Problem with new GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunE

Professional Newbie
Random shutdowns? RAM might be at fault. DL Memtest and LinX now and check it.

Even I had random restarts while gaming. Turned out to be faulty RAM.

OP
J

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
Well actually the display and windows just turn off. The cpu fan still runs.

Suppose I am playing a song and surfing the internet. The display goes blank all of a sudden and then the music stops with it. Alt+F4 does not give windows shutting off sounds so i guess the OS is crashing or something. The cpu fan is still running when this happens though.

Will check RAM

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gave the card for RMA to Digicare Smartlink.
They said it will take around a week.

can you mention the address and phone no ?

Well actually the display and windows just turn off. The cpu fan still runs.

Suppose I am playing a song and surfing the internet. The display goes blank all of a sudden and then the music stops with it. Alt+F4 does not give windows shutting off sounds so i guess the OS is crashing or something. The cpu fan is still running when this happens though.

Will check RAM

this usually happens :

1. CPu overheating.
2. PSU unable to supply proper power.
3. Mobo IGP issue.
4. Inadequate ram volt

and did you run the 3Dmark vantage test ??

OP
J

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
^ Yeah address is:-

Swastik Centre,
P-8,Chowringee Square.
Phone no:-033-22136182

And regarding the issues:-

1. CPU is definitely not overheating. Idle temps are 26-28 degrees and load temps after prime95 for 1 hour is around 55-60 degrees. (Magic of CM thermal fusion 400)

2. I hope PSU is not gone :( How can I check this?

3. I ran the WEI index using IGP, it finished successfully without any problems.

4. Well RAM was fine.Will run memtest soon.

Actually a bit worried about running another stress test after the last one(furmark) destroyed the GPU :S Is 3Dmarkvantage safe?

Update:- Ran memtest for 40 minutes. 0 errors. So I guess RAM is okay.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Thanks for the address.

3Dmark Vantage is safe even if you run it at extreme settings and we need to run memtest for at-least 2 passes not only for 40 mins and sometime even if memtest shows zero error there's still can be issue - so better use some games like Crysis, crysis warhead which needs lots of cpu+gpu power and memory space for at-least 1-2 hours.

OP
J

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
^ Yeah but I am on a weak IGP (HD 4200) so I don't think crysis will run smoothly. Crysis 2 runs with huge amounts of lag though. And okay will test 3d mark today.

Update:- Ran 3dmark today at performance preset I think. Ermm..i think what was suppossed to be a 3d video ran like a slideshow with one pic being displayed after 3-4 seconds. I think the HD 4200 can't run it smoothly. Ran it for some 10 minutes though. Nothing happened. Also ran prime95(all 3 tests) for 45 minutes each. Temperatures were okay and nothing happened then either.

Okay so I decided to make 3 videos of my problems. It might give you people a better idea of what is actually happening.There are 3 videos so please be a little patient
and watch.The 3 videos have been shot simultaneously one after the other and the events are in order of the videos.

1.) In this video the machine is already running. And this video will demonstrate problem no.1:- Pc does not turn on after I switch it off.

Problem 1 - YouTube

2.) In this video I have just unplugged and turned off the ups and am starting the pc(or trying to ) from the beginning. This will show problem no.2:- PC does not turn on if I wait for some time to press power button after powering on UPS.

Problem 2 - YouTube

3.) This video will show problem no.3 which is related to problem no.2. The problem is:- After problem 2,when I unplug everything and replug it,just turning on the UPS turns the machine on without even having to press the power button.

Problem 3 - YouTube

Last edited:

SunE

Professional Newbie
Your cabinet's internal wiring is all messed up maybe due to some earthing problem. Try it with a different cabinet if you can.

Other than that, even I "don't know why this is happening!" :p

OP
J

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
^ Lol yeah ignore the "why this is happening" s. xD there are lots of them :p

I can't try this out with another cabby since i don't have one. and also this cabinet used to work fine before running furmark.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Make sure yu have proper earthing for your home and the pc cabinet -

take out your entire rig out from the cabby - unplug/disconnect everything.

Place the mobo on a table - connect only the PSu, one ram module, monitor signal cable , HDD and keyboard with it - no turn on the PSU ( from the back switch ) and use a screw driver to short the two sys start pin of the mobo - the pc should start normally - now do all of your shutdown and restart related tests and post feedback.

OP
J

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
^ Will do all those.

But I have been running the pc for the last 5 years from the same plug point. :S
And there have been no changes in the wiring either. But okay will do so and report back

OP
J

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
^ Well there is a power button,reset button and clr CMOS button on the motherboard itself. And no the results are the same even if I use those buttons.

Haven't tried shorting the pins where the cabinet's wires are connected though.

P.S:- I know how to check whether the plug point is grounded or not. But is there something like grounding the cabby? My cabinet is on the floor since its huge.should I place it on a wooden stool or something? Or doesn't it matter?

MAJOR UPDATE:- GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!

The RMA centre just sent me a text on my phone. "Your product RMA no. blah blah blah.Replacement:- Ready for collection" !!!!

Damn can't wait :D :D Will run off to collect it tomorrow morning!

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ That's really Fast ( talking about the RMA ) - only 5 days.

coming back to the power issue - check the mobo without connecting it with the cabby - like I said before just place it on a table - don't attach any cabinet wires to the mobo - ( keep the cabby on another room ) and test and post result.

OP
J

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
Yes even I am surprised by the fast RMA. I gave it on friday and they texted me on tuesday. That too there were non working days in between(sat and sun).

I just hope they have the right replacement ready. :| that is,the overclocked version of the r6850(860Mhz).

And yes, I'm not getting any free time. Will check and post results of the power issue as soon as possible.

Update:- Looks like my luck is not that good after all. The replacement they issued was clearly of an older card which looked ancient and used and there were a lot of soldering done behind the card. I refused to accept it as a replacement and asked them to replace it with a new card. The guy at the service centre(Pradipta) said he will ask them for a new card and let me know. But I called up the guy who is the distributor of msi and he said that a new card will most probably not be issued. :(

Sighs...I am so upset and confused. I don't know whether I should email msi or wait and see what Pradipta says after he talks with the higher ups.

SunE

Professional Newbie
^^ Bro as I had mentioned before, call them up and STRICTLY ASK FOR A NEW REPLACEMENT BY FRIDAY.

OP
J

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
^ I was pretty strict man. I said I will absolutely not accept an older card and I wanted a new one. I am ready to return the box etc of my present card. Pradipta said he will call the higher ups and call me and let me know is said to him.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes even I am surprised by the fast RMA. I gave it on friday and they texted me on tuesday. That too there were non working days in between(sat and sun).

I just hope they have the right replacement ready. :| that is,the overclocked version of the r6850(860Mhz).

And yes, I'm not getting any free time. Will check and post results of the power issue as soon as possible.

Update:- Looks like my luck is not that good after all. The replacement they issued was clearly of an older card which looked ancient and used and there were a lot of soldering done behind the card. I refused to accept it as a replacement and asked them to replace it with a new card. The guy at the service centre(Pradipta) said he will ask them for a new card and let me know. But I called up the guy who is the distributor of msi and he said that a new card will most probably not be issued. :(

Sighs...I am so upset and confused. I don't know whether I should email msi or wait and see what Pradipta says after he talks with the higher ups.

not good .... I think you should wait to hear what the guy at the service center has to say first .. then we can think about any other necessary steps.

OP
J

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
Yes thats what I am doing. I will call pradipta up a little later and see where things stand.

I have decided to send him the following email:-

"

Hello sir,

I,Saptarshi Bhadra, dropped off my graphics card MSI R6850 Cyclone power edition(OC edition) at Smartlink Network Systems last friday. I was issued a replacement the following tuesday but the replacement was a very old card which had clearly been extensively used and repaired. I am sure you remember my case since you agreed to let me know after talking with your higher ups. Well, here are a few things I would like you to mention to your higher ups when you talk to them.

1.) I will absolutely not accept an older repaired card as a replacement. This is highly unjust since the card I gave for RMA was only a month old and had been used only for a week and it had trouble from the beginning.I am not asking anything unjust since I bought the card only a month ago and used it for barely a week. It is not my fault if the card is defective. I believe it is fair for a company of MSI's reputation to issue me a new card as a replacement and not an old card which has been used and repaired.

2.) I am ready to return the graphics card's box along with all the accessories that I received, but I need a new graphics card(of the same card which I bought) as the replacement.

3.) It is vital that the graphics card I am issued as replacement is the same OC version as the one I bought. The MSI R6850 Cyclone power edition has two versions. A normal one and an OC edition. My card was an OC edition card(I can prove this from the box I still have). I am providing the links to both versions of the card so one can see that they are not the same card even if they look the same and physical dimensions match.

A.) Normal edition:- MSI India - Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Mainboard, Graphics and more

B.) OC edition:- MSI India - Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Mainboard, Graphics and more

The normal edition has Core clock:- 775 Mhz and Menory clock:- 4000 Mhz. The OC edition has core clock:- 860 Mhz and Memory clock:- 4400 Mhz

So I will not accept the normal edition as a replacement. I paid my hard earned money and bought the OC edition of the card. I expect the replacement to be the same. And there is quite a bit of difference in performance between the 2 versions.

That is all that I want you to take up and explain to the people you are about to talk to regarding this issue. I hope you understand that it is hampering both my work and mental peace when a hardware error causes such troubles after only a week of use.
I bought the card paying my hard earned money and Rs.9360 is not a small amount that I can afford to spend everyday. And it is highly unfair to provide me with an old card as a replacement. As I have said before,I bought the card a month ago(used for a week) and under no circumstances am I willing to settle for an older card as a replacement.
I believe I have explained my points well enough. I expect a new card to be provided as a replacement soon since I have some urgent work to attend to and it cannot be completed without a graphics card.

Thanking you,
Saptarshi Bhadra.

"

saswat23

Human Spambot
Yup, send him this mail.
So, this is what their fast RMA service is all about. Dont accept the old card. Also ask him if he can give you a better version say, GTX-560 or HD 6870 for some extra bucks if OCed model of HD 6850 is not available.

OP
J

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
Update with power problem:- I took everything out of cabby and tried powering up with just mobo+cpu+ram+hdd with the psu. nothing solved. same problems. I then connected my crap frontech psu and everything was solved. All the problems in the youtube videos did not happen. so i guess furmark ruined my corsair GS600 too. :-X Will give it for RMA then.

Can anyone tell me the exact address of the RMA centre of corsair in kolkata?

I sent him that mail. he said he has talked with people of msi and higher ups in delhi. He asked me to return the box and they will send a replacement soon. Will return the box tomorrow most probably(after taking pics and videos of the box).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom