Reasons for a Mac user to make the switch to Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
You can legally install all proprietory softwares on any distro, unless there are restrictions in your country eg. USA, no bother here in India. But they can't be bundled along with the distro.
Almost all the features you mentioned have some counterparts in Linux and they've been listed by me and eddie. Maybe a few here and there are missing. But, same goes vice versa.

mediator

Technomancer
aryayush said:
So what? You may not want them but most people do. And if you use a Mac once, you will be bored by the bland interface of Windows and Linux. You won't be saying you don't want those features once you have witnessed them. Yes, it's possible to enable some of those effects on Linux too, but it is a very demanding procedure and most users would just end up trashing their operating system while trying to enable those effects.
Yea I agree most people want it but it doesn't really interest me. Neways I have googled a lot for images of mac,linux,windows. But I really didn't find how mac's desktop/interface looked better than window's or Linux's. U may post the best desktop screenshot of Mac here if u think it can change my opinion.

aryayush said:
Yes, Macs lack in the gaming department, no doubt - but Linux users aren't better off either.
Thats correct, but Linux is surely improving! See some nice games posted by @subratabera here => *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41048

Neways what I meant here was, if Mac wants to see large number of users, then ofcors Gaming is one of the most important field it shud be strong in and linux being free is achieving new milestones in gaming department too.

aryayush said:
OK. I'll do that. Installing Ubuntu on Parallels using a disk image stored on the hard drive is hardly a fifteen minute job.
Yea please do so and update the apt-get before posting the results! Remember Ubuntu is debian based which means it can use the packages from debian's repositories tooo! So u may take a look at debian's repositories toooo.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
OK. Here's what I found:

Ubuntu = Tiger equivalents
Gnome < Finder
Archive Manager > Built-in (limited)
Calculator (lacks Paper Tape and Conversion tools) < Calculator
Character Map > NIL
Dictionary (not system wide) < Dictionary
Disk Usage Analyzer < System Monitor and Disk Utility
Take Screenshot (have to resort to using the Terminal for advanced functions) < Built-in and Preview
Terminal = Terminal
Text Editor (only plain text documents; no customisation) < TextEdit (not tabbed)
F-Spot Photo Manager < iPhoto
GIMP Image Editor > NIL
gThumb Image Viewer (lacks support for PDF documents) < Preview
XSane Image Scanner (limited to input from scanner) < Image Capture
Ekiga Softphone > NIL
Evolution Mail = Mail
Firefox Web Browser > Safari
Gaim Internet Messenger (lacks audio/video conferencing) < iChat (lacks support for most networks)
Terminal Server Client (WTF is this anyway!) <> ???
Openoffice.org Database > NIL
Openoffice.org Presentation > NIL
Openoffice.org Spreadsheet > NIL
Openoffice.org Word Processor > TextEdit (severely limited)
Movie Player (plays nothing) < QuickTime Player and iTunes
Rhtythmbox Music Player (plays nothing; lacks support for podcasts, TV shows, etc.) < iTunes and QuickTime Player
Serpentine Audio CD Creator < GarageBand and iTunes
Sound Juicer CD Extractor = iTunes
Sound Recorder (severely limited) < GarageBand

Tiger = Ubuntu equivalents
Finder > Gnome
Address Book > ???
Automator > NIL
Calculator > Calculator (lacks Paper Tape and Conversion tools)
Comic Life > NIL
Dashboard > NIL
Dictionary > Dictionary (not system wide)
DVD Player > NIL
Font Book > Character Map (severely limited)
Front Row > NIL
GarageBand > Serpentine Audio CD Creator and Sound Recorder (severely limited)
iCal > ???
iChat (lacks support for most networks) > Gaim Instant Messenger (lacks audio/video conferencing)
iDVD > NIL
Image Capture > XSane Image Scanner (limited to input from scanners)
iMovie HD > NIL
iPhoto > F-Spot Photo Manager
iSync > Various applications (very limited)
iTunes > Rhtythmbox Music Player (plays nothing; lacks support for podcasts, TV shows, etc.)
iWeb > NIL
Mail = Evolution Mail
OmniOutliner > NIL
Photo Booth > NIL
Preview > gThumb Image Viewer (lacks support for PDF documents)
QuickTime Player > Movie Player (plays nothing)
Safari < Firefox Web Browser
Sherlock > NIL
Stickies > NIL
TextEdit (not tabbed) > Text Editor (only plain text documents; no customisation)

