The Complete Smartphone Buyer's Guide

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Re: Mobile Buyer's Guide

Which one you suggest ? Moto X is good but with dual core. Does it really matters ?

AnandTech | Moto X Review

If we look at SunSpider, Octane and Kraken, you wouldn’t be able to tell that the Moto X used a dual-core Krait 300 vs. a quad-core offering. In all three benchmarks the Moto X delivers performance similar to the quad-core HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S 4 (US model) despite having half the cores.

bubusam13

Human

Ok I am convinced with Moto X. I one thing more important for a phone. How is the call quality ? I heard Moto G call quality is rated 5/10 :-(

Don't know about call quality but your voice will be clear cuz they won't put a cheap mic for their active voice processing
Also it must be 5/10 when considering it as a flagship
It has more than 2 cores but only 2 are dedicated for application processing. It has custom x8 chip which has low power consuming cores of which one is for active notifications and one for active voice
Buy the phone, you wont be sad
It will be like living in the future

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent

Don't know about call quality but your voice will be clear cuz they won't put a cheap mic for their active voice processing
Also it must be 5/10 when considering it as a flagship
It has more than 2 cores but only 2 are dedicated for application processing. It has custom x8 chip which has low power consuming cores of which one is for active notifications and one for active voice
Buy the phone, you wont be sad
It will be like living in the future

+1 for this

To mention it has one of the best voice assistants!
Way better than SIRI.

kaz

right here

LG L70 Dual and L90 Dual running Android 4.4 now available in India for Rs. 14500 and Rs. 17499

Moto G has a new rival....G2 mini might come soon

d3b

ALIEN_NiBuRu_11111000010
Re: Mobile Reference Guide: January 2012

guyz, need your help buying a smartphone.:shock:

1. Budget? 7k to 8k or 8.5k(at most)
2. Display type and size? minimum 5 Inch
3. Form Factor? BAR(square preferrable, not those rounded corners), Full Touch, Slim (optional)
4. Preferred choice of brand? Karbon, Micromax, Videocon or any with good config.
5. What camera option you want? at least 5 MP but WITH flash
6. Preferred operating system? Android 4.2
7. Preferred connectivity options (3G, Wifi etc): 3G +2G+edge(3G always not available) , (Operating Freq- quadband preferrable), hotspot
8. Primary use of handset: Surfing, Music, Music Productivity Apps, PDF, Playing HD videos
9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?
Datawind Pocketsurfer 3G5 Black
iBall Andi 4.5 Ripple 3G Black
XOLO Q1000 Opus Black
Micromax Canvas Juice A77
Micromax Canvas Fun A76 (Red)
10. I am a bass lover. I connect my phones with woofer & high quality bass headsets.
11. Any other criteria: 1 GB Ram Preferrable, Will use lots of APKs (will use microSD for that purpose), Small games, not a Gamer really.
12. USB OTG Support will be nice.
13. Battery backup should be atleast OK.
14. Less Heat is more green.:cool:

Note: My pin is 731204, and lots of gadgets online are not available here.:aaargh:

Zen Ultraphone 701HD
Is the best steal
And snapdeal has COD at your pincode too

Check here
m.snapdeal.com/product/zen-ultrafone-701hd/1354945

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Re: Mobile Buying Guide

Gionee M2 @ 10k is best phone in its price category with a huge battery of 4200mah.

Link: *www.amazon.in/Gionee-M2-Black/dp/B...UTF8&qid=1395986088&sr=1-1&keywords=gionee+m2

d3b

ALIEN_NiBuRu_11111000010

WOW, that's a good phone.:shock: But the Operating Freq is GSM 900/1800 MHz. I've experienced "no tower" and "network searching" using dual band mobiles.:-? Has anyone tested this phone. How is the signal quality of this phone?

Gary M

Broken In

All tech critics are nowadays claiming that Samsung "LACKS INNOVATION "

I know these are a bit old to quote.

But I have to agree with that statement, I've heard a lot of people say the Samsung Galaxy S2 was the last unique phone Samsung has ever released. The S3 was fine for me and I loved the increase in Size, the S4 was brilliant because I got enticed by all the little futuristic things it could do. Therefore i bought the thing, using a phone without touching it, looking away and having it pause. It was pretty brilliant.

Then Samsung announced the S5, and I can't even explain how disappointing that was for me because it's off the scale. I partly blame people who made exaggerated rumors and Samsung for perpetuating them. Samsung had said it is going back to basics because their phones have been too similar to each other and that was probably the biggest thing people complained about for the S4, which led me to believe the rumors about the new design and a new user interface. But no, touchwiz lives on within Samsung and it's still a rectangular oval shaped phone with the same things it's done before and a few new useless tricks up its sleeve.

