The Complete Smartphone Buyer's Guide

sujoyp

Grand Master
Re: Mobile Reference Guide: January 2012

Nice compilation SAM good work :)

just found 2 corrections under 15-20k section
1. Defy+ screen resolution is 480X854 and not 480x584 as written there.
2. u have named both sections as android smartphone, one should be non-android ;)

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

Great work Sam. Some points-

1) In 15-20K section, you've written Non-Andriod section as "Andriod"

2) What about adding a column for internal memory, especially in sub 20k section as they do matter.

3) In second line from top- spelling of PRICELIST. :))

4) One more suggestion of picking 1 or 2 better phones as suggestions in each section. You can take members help who own them.

5) A section of info about mobile processors, chipsets, and graphics would help users a lot.! :)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

but you already own one. New mobile for whom?

That one is for a friend/colleague, who maybe secretly hate his Symbian whenever he see my Android!! :D

(no offence to Symbian users...)

thanks everyone. will update it whenever necessary but the last part (25K & higher priced mobile) will take a week. college starts from tomorrow & hence less free time.

It's sad that you won't be able to post regular here, specially since I have just started to get my hands dirty with rooting and all...
Already read completely your "O1 Review" thread and reached Page 7 of "The Optimus One Thread"... :(

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

Nice compilation SAM good work :)

just found 2 corrections under 15-20k section
1. Defy+ screen resolution is 480X854 and not 480x584 as written there.
2. u have named both sections as android smartphone, one should be non-android ;)

thanks for pointing the errors. corrected :smile:

Great work Sam. Some points-

1) In 15-20K section, you've written Non-Andriod section as "Andriod"

2) What about adding a column for internal memory, especially in sub 20k section as they do matter.

3) In second line from top- spelling of PRICELIST. :))

4) One more suggestion of picking 1 or 2 better phones as suggestions in each section. You can take members help who own them.

5) A section of info about mobile processors, chipsets, and graphics would help users a lot.! :)

1. corrected.
2. its there for Android mobiles in sub 20k. for the non-Android mobiles, this doesn't really matter i think. i'll check into this.
3. thanks. was a typo.
4. initially i too thought same. but some may ask why i gave preference to one & ignore the other. so i gave a note at the end of each section which describes in simple language what you need to look at when buying a mobile within that budget.
5. yes. that is a nice idea. will surely do some research & add it in coming days. thanks for the tip :smile:

That one is for a friend/colleague, who maybe secretly hate his Symbian whenever he see my Android!! :D

this is specially true for the old Symbian S60s. those can't be compared to Androids at all. even the dumb OS, BADA (no offence to Samsung Wave owners but BADA 1.* is crap) outmatch & outclasses them in looks & usability. Symbian Anna & then Belle has reduced the gap but still lot has to be done.

It's sad that you won't be able to post regular here, specially since I have just started to get my hands dirty with rooting and all...
Already read completely your "O1 Review" thread and reached Page 7 of "The Optimus One Thread"... :(

i will post regularly (but lately). rooting & installing custom rom is fun & easy. just read the important guidelines given in their respective thread. try something random & you may make the mobile unresponsive or at most need to reinstall the rom again.

Awesome sam :)

Repped. :D

TheLetterD

Will Power

Hey, I know this is asking a lot from you but cant we get the Quadrant scores of the Android Phones with Stock and Custom ROM from some website ?

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

not possible. every mobile have many roms. some have rom in hundreds. then add overclock & you are looking at around 100 different configurations per mobile. also quadrant will always be high for custom rom even for slower mobiles. have seen Galaxy5 score around 1.5k in quadrant. outmatching almost all highend mobiles with stock rom.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

^ A simple Google search could have saved you a lot of embarrassment! :)
But if you got genuinely failed in search attempts, here is the app, which is in question here...
*market.android.com/details?id=com.aurorasoftworks.quadrant.ui.standard&hl=en

It's a benchmarking app, which gauges the capabilities of your android phone, with respect to other phones.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

^Well I don't feel embarassed to ask anything upto some limit. :) And firstly I was too lazy to search :p Also I guesses it to be something like that (it was clear from above convo), but just wanted to be sure. :)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

No hard feeling dude.. just felt like a little trolling.. thats all... :D

Btw, @Sam: I am finding Motorola Defy to be a good phone for my friend, as long as he doesn't have that "brand" mania. (He says he don't like "Motorola" and that he have used "Motorola Phones", don't know how to remove the mania from him).

Just wanted to confirm one thing. Does Motorola Defy really have 1.3 Gb as internal memory? Cause, GSMArena says it has 2 GB!

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

Btw, @Sam: I am finding Motorola Defy to be a good phone for my friend, as long as he doesn't have that "brand" mania. (He says he don't like "Motorola" and that he have used "Motorola Phones", don't know how to remove the mania from him).

next option he'll consider is Galaxy Ace. show him the chart of 10-15k mobile. specially ram. moreover Defy have 2 times the resolution of Ace. if not Defy, Xperia Mini Pro can be brought from letsbuy for just 13.2k after applying coupon code.

Just wanted to confirm one thing. Does Motorola Defy really have 1.3 Gb as internal memory? Cause, GSMArena says it has 2 GB!

2Gb rom. 1.3Gb free for apps :smile:

rajan1311

Padawan

great work buddy...

would be hard to keep it updated though, with all the falling prices :)

PS: Just wanted to add, Lumia 710 (and some other W7.5 phones) come with 25GB of cloud storage, which is actually pretty useful...

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

LG & Sony Ericsson mobiles too have this facility provided by BOX. its like offering a memory card but lot safe but those are excluded. different shops offer different schemes at different times.

would be hard to keep it updated though, with all the falling prices :)

as it is not a pricelist, so can be updated in a monthly manner. all i need to do remove old mobiles replaced by newly launched ones. if there is a major pricecut, mobiles will get shift from 1 section to another :smile:

ofabhishek

║ Green World ║

Some real nice work done by Sam without expecting any profit, hats off....

i hope guys in need of buying new phones go through it before creating individual thread...

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

Some real nice work done by Sam without expecting any profit, hats off....

thanks & the main reason behind all these effort is what you have already said. also at times its easy to check mobile within a budget by opening this thread rather than checking flipkart, legstuy, infibeam, etc where a lot of information are either missing or scattered.

clmlbx

Technomancer

Nice Guide Sam, but Galaxy R should be in 15-20K mark last heard price were dropped and now it is under 20K rolling around 19K something

Top Bottom