Legend
??? - Not found
<> - Undecided
= - Equal
Worse < Better

Yes, you cannot work with your Excel, Powerpoint and Access documents and cannot put yourself next to Aishwarya Rai on a default installation of Mac OS X but you can do pretty much everything else you can do on a default installation of Ubuntu. However, there are a lot of bundled applications in Mac OS X, the equivalents of which are nowhere to be seen on Ubuntu. Add to this the user interface of the Macintosh and you have a clear winner. :)

I did this application-by-application matchup only because mediator and subratabera wanted it. However, I do not believe that this is the correct way of comparing two operating systems because most applications are either available for all platforms or have sustainable alternatives. Two OSes should be compared on the basis of the user interface and intuitiveness, and the Macintosh has a clear lead in the department.

mediator

Technomancer
aryayush said:
Yes, you cannot work with your Excel, Powerpoint and Access documents and cannot put yourself next to Aishwarya Rai on a default installation of Mac OS X but you can do pretty much everything else you can do on a default installation of Ubuntu. However, there are a lot of bundled applications in Mac OS X, the equivalents of which are nowhere to be seen on Ubuntu. Add to this the user interface of the Macintosh and you have a clear winner.
That was an expected verdict! But i guess there are flaws in ur comparison! For various "dvd" containing lines u have Xine,mplayer,VLC player etc instead of which u marked with NIL! If propreitary Mac doesn't have excel,word etc i.e major things an end-users need on default installation, then in free Linux OS some missing codecs shouldn't bother u either!

The places where u have marked with "plays nothng", it seems u gave ur general verdict without exploring the Linux world. Install the codecs too that are there in UBUNTU's repositories and then compare again. It seems u didn't really explored the UBUNTU repositories. Also in the next post of urs, please describe about the functionality of corresponding software on Mac so that I and all the people here can also give their verdict. So, check Ubuntu's repository again, see the codecs there. Also take a look at debians repositories.

Also u didn't post some impressive screenshot of Mac and its interfaces. Please do so and post the best screenshot that u can!

Neways still I'm talking about free linux and not about propreitary linux.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
mediator said:
That was an expected verdict! But i guess there are flaws in ur comparison! For various "dvd" containing lines u have Xine,mplayer,VLC player etc instead of which u marked with NIL! If propreitary Mac doesn't have excel,word etc i.e major things an end-users need on default installation, then in free Linux OS some missing codecs shouldn't bother u either!
Well, I did say that comparing applications would not really help determine which OS was better. When comparing default installations, Mac OS X Tiger bundles much more software than Ubuntu and that is what I have demonstrated here.
As for Excel, Word, etc. being major things and DVD playing capabilities secondary, that depends from person-to-person. I, for one, have never used Excel or Access. And I do not need Powerpoint or Word's functionality because TextEdit suffices my needs. However, I play DVDs on a regular basis and that is a very essential requirement as far as I am concerned. Yes, maybe you have a job where you have to use Excel a lot and you are not much of a movie watcher. In that case, the scenario will be the opposite. And you can always install OpenOffice on a Mac too.

mediator said:
The places where u have marked with "plays nothng", it seems u gave ur general verdict without exploring the Linux world. Install the codecs too that are there in UBUNTU's repositories and then compare again. It seems u didn't really explored the UBUNTU repositories.
This time, I could not test the applications with various movie files because Ubuntu wouldn't read my DVDs and CDs. So it's not my fault.
However, I have tried playing media files on Ubuntu in the past. It just gives me some error about the media not being supported and that's it. It does not offer to download the codecs like QuickTime Player and Windows Media Player do.

mediator said:
Also in the next post of urs, please describe about the functionality of corresponding software on Mac so that I and all the people here can also give their verdict.
On a standard Mac installation, you can play the following formats without any third-party interferance: MP3, AAC, AIFF, WAV, MP4, MOV, MPG, AVI, DAT (and maybe some more). Obviously, you can also play DVDs (directly from media or stored on your hard drive). If you want to know some specific software's functionality, let me know.

mediator said:
Also u didn't post some impressive screenshot of Mac and its interfaces. Please do so and post the best screenshot that u can!
I don't think I have any need to convince anyone how superb the Macintosh GUI is. Everyone knows it's the best in the business, including the likes of gxsaurav. Still, I'll try to find some impressive screenshots (or snap some).

*www.tachypic.com/thumb/2430.jpeg

It's a picture of a Safari window being minimised and on the left is a sheet folding downwards.

Pictures won't do justice to the user interface of the Macintosh. Go to some Apple authorised reseller in your area and have them show you a demo.

