The Complete Smartphone Buyer's Guide

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Re: Mobile Buying Guide

2 skilled men will get more work done than 2 gigantic apes ;)

Cortex A5 & A7 are designed for low power and low performance. Think of A5 & A7 as desktop Intel Atoms. You can force them to run at 2Ghz yet Core i3 ULV (Ultra Low Voltage) that usually clock at ~1.6Ghz will thrash them in competition.

found something that may help you out:
*images.anandtech.com/doci/4991/Screen%20Shot%202011-10-19%20at%2012.30.41%20PM.png
source: ARM's Cortex A7: Bringing Cheaper Dual-Core & More Power Efficient High-End Devices. Anand compiled the whole info into a surprisingly small article. This is far from full but gives an excellent overview.

And as a side note, AMD Bobcat which has a clock speed of 1-1.6Ghz beats the crap out of most Atom, even with dual core + HT stuff because Atom (till now) is in order execution whereas Bobcat or netbook APU is out of order. Same is true for Krait/A15 vs Cortex A5/A7 stuff in a nutshell.

Superayush

Tech lover

Just a query Sam if big.little is supposed to be example of having a soc which is one of the most powerful yet most power efficient ...
Why did samsung galaxy s4 snapdragon version performed better than exynos version of s4 in the battery department?

Source
blog.gsmarena.com/battery-tests-for-exynos-5-octa-powered-samsung-i9500-galaxy-s4-complete-here-are-the-results/

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

Just a query Sam if big.little is supposed to be example of having a soc which is one of the most powerful yet most power efficient ...
Why did samsung galaxy s4 snapdragon version performed better than exynos version of s4 in the battery department?

Source
blog.gsmarena.com/battery-tests-for-exynos-5-octa-powered-samsung-i9500-galaxy-s4-complete-here-are-the-results/

big.LITTLE failed big time in the Exynos 5410 (the one powering the S4 international). i don't know what really went so wrong. maybe they just moved a bit too fast from R&D to production. unlike 5410 which can only use 1 set of cores at a time, 5420 (the one powering Note3) will instead use all 8 cores at the same time (high priority task get routed to Cortex A15. low priority/demand to A7) to solve the switching problem. Cortex A15 was designed as power hungry beast and when you add 4 cores + malfunctioning logic + overclock it by 200-300Mhz over safe recommended values, you are creating problems for everyone and thats what happened with Galaxy S4. on the other hand, Krait was designed to be more power efficient without falling too much behind A15s.

sharang.d

Youngling

2 skilled men will get more work done than 2 gigantic apes ;)

Cortex A5 & A7 are designed for low power and low performance. Think of A5 & A7 as desktop Intel Atoms. You can force them to run at 2Ghz yet Core i3 ULV (Ultra Low Voltage) that usually clock at ~1.6Ghz will thrash them in competition.

found something that may help you out:
*images.anandtech.com/doci/4991/Screen%20Shot%202011-10-19%20at%2012.30.41%20PM.png
source: ARM's Cortex A7: Bringing Cheaper Dual-Core & More Power Efficient High-End Devices. Anand compiled the whole info into a surprisingly small article. This is far from full but gives an excellent overview.

And as a side note, AMD Bobcat which has a clock speed of 1-1.6Ghz beats the crap out of most Atom, even with dual core + HT stuff because Atom (till now) is in order execution whereas Bobcat or netbook APU is out of order. Same is true for Krait/A15 vs Cortex A5/A7 stuff in a nutshell.

Hmm.. I think I understood now. So basically in this case just comparing the operating frequencies of the two processors does not give the correct result.

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

Hmm.. I think I understood now. So basically in this case just comparing the operating frequencies of the two processors does not give the correct result.

thats what mobile companies want you to believe. and thats why i created the SOC chart because even i can't keep track of all the mobile processors and their performance.

Superayush

Tech lover

big.LITTLE failed big time in the Exynos 5410 (the one powering the S4 international). i don't know what really went so wrong. maybe they just moved a bit too fast from R&D to production. unlike 5410 which can only use 1 set of cores at a time, 5420 (the one powering Note3) will instead use all 8 cores at the same time (high priority task get routed to Cortex A15. low priority/demand to A7) to solve the switching problem. Cortex A15 was designed as power hungry beast and when you add 4 cores + malfunctioning logic + overclock it by 200-300Mhz over safe recommended values, you are creating problems for everyone and thats what happened with Galaxy S4. on the other hand, Krait was designed to be more power efficient without falling too much behind A15s.

