Query about Dual Layer DVDs..

ithehappy

Human Spambot
This may be a noob question but gotta ask, what's this Dual layer DVD? I mean I know it has a capacity of 4.7*2 GB but is it true that you have to write in both sides unlike Single layer DVD?
And what's the Price of a Dual layer DVD? Sony or Moser Baer? Also do I need a Dual layer DVD writer to write Dual layer DVDs?
Asked coz my HDD is running almost empty after downloading some Blu-ray movies :), and a single movie will take 7-8 DVDs, so I wanna make it short :)

Thanks in advance.

pulkitpopli2004

Cyborg Agent
yes they have two layers, each stores 4.7GB so overall capacity is doubled in comparison to the single layer DVD.

prices are more than double the price of DL DVD.. above 50INR.. i have seen in some online stores nt in market actually.

also take a note that these latest DL drives write double layer discs at a slower rate (up to 12×) than current single-layer disks (up to 24×).

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Ok, thanks, but the cost is high! In Rs.50 I will have almost 5 DVDs...hmm..I think it's better to stick with Single layer then but it will need a separate room later for storing them with the speed I am currently going with thes B-ray stuffs :lol:

pulkitpopli2004

Cyborg Agent
yup dats y generally people dont use DL. they are just used by companies.. like Digit ..:)

personally i would prefer external HDD.. they are costly but no need to have large no of disc and slow write speed too..

sujoyp

Grand Master
50RS for a dual layer DVD...:shock::p which country???

OK a dual layer DVD can not write 4.7*2 but only upto 8GB thats less then 2 dvds
A dual layer dvd of branded company can cost from 15-25 RS....I have bough a 50dual DVD bundle and it cost me Rs.12-13 per dvd of National brand..u can say cheap brand

U can write a dual layer dvd on any dvd writer...the speed would be around 4x and it would take around 45mins to write 1 dual layer

any more queries:p

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
sujoyp: thanks a lot for your post. But I have not seen any shop selling DL dvds. Could you please tell me, from where do you purchase them?

mitraark

Decrepit
I buy DL DVDs Local Company [ National ] for Rs 15 , and Mosrbaer [ in Case ] Rs 40 , from Chandni Chowk , Mamaji s Shop [ Behind E Mall ]

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
This may be a noob question but gotta ask, what's this Dual layer DVD? I mean I know it has a capacity of 4.7*2 GB but is it true that you have to write in both sides unlike Single layer DVD?

Before I start, I must say to you, that No Question is a Noob question. Not everyone knows the answers to every question in life. And there would always be a question that would be easy for someone, but tough for the other one.
But yeah, that WAS a noob question. ... :-D. Kidding.

In a dual layer DVD, you don't have to write on both sides of the disk, but the both sides are present on the single side.
Just my two cents. :)

sujoyp: thanks a lot for your post. But I have not seen any shop selling DL dvds. Could you please tell me, from where do you purchase them?

I would also like to know, the cheapest I found out was 89bucks for 5 dvds and 29rs for shipping.

eBay India: 5disk pack National dual Layer Blank DVD 8.5 GB (item 160575321360 end time 23-Apr-2011 17:11:36 IST)

sujoyp

Grand Master
If somebody is from nagpur I can help you...just google on net for national dual layer dvd...

check this link
Lg Combo Drive 16x DVD - Best deals on Optical Drives only at Rediff Shopping.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Asked for Dual Layer Discs in shops like Vedant, MD, Eastern Logica, Technocrat...wonder no one keeps blank discs :!:

mitraark

Decrepit
Asked for Dual Layer Discs in shops like Vedant, MD, Eastern Logica, Technocrat...wonder no one keeps blank discs :!:

I would recommended that you exactly avoid these shops for petty things like Dual Layer DVDs , they will rob you. Buy from Street shops , same stuff , less price.

sam1

Journeyman
I would recommended that you exactly avoid these shops for petty things like Dual Layer DVDs , they will rob you. Buy from Street shops , same stuff , less price.

completely agree. last week i went looking for SATA data cables at supreme. they were selling them at 30 rs a piece (without clip). later on, got 3 of them for 30 rs (with clip) from a street shop!

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
what's this Dual layer DVD?

Ans: I mean I know it has a capacity of 4.7*2 GB

but is it true that you have to write in both sides unlike Single layer DVD?
its not like making chappatis....

And what's the Price of a Dual layer DVD? Sony or Moser Baer?
I never used any Dual Layer but once i asked for the price of MoserBaer its was rs85

Also do I need a Dual layer DVD writer to write Dual layer DVDs?
almost all DVD writers supports Dual Layer DVDs...
well u dnt have any DVD Writer ryt now?

Top Bottom