Last edited:

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
aryayush said:
OK. Here's what I found:

Gnome < Finder
Character Map > NIL
Firefox Web Browser > Safari
Gaim Internet Messenger (lacks audio/video conferencing) < iChat (lacks support for most networks)

Finder > Gnome

Legend
??? - Not found
<> - Undecided
= - Equal
Worse < Better
Firstly, the file manager of KDE, Konqueror, is the best among the lot(Finder, Winblows Explorer etc.)

Safari, as it is based on Konqueror, is a better browser than Firefox. I am not sure here but the KHTML engine is considered much better than the Gecko Engine.

There is a Character Map and a Character Palette in OS X, too.

Gaim is available for both OS X as well as Linux. You can compile Gaim using XII or you can use Adium, which is a IM based on libgaim.

iChat supports the Jabber protocol. So, you can use Yahoo, MSN, GTalk etc on iChat.

There is an office suite available for PPC Macs. It is called AppleWorks. So, you can create and edit all Word, Excel etc files with this suite. It comes bundled with PPC macs.

Besides, almost all Linux programs can be run on OS X using XII, Fink or Darwinports. So, I don't see the point in comparing Linux apps with Mac ones.

@mediator- You can check out my post on the first page. I have mentioned about some features of OS X that I liked and I've linked some pics, too.

There are various other small features like Spring loaded folders, which can only be known, when you use the OS for a while. It sort of grows on you. For example: I am so used to Exposé that I feel out of place when I use another OS. I habitually press the middle mouse button to activate Exposé.

One thing about Apple is that you will not get Fischer Price themes on OS X. All those shades of black, transparent glass etc won't be included on OS X, ever. Apple believes in making the UI simple, but elegant. I feel Leopard will include the Unified interface, making OS X look more professional and elegant. Here is a rough example of how the UI might look in Leopard.

*img87.imageshack.us/img87/9453/picture44ev2.th.jpg

*img89.imageshack.us/img89/8339/picture45ng2.th.jpg

But, then, Linux distros are really becoming user friendly, and as Mehul and I feel, they will give serious competition to Windows in a couple of years time. However, as OS X is limited to Apple hardware, any person who buys Mac hardware pays for the OS(although indirectly), so I don't think that Linux is as much a threat to OS X as it is to Windows.(Considering the argument that you can install most Linux apps on OS X, too.)

You can host your own website on OS X. Here are the steps involved. Go to System Preferences, click on Sharing, check the Personal Web Sharing option. That's it you're done!

*img89.imageshack.us/img89/2690/picture46cs1.th.jpg

Now, go to your home folder and put your files in the Sites folder. Now, anyone can access your website on *yourip/~username

*img142.imageshack.us/img142/4605/picture47ce1.th.jpg

No installation, no configuration is involved. Here is the site that I have hosted on my computer. *anandbatra.sytes.net

Here is the ctrl+cmd+d dictionary thing Ayush was talking about:

*img299.imageshack.us/img299/4076/picdictna5.th.jpg

Also, Ayush, you can use Quicksilver for launching apps, rather than keeping all icons on the desktop. It takes the same time on quicksilver as it does to move your cursor and click on the icon. Spotlight, however, takes half a second more to do the same thing.

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Just see these and you'll see how different Linux is. I can provide missing ones for Linux and andy for OS X
Gnome < Finder - try KDE here
Archive Manager > Built-in (limited)
Calculator (lacks Paper Tape and Conversion tools) < Calculator - Kcalc
Character Map > NIL - as andy said there's one in OS X
Dictionary (not system wide) < Dictionary - As I said before StarDict
Disk Usage Analyzer < System Monitor and Disk Utility - System Monitoring and Disk Utilities are different programs in Linux
Take Screenshot (have to resort to using the Terminal for advanced functions) < Built-in and Preview - see Ksnapshot it doesn't require terminal
Terminal = Terminal
Text Editor (only plain text documents; no customisation) < TextEdit (not tabbed) - gedit plugins and also kate. Find me any text editor in the world that can match vi and Emacs, though they're actually CLI but there are front ends to both but catch is both have a learning curve. That's the versatility of Linux from something that's really simple to something that's very functional but difficult to learn
F-Spot Photo Manager < iPhoto
GIMP Image Editor > NIL
gThumb Image Viewer (lacks support for PDF documents) < Preview - any file manager shows preview for pdf's
XSane Image Scanner (limited to input from scanner) < Image Capture
Ekiga Softphone > NIL
Evolution Mail = Mail
Firefox Web Browser > Safari - too many options in this criteria to ever compare
Gaim Internet Messenger (lacks audio/video conferencing) < iChat (lacks support for most networks) - audio/video is supposed to be coming soon, thankfully
Terminal Server Client (WTF is this anyway!) <> ???
Movie Player (plays nothing) < QuickTime Player and iTunes - cos Linux can't bundle proprietory codecs, add win32codecs and it can play almost anything.
Rhtythmbox Music Player (plays nothing; lacks support for podcasts, TV shows, etc.) < iTunes and QuickTime Player - see amarok
Serpentine Audio CD Creator < GarageBand and iTunes - K3B is usually used to create CD's in Linux
Sound Juicer CD Extractor = iTunes
Sound Recorder (severely limited) < GarageBand

