The Complete Smartphone Buyer's Guide

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Re: Mobile Buying Guide

My friend is buying a new phone, after using Samsung Galaxy Y for 1.5 yrs.
But doesn't want to spend much.

After a lot of research, we have decided to go for Huewei Ascend P1 around ~12.5k. Any suggestions if this a good decision? (He dont want to for MM or XOLO, owing to its ASS).

those who don't bother with custom rom or OS updates, P1 is better overall. M has better chipset but falls short of P1 everywhere else.

dtfuser

Broken In

I am not comparing P1 with M as I would echo what Sam said above. But P1 battery is too low, I think. I am thinking of buying Xolo Q1000 or Lava iris 504 Q though it's indain brand.

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

P1 has 1670mah battery but the AMOLED screen is really power efficient when displaying dark patches as it simply turns that pixel off saving power. should last a day under moderate to heavy use.

dtfuser

Broken In

Sam,
What would you suggest, should I go with P1 or should I wait for P1 LTE which huawei site says coming soon with 2000 mAh battery HUAWEI ASCEND P1 LTE (4G) Faster Smartphone | Cloud Plus, - Android 4.0 Ice cream Sandwich ?

The price of P1 LTE may be little more than P1 but I am okay with it if it is below 15 K. I do not want to go with Xperia L or M.

thegrinreaper

Broken In

Sam,
I would really like to suggest giving the LENOVO P780 a position among the top dogs
For 16k (snap deal)
it offer the canvas 4's performance
good camera quality
android 4.2
better than local companies' ASS
and a HUMONGOUS 4000 MaH battery

That battery and respectable specs definitely deserve a top rung (15-20k) range finish.

(please tell me a little more about lenovo's ASS..but I am guessing it would be OK)

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

Sam,
What would you suggest, should I go with P1 or should I wait for P1 LTE which huawei site says coming soon with 2000 mAh battery HUAWEI ASCEND P1 LTE (4G) Faster Smartphone | Cloud Plus, - Android 4.0 Ice cream Sandwich ?

The price of P1 LTE may be little more than P1 but I am okay with it if it is below 15 K. I do not want to go with Xperia L or M.

i think Airtel already launched P1 LTE. it got a better chipset (same as Xperia SP) but i really doubt Huawei is going to sell this one locally. maybe thats why it says coming soon.

Sam,
I would really like to suggest giving the LENOVO P780 a position among the top dogs
For 16k (snap deal)
it offer the canvas 4's performance
good camera quality
android 4.2
better than local companies' ASS
and a HUMONGOUS 4000 MaH battery

That battery and respectable specs definitely deserve a top rung (15-20k) range finish.

(please tell me a little more about lenovo's ASS..but I am guessing it would be OK)

not recommended for power use. but other than that, looks good.

cacklebolt

Ambassador of Buzz

Just one request. Could Sam make a CDMA section too? Some people are interested in them too

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

When will Xperia C be out?My mom wants a new phone!

according to Sony, its launching soon. But on the other hand, Samsung may launch Ace 3 by end of this month.

Just one request. Could Sam make a CDMA section too? Some people are interested in them too

used to list CDMA alongside GSM before removing those as there are hardly any CDMA. will bring back with some modifications.

cacklebolt

Ambassador of Buzz

according to Sony, its launching soon. But on the other hand, Samsung may launch Ace 3 by end of this month.

used to list CDMA alongside GSM before removing those as there are hardly any CDMA. will bring back with some modifications.

Hehe.. ty.. just a small recommendation would do.

sharang.d

Youngling

I want to buy a new phone @ October end. Anything new coming out? Or am I stuck with MMx A116/Xperia M/L/Galaxy Core? :(

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

I want to buy a new phone @ October end. Anything new coming out? Or am I stuck with MMx A116/Xperia M/L/Galaxy Core? :(

Checkout Huawei Ascend P1. It's a phone with Amazing specs. Very thin (7.7mm). And my colleague bought it for just Rs. 11600 from ebay rather than Rs 12490 on FK.

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

Xperia C coming next month. worth the wait. anything that has the Cortex A5 name attached to it must be avoided.

sharang.d

Youngling

Checkout Huawei Ascend P1. It's a phone with Amazing specs. Very thin (7.7mm). And my colleague bought it for just Rs. 11600 from ebay rather than Rs 12490 on FK.
Noted. 2012 release though. Pretty old! I just didn't come across it cuz I was looking at the tables in this thread and it's not here.

Xperia C coming next month. worth the wait. anything that has the Cortex A5 name attached to it must be avoided.
I hope it's under 15k :D
It's interesting how it has the same CPU and GPU as Micromax A116 :p

Also may I know how/why Snapdragon S4 Plus 1Ghz dualcore (Krait) is more powerful than MediaTek MT6589 1.2Ghz quadcore (Cortex A7) [According to the chart]?. Sure the manufacturer matters but don't the 2x extra cores @ 1.2Ghz(in the MediaTek) count for something?

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

I hope it's under 15k :D
It's interesting how it has the same CPU and GPU as Micromax A116 :p

thats how they managed to keep the cost down.

Also may I know how/why Snapdragon S4 Plus 1Ghz dualcore (Krait) is more powerful than MediaTek MT6589 1.2Ghz quadcore (Cortex A7) [According to the chart]?. Sure the manufacturer matters but don't the 2x extra cores @ 1.2Ghz(in the MediaTek) count for something?

think of Krait as Cortex A15. 2 Cortex A15 will always be better than 4 Cortex A7. Cortex A7 is not even half as fast as Cortex A15 so overall, S4 Plus will get a easy win. But in real life, it mayn't have a really big impact as the GPU in both chipset are quite powerful which matters more nowadays.

two faster cores are still better for most uses than four cores running at lower frequencies.

we are getting more cores because people simply wants them when in realty, dual Krait is more than sufficient for anything other than Full HD resolution, maybe.

Source: A7 SoC Explained

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

^yes and many people falls for the Quad Cores without even considering that Dual Cores also beats QuadCores

mohit9206

Ambassador of Buzz

My friend bought Canvas HD and is very satisfied.He says its very smooth and decent battery life and good camera and nice 720p display.So how does canvas HD compare to XL ?

sharang.d

Youngling

thats how they managed to keep the cost down.
Yeah..

think of Krait as Cortex A15. 2 Cortex A15 will always be better than 4 Cortex A7. Cortex A7 is not even half as fast as Cortex A15 so overall, S4 Plus will get a easy win. But in real life, it mayn't have a really big impact as the GPU in both chipset are quite powerful which matters more nowadays.
All I understand at this point is that I am comparing two processors, one is 1.2Ghz X 4 Cores and the other is 1Ghz X 2 Cores. Let's say I accept that the latter is faster than the former but then what I want to know is what really is the deciding factor if not Ghz and Cores? Is there a difference of thread count(like i5 vs i7[HT])? What exactly is the component which makes the 1Ghz X 2 Cores processor comparatively faster than the 1.2Ghz X 4 Cores one?

two faster cores are still better for most uses than four cores running at lower frequencies.
but how is 1Ghz faster than 1.2GHz?

cacklebolt

Ambassador of Buzz

Yeah..

All I understand at this point is that I am comparing two processors, one is 1.2Ghz X 4 Cores and the other is 1Ghz X 2 Cores. Let's say I accept that the latter is faster than the former but then what I want to know is what really is the deciding factor if not Ghz and Cores? Is there a difference of thread count(like i5 vs i7[HT])? What exactly is the component which makes the 1Ghz X 2 Cores processor comparatively faster than the 1.2Ghz X 4 Cores one?

but how is 1Ghz faster than 1.2GHz?

Most people dont bother about Cortex A?. Cant blame them. Companies market them in such a way that an average buyer is easily influenced.

Top Bottom