I say " useless tricks " because I also feel Samsung's Marketing was WAY OFF with this phone. They probably ran a Survey in the United States of America for what consumers wanted in a new phone and they let those consumers decide for the whole world what it wants from the new Galaxy which is nonsense because I am not into exercising to the point where I need a phone and watch that will help me exercise. I have a fitness trainer for a reason. I am not some guy in New York who takes jogs in Central Park everyday and so forth and it feels to me that this phone was created exactly for these types of people and neglects the rest of us or renders us as less important for the purpose of that phone. Thus me seeing it and rendering it as useless, their marketing department missed the mark completely here. At least release a sports edition of the phone that's focused for your exercising fanatics. Don't make it a general product.

Thus I am leaving Android for iOS, Apple has the same Hardware design year in year out but at least there is something new you can look forward to in the software that is tailored for EVERYBODY and not a specific consumer in the market. Also it is economically sound to be with Apple as opposed to Samsung because as opposed to Samsung releasing at least 5 new phones every year, you will spend much less buying 1 phone in a space of 2 years which is Apple's release duration if I'm not Mistaken. Initial release that is and not ad on's

I'm also disappointed with S5, I personally don't like it (or Z2, due to size)

Z1 is a very big phone (I've used Z which was big, Z1 is bigger)

To clear few things, except those at TDF, no one would say Samsung has bad resale value(most of their phones suck, that's true)
S4 doesn't lag at all. I've used my friend's S4 many times. Even my N4 seems to lag, if I continuously use it without restarting for 3-4 days.
I always advise my friends to restart their phones once every two days atleast.
As far as delicacy is concerned, all phones are delicate. Everyone uses a case for the same reason. My friend's S4 has fallen down few times, w/o case, but there are no cracks, just scratches.

Overrated ?? Ofcouse, its due to Samsung's marketing strategy.
Can't comment on radiation much, but its SAR value is approx same as N5

Brand value ? Samsung has much better after sales than HTC........ My friend's One V got few problems with earpiece about 6 months ago, he couldn't find service centre nearby ...... Durgapur has service centres of every other brand even MMX, Spice n all

As far as sub 24k is concerned, I would recommend Xperia ZR or ZL over Gionee, due to servicing issues

To make it clear, is's OP's decision, if he wants a performance phone or all round multimedia phone.

- - - Updated - - -

Upgradable to 4.4

I agree with this, I have an S4 and it's not as bad as depicted above. But I'm extremely disappointed with Samsung.

d3b

ALIEN_NiBuRu_11111000010
Re: Mobile Reference Guide: January 2012

guyz, need your help buying a smartphone.:shock:

1. Budget? 7k to 8k or 8.5k(at most)
2. Display type and size? minimum 5 Inch
3. Form Factor? BAR(square preferrable, not those rounded corners), Full Touch, Slim (optional)
4. Preferred choice of brand? Karbon, Micromax, Videocon or any with good config.
5. What camera option you want? at least 5 MP but WITH flash
6. Preferred operating system? Android 4.2
7. Preferred connectivity options (3G, Wifi etc): 3G +2G+edge(3G always not available) , (Operating Freq- quadband preferrable), hotspot
8. Primary use of handset: Surfing, Music, Music Productivity Apps, PDF, Playing HD videos
9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?

10. I am a bass lover. I connect my phones with woofer & high quality bass headsets.
11. Any other criteria: 1 GB Ram Preferrable, Will use lots of APKs (will use microSD for that purpose), Small games, not a Gamer really.
12. USB OTG Support will be nice.
13. Battery backup should be atleast OK.
14. Less Heat is more green.:cool:

Note: My pin is 731204, and lots of gadgets online are not available here.:aaargh:

Budget increased to 9k. any more suggestions? Will buy today from local market. Sold old mobiles via olx.:ssshhh: Need a mobile now, urgent.:hyper:

- - - Updated - - -

Budget increased to 9k. any more suggestions? Will buy today from local market. Sold old mobiles via olx.:ssshhh: Need a mobile now, urgent.:hyper:
I finally bought Gionee G3 Gpad (white) from local store for Rs 9250. I bought this for following reasons-

i)Quad core MediaTek MT6589, Cortex A7 1.2 GHz
ii)PowerVR Series5XT GPU
iii)GSM-850/900/1800/1900 MHz, UMTS-900/2100 MHz
iv)13.97cm (5.5″) screen
v)GPRS, EDGE, 3G
vi)5.0 Mega AF, Auto focus, LED flash
vii)Android OS, v4.2 Jelly bean
viii)High quality Flip-cover+ 2 high quality screen protector bundled

The two things I sacrificed are display resolution and 512 MB RAM, battery capacity is low-2250mAH.
But otherwise the specs looks good to me, and it has most of the things I needed. Camera is good too.

Just need to know, is E-Compass ok for accurate location? A-GPS needs mobile data. Can I have offline navigation without using mobile data?

Shah

Cyborg Agent

[MENTION=88006]sam[/MENTION]: In post #5, the link of HTC Desire 310 is wrong. Correct it ASAP.

kaz

right here

+1 for Amazon, Flipkart, Snapdeal and Ebay only if you read their listing correctly :)

Top Bottom