Finder > Gnome
Address Book > ??? - Korganiser has one but not sure
Automator > NIL - ??? what's that?
Calculator > Calculator (lacks Paper Tape and Conversion tools)
Comic Life > NIL
Dashboard > NIL - there's one for KDE don't remember now, eddie can tell
Dictionary > Dictionary (not system wide)
DVD Player > NIL
Font Book > Character Map (severely limited)
Front Row > NIL
GarageBand > Serpentine Audio CD Creator and Sound Recorder (severely limited)
iCal > ???
iChat (lacks support for most networks) > Gaim Instant Messenger (lacks audio/video conferencing)
iDVD > NIL
Image Capture > XSane Image Scanner (limited to input from scanners)
iMovie HD > NIL
iPhoto > F-Spot Photo Manager
iSync > Various applications (very limited)
iTunes > Rhtythmbox Music Player (plays nothing; lacks support for podcasts, TV shows, etc.)
iWeb > NIL
Mail = Evolution Mail
OmniOutliner > NIL
Photo Booth > NIL
Preview > gThumb Image Viewer (lacks support for PDF documents)
QuickTime Player > Movie Player (plays nothing)
Sherlock > NIL
Stickies > NIL - tomtom or some such name
TextEdit (not tabbed) > Text Editor (only plain text documents; no customisation)

Legend
??? - Not found
<> - Undecided
= - Equal
Worse < Better

It's useless to compare OS'es as they come out of the box cos no one will be practically using them as it is. Then again, Apple has the rights to bundle a lot of proprietory programs that linux distros can't. Then again compare prices than the whole comparision becomes lopsided.

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
So you want all that Mac functionality, effects, animation, consistency etc. on Linux for free and don't want to wait for that...STRANGE!!!

Why don't you understand that Linux is not developed under a roof with a team of programmers who can interact with each other and discuss on problems with much more flexibility. Linux is a community effort which takes time and effort to develop something. All the programmers work in a non-consistent manner with little interaction with each other. Beryl is developed in only six months which took 5 years for Microsoft programmers. Don't you think that this is a surprise!!!

So wait for more surprises...And one day who knows all Mac users will switch to Linux.:)

For eye-candy which also increase funtionality, please refer to this link...

Last edited:

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
subratabera said:
So you want all that Mac functionality, effects, animation, consistency etc. on Linux for free and don't want to wait for that...STRANGE!!!

Why don't you understand that Linux is not developed under a roof with a team of programmers who can interact with each other and discuss on problems with much more flexibility. Linux is a community effort which takes time and effort to develop something. All the programmers work in a non-consistent manner with little interaction with each other. Beryl is developed in only six months which took 5 years for Microsoft programmers. Don't you think that this is a surprise!!!

So wait for more surprises...And one day who knows all Mac users will switch to Linux.:)

For eye-candy which also increase funtionality, please refer to this link...

When did I say I can't wait for that? I know quite a bit about OSS development, too. I used Linux on my PC before I switched to OS X on my Mac Mini.

And what significance does Microsoft have to a thread on Mac and Linux?

