Sourav Ganguly should be the captain of the Indian Team?

Who would you choose to be the captain?

• Sourav Ganguly

Votes: 86 65.6%
  • Rahul Dravid

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Any other player

Votes: 14 10.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot
Re: Sourav Ganguly should be the captain of the Indian Team.

here are some more praises.

Sourav Ganguly's 10 year international cricket career could be easily bisected into 2 halves, the pre and the post Y2K eras. The significance of the year 2000 lies not only in the fact that he became the captain of the Indian team but also in the fact that the ICC introduced the one bouncer per over rule in ODIs starting from that year. This introduction of the rule by the ICC had a negative impact on Sourav Ganguly's batting average, which plunged from a high 45.5 before the year 2000 to a low 34.9 between the 5 year period of 2001-2005[2]. Also, against Test playing nations(which included Zimbabwe and Bangladesh), his overall average plunged further down to 30.66, as did his 'away' average which fell to 29. He managed to score only (6) centuries between 2001-2005, of which 3 centuries were against Kenya & 1 was against Namibia.[3] This sudden drop in his batting average against Test playing nations after 2001 was clearly a result of the short pitch stuff he had to encounter from opposition bowlers. As S.Rajesh, the assistant editor of Cricinfo analyzes, Sourav Ganguly has been dismissed numerous times fending off the short ball[4] since 2001 and his average of 11.92 against the short ball has been the lowest among contemporary Indian batsman who played more than 80 ODI matches. The former captain has also been uncomfortable while attempting the 'pull' and the 'hook' shots when bowlers have dug it in short, often lasting less than five(4.89) balls before being dismissed.

source:- WIKIPEDIA AND CRICINFO

LegendKiller

In the zone

vimal_mehrotra said:

Sourav Ganguly's 10 year international cricket career could be easily bisected into 2 halves, the pre and the post Y2K eras. The significance of the year 2000 lies not only in the fact that he became the captain of the Indian team but also in the fact that the ICC introduced the one bouncer per over rule in ODIs starting from that year. This introduction of the rule by the ICC had a negative impact on Sourav Ganguly's batting average, which plunged from a high 45.5 before the year 2000 to a low 34.9 between the 5 year period of 2001-2005[2]. Also, against Test playing nations(which included Zimbabwe and Bangladesh), his overall average plunged further down to 30.66, as did his 'away' average which fell to 29. He managed to score only (6) centuries between 2001-2005, of which 3 centuries were against Kenya & 1 was against Namibia.[3] This sudden drop in his batting average against Test playing nations after 2001 was clearly a result of the short pitch stuff he had to encounter from opposition bowlers. As S.Rajesh, the assistant editor of Cricinfo analyzes, Sourav Ganguly has been dismissed numerous times fending off the short ball[4] since 2001 and his average of 11.92 against the short ball has been the lowest among contemporary Indian batsman who played more than 80 ODI matches. The former captain has also been uncomfortable while attempting the 'pull' and the 'hook' shots when bowlers have dug it in short, often lasting less than five(4.89) balls before being dismissed.

I think you don't need a better proof than that and i am saving ur post for future reference and +ve rep from my side..

OP
soumya

soumya

In the zone

vimal_mehrotra said:
another legend killed :D

this is what wikipedia has to say abt dravid's captaincy!

Rahul Dravid has had a mixed record when leading India in Tests. India lost the Karachi Test in 2006, giving Pakistan the series 1-0. In March 2006, India lost the Mumbai Test, giving England its first Test victory in India since 1985, enabling Flintoff's men to draw the series 1-1. While the loss in Karachi could be put down to several Indian batsmen playing badly, the defeat in Mumbai was arguably the result of Dravid's decision to bowl first on a flat dry pitch which later deteriorated and ended with an Indian collapse in the run chase.

After India failed to qualify for the Finals of the DLF Cup, Indian skipper Rahul Dravid was criticised by former all-rounder Ravi Shastri who said that he was not assertive enough and let Greg Chappell make too many decisionsWhen asked for a response, Dravid said that Shastri, while a 'fair critic', was 'not privy' to the internal decision-making process of the team

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot

you missed the point dude.We all agree that rahul is not a good captain and saurav is a very good at leading.But the point we are trying prove is that to be in the team you must contribute with bat and rahul has the highest test avarage for any indian batsman in the history.

OP
soumya

soumya

In the zone

Ganguly vis-a-vis Dravid as captain in ODIs

Captaincy record Mts Won Lost NR Won% Lost%
Ganguly 146 76 65 5 52.05 44.52
Dravid 53 27 23 3 50.94 43.39
Ganguly(53 matches)53 27 26 0 50.94 49.06

Performance with the bat: Mts Inns NO Runs Hs Avg SR 100 50 0
Ganguly 146 142 11 5082 144 38.79 76.59 11 30 9
Dravid 53 52 7 1823 105 40.51 72.97 2 16 3
Ganguly after 53 matches 53 52 5 2199 144 46.79 77.78 7 12 2

Source: rediff.com

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot

whoa nice point but it is before ganguly's 2-1/2 year demise

oops you forget this
Performance with the bat:
Tests Inns NO Runs Hs Avg sR 100 50 0
Ganguly 49 75 7 2561 144 37.66 50.75 5 13 4
Dravid 17 30 5 1293 146 51.72 40.70 3 8 1
Ganguly 17 28 4 688 98 28.67 48.18 0 3 2
after 17 games.

dont forget he has been selected for tests

Source:rediff.com(the next page to odi record):D

Last edited:

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United

vimal_mehrotra said:

Source: www.greatbong.net

1) Coming to Cricinfo…its an interesting story. When they started targetting Bengali journalists back in 2004 for relentlessly backing Saurav, the accusation was valid. Saurav was like a golden goose on whom the sales of dailies depended. But as you (GB) raised, why were they so peeved that they were backing Saurav. The answer was simple…Ganguly didnt give two hoots to Cricinfo. But Cricinfo’s writers have shown their true colors and alleigances after Dravid’s bad patch. ….I mean…after their allegations they sounded like …”We are high priests of journalism…fearing or favouring none…expect nothing short of objective reporting from us”. That mask has long been swept away …..the Cricinfo- Dravid- Chappell threesome pointed out by GB with customary insightful perspicaciousness….also say minor everyday stuff like turning a blind eye to say stuff like Dravid’s tactical errors after having SA on ropes at Newlands…the match report would have been radically different if you swapped SG and RD as captains.

That brings to the question as to what makes say a Dileep Premachandar or a Anand Vasu’s opinion so heavily discussed compared to say some ever changing TOI correspondent or an IE journalist. The reason is visibility or exposure. Most people outside India who dont see live cricket depend on the speed of the internet to gather their views on what they missed. So they read the bulletins and the “verdicts” and try to visualise what happened on the field. Cricinfo has very slyly carried out a ‘Dravid and Chappell is God” agenda and given a rather distorted (but successful) view of Ganguly is the root of all evil theory. Now whether thats fair or not is another question…but a regular reader knows what these guys are gonna say even before they read the report. Do you read match reports if u see a match telecast…I dont…unless its a great journo or an expert. But Cricinfo is here to stay and so are these men….in a world of outsourcing….the Andrew Millers are slowly gonna be replaced by the new Indian kids …in fact so much so that I seriously think that Jenny Thompson should seriously consider marrying one of these newbies to ensure a long career at Cricinfo. It is upto the reader therefore for discernment when choosing what to read and what not to when reading Cricinfo. I listen to Ian Chappell’s podcast 3 times a day but never go near a Tim De Lisle blog. You decide what you wanna read…but always judge for yourself. There are plenty of websites online which show cricket…and even more which show highlights.

Notice the tone now….”are you trying to say they are not trying their best? ” when Dravid is under the cosh; in stark contrast to the adding-fuel-to-the-fire reports when Ganguly was suffering. Now the roles of the sycophant and the objective person has been reversed in a strange twist of irony.

India always performs badly in SA true….but never this bad in odi’s. I fondly remember the polishings that Sachin, Dravid, Azhar and even the man- who-cant play-fast bowling leftie to bowlers like Pollock or Ntini. Sure we lost….but the batters out there didnt look as impotent as most of them out there now. So let unruly fan behaviour obfuscate the fact that Chappell has achieved very little in his tenure. Criticism is therefore inevitable..especially when its due. You backed a bunch of young players who didnt perform…the tactics didnt come off…unimaginiative captaincy…all these are to be seen. Why should therefore Chappell or Dravid be above criticism ..even if criticism just like “verdicts” dont serve any purpose? I only pray from a WC point of view (as Chappell is immovable till March 2007) India with or without any particular player turns things around from here. Otherwise…its back to square one.

“Kuch to log kahenge,
Logon ka kaam hain kahena,
Choro bekar ki baaton main
Kaheen beet na jaaye Suresh Raina.”

Lol…made my day.

2) I have seen so many instances of Cricinfo’s double standards I have lost count. When Ganguly made his (brief) comeback in Pakistan, they claimed that to accomodate him Dravid had to open the innings, but he got out cheaply & so we lost. Some months later when Dravid opens the innings in ODI’s & we lose, there is not a mention of anything being wrong with that strategy. Why, when India lost to Pak in Bangalore, Cricinfo’s theory was that having someone like Ganguly in the team made all the other batsmen impotent since there was too much pressure on them to succeed. Umm, what about Tendulkar & his failures? India wins the toss in a turning pitch & let’s England bat in Bombay & we get wiped out by what by then has become their second 11. But does Cricinfo criticize Dravid’s stupidity in chosing to field? Then again when Chappell flips a bird to the Calcutta spectators & then brazens it out, Cricinfo doesn’t mind. After all it’s not Ganguly getting into pangas with match referies for slow over rates…

To me Cricinfo has lost all credibility as a trustworthy, independant news source. Unfortunately, I then have to depend on the desi papers for Indian cricket, & they are as bad. At least the Cricinfo guys have their grammar & composition fundas correct!

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS

All those who r SINGING praises of dada's captaincy .......have a look ...and stop ..do not use that agian

RECORDS FOR 1st 50 ODI's

COACHES--------M W L NR
UNDER CHAPPEL----50 26 22 2
UNDER WRIGHT-----50 29 20 1

CAPTAINCY
DRAVID-------------54 27 24 3 Winning %=50.0
GANGULY----------147 76 66 5 Winning %=51.7

SOURCE: TOI

SO how is ganguly better than DRAVID?????:D :D :D :D :D

Really baffles me by height of biasness :x

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot

digitized said:
Source: www.greatbong.net

1) Coming to Cricinfo…its an interesting story. When they started targetting Bengali journalists back in 2004 for relentlessly backing Saurav, the accusation was valid. Saurav was like a golden goose on whom the sales of dailies depended. But as you (GB) raised, why were they so peeved that they were backing Saurav. The answer was simple…Ganguly didnt give two hoots to Cricinfo. But Cricinfo’s writers have shown their true colors and alleigances after Dravid’s bad patch. ….I mean…after their allegations they sounded like …”We are high priests of journalism…fearing or favouring none…expect nothing short of objective reporting from us”. That mask has long been swept away …..the Cricinfo- Dravid- Chappell threesome pointed out by GB with customary insightful perspicaciousness….also say minor everyday stuff like turning a blind eye to say stuff like Dravid’s tactical errors after having SA on ropes at Newlands…the match report would have been radically different if you swapped SG and RD as captains.

That brings to the question as to what makes say a Dileep Premachandar or a Anand Vasu’s opinion so heavily discussed compared to say some ever changing TOI correspondent or an IE journalist. The reason is visibility or exposure. Most people outside India who dont see live cricket depend on the speed of the internet to gather their views on what they missed. So they read the bulletins and the “verdicts” and try to visualise what happened on the field. Cricinfo has very slyly carried out a ‘Dravid and Chappell is God” agenda and given a rather distorted (but successful) view of Ganguly is the root of all evil theory. Now whether thats fair or not is another question…but a regular reader knows what these guys are gonna say even before they read the report. Do you read match reports if u see a match telecast…I dont…unless its a great journo or an expert. But Cricinfo is here to stay and so are these men….in a world of outsourcing….the Andrew Millers are slowly gonna be replaced by the new Indian kids …in fact so much so that I seriously think that Jenny Thompson should seriously consider marrying one of these newbies to ensure a long career at Cricinfo. It is upto the reader therefore for discernment when choosing what to read and what not to when reading Cricinfo. I listen to Ian Chappell’s podcast 3 times a day but never go near a Tim De Lisle blog. You decide what you wanna read…but always judge for yourself. There are plenty of websites online which show cricket…and even more which show highlights.

Notice the tone now….”are you trying to say they are not trying their best? ” when Dravid is under the cosh; in stark contrast to the adding-fuel-to-the-fire reports when Ganguly was suffering. Now the roles of the sycophant and the objective person has been reversed in a strange twist of irony.

India always performs badly in SA true….but never this bad in odi’s. I fondly remember the polishings that Sachin, Dravid, Azhar and even the man- who-cant play-fast bowling leftie to bowlers like Pollock or Ntini. Sure we lost….but the batters out there didnt look as impotent as most of them out there now. So let unruly fan behaviour obfuscate the fact that Chappell has achieved very little in his tenure. Criticism is therefore inevitable..especially when its due. You backed a bunch of young players who didnt perform…the tactics didnt come off…unimaginiative captaincy…all these are to be seen. Why should therefore Chappell or Dravid be above criticism ..even if criticism just like “verdicts” dont serve any purpose? I only pray from a WC point of view (as Chappell is immovable till March 2007) India with or without any particular player turns things around from here. Otherwise…its back to square one.

“Kuch to log kahenge,
Logon ka kaam hain kahena,
Choro bekar ki baaton main
Kaheen beet na jaaye Suresh Raina.”

Lol…made my day.

2) I have seen so many instances of Cricinfo’s double standards I have lost count. When Ganguly made his (brief) comeback in Pakistan, they claimed that to accomodate him Dravid had to open the innings, but he got out cheaply & so we lost. Some months later when Dravid opens the innings in ODI’s & we lose, there is not a mention of anything being wrong with that strategy. Why, when India lost to Pak in Bangalore, Cricinfo’s theory was that having someone like Ganguly in the team made all the other batsmen impotent since there was too much pressure on them to succeed. Umm, what about Tendulkar & his failures? India wins the toss in a turning pitch & let’s England bat in Bombay & we get wiped out by what by then has become their second 11. But does Cricinfo criticize Dravid’s stupidity in chosing to field? Then again when Chappell flips a bird to the Calcutta spectators & then brazens it out, Cricinfo doesn’t mind. After all it’s not Ganguly getting into pangas with match referies for slow over rates…

To me Cricinfo has lost all credibility as a trustworthy, independant news source. Unfortunately, I then have to depend on the desi papers for Indian cricket, & they are as bad. At least the Cricinfo guys have their grammar & composition fundas correct!

so they used some fancy words and you quoted them right.OK cricinfo's writers may be biased but THE FACTS ARE FACTS.

LegendKiller

In the zone

vimal_mehrotra said:
so they used some fancy words and you quoted them right.OK cricinfo's writers may be biased but THE FACTS ARE FACTS.
Are you telling me that you read the whole page??
u need to perform as a player first than only can imagine to be a captain..

Last edited:

soham

In the zone

LegendKiller said:
Are you telling me that you read the whole page??
u need to perform as a player first than only can imagine to be a captain..

And he did. I think action speaks louder than words. Now see even after returning to the team after such a long gap, he still managed to score the highest amongst the indians.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k

fine men...

we heard ur stupid comments against dada....

nw please stop...

well today in a warm up match....i guess u kno...against South africa A....the one agaist india lost a few days back...someone named saurav ganguly scored an 83....and mr sehwag and sahin were gone for 0 and 10 respectively....so it doesnt really matter wat peaple say...dada speaks for himself...and others who speak against dada after he has proved himself are ________ ...i wont use the term...jus fill in the blanks...

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid

DADA will always remain dada .
KUDOS to u dada.

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United

amd64_man2005 said:
fine men...

we heard ur stupid comments against dada....

nw please stop...

well today in a warm up match....i guess u kno...against South africa A....the one agaist india lost a few days back...someone named saurav ganguly scored an 83....and mr sehwag and sahin were gone for 0 and 10 respectively....so it doesnt really matter wat peaple say...dada speaks for himself...and others who speak against dada after he has proved himself are ________ ...i wont use the term...jus fill in the blanks...

sehwag 0 jaffer 0 sachin 10 laxman 23 dhoni 6

Sourav 83

:D:D:D

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS

ALL SUPPORTERS OF DADA....its happy time for u ...alas dada scored...which he didnt do for such along time....so be happy ...as these moments might be few...so learn to enjoy small achivements... ...:D :D :D

LegendKiller

In the zone

Hehehe..:D:D:D Pathan top scored for india with 111 not out and even bhajji scored a fifty...

If people are judging a player by his performance today..then i think pathan not only out scored our "Sorrow" gone-guly(dada,if u call him),but played better than him...:lol::lol:

Also i think this stupid attack did not excite the "legendary" sachin too much and thus decided to give the "wannabe" batsman(s) like sourav/pathan/bhajji to make some runs&name for themselves..:D:D

Also seeing dada's standard in recent times,i don't blame the media and his fans,only happy to see him score against a "B" side..coz they also know,in their hearts,what to expect from "sorrow"..

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS

LegendKiller said:
Hehehe..:D:D:D Pathan top scored for india with 111 not out and even bhajji scored a fifty...

If people are judging a player by his performance today..then i think pathan not only out scored our "Sorrow" gone-guly(dada,if u call him),but played better than him...:lol::lol:

Also i think this stupid attack did not excite the "legendary" sachin too much and thus decided the "wannabes" like sourav to make some name for themselves..:D:D

Also seeing dada's standard in recent times,i don't blame the media and his fans,only happy to see him score against a "B" side..coz they also know,in their hearts,what to expect from "sorrow"..

excellent!!!!

Now i guess PATHAN is best left hander INDIA ever produced as he out scoring dada......this the yard stick na dada supporters r using...so it is correct....:D :D :D

VD17

Journeyman

lol.. all those are just so pathetic lame excuses...
its sad sachin and company couldnt even score well against a 'B' team.. man.. how pathetic is that??!! lol.. goes to show what the BRAND NEW *AD-ORIENTED* SACHIN TENDULKAR & CO. our cricket team possesses.

heh.. whats even more amusing to see is sachin fanboys going blah-blah-blah over his evident miserable performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom