Reasons for a Mac user to make the switch to Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mediator

Technomancer
gxsaurav said:
meditator, u r in luck

I just saw a movie, the devil wears Prada, fantastic one....andrea is hot...

anyway, back to point, in this movie, there is a scene of just a few seconds showing the geenie effect in one of the computer she was working on, i cut the video here it is

*rapidshare.com/files/5436359/...ffect.mp4.html

Quicktime H.264 format, i hope it playes on linux, cos it will on Windows & Mac
Its well known fact that mood of a person changes with climate and happening in surroundings..

No wonder...when u r in love, the blue & White theme of Mac changes to White & Pink

lol
:D:D

Is that it in the genie effect on Mac?? Uhh well, what I heard all the way was some exaggeration then. :D

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
mediator said:
So what?? Previously u were saying that they have to be installed separately. I already told I prefer Ubuntu and fedora, some people might prefer Mandriva. Fight is between Mac and Linux, why are u being specific to a particular distro?? All distros aren't the same, Fedora is montrously bundled and Ubuntu is lightly bundled. Will u say Linux doesn't come bundled with enough apps??
Thats the real pleasure, that the competition between varous linux vendors is so great that we end-users experience different things with the release of each new distro.
But you cannot keep changing your operating system every now and then, can you? That is why I requested at the beginning of the thread to argue your points keeping any particular distro in mind. Of course, if you count the features of all the distros combined, the Mac or Windows might never be able to compare to Linux. You are counting the whole of Linux (all distros included) as a single entity, but you cannot run all the distros together, can you? So if you are debating about Ubuntu, don't say that it is easy to install the XGL effects or if you are centering on Mandriva, don't say that Ubuntu is good at this thing and that thing, etc. Get my point? You cannot compare one operating system (Mac OS X Tiger) to the whole of Linux, you just can't.

Is that it in the genie effect on Mac?? Uhh well, what I heard all the way was some exaggeration then. :D
You have to see it with 'Shift' pressed (in slow motion) to see the effect.

Last edited:

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
But you cannot keep changing your operating system every now and then, can you? That is why I requested at the beginning of the thread to argue your points keeping any particular distro in mind. Of course, if you count the features of all the distros combined, the Mac or Windows might never be able to compare to Linux. You are counting the whole of Linux (all distros included) as a single entity, but you cannot run all the distros together, can you? So if you are debating about Ubuntu, don't say that it is easy to install the XGL effects or if you are centering on Mandriva, don't say that Ubuntu is good at this thing and that thing, etc. Get my point? You cannot compare one operating system (Mac OS X Tiger) to the whole of Linux, you just can't.
Yes he can!!! Because every new software can be installed on any Linux distro with a little effort (except few, such as SELinux in Fedora is unique). For example Beryl can be installed on any distro you like...not just a specific distro. Linux is a community effort and any good invention which makes the user experience better is implemented in every Linux distro. That's why features from any Linux distro can be given as an example IMHO...

mediator

Technomancer
aryayush said:
Why do you keep posting statements like this one?
'I hope you know what this is.', 'I hope you know what that is.'
I USE virtual desktops and I do not need anyone to instruct me what a workspace is about. If I cannot understand some terminology, I will look it up or ask you, you don't need to keep 'hoping' that I know the words you use.
Why r u getting annoyed?? U dudn't even know that installation isn't task of end-users and here u were starting a thread for end-users, u didn't even know the simple difference between paid and free linux distros etc. So I have to be sure when I talk of new points in my posts.

aryayush said:
I already replied to this and I am not sitting here to spoon-feed anyone. There are plenty of videos on YouTube. Do a simple search and check 'em out.
Well ilife or wateva that video editing software be, i thought u might be able to give me glimpse of it and some end-user's experience. U may take the video from ur cellphone again! Wat say?

aryayush said:
You cannot take a screenshot while 'Alt - Tabbing' on either Linux (I checked out Ubuntu) or Windows. The least you can do before posting something is try it out. It would have hardly taken a few seconds.
And how does not being able to take a screenshot on two particular instances make the end-user experience less than satisfying? The support for taking screenshots on Macintosh is much more versatile than any other OS. You can virtually take a screenshot of any activity.
In Ubuntu, I cannot even take a screenshot while I am dragging something.
Well I can, just press the printscreen. :) Isn't that simple as end-users experience?? Yea 'alt-tabbing' snap cannot be done, but dragging snap can be done way easily. :)

aryayush said:
Talking about 'Alt + Tab' switching, you cannot use the mouse while using 'Alt + Tab' on Ubuntu. You cannot even close windows without bringing them to the foreground. On Mac, you can use the mouse and quit or hide the applications while using 'Command + Tab'.
Well I didn't try such thing on Ubuntu, will try it later. But here right now I can easily move my mouse while using 'alt-tab' on fedora 5.

aryayush said:
Show that to any regular computer user. The last thing they will say is that it is easy.
Gaash! Installation isn't a task of end-users brother. Do I have to repeat the whole thing again for u?? :oops:

Neways most people in Open Source section see it as nobrainer and remark it as easy. U may keep a close watch in Open Source section. I guess ur still not out of ur biasness towards Mac.

I request u to never discuss on this topic in real debates face to face coz u still repeat such things about end-users even when I enlightened u about the classifications more than a dozen times now.

aryayush said:
Sorry for not following the rules, sir - but please don't fail me in the examinations!
You do this every time. The moment you run out of points to make, you start saying that the topic is not within the 'ethics' of debate.
All I know is that I am the sole user of my computer. I have to do whatever is to be done on it. Therefore, if I want to instal anything on my computer, I have to do it myself. Tell me one thing, do you call some technician every time you want to instal something on your OS? Or do you not consider yourself to be an end-user?
It seems from ur posts that ur geting impatient and jealous and are about to flame me now.

But yes u r doing terrible in ur exams. U r repeating things again n again not conforming to "ethics" of debate. Its not me who has run outta point, everyone here can see that who has actually run outta points. U r the one who has seen both Mac and Linux and started this thread. So everyone expects u to talk sensibly and give some comments about the comparison without any fanboyism or biasness. Its only u who can introduce new points, all of us can only mark if its correct for Linux or windows since u also bringing windows in this Mac Vs linux thread.

About the highlighted part, its very surprising that u r still repeating and can't understand a simple concept even when I gave u an example. Even an american can understand such things. All the people, even a kid can understand such things and agree to it. But u r still.....?? How much time will it take u to understand such a simple concept. I told u to read SE books or some references to IEEE etc. U haven't even done that and r arguing with me unnecessarily.

aryayush said:
TW, there are hacks and applications if you want to enable transparency on Macintosh too.
What kinda of hacks in closed ource software??

aryayush said:
Oh, and you are being totally objective and open to criticism? Yeah, I can see that.
Yes, everybody here can see who is being a fanboy and who is saying "I didn't know that" here again n again in a field he thinks he is acquainted well enough in.

Last edited:

subratabera

mail2and said:
BTW, a bare-bones Mac Mini costs 32-33k.

aryayush said:
subratabera said:
Thanks for the info. I will definitely try one if I get a chance! BTW with 32-33k I can buy everything Linux needs for a spectacular desktop...
But you cannot carry it to the office with you, can you!

*images.apple.com/macmini/images/indexports20060229.jpg

How can you carry this thing with you in the office!!!:-(

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
subratabera said:
Yes he can!!! Because every new software can be installed on any Linux distro with a little effort (except few, such as SELinux in Fedora is unique). For example Beryl can be installed on any distro you like...not just a specific distro. Linux is a community effort and any good invention which makes the user experience better is implemented in every Linux distro. That's why features from any Linux distro can be given as an example IMHO...
Suppose you have Ubuntu installed and have fifty software installed on it. A new version of Mandriva comes out in a month's time. Will you install it and then re-install all your applications?
Plus, suppose there is a feature you like in Mandriva and another you really love in Ubuntu, can you run both at the same time?
If I was asked these two questions, my answer would be 'No'. So how can I comapre the features of many different operating systems combined against a single one?

mediator said:
Well I can, just press the printscreen. Isn't that simple as end-users experience?? Yea 'alt-tabbing' snap cannot be done, but dragging snap can be done way easily.
I don't have a 'Print Screen' key, so I changed the shortcut to various key combinations but I did not manage to take a screenshot while dragging something.

mediator said:
Well I didn't try such thing on Ubuntu, will try it later. But here right now I can easily move my mouse while using 'alt-tab' on fedora 5.
By not being able to use the mouse, I did not mean that the mouse refused to function. I mean that when you are using 'Alt + Tab', you should be able to move your mouse in either horizontal direction to move the selection around instead of repeatedly pressing the 'Tab' key. You cannot do that on Ubuntu (and I don't think you can do so on Fedora Core either).

mediator said:
It seems from ur posts that ur geting impatient and jealous
Jealous of what! :lol:

mediator said:
About the highlighted part, its very surprising that u r still repeating and can't understand a simple concept even when I gave u an example.
Your example is of just one particular situation which is of a business that has three users assigned for various tasks.
But I am sitting here alone in my house using Ubuntu and I want to see some classy effects on it. So I will have to install XGL, right? And I am the end user here, right? So an end user has to install it, right?
Suppose you buy a PC for yourself and want to run Linux on it. You will have to install it yourself, won't you? And you are the end user, aren't you?
I don't even know what you are trying to prove by this silly debate. Just trying to justify the fact that it is totally fine for the installation of some nice effects on Ubuntu to be a hell of a task to achieve.

How can you carry this thing with you in the office!!!:-(
LOL! Reminds me of the time when I was too small to read text and just used to stare at the pictures in comic books. If you took the pain to find the picture of a Mac Mini, the least you could have done was look up what size it is. It is no larger than a standard tiffin box and weighs in at a modest 1.31 kg. It is 'just 6.5 inches square and 2 inches small'. I am sure you should have no trouble carrying something that small with you to your office (or wherever you wish to carry it to). :)

Last edited:

subratabera

aryayush said:
Suppose you have Ubuntu installed and have fifty software installed on it. A new version of Mandriva comes out in a month's time. Will you install it and then re-install all your applications?
Plus, suppose there is a feature you like in Mandriva and another you really love in Ubuntu, can you run both at the same time?
If I was asked these two questions, my answer would be 'No'. So how can I comapre the features of many different operating systems combined against a single one?
Well, every major feature is frequently added to the repositories of any Linux distro. If you love a feature of Mandriva and want it on Ubuntu (except for some basic unique native features) you can definitely find something alike for Ubuntu also or wait for it to be updated for Ubuntu repositories. Every new edition includes many new upgrades which comes from different platforms. That's the magic of open-source. Nothing is hidden from us...

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
aryayush said:
It is easy only on Mandriva and Fedora Core 6 because they come bundled with support for XGL/Compiz. The process for enabling those effects on Ubuntu or OpenSUSE is much more difficult. At least, that's what I gathered from the various tutorials I have read.
It's not bundled out of the box with most distros cos still the 3D desktops aren't stable, once they will be, all distros will start incorporating them out of the box soon enough.

aryayush said:
I did not get your point. What example file?
It's link is there on the desktop of the Live CD. I can't remember exact location to it rite now.

subratabera

LOL! Reminds me of the time when I was too small to read text and just used to stare at the pictures in comic books. If you took the pain to find the picture of a Mac Mini, the least you could have done was look up what size it is. It is no larger than a standard tiffin box and weighs in at a modest 1.31 kg. It is 'just 6.5 inches square and 2 inches small'. I am sure you should have no trouble carrying something that small with you to your office (or wherever you wish to carry it to).
But where is the screen...:)

subratabera

tech_your_future said:
Screen is at office. AFAIK, Macs don't include screen, that is to be bought separately.
And the keyboard should be in the bathroom, and the mouse in canteen...And the UPS must be in the managers room. BTW can it be directly plug into power or we need a separate adapter for that also...:)

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
tech_your_future said:
Screen is at office. AFAIK, Macs don't include screen, that is to be bought separately.

Actually, the Mac Mini and the Mac Pros do not include screens. iMacs and the Mac Portables(MacBook and MacBook Pro), however, do include screens.
And the keyboard should be in the bathroom, and the mouse in canteen...And the UPS must be in the managers room. BTW can it be directly plug into power or we need a separate adapter for that also...:)

The mouse is in the chairman's bedroom. What's your point?

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
OK me and andy have agreed that this is going nowhere. So, I have locked this thread, no point in letting it go any further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom