple calls to get service.
Also, do you guys have to wait in line for a long time for the next available engineer on the phone?

hp CC is awesome they take calls in a minute or so and send the engineer on the next day even for a minor problem. :-D

rider

as Kratos
how long should i wait before i get the first servicing/cleaning done or my laptop (its 2 months old). should i wait for 6 months??

I bought my laptop 7 months ago, and i didn't clean yet from inside. Thinking to call them.
Keep in mind opening the laptop much can generate the chances of problem.

Gollum

Collector
Today, I opened HP Connection Manager on my dv6-6121tx running Win7 64 bit and noticed that Wi-Fi(Wireless LAN) has been disabled by Mobility Center.However, Bluetooth connection is enabled.
When I open Windows Mobility Center, there is no option to change Wireless Network Settings.
Other than than Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, Ethernet(Wired LAN) is displayed as "Not Connected" in the HP Connection Manager.
I have already tried these steps before posting, but was unsuccessful:
1.I opened Network and Sharing Center and in "Change Adapter Settings" I tried to enable the Wireless Network Connection but it is not gtting enabled.
2.Tried to see if there was any option to enable/disable Wlans in BIOS, but there were none.
Also, I have installed EasyTether which facilitates USB Network connectivity for Android phones.
Please suggest some solutions for this problems.
Regards.

do a power drain and check the drivers, if they are visible in device manager. Have you installed th hp wireless assistant?

rider

as Kratos
Which chinese brands???Will they be effective in cooling??

lol, I mean to say chinese local brands no specific name. It is just a rotary fan to cool the bottom of the laptop it will work fine. And you can save many bucks, as you said your pricey cooler master blown out.

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
how long should i wait before i get the first servicing/cleaning done or my laptop (its 2 months old). should i wait for 6 months??

Depends upon your operating conditions.As per me,2 months is a bit too early. Try servicing it at around 4-5 months. Dont forget to reapply thermal paste on GPU and CPU. You can also do it as a DIY,its pretty simple.The only tool you require is a tester.!!!:lol:
I have attached a link,which will entirely guide you though the process.Trust me,its no hard work.

Manuals for HP Pavilion dv6-6121tx Entertainment Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

Download the 6.19MB file.Its same for all of dv6 6000 series

rider

as Kratos
Depends upon your operating conditions.As per me,2 months is a bit too early. Try servicing it at around 4-5 months. Dont forget to reapply thermal paste on GPU and CPU. You can also do it as a DIY,its pretty simple.The only tool you require is a tester.!!!:lol:
I have attached a link,which will entirely guide you though the process.Trust me,its no hard work.

Manuals for HP Pavilion dv6-6121tx Entertainment Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

Download the 6.19MB file.Its same for all of dv6 6000 series

Do they apply thermal paste of their own or should I buy from market and then call to apply on CPU and clean the fan area?

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
I bought my laptop 7 months ago, and i didn't clean yet from inside. Thinking to call them.
Keep in mind opening the laptop much can generate the chances of problem.

Opening a laptop can generate problem only if its not reassembled properly.And with the link posted above,servicing your laptop really becomes easy.Trust me,I was also nervous in the beginning,but once I did it myself,I am pretty comfortable now.
You need to be careful with two things-
1.Keep screws safely.
2.Reapply screws as mentioned in the manual.I mean dont mix 6mm,4mm or 10mm screws.It will cut the thread.

@rider
They will never come to your home for cleaning,unless you call them for some other work.For me,I didnt allow the engineer to use his locally sourced Rs.20 thermal paste.I used my Arctic Silver 5,and after curing period,the results have been awesome.
And for you,my advice would be to do the service ASAP.Because,after about 8 months,when I opened my laptop's fan area for the first time,I was shocked.The fan was as dusty as it could get,with cat fur and wool sort of stuffs sticking near the vent,completely blocking the area.When I removed the heatsink,there was no trace of thermal paste on GPU or CPU;It had all dried away.

Last edited:

rider

as Kratos
Opening a laptop can generate problem only if its not reassembled properly.And with the link posted above,servicing your laptop really becomes easy.Trust me,I was also nervous in the beginning,but once I did it myself,I am pretty comfortable now.
You need to be careful with two things-
1.Keep screws safely.
2.Reapply screws as mentioned in the manual.I mean dont mix 6mm,4mm or 10mm screws.It will cut the thread.

@rider
They will never come to your home for cleaning,unless you call them for some other work.For me,I didnt allow the engineer to use his locally sourced Rs.20 thermal paste.I used my Arctic Silver 5,and after curing period,the results have been awesome.

I can't find any indian seller of arctic silver 5 paste on ebay.in. Should I use Cooler Master IC Value V1

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
Try TheItDepot.I buy it from there @ Rs.550.
Alternatively,you may also go for MX-4,but its damn costly @1900 bucks.
AS-5 is pretty good;in fact one of the best..

Gollum

Collector
generally on a system board replacement the replacement board from hp has the original thermal paste. If they find that you used a 3rd party thermal paste on your computer then they would deny service on your computer for heating issues or other h/w related issues caused due to thermal paste.

rider

as Kratos
generally on a system board replacement the replacement board from hp has the original thermal paste. If they find that you used a 3rd party thermal paste on your computer then they would deny service on your computer for heating issues or other h/w related issues caused due to thermal paste.

Thanks to tell me about that, I'm not applying any thermal paste now. :-o

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
@gOLLUM
I agree,but then just because of that,I wont allow my laptop to run hotter.And thats the beauty of on-site services these days,They will only send an engineer,not a robot;You behave properly with him and it takes him nothing to generate a false report. :-D. He writes that everything is normal,and everything becomes normal.!!!

@ Rider
Dont worry bro.That hp approved thermal paste comes only with replacement boards.The service centres dont have them and use aftermarket cheap ones when you give them for service.:evil: If hp starts voiding the warranty,then I guess only a handful of laptops will be left with warranty.Moreover,I had a chat online with an hp engineer,he himself suggested replacing original paste with market ones if the unit heats up.He used the term" 3rd Party".

Last edited:

samudragupta

Youngling
thank you friends for all this handy information.. ya i agree with swiftshashi that behaving well with the engineer can yield co-operation...
@ rider i found this link for artic thermal paste Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound -30gram-RXL | eBay
damn its too expensive...

and another one
Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound 12g/3cc-UTP | eBay

rider

as Kratos
@gOLLUM
I agree,but then just because of that,I wont allow my laptop to run hotter.And thats the beauty of on-site services these days,They will only send an engineer,not a robot;You behave properly with him and it takes him nothing to generate a false report. :-D. He writes that everything is normal,and everything becomes normal.!!!

@ Rider
Dont worry bro.That hp approved thermal paste comes only with replacement boards.The service centres dont have them and use aftermarket cheap ones when you give them for service.:evil:

Okay!! But how is cooler master v1 paste? its costing me 285 bucks

thank you friends for all this handy information.. ya i agree with swiftshashi that behaving well with the engineer can yield co-operation...
@ rider i found this link for artic thermal paste Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound -30gram-RXL | eBay
damn its too expensive...

and another one
Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound 12g/3cc-UTP | eBay

LOL, both are sellers of Chicago, US. Their is no Indian seller as I mentioned.

Last edited:
Top Bottom