Ok so one thing I want to ask is see samsung galaxy note 3 is gonna come in 2 variants snapdragon and exynos one.
India is getting exynos one...
Now since u explained that this octa core stuff is incompetent ....should I try to get hold of snapdragon version in case I am interested in buying one ...?

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

Ok so one thing I want to ask is see samsung galaxy note 3 is gonna come in 2 variants snapdragon and exynos one.
India is getting exynos one...
Now since u explained that this octa core stuff is incompetent ....should I try to get hold of snapdragon version in case I am interested in buying one ...?

Exynos has no native LTE support so Samsung is using Snapdragon (with LTE) in US and a few other countries. But no harm in getting Exynos powered Note3 but just wait a month so enthusiast can go deep and find any non working stuff, if any.
Also Exynos 5420 is fine as Samsung said to have fixed it. moreover, you won't get warranty on the snapdragon Note3.

cacklebolt

Ambassador of Buzz

Exynos has no native LTE support so Samsung is using Snapdragon (with LTE) in US and a few other countries. But no harm in getting Exynos powered Note3 but just wait a month so enthusiast can go deep and find any non working stuff, if any.
Also Exynos 5420 is fine as Samsung said to have fixed it. moreover, you won't get warranty on the snapdragon Note3.

Wait.. There's an Exynos powered Note 3 too?

Superayush

Tech lover

ERROR: sd card full ;)

4k has still time to become comfortable around ...btw is nexus 5 gonna launch in India by November this time in India ..I am sure lg and google have realised that a big market for their products is in India.....coz it will be really vfm
(Actually was thinking if buying a new smartphone this oct ;)

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

don't expect Nexus 5 before 2014. sometime around February we should have it. and it'll be in short supply initially for sure. the reason of all these being the rumored Snapdragon 800 chipset which is already in short supply (HTC One Max has to do with S4 Pro or S600 instead). and as we get everything a little bit late, don't expect Nexus5 in 2013.

and Nexus4 has stopped selling in US. surely LG has shifted/stopped production of Nexus4. my another theory is, Nexus 4 will disappear before it receives a healthy pricecut.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

don't expect Nexus 5 before 2014.

That is kind of a good news for me. I am planning to jump from O1 to Nexus 5 at the start of next year (or even if launches at the end of year). O1 have done its job. And it have done its job good. Now its time to move on... don't you agree? :p

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

That is kind of a good news for me. I am planning to jump from O1 to Nexus 5 at the start of next year (or even if launches at the end of year). O1 have done its job. And it have done its job good. Now its time to move on... don't you agree? :p

i'll am too planning to move on to a Nexus but by 2015. so long the DEVs don't give up, so won't i.

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

Hey Sam,
how's Intex cloud y2??
is it better than xolo a500s??

canvas fun A63 & A500S are safe bet. can't find any info regrading what chipset is powering the Y2. everywhere its just mentioned to be 1.2Ghz dualcore which may also mean Qualcomm's S4 Play which is really weak from both processor as well as GPU side.

gamefreak4770k

Journeyman

canvas fun A63 & A500S are safe bet. can't find any info regrading what chipset is powering the Y2. everywhere its just mentioned to be 1.2Ghz dualcore which may also mean Qualcomm's S4 Play which is really weak from both processor as well as GPU side.

thanks for the info

sharang.d

Youngling

Is this right?
left hand = Mobile component
right hand = Equivalent component in a PC

Chipset = Chipset [eg: H77,Z77, G41, etc]
CPU = CPU [eg: i5-2500k]
GPU = GPU [eg: AMD Radeon HD 7850]

So what about the motherboard?

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

Is this right?
left hand = Mobile component
right hand = Equivalent component in a PC

Chipset = Chipset [eg: H77,Z77, G41, etc]
CPU = CPU [eg: i5-2500k]
GPU = GPU [eg: AMD Radeon HD 7850]

So what about the motherboard?

where? can't get what you are referring to exactly.

if you are talking about mobile motherboard, there is no branded motherboard like laptops. they are all custom made as everything is soldered onto the PCB and manufacturer may add or remove components according to region (baseband, NFC, different camera modules, etc).

Samsung launched Trend Duos here and unlike other regions, downgraded the processor from dualcore to a singlecore. this is why there is no branded motherboard.

Top Bottom