It's interesting how people quote selectively.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
And I have used both Macintosh and Linux (albiet for a very short period), so here are some of the advantages that Macs have over Linux:
1. Very versatile method of capturing screenshots. You can capture the whole screen, just the desktop, a particular selection or any particular window.
2. Hot Corners. Just drag your mouse to the screen edges to activate useful features like Exposé (all windows, application windows, desktop), Dashboard and Screensaver. Use it once and you'll wish your screen had just one more corner.
3. Exposé (it's reason enough to make the switch to a Macintosh).
4. Brilliant UI. You just have to see the slick animations to believe it. The sliding windows, smooth scrolling, dock magnification, dashboard zooming, folding sheets, cube animated desktops, genie and scale effect of maximising/minimising windows, warp, fade, etc.
5. Just press 'Ctrl' and scroll your mouse, the whole screen zooms in. It's a very useful feature.
6. System wide dictionary and spell checking. Just press 'Command + Ctrl + D' and roll your mouse over any word on the screen to see an instant definition attached to the mouse.
7. Complete support for drag-and-drop. When you are dragging something with the mouse (and that includes files, pictures, movies and even text), you can press and button on the keyboard, use the screen corners and the item will still remain attached to the mouse. When you roll your mouse over some folder, the folder will spring open. This means you can literally anything from anywhere to any other place.
8. The ability to use two fingers for the secondary click and scrolling functions is so much simpler to use than a secondary button for right clicking and two stupid demarcated lines for scrolling (this is a laptop specific feature).
Hmm...
1. KSnapShot
2. XGL/AIGLX has that too, and its still under development, shows only the windows of now. Quite irritative sometimes if you ask me.
3. Mind telling me what Expose is ? Ahh wait, googled it, its the same as the above point I mentioned. Heh, alt tab scroller of XGL is quite quite better than an edge pointer. Thats my, love thy keyboard.
4. You used XGL/AIGLX, comes close, in development as I already said. Its a feature almost every desktop worthy OS flaunts now.
5. How is zooming on the desktop usefull when all you get to see is pixels, like that accessiblity feature for the low visioned.
6. Enter menu applets and place a dictionary applet there, done. Not as handy though. I know my vocalubary though and googling is much more fun. IMO.
7. Erm... ctrl+c , ctrl + v is much better than pushing all your force on the mouse eh? IMO again.
8. IDK what was that about.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finder: Your home on the Mac, Finder gives you lots of options for locating, displaying and organizing all your files and folders. From the power of Spotlight search technology to the flexibility of customizable item views, Mac OS X Finder truly shows your Mac at a glance.

Linux - I dont really think searching for a file is that hard comparing what Linux has as a one-spot storage place for documents under /home, a simple filename and text search option would do for its environment, no mess.

Address Book: Stay connected to all your friends and family, easily. Mac OS X Tiger Address Book 4 works seamlessly across the entire system, offering your contacts in a Dashboard widget, Spotlight-driven Smart Groups, iChat and iCal integration as well as automatic .Mac and Bluetooth-enabled device syncing.

Linux - Mmm, Evolution address books can be ported to most apps too.

Automator: Automator is an innovative personal automation assistant that makes it easy to automate repetitive tasks. Automator lets you skip the complex programming and scripting that is normally required to create automations. Individual steps called actions can be assembled into a complete task by dragging actions into an Automator workflow. You can run your completed workflows repeatedly, and even share them with others.

Linux - Like macros? I didnt get what automation you mean, scheduled tasks or macros?

Calculator: Calculator is more than just a number cruncher. Work mathematical miracles with this convenient tool.

Linux - :|

Chess: You can play chess against your Mac or another person, or watch your Mac play against itself. You can choose the level of difficulty for each game, get hints from the computer, and even make moves using spoken commands.

Linux - A simple game it is, why mention? Most available chess games have some or the other unique features, try XMoto for a change from chess.

Comic Life: Comic Life makes creating digital comics a snap. Use Comic Life to produce high quality comics for posting on the web, including in a movie or printing out for friends.

Linux - That's nice, we have Inkscape for that, but this sounds nicer.

Dashboard: Check the time, watch the weather, track flights, view stock prices and find a local restaurant. Instantly. With a single click, the Dashboard zooms across your Desktop, giving you fast access to nifty widgets designed for fun as well as function. Bundled widgets are: Address Book, Business, Calculator, Calendar, Dictionary, ESPN, Flight Tracker, Google, iTunes, People, Ski Report, Stickies, Stocks, Tile Game, Translation, Unit Converter, Weather and World Clock.

Well, gDesklets and not as many widgets but heck, who cant develop them? Its easy to make one and easier now as they are all OS.

Dictionary: Words at your fingertips. Nouns, verbs, synonyms; Dictionary has them all and more.

Linux - aSpell comes by default.

DVD Player: Use DVD Player to watch DVD movies on your computer. You can watch movies recorded on standard DVD discs or view DVD projects that are stored on your hard disk.

Linux - Mmm, multimedia eh? :D You win but not by a long shot, cause excellent players like Xine dont come for Macs. It even beats VLC in most aspects. Why DVD, when you can play all and any.

Font Book: Font Book makes it easy to install, preview, organize, and manage your fonts.

Linux - Font managers come in almost all OSes now mate.

Front Row: Dazzle your friends with an elegant full-screen media display. Front Row transforms movie night into a blockbuster Hollywood premiere — and you can preview Hollywood blockbusters from the Apple.com QuickTime movie trailer website. Control the mood of the room with instant access to iTunes music and playlists. View slideshows from your iPhoto library, complete with transitions and music. Watch home movies, music videos, TV shows, and more. Hit play and pass the popcorn. Enjoy your music, video, photos and DVDs exactly as you wish.

