Religion, do we really need it ?

Religion, do we really need it ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tech&ME

Banned
doomgiver said:
muslims dont have that much crap in their islam

And what Taliban does and al-Qaeda do in the name of islam is not CRAP according to you !!

PS : I don't want to get into any arguement with respect to RELIGION as a whole. Because , there are members in the forum from every RELIGION, and pointing toward one particular religion and saying it is GOOD and the other totally CRAP , will not be a appropriate thing to do.

In my eyes, ALL religions teach the same BASIC discipline of life which we all must follow. But this teachings are being de-railed in the present world and so it has become obsolete.

Religion in the present context, has become a tool to fight among ourselves, for some selfish idiotic ideas to gain money and power.

Religion should be totally stopped. NO Religion / No GOD / No fighting.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
do not confuse religion with morality.religion or no religion unless morality is there wars/fighting will happen.

Morality is doing right, no matter what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, no matter what is right." - H. L. Mencken

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Cool blanket assumption there. Which religion a bird follows, which religion an animal follows. I guess they must be living in a world devoid of morality and ethics.

How can you compare human intellect with that of animals or birds? Animals or birds are not capable of sin because they live on instincts. But, humans beings are capable of more.

There is inherent goodness in everyone which speaks louder than what religion teaches or indoctrinate.

True.

Religion is more like tribe where you tribe is more ethical and supreme than others. Given a chance you would promptly wipe out the competition.

That's what people have been led to believe. Note that no religion preaches violence, it is some key individuals who sow the seeds of hatred to satiate their bloodlust or for personal reasons.
Posted via Mobile Device

Here's something for you guys to chew on:
[YOUTUBE]oeLr2oElXHQ[/YOUTUBE]
Posted via Mobile Device

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
//Mod Edit: Added a fifth option in the poll.

Voted for the fifth option and quoting my post again.
Nothing wrong in being religious and practicing your religion.

But there are 4 steps which can transform one into an idiot.

* Conservatism
* Extremism
* Radicalism
* Terrorism

At first, you'll start off being conservative in your beliefs and become sort of narrow minded. You'll dislike other people not from your community or not following your faith or trying to do something progressive or whatever.

Then you'll become an extremist having very very harsh views and trying to force your opinion on others.

Then a radical with demands. And in the end, a terrorist.

This thing is applicable to each and every damned human on this Earth. Worst thing is, humans are actually fighting against terrorism. What we should be fighting against is - conservatism. That's the root. Cutting branches won't do anything.

Conservative politicians embedded in the system with a "vote mobilisation" agenda? That's even worse.

I'll also like to add one more thing - if one is of the opinion that "religion sucks" or "religion should be abolished" or "all worship places to be destoryed" etc. - then he also falls in category 2.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Ok so now its a poll, shud have been is religion relevnt - yes or no
There are other options too, religion but no god
@Faun: yeah donno much about that, theres Jhodha-Ackbar thats the only one I can think of - if the marriage laws are reformed (which is happening) then it will be less of a prolem

Also cant think of any sci-fi or fantasy thats as good as religious texts, and they draw on religious themes in there deepest and darkest momnts, so even if you treat all of it as fiction its still a lot of bang for buck

Shah

Cyborg Agent
IMO, We DO need a Religion. If there is no religion then none of us will be honest. It's the fact. According to me, Each Religion has a set of rules which we all have to follow to live a peaceful life. If everyone in the world follows a single religion then there will be no communal riots or something like that. It's we who have to choose the best Religion which will guide us to live a peaceful life.

I DO agree that there is a Super Natural Power(GOD) above all creatures. But, I don't think there is a relation between God and Religion. God created us and Religion guides us to live in this wonderful world!

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
IMHO, religion is not the problem. The problem is that there are too many of it and, consequently, disagreements are bound to happen. Even in the same religion there tend to be different sects, doctrines and denominations. So, communal strife arises due to misunderstanding and disagreement.

Shah

Cyborg Agent
IMHO, religion is not the problem. The problem is that there are too many of it and, consequently, disagreements are bound to happen. Even in the same religion there tend to be different sects, doctrines and denominations. So, communal strife arises due to misunderstanding and disagreement.

Agreed...!

doomgiver

Warframe
And what Taliban does and al-Qaeda do in the name of islam is not CRAP according to you !!

In my eyes, ALL religions teach the same BASIC discipline of life which we all must follow. But this teachings are being de-railed in the present world and so it has become obsolete.

Religion in the present context, has become a tool to fight among ourselves, for some selfish idiotic ideas to gain money and power.

did i not say that some factions in the islamic sphere are hell bent on taking over power?
did yu even read my post????

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Think of religion like this:

Religion is like different OSs. They all do the same task of running your machine, albeit in their own unique (if not same) ways. The main culprits of strife are the OS vendors (manufacturers) who try to propagate their own OS as superior to every other OS in the market. Sometimes they employ tricks like modifying it to appeal to a wider consumer base. Its the fanboys who then fight.

Tech&ME

Banned
did i not say that some factions in the islamic sphere are hell bent on taking over power?
did yu even read my post????

Yes I read your reply.

But please don't make provocative statements. You may be right, but this discussion is not to determine which religion is good and which is not good. Or which religion's ideology is better than the other.

The discussion should be focused on : DO we need RELIGION at all ? so please stick with this only.
DeSmOnD dAvId said:
Religion is like different OSs. They all do the same task of running your machine, albeit in their own unique (if not same) ways. The main culprits of strife are the OS vendors (manufacturers) who try to propagate their own OS as superior to every other OS in the market. Sometimes they employ tricks like modifying it to appeal to a wider consumer base. Its the fanboys who then fight.

Yes ! People has time and again misused RELIGION as a tool for their selfish deeds.

Conclusion:

There is no harm in having a Religion, no harm in praying to God. Just don;t be a moron and think that you are something superior because of your religion . Live and let live. And this:

ico said:
Nothing wrong in being religious and practicing your religion.

But there are 4 steps which can transform one into an idiot.

* Conservatism
* Extremism
* Radicalism
* Terrorism

At first, you'll start off being conservative in your beliefs and become sort of narrow minded. You'll dislike other people not from your community or not following your faith or trying to do something progressive or whatever.

Then you'll become an extremist having very very harsh views and trying to force your opinion on others.

Then a radical with demands. And in the end, a terrorist.

This thing is applicable to each and every damned human on this Earth. Worst thing is, humans are actually fighting against terrorism. What we should be fighting against is - conservatism. That's the root. Cutting branches won't do anything.

Conservative politicians embedded in the system with a "vote mobilisation" agenda? That's even worse.

I'll also like to add one more thing - if one is of the opinion that "religion sucks" or "religion should be abolished" or "all worship places to be destoryed" etc. - then he also falls in category 2.

KDroid

Cyborg Agent
We might not feel the need for religion now. But, when I am going to die, I'd like to hope that there is a place I'd be going where there is no more suffering and pain, instead of a void, cataclysmic collapse of existence, which it actually is.

A little digression.

This means that you are denying the existence & permanence of soul. There've been several experiments that support the existence of soul.

Flash

Lost in speed
Religion is an invisible chain spun by some poeple to disciplinise the people to do good things. God is just an imaginative entity, to make & believe the religion.

As there are different OS'es(religions), there will be different machines ie., Mac/PC (Gods in their own perspective :D)

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
hmm

this guy is a british economist trying to find out what makes us unhappy

Stuart Jeffries talks to Professor Richard Layard on the key to happiness | Life and style | The Guardian

basically religion is linked to being in control, of both your lives and emotions, which just keeps the religious more happy
"Bhutan seems much happier than countries that have a materialist rather than moral ethos. Relationships are rather equal, there's very little status anxiety."

Top Bottom