Linux - This is nice, like one push to major apps, nice for multimedia and eye-likes-gloss lovers. But I'd like a shortcut icon, please :) IMO

GarageBand: You can use GarageBand to easily create your own original music to share with the world. You create a GarageBand music project by recording Real and Software Instruments, adding loops, arranging and mixing your project, then sending your finished project to iTunes or another iLife application.

Linux - Audacity + Plugins and various other apps for sound work, or forge. ;)

iCal: iCal is a personal calendar application that lets you easily keep track of appointments, view multiple calendars at the same time, share your calendar information with others, and more.

Linux - Evolution has a calendar system that integrates with the clock and major other apps, well enough.

iChat: iChat AV is a great way to send instant messages. You can stay in touch with people all over the world using full-screen video, audio, and text. With iChat AV you can video conference right from your desktop with up to three people, or audio conference with up to nine people. And no long-distance charges.

Linux - GAIM rocks in text till now. For video and sound there are Tapioca and others, but no good AIO solution. The calls you say, are they valid for India?

iDVD: When it comes time to share your music, photos, and movies with others, there's no better way to do it than with a DVD. And iDVD is the perfect way to collect all the pieces of your digital life in one place and share them with others.

Linux - Hehe, a burner :p This is too funny branding.

Image Capture: Capture images from a camera or scanner, and then share them with your friends.

Linux - Um. I dont really need to mention the list of apps for this. Its all apt-get or yum or yast or smart away from a user.

iMovie HD: iMovie has always been the best way to easily import video from your digital camcorder, edit your movie with an assortment of stunning visual and audio effects, and then share it with family and friends.

Linux - Kino rocks too :)

Internet Connect: Use Internet Connect to dial your ISP, establish a PPPoE connection, or connect to an AirPort network.

Linux - What is linux without networking? But Airport's sure destroying the google searches. And wifi is now natively supported as well.

iPhoto: iPhoto has always been the best way to easily import photos from your digital camera, organize them for fast retrieval, and then share them with family and friends.

Linux - Um. Again. Refer 2 above this.

iSync: iSync is synchronization software that helps you manage contact and calendar information on your Mac OS computer and devices, such as an iSync-compatible Bluetooth or USB mobile phone, a Palm OS device, or an iPod.

Linux - Well, any app that allows interface to devices have synchronize if they are really worth making.

iTunes: iTunes is software that makes it easy to play and organize music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and more. You can take your music and video collection with you by synchronizing your iTunes library with your iPod, Apple's portable music and video player.

Linux - I really dont know but this is one big crap player on Windows atleast, gobbles up RAM, doesnt show me why I must stop using WMP 11 on windows atleast. On Linux, there is the ever fantastic modern player of one kind, AMAROK! Well, w/o scripts extensions, it has Wikipedia info, lyrics, streaming, etc etc that like, forms up 4 additional players. Not to mention a beautiful context browser and excellent playlist spacing. And oh, easy keybinding too! And Last.FM too.

iWeb: iWeb is an application you can use to easily create a professional-looking website.

Linux - Well, there are many like that on Linux, but nothing beats a text editor sometimes.

Mail: Use the Mail application to send and receive email messages. You can set up multiple email accounts and easily customize Mail to fit your needs.

Linux - Heh, power of Evolution and Thunderbird.

OmniOutliner: We all have ideas knocking around in our heads. OmniOutliner is for getting those ideas out into the open where you can see them, shuffle them around, neatly present them, and share them with other people. With it, you can quickly jot down notes into a list, or you can forge monumental masses of information into shape with pixel-by-pixel precision.

Linux - Like a mind map? Search mind map in the package manager and tell me.

Photo Booth: Take digital photos of yourself. Use them for your user account picture, iChat buddy icon, and more.

Linux - Um yeah, and I thought why didnt the camera makers give a software for this?

Preview: Preview lets you read PDF documents, view images, and take screenshots.

Linux - Yep, this is one long standing feature of Linux, its easy document readers AIO. And live Icons too! [Mepis]

QuickTime Player: QuickTime Player is a free multimedia player. You can use it to view many kinds of files, including video, audio, still images, graphics, and virtual reality (VR) movies. QuickTime supports the most popular formats on the Internet for news, sports, education, movie trailers, and other entertainment.

Linux - Two words. QT Sucks. Its like another Real Player. VLC on the other hand, even for Macs maybe, isnt bad at all.

Safari: Mac OS X includes Safari to make it easy for you to browse the Internet. Safari quickly and accurately displays the websites you visit, thanks to its Mac OS X underpinnings and its strict compliance to web standards. In addition, Safari's innovative features let you perform Google searches from the address bar, scan articles from several websites in one window with RSS, organize bookmarks of your favorite websites, and much more. Find out what you can do with Safari as you explore the Web.

Linux - Again two words - Firefox Rules. Tell me some more unique features of Safari first please, the ones mentioned here are basically in every browser alive.

Sherlock: Find what you're looking for in Sherlock channels. View local movie listings, get stock prices, track auction items, and more.

Linux - Some widgets do the same I believe.

Stickies: Need to jot down a phone number or make a quick shopping list? Use Stickies to leave little reminders where they won't get lost: right on your computer's desktop.

Linux - Widgets. Or in Linux tongue, Desklets.

System Preferences: Choose settings to customize your Mac OS X experience. It's Tiger tailored to your specific needs.

Linux - Bwhhaahaha its Open Source!

TextEdit: Write a note; write a novel; write a letter; write a webpage. View almost any text document, or create your own. TextEdit is a word processor that is both powerful and easy to use.

Linux - Erm, in Linux, text editors is more than that, its used for coding too, its used for virually every task that requires typing.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Lastly, I havent used Macs much but unlike you say, I have spent a lot of months on Linux.

And no, Konqueror sucks as a browser.

And oh aryayush, that minimize thing, its a beryl eye candy :D
I guess you havent tried XGL/AIGLX time waster products yet eh?

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
I think Ayush forgot to mention a couple of things.

First, GIMP is available in 3 avatars on OS X. One, if you compile the linux one yourself. Two, if you use the compiled XII version. Three, if you use Seashore( OS X native).

Seashore screenie:

*img145.imageshack.us/img145/7716/picture49zn3.th.jpg

Also, it's not fair to compare web browsers. FF is available on OS X, too.

Qwerty said:
GarageBand: You can use GarageBand to easily create your own original music to share with the world. You create a GarageBand music project by recording Real and Software Instruments, adding loops, arranging and mixing your project, then sending your finished project to iTunes or another iLife application.

Linux - Audacity + Plugins and various other apps for sound work, or forg

Seriously, go ask any guitarist worth his salt what Garageband is. Search for garageband users on the net. You'll find some interesting names(including your favourite band). Here is one for starters.

iDVD: When it comes time to share your music, photos, and movies with others, there's no better way to do it than with a DVD. And iDVD is the perfect way to collect all the pieces of your digital life in one place and share them with others.

Linux - Hehe, a burner This is too funny branding.

LOL. That shows that you're never used a Mac. Go search for what iDvd is. Show me one software on this planet, other than iDvd, which can make 3D photo/video albums, as easy as drag and drop.

iMovie HD: iMovie has always been the best way to easily import video from your digital camcorder, edit your movie with an assortment of stunning visual and audio effects, and then share it with family and friends.

Linux - Kino rocks too

Why aren't there movies showed at Cannes made with Kino? Try iMovie. It's not what you feel it is. It's not possible for me to show all the effects.

iPhoto: iPhoto has always been the best way to easily import photos from your digital camera, organize them for fast retrieval, and then share them with family and friends.

Linux - Um. Again. Refer 2 above this.

Again, i'd say, try a Mac before commenting. You've no idea what you're talking about.

Last edited:

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
Finder: Your home on the Mac, Finder gives you lots of options for locating, displaying and organizing all your files and folders. From the power of Spotlight search technology to the flexibility of customizable item views, Mac OS X Finder truly shows your Mac at a glance.

Linux - I dont really think searching for a file is that hard comparing what Linux has as a one-spot storage place for documents under /home, a simple filename and text search option would do for its environment, no mess.

Atleast, check the screenshot of finder two posts above. It does the same thing. My account is under /Users/Anand.

Linux - Um yeah, and I thought why didnt the camera makers give a software for this?

So, an app that does everything without the need for 3rd party software, is bad?

QWERTY, it's ok if you haven't used a Mac, but atleast avoid making sweeping statements.

Last edited:

subratabera

mail2and said:
Again, i'd say, try a Mac before commenting. You've no idea what you're talking about.
Anybody there willing to give me his Mac for few days, because sadly I can't afford it...:-(

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
subratabera said:
Anybody there willing to give me his Mac for few days, because sadly I can't afford it...:-(

You can go to any local Apple store and try a Mac. There are lots and lots of authorised retailers in cities these days.

BTW, a bare-bones Mac Mini costs 32-33k.

subratabera

mail2and said:
You can go to any local Apple store and try a Mac. There are lots and lots of authorised retailers in cities these days.

BTW, a bare-bones Mac Mini costs 32-33k.
Thanks for the info. I will definitely try one if I get a chance! BTW with 32-33k I can buy everything Linux needs for a spectacular desktop...

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
subratabera said:
Thanks for the info. I will definitely try one if I get a chance! BTW with 32-33k I can buy everything Linux needs for a spectacular desktop...

That, my friend, is subjective, and depends upon the needs and preferences of each user.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
subratabera said:
But you cannot carry it to the office with you, can you!

mail2and said:
I've been telling you people to do this since as long as I remember. They (the Apple resellers) are quite used to people coming in for demos and then never contacting them again and they are glad to show a demo even though they know that it won't necessarily result in a sale. Just go ahead and give it a try!

But seriously, avoid doing so if you are not going to be able to afford it. The temptation is agonising. :D

mail2and, I use LaunchBar now. That screenshot is of a the time I was very new to the Mac and did not have much idea about the software available. :)

QwertyManiac, I posted that list of software that comes bundled with a Mac because subratabera asked for it. I did not mean to say that those software (or alternatives to them) are not available for the Linux platform - that is why I even mentioned Calculator. But even the Mac Calculator is far more advanced than the Ubuntu one.
And BTW, there is no real replacement for the iLife suite of applications (iPhoto, iMovie HD, iDVD, GarageBand, iWeb and iCal) and iDVD is not a burning software (LOL!), it is a DVD authoring software. As mail2and suggested, you might want to Google it up. :)
Look at Anand's website. He made it in iWeb and has hosted it on his Macintosh. And for doing such a professional looking job and getting it up and running, he did not have to refer to a single tutorial or type in a single line of code. That's what the Apple quality is all about. 8)
Instantly access any open window with a single keystroke — and stunning style that can never be imitated. Display all open windows as thumbnails, view windows of the current application or hide all windows to quickly locate a file on your desktop.

*images.apple.com/macosx/features/expose/images/indexfeature20050412.jpg *images.apple.com/macosx/features/expose/images/indexquicktimemodule20050412.gif​

Admit it, Mac OS X has you spoiled. You’ve become so used to its reliability that you don’t hesitate to have a dozen applications running at the same time. Which means, of course, that you probably spend a fair amount of time each day poking through open windows and documents just to uncover the one you need at the moment.

Get the Picture?

So wouldn’t it be great if all you had to do was hit one hot key to snap all of that window chaos into order?

That’s exactly what Exposé does. Type the F9 key and Exposé instantly tiles all of your open windows, scales them down and neatly arranges them, so you can see what’s in every single one. And you definitely can see every one because Exposé works hand-in-hand with Quartz (the graphics engine behind everything you see in Mac OS X Tiger) to animate the scaling and preserve the visual quality of the window in its reduced size.

That’s not all. Move your mouse from one tiled window to the next and you’ll see its title displayed right in the center of the window. When you find the window you need, just click on it. Magically, every window will return to full size and the window you clicked — whether it’s a folder, a PDF, a QuickTime movie or a Word document — becomes the active window.

Impressed? Wait till you hear this: Exposé has two more tricks up its sleeve.
Say you’re one prodigious Photoshop phenom and often have up to a dozen documents open at the same time. Exposé makes finding the one you need incredibly easy. Type the F10 key, and Exposé instantly tiles all of your open Photoshop windows while causing all of the open windows of other applications to fade to a delightful shade of grey. The clutter cleared, you can easily find the document you need. A mouse click makes it the active window. Plus you can use the tab key to switch between open applications and associated tiled windows.

Here’s Looking at You, Kid
They say the third time’s a charm and with Exposé it certainly is. Type the F11 key and Exposé hides all open windows, giving you instant access to your desktop. Want to open a document you just downloaded? Check to see if the CD or DVD you’re burning in the background is ready? Or quickly locate and drag a file into an email as an enclosure? Exposé makes it a snap.

*images.apple.com/macosx/features/expose/images/indexallthree20050412.jpg

Using Function Keys
By default, F9 tiles all open windows; F10 tiles all open windows for the current application; and F11 hides all open windows so you can see the contents of your desktop.

Using Gestures
*images.apple.com/macosx/features/expose/images/indexgestures20050412.jpg You can also use gestures — moving the mouse over one of the display corners — to activate any of the three Exposé actions. Again, simply use System Preference to assign each Exposé action to a different corner.

Using Mouse Buttons
And those of you who use a multi-button mouse can also assign Exposé actions to the extra buttons on your favorite rodent.

Copyright © 2006 Apple Computer, Inc. All rights reserved.

(Many people, like tech_your_future and QwertyManiac, have mentioned that they did not quite understand what Exposé and hot corners mean. This is an explanation directly from Apple.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom